g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Nelson Semedo

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Cèdric Soares is better than him? That can't be a good thing.

Devil may care

What I'd like about this is that it would show good planning by the club, unlike when we bought Shaw and he had to take straight over from Evra, we'd give Semedo a season to transition into the role and take over from Valencia.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
What I'd like about this is that it would show good planning by the club, unlike when we bought Shaw and he had to take straight over from Evra, we'd give Semedo a season to transition into the role and take over from Valencia.
In my opinion he will bench Valencia quicker than many think.

NYAS

:lol: Cedric Soares is not better than him, that's either a load of shite or sarcasm over Portugal's national team selections.

Philadelphian

Know nothing about him, but do know we are woefully short of quality in our FB positions and it has been a major part of our struggle to get our attack back on track.

Cliche Guevara

In my opinion he will bench Valencia quicker than many think.
I agree completely! No doubt Valencia has done really well, but I think his limitations in delivering a decent ball are being shown with increasing regularity. It looks like that position is very important to the way we play, and has to produce assists on a fairly consistent basis.

Red_toad

Know nothing about him, but do know we are woefully short of quality in our FB positions and it has been a major part of our struggle to get our attack back on track.
Valencia is arguably the best right back in the league and if Shaw can get a run of games, he's an immense young talent. But we're woefully short of quality options?

To be honest if we're blaming the left and right back for the inability of our attacking players to convert chances, then it's very worrying.

Gerald G

With Valencia's age it makes sense. However, if Valencia keeps this form up then I can't see him replacing him right now.
I worry more about our left back spot. I love Shaw but Jose isn't playing him & our other options are not good enough.

Philadelphian

Valencia is arguably the best right back in the league and if Shaw can get a run of games, he's an immense young talent. But we're woefully short of quality options?

To be honest if we're blaming the left and right back for the inability of our attacking players to convert chances, then it's very worrying.
Shaw shouldn't even be in the conversation unfortunately as it looks like a major turnaround is the only way he's in our future. And Valencia, for all his work rate and all the good positions he finds himself in, very rarely produces the goods.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Shaw shouldn't even be in the conversation unfortunately as it looks like a major turnaround is the only way he's in our future. And Valencia, for all his work rate and all the good positions he finds himself in, very rarely produces the goods.
Which full backs around right now consistently produce the goods.

m1y2

just finished watching that 16mins 16/17 highlights video, this guy is absolute must, he's like right footed paddy evra, would easily send 40milion for him, looking potentially like a world class rb in the future, question would be if he could play on the left too, because this Valencia would be hard to get ahead of in the pecking order...

Womp

idiot
just finished watching that 16mins 16/17 highlights video, this guy is absolute must, he's like right footed paddy evra, would easily send 40milion for him, looking potentially like a world class rb in the future, question would be if he could play on the left too, because this Valencia would be hard to get ahead of in the pecking order...
You can't really discount that Valencia's end product usually leaves a lot to be desired. A lot of his crosses are smashed rather than actually aimed. That being said, he's been the best RB in the league for me, made the right side of the field his at times.

Philadelphian

Spurs have 2. Chelsea addressed it by going to wingbacks who have been very productive. Pep is now addressing it by going away from inverted wingers and back to standard wingers who can stretch the pitch, run at the defense and get to the line. Barca and both Madrid have had better play from those positions of course. Juve have used different formations to address it. PSG has good fullbacks. Bayern of course.

But what do we do? We have nothing on the left (Darmian, Blind, Rojo) and we persist with Valencia who I do like, but not when he is our only width. Because for all the good he does, he is still a predictable player, which is why the majority of his crosses are blocked, and very few of the rest are accurate.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Valencia is the wrong side of 30 now, with European games he cant keep this up forever and we need a competent replacement. Darmian isn't that. get this lad signed, rotate him in and in a few years he will be first choice No problem.

We made the same mistake with Shaw.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
I replied above and forgot to quote you.
I find it hugely debateable how much more productive Walker and Rose are, considering they're in a system built for them to attack and according to Who Scored, Valencia has more assists than Rose so far this season, and only 2 less than Walker whos far more susceptible defensively.

Who do Barcelona actually play at RB lately? Whenever I've seen them its been either Vidal who before the last month has been rubbish or Sergio Roberto? I believe? who's terrible. Alba hasn't been in decent form either for a long, long time now.

So far in this thread, we have fans on here clamouring for this guy based off of youtube videos, he has exactly 1 cap for Portugal and a Portugese fan on the previous page has stated the Southampton FB Cèdric Soares is acually better than him.

