Newcastle could be sold to an Arab sheikh

C'est Moi Cantona

There goes our top 6 place. Who'd have thought we'd become a diddy team eh? Still, I've heard the mid table fight is thrilling.
If that's going to be the case then we'll have new owners soon enough as well.

'If you can't beat them join them', and all that.

Ban

People should stop comparing this to Qatar's and Abdu Dhabi's takeover of PSG and City.
AFAIK Khaled Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, who's about to buy Newcastle, isn't part of the inner circle of the ruling family in Abu Dhabi, he's just a cousin of Mohammad Bin Zayed Al Nahyan (crown price of Abu Dhabi) and his brother Mansour.
In plain terms, City and PSG were bought by the governments of Abu Dhabi and Qatar, while Newcastle is close to being sold to a Dubai-based businessman who happens to be a cousin of City owners. This shouldn't make Newcastle as rich as City or PSG, but it's still great news for Newcastle and their fans.
Oh ok then. That sounds a lot more reasonable.

passing-wind

There's no guarantee Newcastle will all of a sudden be able to spend millions and bring in some world class players beyond the capabilities of other teams. The only reason people find this a concern is because the owner is a Sheikh, most premier League owners are funded by billionaires and those with multi millions it's nothing new.

neilv93

I really like Newcastle. Proper football club with an excellent, passionate fanbase that solely want to see their sleeping giant awaken. I'd much rather see them do well than City, Chelsea etc. (obviously, but from a financial takeover POV).

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
How's so, soon half the league will be owned by Arab states, don't know what's exciting with that.
I don’t like the owners but can’t help but feel it will increase competitiveness and quality of the league. Many teams historically had a rich benefactor which led to unprecedented periods of success - it isn’t just the oil rich barons post millennium. Just the scale of it is different now.

Newcastle fans deserve to see their side amongst the big boys - rather them than a club with zero passion like Citeh.

Life’s too short to hark back to the good ole days - as long as there’s money spread out across a larger number of teams and the league is competitive - embrace it.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I don’t like the owners but can’t help but feel it will increase competitiveness and quality of the league. Many teams historically had a rich benefactor which led to unprecedented periods of success - it isn’t just the oil rich barons post millennium. Just the scale of it is different now.

Newcastle fans deserve to see their side amongst the big boys - rather them than a club with zero passion like Citeh.

Life’s too short to hark back to the good ole days - as long as there’s money spread out across a larger number of teams and the league is competitive - embrace it.
For me, the most logical solution to the 'equality problem' would be to enforce a worldwide salary cap and/or transfer fee cap, allowing the not-so-rich and fortunate to compete on a relatively even level to those with more money than sense.

The alternative, all the major clubs in the game being brought out by a rich Arab, will serve only to increase transfer fee prices/salary demands beyond an already unmanageable level.

deafepl

Does that even do anything?
AC Milan and Inter Milan tried the same thing when they were brought by a Chinese billionaire. FFP sanctioned them and they still can't find a way to increase their sponsorship value which must be valued in a fair market, not inflated. There won't be City and PSG anymore, there would be more of Millans type.

AJ10

AC Milan and Inter Milan tried the same thing when they were brought by a Chinese billionaire. FFP sanctioned them and they still can't find a way to increase their sponsorship value which must be valued in a fair market, not inflated. There won't be City and PSG anymore, there would be more of Millans type.
Only until they create fake sponsers like city have done, unless i am wrong.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
For me, the most logical solution to the 'equality problem' would be to enforce a worldwide salary cap and/or transfer fee cap, allowing the not-so-rich and fortunate to compete on a relatively even level to those with more money than sense.

The alternative, all the major clubs in the game being brought out by a rich Arab, will serve only to increase transfer fee prices/salary demands beyond an already unmanageable level.
I agree. Just saying I can’t see the cap happening any time soon.

C'est Moi Cantona

Maybe we will be able to offload Sanchez to them if they suddenly have a load of cash?
They'll be rich, not stupid.

More likely they'll give us two fingers in our bid for Longstaff, whilst tempting Rashford with the sort of contract offer he wants from us.

Mark1361

Wish Glazers would sell us as well. Just can not see us competing with city until a takeover happens. Best transfer news for us would be the Glazers selling up and moving on.

We got more debt then anyone but some how they class us a rich club worth 4B

Ban

Money in football is crazy as it is, with more owners like this it will get even worse.

WensleyMU

Football definitely needs more members of this dodgy family involved in the game.

LFCKop

Supports
Liverpool
sell Sanchez to Newcastle for 100milions...he's unvelling involves he playing piano which is actually a newcatle jersey

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
I really like Newcastle. Proper football club with an excellent, passionate fanbase that solely want to see their sleeping giant awaken. I'd much rather see them do well than City, Chelsea etc. (obviously, but from a financial takeover POV).
If this goes through and they start improving then they will be a huge club. They were always one of the bigger clubs in the league, same as Leeds. Will be interesting to see if Rafa stays and have major money to spend.

Treble

Apart form Newcastle, other clubs which could attract big investors over the next years: Everton, Villa, Leeds. That would make it to a top 10. The drain of talent from other leagues will be big. They are scared. Also, incompetence at the big clubs could have bigger consequences than missing out on top 4. Woody won't have much time to show his ability.

neilv93

If this goes through and they start improving then they will be a huge club. They were always one of the bigger clubs in the league, same as Leeds. Will be interesting to see if Rafa stays and have major money to spend.
Probably more of a reason for Rafa to stay now. Already doing wonders with a glorified Championship squad, imagine what he can do with money! Won't be a favourite on here as ex-Liverpool, I'm sure, but quality coach.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Might speed up the process for a European Super League so the top clubs can consolidate power.

Sparky Rhiwabon

If that's going to be the case then we'll have new owners soon enough as well.

'If you can't beat them join them', and all that.
I’m not so sure. Think how much more it would cost a potential new owner to buy United from the Glazers (given how much money they make from us) compared to City, Newcastle, etc. And as income from traditional sources doesn’t seem to matter to them, what would be the benefit? All they’re really buying is a Premier League slot.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
A few posters are quite naive IMO. I don't believe for a second that there isn't a hidden agenda. On paper the club will be bought by the cousin of the City owners, but behind the scenes I bet the City owners are making the big decisions.

Sidious

Football today becomes so disgusting. Its not about developing a club anymore. Not about being better than the others. Its just about 'who has the richest owners".

I don't get how clubs like PSG or city can be proud of anything they "achieve". It is not an accomplishment to win by outspending the rest with externally supplied money. Just beeing the plaything of a billionaire.
Wont take much time until the best players will cost 500M+.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark1361

A few posters are quite naive IMO. I don't believe for a second that there isn't a hidden agenda. On paper the club will be bought by the cousin of the City owners, but behind the scenes I bet the City owners are making the big decisions.
Who really cares as long as they competing and winning trophies. Do you really think the PSG fans & City fans care what happening behind the scenes . As long as your team is doing it stuff on the field and winning games. The ordinary fan would not care less what happening behind the scenes as long as it does not affect the teams performance on the field.

I think a lot of Utd fans like my self are a little jealous about Newcastle been brought by a oil rich country.

And wish the same would happen to us so we can get back to where we used to be dominating English football.

Without this we never going to be able to competing with City, And in a few years the new boys Newcastle with join the club.

FootyCrew

How's so, soon half the league will be owned by Arab states, don't know what's exciting with that.
Yeah, i think people is thinking just about Football and nothing else.

How many foreign owners does the Premier League have? I read somewhere that it was more than 10 clubs.......that's a lot.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Who really cares as long as they competing and winning trophies. Do you really think the PSG fans & City fans care what happening behind the scenes . As long as your team is doing it stuff on the field and winning games. The ordinary fan would not care less what happening behind the scenes as long as it does not affect the teams performance on the field.

I think a lot of Utd fans like my self are a little jealous about Newcastle been brought by a oil rich country.

