Newcastle United - 23/24 season

RuudTom83

You never judge a team in the opening weekend...give it until match day no.10.

miked99

The amount of knee-jerking is breathtaking :lol:

Judging a team or a player as amazing because they played well in the opening fixture is foolish. I seem to remember United won 5-1 in their opening fixture very recently. And also 4-0 over Chelsea a couple of seasons before that. I enjoyed us romping to the title on those two occasions

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
You never judge a team in the opening weekend...give it until match day no.10.
Clearly you've forgotten our glorious title win in 21/22 that was sparked by the 5-1 win against Leeds. It was clear from the off that we were the real deal.

Shark

@NotShark
I personally think they're going to win the treble. No scratch that, the quadruple.

Banana Republic

A powerful, quick playing, attack minded team, playing on the front foot, with bags of skill in the right areas.
If they didn’t have the CL to contend with, they could take 2nd place in the league this season and make a real challenge, but their lack of depth will eventually have a negative effect.
Still, they’re strong contenders for top 5 and possibly higher.

There’s still just under another 3 weeks to bring in one or two additions.

Last edited:

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
It will be interesting to see how they handle Europe. Do they go directly into the UCL group stages or they need a playoff to qualify?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
It will be interesting to see how they handle Europe. Do they go directly into the UCL group stages or they need a playoff to qualify?
No qualification for the top 4 leagues. 5-10th leagues have teams that need to play 1 round.

ManchesterMats

I have a feeling they might take second this season.
Yep. Second behind us. I seriously doubt City will have a shot at the title again after losing Gundogan and Mahrez + de Bryune probably injured for most of the games… City will fight for top 4.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Terrible game from us but they do have endless scoring options upfront now.

Isak was injured for about three months last season but still got into double figures and anyone can see he's got huge potential to get into 15-20 bracket eventually.

Will probably be their main CF and Wilson is a very good backup coming on for last 15-20 minutes against tiring and very high backlines as he makes excellent runs.

Add in Barnes with 12 for relegated Leicester and Almiron and that's comfortably a good attack now they've constructed for not a huge amount in modern fees.

Think their big problem is if they pick up injuries in CM as they didn't win many when Bruno Guimaraes was out at time so more likely with CL soon.

Skills

Snitch
They're legit.

Like City and Liverpool before then, they got the most difficult thing in football fixed first and foremost - the ability to score goals. Howe's teams have always scored goals, and with Isak they made sure they nailed there goalscoring down from the off.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Regret for what? Newcastle was the only club after his service. Newcastle has a really good DOF for their transfer business.
When being in the market for a CM and having a year to plan whilst we had a stop-gap option in Eriksen. He should have been someone we went for, he's more of a natural CM than what we signed.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
When being in the market for a CM and having a year to plan whilst we had a stop-gap option in Eriksen. He should have been someone we went for, he's more of a natural CM than what we signed.
He is a deep lying playmaker though, and Mount is more like a #8. Completely different type of players.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
And it's not based upon one game, its based upon their progress over the last 12 months.

I thought they showed more in their game yesterday than arsenal did in theirs and it was against a better opposition than arsenal faced. They made villa look bad.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Let’s not get carried away unless they beat city next week. Then we can start talking.

tjarligdrengen

It was pretty much “play a long ball, outrun the high line of defenders - get a big chance”.
Yes Newcastle played good, but tactical Aston Villa played awful, worse than awful really.

Villa had chances to score at least 2-3 goals as well.

Newcastle will struggle when theyplay against some more defensive teams, where they can’t play the ball behind the back four. AndI think, they’re going to be quite a few teams who will play that tactics against them.

They’re good, but let’s see when we get 10 games or so into the season. I don’t think this match shows us more than it did. Newcastle is good at punishing a shit defence with shit tactics. If that’s the way Villa played the whole season - they can forget about European football next year.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I'm still going with my prediction of them dropping off this season. First game or month of the season is often times a continuation of the previous one in a way, but once the real stuff gets going in September and you start traveling around Europe for your games, teams get on the same page with fitness, then we see what they're all made out of.

Random Precision

Supports
Newcastle
I'm still going with my prediction of them dropping off this season. First game or month of the season is often times a continuation of the previous one in a way, but once the real stuff gets going in September and you start traveling around Europe for your games, teams get on the same page with fitness, then we see what they're all made out of.
They’ll drop off once the UCL games start blah blah blah!! We’ve been in this kind of consistent form since Jan22 that’s a season and a half. We are growing in strength, have a superb manager and the window hasn’t closed yet. We’ll do ok!!

JuriM

They’ll drop off once the UCL games start blah blah blah!! We’ve been in this kind of consistent form since Jan22 that’s a season and a half. We are growing in strength, have a superb manager and the window hasn’t closed yet. We’ll do ok!!
Nobody are saying you won't be in contention with top 4 again, but absolute every team has their drop offs during busy CL rounds, that's okay and you'll only learn from it.

Zagoon

Supports
Arsenal
Of course you’ll do ok, you’ll be right back at the of the table again.

Anyone with eyes can see that your overall organisation is still excellent and of the best in the league. This is in your attack (the most notable and exciting), in your defensive organisation (moving from attack into defense and defending) and in your dead ball management (both defending and attacking set pieces). All top notch.

As for your depth issues and being “overwhelmed by Europe”. Explain to me how an extra 6-7 games from now until January becomes such a massive problem for you? And have people even considered that Newcastle will likely also blow away CL teams in the group stages and then show up again in the PL? It’s just lazy analysis saying you will fall off because CL, and also driven by the need to not credit your team. Your only problem is injuries, and that isn’t a Newcastle alone problem.

Early days in the new season sure, but the rest of the league have to prove that they have improved beyond Newcastle. And that includes Liverpool, Chelsea, Brighton, Villa and all the other teams who are tipped to push you down to 6-8th place.

Newcastle 4th at least this season.

Last edited:

Judas

Open to offers
Eh pointless to judge yet, I'm interested to see how they'll cope once the CL starts. They barely played many games last season, so it all worked out well.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I think you have a better team than Chelsea. The question marks will be Liverpool and Utd. Utd have improved this summer and considering we were pretty level last campaign I’d expect we might just edge it. Liverpool are more unknown, I think they will outscore a lot of teams, but they are seriously underestimating how poor their defence has now become so I think they will lose a few shockers just like last season. I think you’ll get 4th again to be honest.

arthurka

They look very very good, they have a good balance and a very physically strong side that also has some great ballers as well. They also have added some depth there introduced both Barnes and Wilson into the game who I would consider a fairly solid PL players. Kudos Eddie Howe.

RyRy11

It'll be fascinating to see how they negotiate their season this year being in an extra competition that you have to play your first team in. We already prepared for this last season by going almost all the way in every competition, playing strong squads throughout. My prediction is that one of last years top 4 will drop out and be replaced by Liverpool or Chelsea, but if they can cope then top 4 is definitely possible.

Steve 007

Too early to judge. Got to say though, why is the world predicting Villa would be the surprise package?
The one thing I’ll say about Newcastle though is that their size and physicality is going to be a problem for many teams on the days they play well.

ManchesterMats

Too early to judge. Got to say though, why is the world predicting Villa would be the surprise package?
The one thing I’ll say about Newcastle though is that their size and physicality is going to be a problem for many teams on the days they play well.
They have been playing well every single game for a couple of years now. Barely lost a game at St James last season.

This season I consider Newcastle a true title contender. Manchester City will have a hard time getting a spot at the top 4 with the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal, Manchester United and Brighton. Believe me!

bosnian_red

You've been in consistent form with a consistent break between games. That's a different ball game to teams who play 15-20 games more throughout a season. Of course you're hugely improved, you're a good team. But with European football I don't think you'll be a top 5 team this season now. Doesn't mean you're bad. Just that it's tough to be at CL level while dealing with the traveling and fixture congestion.

Random Precision

Supports
Newcastle
You've been in consistent form with a consistent break between games. That's a different ball game to teams who play 15-20 games more throughout a season. Of course you're hugely improved, you're a good team. But with European football I don't think you'll be a top 5 team this season now. Doesn't mean you're bad. Just that it's tough to be at CL level while dealing with the traveling and fixture congestion.
We have played in Europe before including the CL, the latter a few years back, I’m sure the club are well aware of the demands. We also have strength in depth and the window is still open.

bosnian_red

We have played in Europe before including the CL, the latter a few years back, I’m sure the club are well aware of the demands. We also have strength in depth and the window is still open.
Yes congrats 10 years ago you got to the quarter finals of the Europa League and finished 16th in the league that season, when the previous year you were 5th. I'm not saying they don't know the requirements. I'm saying it is incredibly difficult to carry them out, and that you won't be capable of maintaining your last season level.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
They’ll be alright. I don’t think they will be worse in Europe or will deal worse with additional games than City and PSG were / did in their first decade after their oil takeover.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion

To be clear they are definitely not owned by Saudi Arabia.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
They look very very good, they have a good balance and a very physically strong side that also has some great ballers as well. They also have added some depth there introduced both Barnes and Wilson into the game who I would consider a fairly solid PL players. Kudos Eddie Howe.
Harvey Barnes (38m) and Tonali (55m) are bargains for Newcastle when you looked at the fee for other transfers this window.