Womp

idiot
I find it hugely debateable how much more productive Walker and Rose are, considering they're in a system built for them to attack and according to Who Scored, Valencia has more assists than Rose so far this season, and only 2 less than Walker whos far more susceptible defensively.

Who do Barcelona actually play at RB lately? Whenever I've seen them its been either Vidal who before the last month has been rubbish or Sergio Roberto? I believe? who's terrible. Alba hasn't been in decent form either for a long, long time now.

So far in this thread, we have fans on here clamouring for this guy based off of youtube videos, he has exactly 1 cap for Portugal and a Portugese fan on the previous page has stated the Southampton FB Cèdric Soares is acually better than him.
That's a WUM.

Devil may care

I hope not too but they have previous form for this.
That's true, Garay, Gaitan, Sanches and Lindelof. There is a recent article though, from Sports Witness who are pretty good at calling out the bullshit that suggests there might be something actually in this one, and given we have zero competition or cover for a 32 year old player it would make sense.

NYAS

That's true, Garay, Gaitan, Sanches and Lindelof. There is a recent article though, from Sports Witness who are pretty good at calling out the bullshit that suggests there might be something actually in this one, and given we have zero competition or cover for a 32 year old player it would make sense.
Don't forget they also said Guedes was going to come as well. The annoying thing about it is the arrogance and absolute certainty that they attach to the stories, it's not even speculation to them.

I predict Rafa Silva being the next one linked to us in the same way, although I genuinely hope for the Nelsinho story to come true.

AgentP

We should definitely sign him. He looks like the new Dani Alves. Just won't stop running. We should get a new LB as well unless Shaw's form drastically picks up. With our inverted wingers, we need attacking full backs to provide the width. It will be vital in breaking down teams that park the bus.

Smashin

Supports
Sporting CP
That's a WUM.
It's just an opinion from someone who has watched plenty of games from both and also the overall opinion of Portuguese fans.

Just thinking back on the Euro 2016 where Semedo was injured, in the group phase we played with Vieirinha, which is absolutely awfull at RB.
In the knock-out matches Cédric finally started playing and it was a great and obvious improvement. He ended up being an important piece in the Euro Win and no one really remembered or regreted that we missed out on Nelson Semedo. So yea Cédric is highly rated here.

Semedo is a good player and he was playing really well before his injury, wether he's United material and if he can adapt to the PL thats a different question. He would need to bulk up a bit :)

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
This smells like more Benfica bullshit
Agreed, if there's one thing we've all learnt it's that any Portugese outlet can't be trusted. They'll be trying to drum up an interest by using our name.

bucky

It's just an opinion from someone who has watched plenty of games from both and also the overall opinion of Portuguese fans.

Just thinking back on the Euro 2016 where Semedo was injured, in the group phase we played with Vieirinha, which is absolutely awfull at RB.
In the knock-out matches Cédric finally started playing and it was a great and obvious improvement. He ended up being an important piece in the Euro Win and no one really remembered or regreted that we missed out on Nelson Semedo. So yea Cédric is highly rated here.

Semedo is a good player and he was playing really well before his injury, wether he's United material and if he can adapt to the PL thats a different question. He would need to bulk up a bit :)
What's the consensus on Ricardo Pereira?

NYAS

Internationals games alone are not a strong enough basis to say that Cedric Soares is better than Nelson. If that were the case then Mario Gomez would be considered better than Muller. Of course he isn't.

NYAS

Well this season he's been playing the best football of his life after his injury. I think that's what most of the discussion is about!

Zoo

I guess with Lahm retiring Semedo will be a target for Bayern.

bucky

Wouldn't surprise me if they go for Henrichs or Passlack. They've already signed Rudy, who can play there as well.

RRCE

I was thinking the same thing. I'm sure they'll have some other options as well, but if this kid really has that much potential, Bayern will be competing for him.

NinjaFletch

Valencia is 31 but is a supreme athlete, do we think he has another 3 or 4 years at the top? This Semedo kid looks the part but are we actually after him.
No. Not really, he's positionally poor and relies on his athleticism. Once it goes I don't think he has the tools to cover for it.

NYAS

:lol: Here comes the Portuguese press bullshit again, means feck all. I could have written that when I found out Lahm was retiring.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Can't see Bayern spending that much on a fullback. They will go for a cheaper German alternative IMO.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
:lol: Here comes the Portuguese press bullshit again, means feck all. I could have written that when I found out Lahm was retiring.
Chances of him going to Bayern have now been reduced to 0, Portugese press is rubbish.