Film Netflix pay $450m for Knives Out sequels

phelans shorts

Enjoyed it. Though the first one was better.
Found it a bit odd, that the Edward Norton character shifted from being a moron and a machiavellian schemer. Poisoning someone with a known allergen, was brilliant, no matter how much the detective proclaimed it to be stupid. Edward Norton was looking more like a brilliant person trying to play stupid, rather than a stupid person trying to act brilliant.
nah, I wouldn’t say that was in any way brilliant. Especially in the context with him having outright stated his allergy earlier that same day. It’s very route one and fit perfectly with the idea of a stupid person acting brilliant

cyberman

Yeah no idea. It was a dumb plot hole. Also you think the moment he’d seen the person he just killed on the island he’d have realised something was completely off :lol:
Don’t think he knew that was 100 percent before leaving though. Plays into the angle that he’s only playing smart

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Can someone explain please

Why did Norton invite Andy when he had killed her / intended to killed her anyway? What was the point of the invitation.
The invite sort of makes sense from an alibi perspective. What I didn’t get was why he wasn’t bemused the second she stepped off the boat.

Tarrou

I thought he only decided to bump her off after she sent the email

and the box was already in the mail at that point

HookedOnAPhelan

Thought it was enjoyable, good fun, like the first one. Johnson is a very good and clever filmmaker, but his films do tend to have some strange plot holes that you'd think he would've managed to iron out or explain.

I did spot that Norton handed Bautista his drink (and that he didn't simply pick up the wrong one) immediately though, and I'm assuming I'm not alone in that?

Tarrou

Thought it was enjoyable, good fun. Johnson is a very good, clever filmmaker, but his films do tend to have some strange plot holes.

I did spot that Norton handed Bautista his drink (and that he didn't simply pick up the wrong one) immediately though, and I'm assuming I'm not alone in that?
that wasn't a plot hole though? we just had an unreliable narrator retelling the story later

HookedOnAPhelan

oh okay yeah fair enough

yeah I did think it was a bit weird at how obvious everything was.. was expecting more twistiness
The plothole I was referring to was the invitation, that others have pointed out. But as the pivot said, maybe it does make sense as an alibi.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Thinking again about the budget, maybe they spent good part of that budget on that Covid antidote?

Eplel

Quite a downgrade from the first film.

The cast is nowhere near the first one's ensemble, particularly Monae and Hudson were really bad for a type of movie that requires charisma.
The plot is not as smart, although it is still the best part of it.

Another downgrade is the setting though. Neither the Greek Island, nor the whole disruptor shit worked for me.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Quite a downgrade from the first film.

The cast is nowhere near the first one's ensemble, particularly Monae and Hudson were really bad for a type of movie that requires charisma.
The plot is not as smart, although it is still the best part of it.

Another downgrade is the setting though. Neither the Greek Island, nor the whole disruptor shit worked for me.
Janelle Monae lacks charisma? You mental?

FrantikChicken

Man I love Daniel Craig though
interestingly enough for me he feels the most out of place in these movies. Maybe it’s because I’m so used to seeing him as 007 but I just feel he’s not quirky enough for the role? The accent doesn’t do enough to sell the character to me.

i quite enjoyed both movies, mind. A fun watch

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

Why did Norton invite Andy when he had killed her / intended to killed her anyway? What was the point of the invitation.
Yeah no idea. It was a dumb plot hole. Also you think the moment he’d seen the person he just killed on the island he’d have realised something was completely off :lol:
I don't think he saw her die? He drugged her and dumped her body in the car, turned the engine on in her garage, but left the scene of the crime before he could get caught. Because her death hadn't been reported yet officially he had no evidence yet until Drax showed him on the phone. I do wonder why nobody knew about her twin sister though.

Eplel

I thought she was fantastic in this

Was the most interesting character
That's more indicative of the writing, rather than her acting chops.

No wonder half her dialogue scenes in Moonlight the camera points to someone else while she's talking. She's just not a very good actress.

DavelinaJolie

I thought Monae was quite striking in this. She certainly wore the heck out of that dress.

Better than the first one I thought, though the responsible party seemed a bit obvious. But then they used my favourite insult repeatedly, which tickled me. So I may be biased.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Good, fun, Christmas fare. If another one comes out next Christmas or whenever I'm sure I'll waste a couple of hours on it too.

Also:

Rian Johnson must have been pissing himself watching the whole "Elon Musk buys twitter"/"I'm sure he knows what he's doing, he's very successful"/"oh no he's actually obviously a fecking moron" thing play out in real life.

LARulz

I imagine it was already sent in advance? That's what I thought anyway. But equally could be to show to public he had nothing to do with it by acting as if on good terms

Conor

I really enjoyed it, thought it was better than the first. Perfect movie for Xmas day with the family.

LARulz

He was, I’m pretty sure? It looked like he was surprised to see her
Yeah, also as her death was not officially confirmed publicly, he may have thought she actually survived in the end and got worried

But have to ask a couple questions and maybe I am being dim

1. So what if the napkin said Glass Onion at the bottom? Anybody can get things printed. That literally would get laughed out of any court I imagine, so how is that a "Oh shit, he's fecked" moment?

2. Ultimately, other than the crazy costs he will have to pay, I imagine he is still running Alpha which makes a lot of money? The shitheads are basically now off the hook from him but he is not really in any trouble/getting a punishment for actually killing 2 people is he?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Yeah, also as her death was not officially confirmed publicly, he may have thought she actually survived in the end and got worried

1. So what if the napkin said Glass Onion at the bottom? Anybody can get things printed. That literally would get laughed out of any court I imagine, so how is that a "Oh shit, he's fecked" moment?

2. Ultimately, other than the crazy costs he will have to pay, I imagine he is still running Alpha which makes a lot of money? The shitheads are basically now off the hook from him but he is not really in any trouble/getting a punishment for actually killing 2 people is he?
Not sure about 1 but on 2, wasn't the reason they fell out initially that he needed to invest Alpha into the Klear thing and she refused? At which point he effectively ousted her. So presumably if the Klear thing is fecked then his Alpha wealth is exposed too. And him being ruined is why the others then turned on him. Also part of the punishment is having his reputation forever ruined as the guy whose botched energy project destroyed the Mona Lisa.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I imagine it was already sent in advance? That's what I thought anyway. But equally could be to show to public he had nothing to do with it by acting as if on good terms
Yep, because he had to have killed her right before the trip happened (as it hadn't hit the news yet) and the sister said she had found the box when clearing out her stuff.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Good movie for family viewing in the run up to Christmas.
The Greek islands are always a good backdrop even if only at the dock where they all caught the boat.
As for the plot; it’s not going to win any awards but it was grand.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The thing that jarred most for me was:

The big guy getting the newsflash of her being found dead and seemingly understanding what happened very quickly. That Miles did it he might figure out because he nearly ran him off the road leaving but understanding the twin sister thing? That's a lot to process in time to try blackmailing him or without reacting.

But in reality the answer to most of these quibbles is "the big silly murder mystery film is designed to be fun while you're watching it, not to be free of plotholes or impervious to people picking it apart afterwards".

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The first one was ok but they are just modern Agatha Cristie clones.

Everyone has a motive until the clever detective reveals the truth at the end.

Eplel

Onion Glass was the bar's name

Technically, he could still easily be convicted using forensics (e.g. gunpowder residue in his hand and clothes)
Overall agree, if the guy is as rich as he seems, it's all meaningless.

LARulz

Onion Glass was the bar's name

Technically, he could still easily be convicted using forensics (e.g. gunpowder residue in his hand and clothes)
Overall agree, if the guy is as rich as he seems, it's all meaningless.
Regarding 1

I know that but so what? How can she or anyone prove that she didn't just go to a place after she lost the case to get a new tissue printed with the bar name on and then copy the text Miles was branding about on his version of the napkin in the press?

It would look convenient and something if it happened in real life make people go "bullshit"