NBC - Possibly one of the best coverages of football?

ManUtd1999

Some weird tension between Martino and Mustoe today. Where the feck is Earle ?
Yes, that wasn't nice to see.

I think this started on Wednesday-- they had an argument about whether or not Manchester United has improved under Mourinho. Martino said yes, Mustoe had a different opinion. It continued today, but this time about Ranieri.

I must say that Mustoe tends to contradict Martino's opinions almost all the time. He speaks second about the issues and that makes him having the "final word". Martino, it seems, does not want to take it anymore.

Oh, and I love the NBC coverage.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
:lol: Missed the Wednesday stuff, but makes perfect sense. They need to feck Martino off and bring Earle back.

Chekhov

Supports
A wife and three kids
:lol: Missed the Wednesday stuff, but makes perfect sense. They need to feck Martino off and bring Earle back.
I picked up on the tension, as well. I'm not a Martino fan in the least, but if Mustoe is most at fault here, why should Martino be given the boot. It's not as if Mustoe's that much better as an analyst--or better at all.

JustinC00

Fox Sports just went ahead of NBCSN in the "fit female football presenters" department bringing in Kate Abdo to present their coverage

ManUtd1999

Mustoe like to behave as the one who is always right and he speaks with authority in his voice. I'm not a big fan of him either. Earle is actually my favorite.

Kyle Martino didn't say that Ranieri should be fired, but that he may not have enough support until the end of the season. Mustoe said that it's too early but made it sounds very different from Martino's opinion... and then that weird moment happened.

Fox Sports just went ahead of NBCSN in the "fit female football presenters" department bringing in Kate Abdo to present their coverage
I'm still in Rebecca Lowe's camp :)

Chekhov

Supports
A wife and three kids
I picked up on the tension, as well. I'm not a Martino fan in the least, but if Mustoe is most at fault here, why should Martino be given the boot. It's not as if Mustoe's that much better as an analyst--or better at all.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I prefer English studio presenters/analysts in general.

cyberman

Must be better than Niall Fecking Quinn. His Irish granny 'Oh it'll be grand, get togehter and sort this out lads, ah now he's wonderful' spiel has lasted 30 mins now and my ears are bleeding.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Why? A great many of them stink at analyzing football-about as bad as the English generally do at playing football.
The American accent just diminishes the spirit and verve of the game. A bit like watching NFL games with English commentators. Its just not the same.

ManUtd1999

The American accent just diminishes the spirit and verve of the game. A bit like watching NFL games with English commentators. Its just not the same.
I actually like some American commentators and I'm OK with Martino. Taylor Twellman (ESPN) is actually good and so is Julie Foudy.

Flytan

I actually like some American commentators and I'm OK with Martino. Taylor Twellman (ESPN) is actually good and so is Julie Foudy.
Anyone but Gus Johnson. Do you remember his UCL coverage? Screaming uncontrollably when shots went 40 yards wide.

NBC coverage is decent overall and for the most part I don't see any of the commentators (even the ones announcing games) being biased.

ManUtd1999

Anyone but Gus Johnson. Do you remember his UCL coverage? Screaming uncontrollably when shots went 40 yards wide.

NBC coverage is decent overall and for the most part I don't see any of the commentators (even the ones announcing games) being biased.
That was terrible indeed.

liamp

But they're pundits...I can understand this sentiment if we're talking about play-by-play guys (i.e. Arlo White vs. Gus Johnson) or color commentators, but there's no game to diminish when the pundits start talking. Martino seems much more knowledgeable and unbiased than either Earle or Mustoe.

Chekhov

Supports
A wife and three kids
If those English commentators were making good points-which evidently is far too much to ask of the dim-witted former NFL players that pollute the sets of ESPN and the NFL network-I would actually tune in. F--k the accents.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
I like Martino. Think he comes across as pretty knowledgeable and unbiased, and doesn't seem to want to stick it to United likeany others out there. Regarding accents, I really don't mind American accents as long as they know what they're talking about and not over exaggerate themselves where they sound like shitty NFL commentators plucked out of Madden.

The American guys who do La Liga matches on BeIN are pretty decent imo. And then you have guys like Alexi Lalas who should never see another set again in their lifetime.

Can understand why English accents are preferred though. It does sound more authentic, indeed.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If those English commentators were making good points-which evidently is far too much to ask of the dim-witted former NFL players that pollute the sets of ESPN and the NFL network-I would actually tune in. F--k the accents.
Its mainly a cultural thing. I just prefer English accents with football commentary because that's what I'm used to. Americans just lack the cultural awareness in their commentary.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
"Oh my Gaaahd, that's a jumbo challenge! That dude has gotta be ejected..."

Nikhil

NBCSN had a documentary on Sunderland today. They are doing these shows a lot now. Very good. Very good coverage.

Also, Jon Champion is one of my favourite commentators. His voice and accent add a lot to the game. Jim Beglin is good too.

ManUtd1999

Robbie Mustoe should start giving Kyle Martino more respect. I don't like his attitude; he always tries to look like the superior guy.

Dave46

I watch most games on the road and the stream is always good and free, since I have a home subscription through Direct TV.

Dave46

NBC doesn't carry the league cup matches. Actually have no idea who carries the league cup here in the states, but NBC only does the Premier League.
FA Cup is on Fox. Bein carries Community Shield.

klayton88

I enjoy these 3pm kick offs on NBC more than anything on Sky or BT. Seeing the goals at half time from the other games and the constant updates of the other games at the top is great. The fact other countries get to watch all of our 3pm kick offs though and we don't is just stupid.

ManUtd1999

I enjoy these 3pm kick offs on NBC more than anything on Sky or BT. Seeing the goals at half time from the other games and the constant updates of the other games at the top is great. The fact other countries get to watch all of our 3pm kick offs though and we don't is just stupid.
NBC has taken soccer coverage in the United States to very high levels.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
NBC has taken soccer coverage in the United States to very high levels.
Yes, it's wonderful being able to see all the games. Including all the half time goals. The area where they need a big upgrade is in the punditry department. Martino, Earle and Mustoe are as clueless as they are annoying. The overkill on the suits and ties, is an homage to NFL coverage. I do like Arlo White as the primary commentator, and Le Saux and, especially, Dixon as the colour commentators. In contrast, whenever I tune into Bein and have to listen to Ray Hudson, I want to stab myself in the eardrums.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Yes, it's wonderful being able to see all the games. Including all the half time goals. The area where they need a big upgrade is in the punditry department. Martino, Earle and Mustoe are as clueless as they are annoying. The overkill on the suits and ties, is an homage to NFL coverage. I do like Arlo White as the primary commentator, and Le Saux and, especially, Dixon as the colour commentators. In contrast, whenever I tune into Bein and have to listen to Ray Hudson, I want to stab myself in the eardrums.
:lol: Don't we all? I'm curious to know... who could you tolerate more, him or Tommy Smyth?

Alan Partridge

I have a huge man crush on Arlo White. Great commentary which doesn't just focus on lambasting individual errors (ahem Townsend, Beglin). He usually makes me laugh out loud a few times in the match. Great subtle benign sort of humour. Just love me some Arlo!

Twisted Nerve

I have a huge man crush on Arlo White. Great commentary which doesn't just focus on lambasting individual errors (ahem Townsend, Beglin). He usually makes me laugh out loud a few times in the match. Great subtle benign sort of humour. Just love me some Arlo!
Not a huge Arlo fan (although I do like the exchanges between hmself and Lee Dixon & Le Saux) but he's definitely better than listening to that awful monotonic drone of Martin Tyler. God he bores me to death with his constant waffle about nothing, just for the sake of talking, and his err.... constant pauses within err.... each sentence

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
I wish I can watch the match without the commentry but With the atmosphere.
Their ridiculous comments about Arsenal's handball goal was so annoying. The unintentional handball rule is meant to protect the defender not reward the attacker.