Nemanja Matic talks about players' disciplinary issues during his spell with United

Sara125

I say we all just stop stressing over it just like how they don’t give a toss. They get to keep their contracts entitling them to their fat pay checks regardless of any lateness to training or output (or lack thereof) on the pitch so why should we care?

Rojofiam

Regularly can't turn up to training in time for the club that's paying you 350,000 pounds a week at 21 years of age. Piece of shit.

Hoof the ball

Matic outing Sancho. Of course! :lol:

Where are you shill Sancho apologist fvcks now, that was so prominent in the Sancho thread throwing shade at ten Hag?

Hughes35

The party thing reads weird but at least they made the latecomers finance it. It obviously had no effect though as they seemed to be content with just paying a fine.

I'd have said "if you're more than 5 minutes late, you have to kick a cat on video and upload it to instagram" they'd have come on time for training when they realised how many followers they would lose.
It's quite normal. That's what most clubs do with fines, it goes towards Christmas parties etc so I've no issue there.

It's no surprise about the issues with professionalism though. It's clear we've created a terrible culture which is hard to break. The sooner Sancho, Martial, Rashford etc are shipped out the better.

Mike Smalling

It's incredible the lack of hunger we have in the squad. If these players were motivated, there wouldn't be problems around showing up late, not applying themselves in training, not running enough in matches, etc. Many players are apparently satisfied with collecting their pay-check, managing their Instagram, and putting in a good performance every tenth game. This problem has been created over many seasons at this point, and it will take a while to get rid of it as well. When you give huge contracts for mediocrity and have no real competition for places, this is unfortunately what will happen. A player like Rashford suddenly believes that his level matches his salary.

Some people will point to a lack of leadership in the dressing room, but these players have to lead themselves before anything. Put Roy Keane in this squad, and it wouldn't make a difference for these players. They would probably just throw their toys out of the pram the first time they were challenged.

If there is one thing you can give ETH credit for, it is taking these kinds of battles against Sancho, for example. We can't be accepting this bullshit anymore. Unfortunately, the rot has set in across much of the squad apparently - doesn't look like he can fix it.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Matic outing Sancho. Of course! :lol:

Where are you shill Sancho apologist fvcks now, that was so prominent in the Sancho thread throwing shade at ten Hag?
Do I count? I said there that while Sancho behaved wrongly the club probably could have dragged him to training and got more out of him.

el3mel

If only he'd not signed them or installed a culture of discipline himself. Ultimately the manager can and should sort this.
This is just hindsight. Pogba was a great signing on paper when we got him. The fact he flopped isn't something the board or Mourinho should be blamed for. The only mistake wasn't getting rid when it became clear it's not working, but claiming it wasn't a good deal in 2016 is just hindsight.

Hoof the ball

Do I count? I said there that while Sancho behaved wrongly the club probably could have dragged him to training and got more out of him.
I don't think so, Stef. You're alright; but I can't imagine dragging a sulk like Sancho into training would have resulted in better performances. If anything, with his psychological profile, he'd double down on downing tools in-game out of spite, I'd imagine.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I don't think so, Stef. You're alright; but I can't imagine dragging a sulk like Sancho into training would have resulted in better performances. If anything, with his psychological profile, he'd double down on downing tools in-game out of spite, I'd imagine.
Well, apparently this is more or less what Dortmund did and he prrformed excellent there.

kentafuji

Sancho, late? Well I'm surprised.

The money collected for fines should have gone to charity, not some plush party in London like some sort of award for being late.
Its seems to be the thing they do with the fines money across the board, nothing exclusive to Man Utd

Ben Foster on one of his podcasts, talked about West Brom having their 'fines board' and the money produced from it went to pay for their parties

Marwood

This is just hindsight. Pogba was a great signing on paper when we got him. The fact he flopped isn't something the board or Mourinho should be blamed for. The only mistake wasn't getting rid when it became clear it's not working, but claiming it wasn't a good deal in 2016 is just hindsight.
Well that's a managers job, doing homework on players, judging characters etc. Or at least it used to be. It's why they get paid a fortune.

Compounded as you say by not instilling discipline once here, indulging them, chucking contracts around.

We can't big up Mourinho for being right when he signed the guys and exacerbated the problem once they were here. Players having to take discipline issues on themselves. Where's the manager?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I'm very proud in saying I never wanted him. Earned my tagline :lol: :angel:

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
The standards at the club have dropped massively. I get the feeling managers have often wanted to get rid of certain players but have been blocked by the board / upper management due to their marketability and the amount of usage they get from them on socials.

I'm glad we have someone like EtH who doesn't take bullshit. Sancho overstepped a mark and has been frozen out. Rashford was late for training and was dropped. Being punctual should be the absolute minimum expectation from the players.

Rockets Redglare

So much waste. Sancho, Greenwood, Lingard, Antony, Pogba, Martial, Rashford, Lukaku even got pulled into this dissent before he left. Absolute lack of accountability at the club for young players. When someone like Jose or ETH tries to stamp it out then they start crying. Manchester Utd spoilt boys club. I’m glad former players are starting to call it out. There should be nowhere to hide with this kind of thing. Lay down a marker for the next crop who are considering coming here that this party is over
Why is Antony included in that list? As far as I know there’s never been an issue with his application and he runs his arse off every game, or are you just putting him there because of the thing with his ex?

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Even though it didn't go ahead, was the party for the players?

Am I wrong for thinking that's a bit selfish? Maybe put the fine money towards a big night out for canteen staff, cleaners, stewards, clerical staff etc.

It's a nice gesture and a pittance for the players.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Why is Antony included in that list? As far as I know there’s never been an issue with his application and he runs his arse off every game, or are you just putting him there because of the thing with his ex?
Same reason as greenwood is there. I’m talking about all the talented young players who’ve stalled here or got into trouble

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
This is on the likes of the Glazers, Woodward etc - the club has been run by jumped up finance consultants who are probably as star struck as your average fan would be by the players.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The party thing reads weird but at least they made the latecomers finance it. It obviously had no effect though as they seemed to be content with just paying a fine.

I'd have said "if you're more than 5 minutes late, you have to kick a cat on video and upload it to instagram" they'd have come on time for training when they realised how many followers they would lose.
Didn’t stop Zouma, did it?

sugar_kane

It's funny you mention that because at first I read the post and felt a bit uncomfortable because every single player in the list was black, until I spotted Antony in there (which didn't entirely rid me of the feeling of discomfort, but made it slightly better)

Posts that seem racist but aren't (yours, not sure about the original one)

Marcelinho87

Sancho, late? Well I'm surprised.

The money collected for fines should have gone to charity, not some plush party in London like some sort of award for being late.
nah we do the same at work, pays for the Christmas do, cheers for been late lads drinks on you.

rather that than some shitty charity where the ceo pockets it.

kaku06

Good example how there's been a massive shift towards player power at the club. Under SAF they'd be gone within the year if they pulled this off consistently. Now they know they can carve out long careers at the club despite poor attitudes and performances. The club will do anything but move them on at a loss to protect the books so the players get away with murder.
Yep, these wankers know they can get away with murder and it all comes down from the top. Late everyday? No big deal. The manager is strict? down the tools and change the powerless fool. Rinse and repeat with the new fool.

Ted Lasso

Good example how there's been a massive shift towards player power at the club. Under SAF they'd be gone within the year if they pulled this off consistently.
Ed Woodward was the culprit. He became overly friendly and chummy with football superstars. When your chief exec has your back, the managers can feck off.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
It's funny you mention that because at first I read the post and felt a bit uncomfortable because every single player in the list was black, until I spotted Antony in there (which didn't entirely rid me of the feeling of discomfort, but made it slightly better)

Posts that seem racist but aren't (yours, not sure about the original one)
It’s obviously just a coincidence. If Rasmus goes off the rails he’ll be on a similar list, same with Mainoo. We just seem to pick these players that probably need a strict manager and well run organisation to get the best out of them and then ultimately the organisation panders to them and leaves the manager hanging when the time comes to get the players in line. Conversely you know there’s a young player out there like haaland or bellingham who are very professional, that’s who you should be targeting with everything you’ve got. One professional player is worth 5 messers. The thing with Antony is that the manager has worked with him before so he should have known about his lifestyle and how to get the max out of him from the off.

Irwin99

How fortunate we have a manager nowadays that’s trying to fix this issue

…how unfortunate he’s getting sacked quite soon.

OleGunnar20

Choke a Horse surely?

hobbers

Lingard, Pogba, Martial, Rashford, Sancho...

The 5 ringleaders of United's downfall in standards and culture. Collectively more responsible than any of Mourinho, Ole, Rangnick and Hag.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Matic been talking sh1t about United on every Balkan podcast he has been on.
So he wasn't a fan of his time here? Understandable, but a shame nonetheless.

I actually didn't want Matic at first, but he won me over in no time at all. One of my favourite players in recent years.

el3mel

Well that's a managers job, doing homework on players, judging characters etc. Or at least it used to be. It's why they get paid a fortune.

Compounded as you say by not instilling discipline once here, indulging them, chucking contracts around.

We can't big up Mourinho for being right when he signed the guys and exacerbated the problem once they were here. Players having to take discipline issues on themselves. Where's the manager?
There was no questions about Pogba's quality or character when he was at Juventus. If anything he worked his arse off to get from where he was at Man United to become one of the hottest names on the market, becoming an integral part of a CL finalist, Euro finalist and entering the Fifa world XI. No one questioned his commitment or efforts.

hobbers

There was no questions about Pogba's quality or character when he was at Juventus. If anything he worked his arse off to get from where he was at Man United to become one of the hottest names on the market, becoming an integral part of a CL finalist, Euro finalist and entering the Fifa world XI. No one questioned his commitment or efforts.
Flourished as a little fish in a pond with big sharks. Disciplined role models with vast medal cabinets.

then we made him the big fish in a small pond and he realised brand and sponsorships and lifestyle were more important to him than being a leader on the pitch or role model on the training ground.

sugar_kane

Matic at United was just a proto-Casemiro at United.

Clearly a classy player who could turn it on and occasionally dominate a game, but too often looked like he was just content to stroll through 90 minutes and get home for tea.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Funny that the player-ran discipline committee lacked enough discipline to think that a session in London was an appropriate thing to do with the fine money.

dubplate warrior

What this should scream out to everyone is that until the players are moved on en masse we restructure the wage bill in is entirety we'll never forge the culture required to succeed.

Ten Hag may not be the answer, but I don't think he is the problem.

Gazautd18

75 Grand in fines for a season and they were going to blow it on a party?
feck me.
That's how much my 1st house cost in '99 :lol: