Film Netflix pay $450m for Knives Out sequels

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I remember not buying that news of Andi’s death would be kept under wraps for that long. It must have been nearly a week for her sister to find out, go over there, clean out her house and find the box, decide to contact a detective and get over to his place, devise the plan with him, spend time getting into character, then get over to the island. All that has to happen before someone leaks the death of this supposedly famous person to the public, thus blowing her cover.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
That's more indicative of the writing, rather than her acting chops.

No wonder half her dialogue scenes in Moonlight the camera points to someone else while she's talking. She's just not a very good actress.
I thought the twin sister had decent charisma, but that left when she had to play the colder Andi character. Which sort of says to me that she did a decent job acting.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Is it better than knives out, which was crap?

phelans shorts

Regarding 1

I know that but so what? How can she or anyone prove that she didn't just go to a place after she lost the case to get a new tissue printed with the bar name on and then copy the text Miles was branding about on his version of the napkin in the press?

It would look convenient and something if it happened in real life make people go "bullshit"
if we wanted to go real life on it they’d go forensic and find the fingerprints on hers match the story, whereas his wouldn’t include the full group (it would be very suspicious as to why hers weren’t on there) and would be noticeably fresher, which would cause suspicion as being too convenient due to the total lack of degradation.

On the balance of probabilities it would probably swing things in her direction massively if it were real

but most importantly, it’s a silly whodunnit where Daniel Craig does a funny accent

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
yeah I thought Monae was pretty charming as the sister.

But in reality the answer to most of these quibbles is "the big silly murder mystery film is designed to be fun while you're watching it, not to be free of plotholes or impervious to people picking it apart afterwards".
Indeed. if anything it’s something I considered a fair criticism of the first one (largely ‘cos it seemed bizarrely over-praised for essentially a big budget Jonathan Creek!) but is now also a defence of this one, as…. What are you actually expecting from a comic whoodunnit?

Also everytime things like this try and be ‘proper cinema’ they end up like Gone Girl, which I will die on the hill of being a Fincherly colourgraded Wild Things for the 2010s… only significantly less fun, and much worse by dint of not knowing it is.

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Thought it was pretty good. Enjoyable enough for what it was, a fun murder mystery film.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Thought it was a very enjoyable, fun film. A couple of plot holes and very obvious killer but fun nonetheless.

Im not a fan of Netflix buying the rights however. Don't mind netflix as a service and don't mind them doing their own films, think there's a market for that however netflix and Disney need to stop releasing films that should be in the cinema on their platforms straight away. Don't think any good will come from that long term and it's actually already cost Disney with being sued by Scarlett Johansson.

Rake

It was a decent film, certainly worse than the first one, but still entertaining.

They spent almost 2 hours trying to convince us that everyone has motive to kill Miles, while giving pretty obvious clues (and quite early) that he was the killer, which ruins the experience a bit.

CallyRed

Second one reminded me of a big budget version of Death in Paradise

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
It was good - not as good as the first, but good overall.

It missed some of the chaotic energy Chris Evans brought from the f
They made it quite obvious that Miles Bron was the killer with the drink scene off the bat. I mean, it wasn’t even subtle that he handed his drink to Batista?

Also - Ed Norton was a fantastic Elon Musk pastiche. Is this life imitating art or art imitating life? :lol:

The acting was all good. Special nod to Kate Hudson who was great as Birdie. The sweatshop / sweatpants joke was so on the nose but so good.

Daniel Craig’s accent was ropey - it’s like listening to Foghorn Leghorn.

Nice cameo from Hugh Grant too.

Godfather

First one I enjoyed this was way over the top. Setting was just stupid and the "mystery" couldn't have been any more obvious.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I thought it was better then the first! Was a whole lot of fun and felt much tighter.

I do kind of wish they'd put a stronger actress in Monae's role... Not that she's bad, but you wonder what a better actress could have done with it.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
It was a decent watch, but I kept hoping they would spring a twist on us rather than go for the obvious with the 'whodunnit'. Was kind of surprised at how straight forward the plot was. Also, seems they've bought into that Hollywood trope of the sequel always having to be much bigger and flashier than the original. Expect Vin Diesel and The Rock to show up in the 3rd.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
yeah I thought Monae was pretty charming as the sister.

Indeed. if anything it’s something I considered a fair criticism of the first one (largely ‘cos it seemed bizarrely over-praised for essentially a big budget Jonathan Creek!) but is now also a defence of this one, as…. What are you actually expecting from a comic whoodunnit?

Also everytime things like this try and be ‘proper cinema’ they end up like Gone Girl, which I will die on the hill of being a Fincherly colourgraded Wild Things for the 2010s… only significantly less fun, and much worse by dint of not knowing it is.
Stop stealing my descriptions, stealer.

Mike Smalling

Caught both of these movies over Christmas. I thought they were both pretty entertaining, but probably also the type of movie, where you shouldn't think too much about the plot afterwards.

In the first one, I didn't think Craig's character really felt like a detective at all. He was more like an observer, who saw how things panned out and occasionally intervened a bit. And the accent is genuinely off-putting - it felt so unnatural that you are constantly reminded that it is a actor doing an accent. They should have either used a different actor, or just have him be British, although I suspect they thought it would be too much like James Bond then.

stw2022

40 mins in the middle were good. Start was wank, ending, or rather conclusion, was predictable and the movie seemed to go on about fifteen minutes longer than it needed to

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Craig's accent is awful but funny. I assume it's him hamming it up rather than actually going for an authentic southern draaaawl.

RedDevil@84

Was an ok-ish watch if you like watching random shit. There shouldn't be a third one though.

Charlie Foley

Thought it was enjoyable, good fun, like the first one. Johnson is a very good and clever filmmaker, but his films do tend to have some strange plot holes that you'd think he would've managed to iron out or explain.

I did spot that Norton handed Bautista his drink (and that he didn't simply pick up the wrong one) immediately though, and I'm assuming I'm not alone in that?
My wife noticed that too.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I'm reasonably easy to please with films, but I did not enjoy this beyond the first 45 minutes or so. It ended up being too simple and too stupid and I ended up feeling short changed.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Haven't watched the 1st one but the 2nd one almost put me to sleep.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Second one was a perfectly watchable who's done it. Not a classic by any means but it was never really intended to be. Just a fun switch off film. 6/10.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
On Daniel Craig's accent. A lot of people have complained about it, but I had just assumed it was deliberately bad and that one day there would be a pay off where Benoit Blanc has been putting it on the entire time