Nemanja Matic

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Don't really blame him for his reaction to be honest. He obviously shouldn't have done so, but that tackle from the Burnley player could have been horrific. Bit more force and that's a fracture.

Hitchcocker

I am on Matic's side. I think the referee should have taken action earlier and step in. Disgrace of a challenge. Matic's reaction took the attention away from the tackle but both tackle and reaction were red-card offenses imho.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
Stupid from Matic, regardless of whether he had a right to be pissed off, which he did. Footballers KNOW exactly what will happen if they react like that, no excuses.

Im actually slightly in agreement with @kouroux Matic has dipped in form overall since December. Maybe a rest will help him for the run in.

El Zoido

Justifiable reaction imo, he shouldn't have been sent off. That tackle was horrendous.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Justifiable reaction imo, he shouldn't have been sent off. That tackle was horrendous.
What? It was a shocking tackle but that doesn't mean Matić's red card offence no longer deserves a red card.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Matic isn't the first player to be on the receiving end of a bad tackle. You don't see everyone reacting like that, do you

Count Orduck

Jesus, just shows up Atkinson for the gigantic moron that he is when Matic gets a red and Barnes gets away with it.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Obvious red for Matic but you'd hardly blame him for reacting, that was an awful tackle.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
The Burnley player was in possession. He didn't tackle. He left his foot in after passing the ball. Vine is crap for football.
He never passed the ball, he made a poor touch and clearly Matic was getting to it first. Stupid from Matic but I can't criticize too much as I would have knocked the feckers head off.

Last edited:

Moriarty

He won't get his red rescinded, but the Burnley player should be given a retrospective red for that. Disgraceful challenge, quite easily could have broken his leg. If I was on the receiving end of that tackle I'd go crazy too.
Over the ball tackles like that can end a player's career. Don't blame the Chelsea lad for losing his rag.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Can't blame Matic for that, the Burnley player tried to break his leg and the referee didn't provide justice.

Baxter

He never passed the ball, he made a poor touch and clearly Matic was getting to it first. Stupid from Matic but I can't criticize too much as I would have knocked the feckers head off.

He knew exactly what he was doing. That is a fecking shocker!

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal

It's remarkable how quickly Matic recovers from that tackle. He's holding his leg in agony then a second later he's jumped to his feet and is sprinting to shove the Burnley player

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

I agree, it was intentional but it wasn't a tackle. It was a pass, a poor one, and he left his foot it. Not a leg breaking challenge but a very nasty one indeed. Ref was behind the incident. As far as he is concerned, Barnes get's the ball, perhaps with a small touch from Matic. I don't think he saw it. Don't know what that means regarding the strange FA rules, if Barnes can be banned or not. Think it doesn't.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Unless rescinded this means that Matic will miss the League Cup final against Spurs ... which will obviously help our chances.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
It's remarkable how quickly Matic recovers from that tackle. He's holding his leg in agony then a second later he's jumped to his feet and is sprinting to shove the Burnley player
That's because he wasn't in agony. The force was so little. People see the vine and think it's a legbreaking challenge. It was a thuggish move with intent but the chance of actual long term injury was slim to none.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I agree, it was intentional but it wasn't a tackle. It was a pass, a poor one, and he left his foot it. Not a leg breaking challenge but a very nasty one indeed. Ref was behind the incident. As far as he is concerned, Barnes get's the ball, perhaps with a small touch from Matic. I don't think he saw it. Don't know what that means regarding the strange FA rules, if Barnes can be banned or not. Think it doesn't.
It wasn't a pass though, he didn't touch the ball.

vuc

First Team Serb
Horrendous refereeing from Atkinson today. If you cut him he would be bleeding claret & blue.. No one can really blame Matic for a reaction like that, but his absence from Chelsea this season has normally resulted in them dropping points, so it could be costly.

Northstand

Horrendous refereeing from Atkinson today. If you cut him he would be bleeding claret & blue.. No one can really blame Matic for a reaction like that, but his absence from Chelsea this season has normally resulted in them dropping points, so it could be costly.
That's an odd thing to say: is he a Burnley fan? He's been accused on many occasions (not without some justification) of being like a twelfth man for Chelsea!

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
There is a chance that Matic's card will be rescinded.
Has everybody forgotten about Routledge?

He played today against United only because his red card was rescinded for a similar bit.
We'll see I guess. I'm glad he didn't do this.

saivet

There is a chance that Matic's card will be rescinded.
Has everybody forgotten about Routledge?
]
Just seen the Routledge incident and Matic is a lot more forceful, he was just pissed off. Matic just shoved the guy over, doubt it will be rescinded.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Just seen the tackle, pretty nasty. Is it not good fortune though that Barnes wasnt even booked because now he can be punished retrospectively?

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Just seen the Routledge incident and Matic is a lot more forceful, he was just pissed off. Matic just shoved the guy over, doubt it will be rescinded.
Yeah Routledge's was rescinded not because the tackle on him was taken into consideration but basically because his reaction did not merit a red card. Matic on the other hand definitely did and it's incredibly rare to see a player charge into an opponent like that so aggressively. The tackle, rightly or wrongly, cannot be taken into consideration as far as I'm aware - if a player punches someone who said something racist to him, I'm sure it would be taken into account, but he's not going to escape a ban for violent conduct, regardless of whether everyone feels the punch was justified.

UweBein

Supports
Chelsea
Just seen the tackle, pretty nasty. Is it not good fortune though that Barnes wasnt even booked because now he can be punished retrospectively?
He should've been red carded twice during the game. As far as I am concerned I don't care what happens with Barnes after the game. Whether they punish him or not does not affect Chelsea.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Can't really blame Matić for what he's done there to be fair, would've decked Barnes there myself, disgusting tackle.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Just saw the replay of this. Matic definitely didnt deserve to be sent off - its not like he punched the guy, he just pushed him to the ground, and with good cause. Should have been a red for the Burnley player and yellow for Matic.

On a semi related note, I find it sad that football has become this pathetic, where pushing an opponent gets you a red card. The referee did a poor job in not taking circumstances into account at all, its like they are trying to take all passion and emotion from the game. I for one would be delighted if more players got a bit angry and confrontational rather than rolling around on the floor like they've had their balls cut off, after any physical contact.

UweBein

Supports
Chelsea
His reaction was understandable in my eyes. I couldn't debate whether it was a red card or not for Matic because I've never actually read the rules.
It was also probably difficult to see for the referee in this instance. He probably saw that Barnes played the ball which didn't really happen but that would've been difficult to spot.
In a way I am kind of happy that Matic gets a break. He'll come back fresher and can solely concentrate on the PSG game.
I am also curious how we compensate for his absence.

UweBein

Supports
Chelsea
If his previous absences are anything to go by, then pretty badly. We desperately need to replace Mikel soon.
Was hoping for Loftus-Cheek or Ake actually. I know though JM won't think about it for a second.