And wish the same would happen to us so we can get back to where we used to be dominating English football.

Without this we never going to be able to competing with City, And in a few years the new boys Newcastle with join the club.
It’s not that the Newcastle fans should care it’s the niavity and greed of the FA for allowing this to happen. It’s a monopoly on the Premiership, basically having 2 teams with the same owner.

For example there would be nothing stopping City selling youth players like Fooden or last yeah Sancho to Newcastle allowing them first team football while keeping the young players as long term assets.

Also nothing stopping Newcastle from buying players that City’s rivals are chasing to take them off the market.

There is so many other ways this sale of Newcastle will benefit City, and all of it is possible if it happens. They have already enough of an advantage without this.

Celoti23-81

All this is is a publicity stunt to push the people actually in talks with Mike Ashley to stump up 350million. Nothing more.

RoyH1

Newcastle will have a lot money, but their fans are a bit deluded if they think the likes of Mbappé will want an NE postcode as his address. I suspect they know this and are just talking toungue in cheek about their future purchases.

Slysi17

I was thinking about this today. Even though the cost to buy Manchester United would be around 4 billion pounds, wouldn't it be a decent investment for these Billionaire Oil Sheikhs. I mean they wouldn't need to pump anywhere near the amount of money that a club like Newcastle would due to our insane amount of revenue we make. Wouldn't that sort offset the cost of buying the club. Also I am not endorsing our club having Oil money as I don't want us to go down that route.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I was thinking about this today. Even though the cost to buy Manchester United would be around 4 billion pounds, wouldn't it be a decent investment for these Billionaire Oil Sheikhs. I mean they wouldn't need to pump anywhere near the amount of money that a club like Newcastle would due to our insane amount of revenue we make. Wouldn't that sort offset the cost of buying the club. Also I am not endorsing our club having Oil money as I don't want us to go down that route.
I would say the ammout of debt United has would have to be offputting to some degree. Yes United are insanely profitable, but the debt is still there and as far as I am aware the Glaziers are only servicing the interest not actually paying any of the debt off.

Also I don’t see the Glazier’s selling any time soon they are reaping massive amourts into their own pockets.

Last edited:

Slysi17

It’s not that the Newcastle fans should care it’s the niavity and greed of the FA for allowing this to happen. It’s a monopoly on the Premiership, basically having 2 teams with the same owner.

For example there would be nothing stopping City selling youth players like Fooden or last yeah Sancho to Newcastle allowing them first team football while keeping the young players as long term assets.

Also nothing stopping Newcastle from buying players that City’s rivals are chasing to take them off the market.

There is so many other ways this sale of Newcastle will benefit City, and all of it is possible if it happens. They have already enough of an advantage without this.
I am with you on this. To have two football clubs owned by the same royal family is just ludicrous. Surely the Premier League would block this as it must be a conflict of interest.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Newcastle will have a lot money, but their fans are a bit deluded if they think the likes of Mbappé will want an NE postcode as his address. I suspect they know this and are just talking toungue in cheek about their future purchases.
Exactly. They might just end up failing.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I am with you on this. To have two football clubs owned by the same royal family is just ludicrous. Surely the Premier League would block this as it must be a conflict of interest.
I would hope so but the way the game is going the PL/FA will only see the cash and the value of its product rising.

Slysi17

I would say the ammout of debt United has would have to be offputting to some degree. Yes United are insanely profitable, but the debt is still there and as far as I am aware the Glaziers are only servicing the interest not actually paying any of the debt off.
Yea can see the debt being off putting. That's the annoying part. Club should of never been bought with debt. This may be wishful thinking but the glazers should really lower their asking price because of this if they ever intend to sell the club.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Yea can see the debt being off putting. That's the annoying part. Club should of never been bought with debt. This may be wishful thinking but the glazers should really lower their asking price because of this if they ever intend to sell the club.
I don’t really see them selling anytime soon they are draining United of millions.

This is a good article on the subject.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2018/oct/04/glazers-manchester-united