6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

hn4manunited

First decent outing for awhile. Although that may be partly down to playing in a proper double pivot, rather than chasing around after the gaps Pogba leaves when he goes forward.
Yep. Always needed a good disciplined partner he can depend on. He was even able to roam forward today. Definitely played a solid game today. Pogba isn’t disciplined enough for the role. He should be able to tell himself to do the job but he’s not capable of doing it. McTominay or Herrera partnering him allows him to play to his strengths. It’s all about having the right mix of players to get the right balance.

Canagel

Solid performance from Matic but I'd like him to release the ball quicker. Takes too many touches when only one is needed. Screws up the counters.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's literally our engine. What do we do without him? His calm presence and intricate ball control in midfield is very under valued.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Solid performance from Matic but I'd like him to release the ball quicker. Takes too many touches when only one is needed. Screws up the counters.
There’s method in the madness with those extra touches around the half way line. Carrick used to be a master of them too, it’s not always about playing a quick pass to the guy closest to you when the rest of the team is marked up, it just puts him the same position you were and at best you might get it straight back.

What Matic, Carrick, Kroos, Busquets, Alonso et al all do is invite pressure on to themselves because they know an extra man on them equates to one of our players being in space.

It doesn’t always work out as intended, but that’s the reason they do it, they’re not just being sluggish and lacking awareness.

J_Red 11

There’s method in the madness with those extra touches around the half way line. Carrick used to be a master of them too, it’s not always about playing a quick pass to the guy closest to you when the rest of the team is marked up, it just puts him the same position you were and at best you might get it straight back.

What Matic, Carrick, Kroos, Busquets, Alonso et al all do is invite pressure on to themselves because they know an extra man on them equates to one of our players being in space.

It doesn’t always work out as intended, but that’s the reason they do it, they’re not just being sluggish and lacking awareness.
I get your point but we are all know Carrick, Kroos & Alonso are different class in passing if we compare them to Matic.

haram

Playing a 3 man midfield would help him when he is pressed as well, gives him another player to pass to in closer proximity.

iKeano

Solid game, although looks like he needs a rest, been flogged to death this season.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's literally our engine. What do we do without him? His calm presence and intricate ball control in midfield is very under valued.
Would love Dier in beside him with Pogba in a 3. What a solid base that would give our team.

Trizy

He looks tired. He could do with a weeks holiday tbh.
He and our squad just had over a week off in Dubai. They cannot be tired.

Brilliant today when he's not out numbered in midfield. Also very good when Pogba came on as a third midfielder. 433 works and water is wet :lol:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He and our squad just had over a week off in Dubai. They cannot be tired.

Brilliant today when he's not out numbered in midfield. Also very good when Pogba came on as a third midfielder. 433 works and water is wet :lol:
Yeah tired excuse is bs. They had a week off in Dubai and also he played one game in 15 days or so in that period. Now we play Newcastle after 1 week gap.

Rajma

My only criticism with him is he rarely tries first time passes and holds unto the ball for too long.

Coops73

Was brilliant yesterday, a completely different performance from Wednesday and I think having Mctominay next to him may of helped.

FujiVice

Poor fecker is basically first name on the team sheet every week. Shame we cant afford to rest him for a game or two. He's so good. That pass.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Great pass, our first bit of real quality
Young had a nice moment when he nutmegged Shelvey and played a decent pass for Lukaku to run on to, too. Also, I think it's fair to classify de Gea's save as quality as well. :D

Ludens the Red

Seems to fade a bit in the second half of season, was the same at Chelsea for a few years and unfortunately looks to be creeping in here and unfortunately because he tends to be the only competent cm we have playing its having a knock on effect. He's not getting around as much as he was earlier this season .

Bobski

If Carrick had been fit his season might have been more even. Too passive for my liking. I want to see more of that aggression in his passing that he showed for the Martial chance.

Good player, but the club should already be looking for a upgrade.

Acole9

Outstanding
I'm not sure whether he's suffering from fatigue or he's suffering from having to play in a midfield two with a player that doesn't have the discipline to play that position. He needs a player who's going to battle alongside him but can push on as well.

Huddersfield 0:2 Man Utd

Kag

Where is he even meant to be on the pitch? Because he's bloody useless at the moment.

At one point, even Mata was chucking his arms about in the air from the other side of the pitch, wondering why nobody on that side of the pitch was pressing.

I don't like commenting mid-game but Matic has been shite for weeks and gets a very easy ride.

Stringer

He's been incredibly poor on the ball recently. Very slow to pass and gets caught a lot due to that.

tob

Where is he even meant to be on the pitch? Because he's bloody useless at the moment.

At one point, even Mata was chucking his arms about in the air from the other side of the pitch, wondering why nobody on that side of the pitch was pressing.

I don't like commenting mid-game but Matic has been shite for weeks and gets a very easy ride.
Totally agree. All focus has been on Pogba's performance and this guy gets no criticism whatsoever.
He's been poor for many games now and tonight he looks so lost on that field.

Roboc7

Been poor, him and McTominay aren’t protecting the defence, are getting overrun and offering nothing going forward.

DWelbz19

He's looking more and more like the Matic of last season.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
So will he be playing 3 games in one week? He is such an important player for us. Would like to see him given more freedom too next season (get that deep lying midfielder). His pressing the opposition is almost always well timed and often leads to counter attacks.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Worst half in a red shirt. Hope he picks it up massively second half.

FujiVice

He looks absolutely knackered to me. Sadly, Mourinho's "give everything or give nothing" attitude to selecting players tells me he wont get a rest anytime soon.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He looks absolutely knackered to me. Sadly, Mourinho's "give everything or give nothing" attitude to selecting players tells me he wont get a rest anytime soon.
We don't exactly have any suitable alternatives with Herrera Felliani and Pogba out

RORY65

Presumably this is yet another performance that is due to him being tired or something, that has been the excuse for countless average or poor games since about October. Maybe the first few weeks of the season were the anomaly rather than most of the last 2 and a half years.

DWelbz19

Presumably this is yet another performance that is due to him being tired or something, that has been the excuse for countless average or poor games since about October. Maybe the first few weeks of the season were the anomaly rather than most of the last 2 and a half years.
It's really bizzare how that one just stayed the go-to reason for so long.

RORY65

It's really bizzare how that one just stayed the go-to reason for so long.
In fairness I can understand it to some extent as he was really good in the first few games and he does look quite laboured a lot of the time but there are posts in this thread after the Huddersfield league game in October excusing him by saying he was tired and it's been repeated a lot since (largely because he has seldom been that good).

Status
Not open for further replies.