Nelson Semedo

We need an rvn

Valencia is 31 but is a supreme athlete, do we think he has another 3 or 4 years at the top? This Semedo kid looks the part but are we actually after him.
No idea if we are or not, we're being liked with so many players it's hard to tell truth for lie. But planning like that is why our midfield has been a mess don't you think - ie. let's wait until x player is past it and then look for the replacement. Don't see any harm in getting the kid in now and give him a year or so to settled into United / new league etc.

NYAS

Chances of him going to Bayern have now been reduced to 0, Portugese press is rubbish.
So many teams will be looking for a right-back this summer (United, Chelsea, City, Barca, Bayern) and you can be sure that report had no inside information and simply made something out of Lahm's retirement and Nelsinho's emergence.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I'm not saying this is true either way, but for those dismissing this as all 'Portuguese media bollocks', it is worth remembering that news of our alleged interest first broke from James Ducker, in his '£180m over next two windows' story in December.

It wasn't an 'according to reports in Portugal' article if I remember correctly.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
So many teams will be looking for a right-back this summer (United, Chelsea, City, Barca, Bayern) and you can be sure that report had no inside information and simply made something out of Lahm's retirement and Nelsinho's emergence.
Yeah absolutely, they put 2+2 together basically.

NYAS

I'm not saying this is true either way, but for those dismissing this as all 'Portuguese media bollocks', it is worth remembering that news of our alleged interest first broke from James Ducker, in his '£180m over next two windows' story in December.

It wasn't an 'according to reports in Portugal' article if I remember correctly.
I'm doubting Bayern's interest in him so suddenly (see last page), not ours. I believe our links to him are stronger than those of Bayern's, which have only come from the Portuguese press in the last couple of days after Lahm's retirement. Wasn't talking about our links.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I doubt United will spend 60m on a RB either

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I'm doubting Bayern's interest in him so suddenly (see last page), not ours. I believe our links to him are stronger than those of Bayern's, which have only come from the Portuguese press in the last couple of days after Lahm's retirement. Wasn't talking about our links.
I wasn't referring to you specifically. I believe Ramshock initially dismissed it, and many others followed.

It may all be nothing of course, but just reminding that there have certainly been British links too, and not red tops.

devilish

That's his release clause. The above tweets are saying that Benifca won't settle for less than €40 million so that suggests they aren't expecting €60 million for him.
Its still alot of money for a fullback

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He'll probably be about £25m plus significant add-ons I'd guess.

NYAS

I wasn't referring to you specifically. I believe Ramshock initially dismissed it, and many others followed.

It may all be nothing of course, but just reminding that there have certainly been British links too, and not red tops.
That's why I think our links are stronger. Combined with the fact that we have scouts at most Benfica games, even after the likes of Gaitan and Garay and Sanches have left.

AgentP

If he is really as good as the YouTube videos, everyone will be after him in the summer. If Barcelona comes for him, I can't see him going anywhere else. He has more competition for a starting place at United(Valencia) than at Barcelona.

devilish

Full backs are very important these days, both in defense and offense.
That's true. Also top quality ones are rare. I can't think of anyone at the moment at par with the likes of Zanetti

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
If he is really as good as the YouTube videos, everyone will be after him in the summer. If Barcelona comes for him, I can't see him going anywhere else. He has more competition for a starting place at United(Valencia) than at Barcelona.
The Barca link is likely coming. They are desperate for a right back, they have basically played the entire season without one. Albers and Montoya both left in the summer, and they have been playing Sergi Roberto, who is a midfielder, and a substitute one at that, as their RB.

Nelson looks as much like a young Alves as I've seen.

BigCaine

Whats with the barcelona links, aren't they trying to sign cancelo.

AgentP

The Barca link is likely coming. They are desperate for a right back, they have basically played the entire season without one. Albers and Montoya both left in the summer, and they have been playing Sergi Roberto, who is a midfielder, and a substitute one at that, as their RB.

That is what I'm fearing too. And in all truth, Barca need him more than us. That is why I was hoping we sign him now and loan him back to Benfica till the summer.

mav_9me

Alves at 28 million was money very well spent.

Now I am not saying he is that good. I hardly know him. My point is more that if he turns out to be good he can easily be worth 40 million pounds, particularly considering his age.

Not too dissimilar to spending 30m on Luke Shaw. If you feel they are good enough, at their age not wrong to spend such amounts.

NoPace

Yeah ive seen a bunch of barca lately and the gap between Alba and Sergi Roberto is insane.

cyberman

Barca can't afford him with all their renewals. They'll be focused on strengthening their midfield imo

NYAS

I'm expecting to watch him tonight. Benfica welcome Arouca and it starts at 8:30 PM UK time, if anyone's interested. Not based in the UK so couldn't tell you what channel it'll be on.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
I think most clubs will be after Meunier or Aurier instead.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Chelsea? Would not have thought so!

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You think Moses will stay as their right wing-back? There have already been reports that Conte is looking to upgrade that position.
Think Moses and Valencia have been the most impressive (improvement) for any clubs this year. I think Moses is in running for team of the year so why replace him when his performance level has been so high?

NYAS

Just had a big hand in Benfica's 3rd goal. At right-back, played a one-two and flew down the wing before cutting infield and playing a pass, assisting the assist. :smirk:

bucky

Will Chelsea be sticking with that formation long term?
They could, considering they could replace Terry and Cahill with Zouma, Ake and Christensen. Moses and Alonso have been brilliant for them and both are just 26. They'll probably look for wing-backs, but I don't think they need to add a lot.

JohnnyLaw

Wasn't an easy game to make a judgement on him, he was pulled about alot while trying to mark Reus as Dortmund was constantly overrunning Benfica and creating 2 v 1 situations on his side. Reus was also doing a really good job tracking back to stop the counter so he didn't really get going offensively either.

Devil may care

I was impressed with him tonight, his footwork in tight spacess is class, he got the ball away under a strong press more than once and marked Reus well, especially given he got very little help from Salvio.

NYAS

Just assisted Mitroglu's goal with a cross. 1-0 Benfica vs Chaves.

NYAS

Skinned two players on the byline and had his cut-back blocked :drool:

Edit: edited this post to avoid spamming the thread but he just got his second assist. Low ball across the box for a tap-in.

Last edited: