Nelson Semedo

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Better player based on what exactly?
Independent Sports journos and the members of the PFA
the age comment is pointless, as we are comparing players in the here and now, not based on future potential.
Bellerin is better now and will improve further.

Valencia has been one of Uniteds best players this season and he maintains a very high level throughout. I would say he never gives any less that a 7/10 performance. This season in particular he is proving beastly and his speed is proving very difficult for attackers to compete against. That strength and pace combo along with his improved defensive positioning (thanks to Jose?) has been great to watch. All that while bombing up and down the right flank.
Don't disagree with that. Valencia is an asset to United but Bellerin is even better.

A quick side by side Squawka comparison of the two players shows that Valencia has the better stats this season also (I don't normally use stats but thought I'd check as I've missed a few Arsenal games).

Bellerin is a very good player but to say he is better is a bit short sighted imo
Must be a lot of short sighted people around then. Think I'll buy shares in Specsavers ;)

Clas Sified

Bellerin isn't as good as Valencia, at least for now. His a bit suspect defensively, and he's very rash. Fortunately, his pace, which is probably his greatest asset, is good enough that in most cases he can recover, but he's still young and inexperienced and it tells in his play.

I was having a chat with an Arsenal-supporting mate, and he's naturally watched more of Bellerin than me. He too agrees that although Bellerin has a higher ceiling, Valencia's been the best RB this season.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
Bellerin isn't as good as Valencia, at least for now. His a bit suspect defensively, and he's very rash. Fortunately, his pace, which is probably his greatest asset, is good enough that in most cases he can recover, but he's still young and inexperienced and it tells in his play.

I was having a chat with an Arsenal-supporting mate, and he's naturally watched more of Bellerin than me. He too agrees that although Bellerin has a higher ceiling, Valencia's been the best RB this season.
OK you go with your Arsenal supporting mate, I'll put more faith in the opinions of the players past and present
http://metro.co.uk/2016/11/01/hecto...-premier-league-admits-rio-ferdinand-6227783/

Ekeke

Benfica fan here. Although the Lindelof deal is being reported as practically done here in Portugal, it would come as a big surprise if Semedo also left the club in Jan. The fans would be devastated because of a relevant lack of options for RB.
It seems a bit strange though. When the kind of money thats being talked about for Lindelof and Semedo is on the table, fans and clubs arent usually talking about whether they currently have an in-house replacement. With that money you'll buy someone to replace him if that happens and you'll have many options and still make a huge profit.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
If you find a special talent you try to get that player, even though our current RB is still very good. We have enough games and in order to avoid losing him, it's normal to get him.
It would be great to sign him now and get him in summer, best solution imo. Let's see

Gianni

It seems a bit strange though. When the kind of money thats being talked about for Lindelof and Semedo is on the table, fans and clubs arent usually talking about whether they currently have an in-house replacement. With that money you'll buy someone to replace him if that happens and you'll have many options and still make a huge profit.
Yes but we're in January and unless this has been anticipated a long time ago by Benfica, there is not enough time to sign a quality replacement for Semedo. Benfica is fighting to win the title and is still playing in the Champions League so the bar is set way high.

Clas Sified

OK you go with your Arsenal supporting mate, I'll put more faith in the opinions of the players past and present
http://metro.co.uk/2016/11/01/hecto...-premier-league-admits-rio-ferdinand-6227783/
The opinions of players past and present is credible of course, but is also at the end of the day, just opinions; same as mine, my mate's and yours. Of course they are nore informed than us, but pundits and ex-players also sometimes come out with the most ridiculous of opinions, and I'm sure I don't need to find evidence of such opinions for you.

Now I'm not saying that the notion that Bellerin is better than Valencia is ridiculous, but instead of just posting Ferdinand's opinions, I'd love to hear why you think Bellerin is the superior RB.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Every article I've read is saying a deal could be done now but the player would only move in the summer.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
From the little I've seen of him he looks to have immense potential and I really do hope we can strike a deal for him for next season.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Should I dig up a Fergie quote regarding Dong Fangzhuo? People/players love seeing youngsters impress in the first team.

Also having a higher ceiling doesn't mean squat, many on here were convinced Rafael would be Dani Alves level good by now, look at how his potential panned out?

Bellerin hasn't really improved since he first started getting games for Arsenal, he's the the Spanish Kyle Walker, don't get me wrong he might reach that ceiling of his, but Valencia is already at his and its a pretty damn good ceiling.

Each to their own though.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
If this guy's level is anywhere near what is presented in his YouTube comps then for gods sake sign him up, a right sided Evra if I ever saw one.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
@Gianni

Seen as though you're a benfica fan, What do you honestly think of nelson semedo?

Is he as good as people are making out and can he become one of the best in the world?

do you think he could adapt to the premier league? He looks like he might have to bulk up abit as he looks quite skinny.

That said He does look great on YouTube compilations but that can make anyone look good (see Darmian, Memphis etc) so I don't tend to trust them.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
The opinions of players past and present is credible of course, but is also at the end of the day, just opinions; same as mine, my mate's and yours.
I'm perfectly aware that our personal opinions are valid but do you honestly believe that they are as informed as those who play, analyse and coach the game for a living? An individual can make a mistake or gave an agenda but how much evidence do you need that Bellerin is exceptional whereas Valencia is a very good player enjoying an Indian Summer to the end of his career. There were plenty on here last season who wanted him out of the team.
Bellerin suits a team with a slick passing pacy game who defend by pushing back opposing full backs and wingbacks neutralising any threat they carry. He's just signed a new contract with Arsenal which is a blow to City and his former club Barcelona who would love to nab him.
He's a regular starter for Spain, an FA Cup Winner, a PFA Team of the Season Member and he's not 22 yet.

they are nore informed than us, but pundits and ex-players also sometimes come out with the most ridiculous of opinions, and I'm sure I don't need to find evidence of such opinions for you.

Now I'm not saying that the notion that Bellerin is better than Valencia is ridiculous, but instead of just posting Ferdinand's opinions, I'd love to hear why you think Bellerin is the superior RB.

OohAahMartial

/thread If there's nothing to the Lindelof deal then most likely there is nothing to the Semedo one either. Lock it until someone reliable (non-portuguese) source comes up with it.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
Should I dig up a Fergie quote regarding Dong Fangzhuo? People/players love seeing youngsters impress in the first team.
No need old bean. Dong is nowhere near a direct comparison to Bellerin. Shaw might be nearer the mark.
Also having a higher ceiling doesn't mean squat, many on here were convinced Rafael would be Dani Alves level good by now, look at how his potential panned out?
Nothing would surprise me about comparisons made on here. Some posters are so desperate to elevate fine prospects to the level of supreme players that they forget the steps that need to be taken to get there.

Bellerin hasn't really improved since he first started getting games for Arsenal, he's the the Spanish Kyle Walker, don't get me wrong he might reach that ceiling of his, but Valencia is already at his and its a pretty damn good ceiling.
Can't agree with that. He's achieved so much in his short time as a regular starter at a time when his club have suffered many crucial injuries and the mental fatigue that ensues when a Manager has been there too long.

Each to their own though.

pawanraj

Just saw that Semedo's agent is Gestifute. Make it happen Mendes!

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
The second point is exactly what I'm talking about, Bellerin is all potential, Rafael had a better season than he has ever had, Bellerin hasn't achieved anuthi noteworthy, if we're going in trophies won then Valencia again out shines him, anyway, this chat isn't relevant to this thread on that we both can't definitely agree.:lol:

Gianni

@Gianni

Seen as though you're a benfica fan, What do you honestly think of nelson semedo?

Is he as good as people are making out and can he become one of the best in the world?

do you think he could adapt to the premier league? He looks like he might have to bulk up abit as he looks quite skinny.

That said He does look great on YouTube compilations but that can make anyone look good (see Darmian, Memphis etc) so I don't tend to trust them.
I would say that the risk here is bigger.
Yes he is proving to be quality RB specially in attack. He can go forward very well and participate in attack. He is very good at showing up at the end of the plays and the fact that he can score is really good.
The thing is, he still needs to improve his deffending skills. This isn't much noticed in the portuguese league but I really think that it may be noticed in a more competitive league. Despite this, I really think this kid can improve alot and add some skills to his game.
It's too soon to say that he may or not become a world class player. Don't want to risk with an answer. Has the potential to do so.
I would definately say that he should bulk up but that won't be a problem. Just let him train with Valencia at the gym. :)

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Yes he is proving to be quality RB specially in attack. He can go forward very well and participate in attack. He is very good at showing up at the end of the plays and the fact that he can score is really good.
The thing is, he still needs to improve his deffending skills. This isn't much noticed in the portuguese league but I really think that it may be noticed in a more competitive league. Despite this, I really think this kid can improve alot and add some skills to his game.
It's too soon to say that he may or not become a world class player. Don't want to risk with an answer. Has the potential to do so.
I would definately say that he should bulk up but that won't be a problem. Just let him train with Valencia at the gym. :)

Ok cheers,

I read all over twitter that his potential is through the roof, numerous people saying he's on his way to becoming one of the best fullbacks in football.

I'm not overly bothered about his defending that can be polished and worked on especially with mourinho, if he's good going forward that's all I'm bothered about. As good as Valencia is at driving up the field he gets to the opponents box and usually nothing happens. It'd be nice to have a more attacking fullback threat.

jb8521

I haven't watched him a huge amount but every time I've seen him he seems to allow the opposition wingers to put in a huge number of crosses, it doesn't tend to lead to much with Luisao there but could be a bigger problem if he does move to England

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'm very confident his defensive game will improve alot under Mourinho. He's a explosive fullback with fantastic attacking qualities that would be a great addition to our first 11.

If we don't sign him then he will go on to be a great signing for Bayern or Barca in my opinion.

The United

An attacking FB will give other team wingers some spaces at times anyway. There is no way you can be so attacking minded and perfectly defend the wing to prevent wingers from putting crosses in every match all the time unless you are cafu.

People saying he reminds them of evra is good for offense. But for defending, evra was hardly 'the master' of it. In fact, there were shit loads of threads popping up about him not covering the wing as fast as he should and how goals leaking from his side even at his peak.

Ashley cole was seen the better LB for a few years by some due to his defensive solidity more so than evra.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
The second point is exactly what I'm talking about, Bellerin is all potential,
No, he's achieved splendidly.
Rafael had a better season than he has ever had, Bellerin hasn't achieved anuthi noteworthy, if we're going in trophies won then Valencia again out shines him
After a decade or so at Manchester United I would hope he has more silverware than a 21 year old at Arsenal has, anyway, this chat isn't relevant to this thread on that we both can't definitely agree.:lol:

We could only agree if Bellerin signed for United or Valencia bailed out of United in which case I'm sure your blind loyalty to your guy would evaporate.:D

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Blind loyalty? if you could see the newbs you'd see me criticising Valencia last season, I hated the fact we settled for an okay winger for a right back but this season he really has been much better than a 21 year old that hasn't improved much.

We'll see who Bellerin ends up playing for, if he stays at Arsenal until he retires my guess is he won't win a heck of a lot, but judging player on team trophies is a moot point, because Steven Gerrard is obviously better than John O'Shea.

Anyway, this Samedo fella looks expensive for a player who's only played 30ish games.

Fergies Formula

Wow he is class and has that pace and magic we need from that position. I would love it if we signed him, only seen him on YouTube but that's enough to cement the notion that he is one of the next big things in football.

AgentP

He seems to be a much better dribbler than Valencia and he actually uses his left foot so he will do better in one on one situations. His crossing also looks to be pretty decent. Can't really comment on how good he is defending. If he can defend as well as Valencia, we should definitely sign him. Let's get the deal done now and lend him back to Benfica till summer. Many clubs will be lining up for him next summer if he goes on playing like this especially Barcelona.

NYAS

Has there ever been a young defender that hasn't improved defensively under Mourinho?

Robertd0803

Has there ever been a young defender that hasn't improved defensively under Mourinho?
Wasn't it Thomas Kallas had the game of his life against Liverpool in the Slippy G game? He looked like Maldini in that game and hasn't been heard of since :lol::lol:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Wasn't it Thomas Kallas had the game of his life against Liverpool in the Slippy G game? He looked like Maldini in that game and hasn't been heard of since :lol::lol:
Kallas if I'm not mistaken only played due to Chelsea having a injury crisis. Jose had no choice but to select one of the youngsters.

ROFLUTION

The guy looks a LOT like Evra in his constant forward-runs and overlapping.

Valencia has 2-3 years left in him at high-level I reckon, but this guy seems immense. Can he play on the left or as right midfield?

tomaldinho1

Blind loyalty? if you could see the newbs you'd see me criticising Valencia last season, I hated the fact we settled for an okay winger for a right back but this season he really has been much better than a 21 year old that hasn't improved much.

We'll see who Bellerin ends up playing for, if he stays at Arsenal until he retires my guess is he won't win a heck of a lot, but judging player on team trophies is a moot point, because Steven Gerrard is obviously better than John O'Shea.

Anyway, this Samedo fella looks expensive for a player who's only played 30ish games.
Blasphemy!

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Why does he play as Right Back. He's a shoe-in for the winger position if the video proves anything. He's hyper mobile.

Arka_BleedingRed

There has been a lot of speculation about this guy recently, linking him with us. From what I have seen and heard, there are 4 quality Right Backs who play for Portugal and could be an option for us, Joao Cancelo, Nelson Semedo, Ricardo Pereira and Cedric Soares. Can someone who has watched them regularly, shed some light regarding, who is the better option amongst them offensively, defensively and the one best suited for our style?

ash_86

Averages 7.3 on Who scored and his abilities are fine for a defender