Newcastle United - 23/24 season

MUFC OK

Ah, that famous historical friendship between Newcastle and Saudi Arabia. Heartwarming, really.
Meanwhile, it’s strength to strength on the pitch now that their oppressive former owner has left and with him the dark cloud lifted from over the club. I know where I’d stand.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Anyone caught the self produced propaganda ‘documentary’? Good lord it’s so transparent.

Also… filming phone calls made as part of the Antony Gordon transfer feels properly stupid.

Shearer an absolute sell out for doing the voice over too.

ManchesterMats

Anyone caught the self produced propaganda ‘documentary’? Good lord it’s so transparent.

Also… filming phone calls made as part of the Antony Gordon transfer feels properly stupid.

Shearer an absolute sell out for doing the voice over too.
You’re just jellous because we don’t have Saudi money…

City will get a hard time tonight and I won’t be surprised if Newcastle where to come off with the victory.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Hang your heads in shame. Against 10 men? Shocking.

bringbackbebe

Ah, that famous historical friendship between Newcastle and Saudi Arabia. Heartwarming, really.
Nothing to suspect here. It's been there since the Roman times when the Saudis sent a delegation via a chartered flight to attend Hadrian's founding of the city.

Swordsman

Nothing to do with Howe.

Bruno and Tonali giving away balls on multiple occasions. Can't believe I'm saying this but Joelinton made the best passes amongst the midfield 3.

Almiron missing multiple chances.

Barnes choked in a high-pressure moment, not passing the ball to Wilson.

ASM isn't the answer. He can dribble but often can't pass/cross properly.

Newcastle best player was Gordon. He's the upgraded ASM if you will. Unfortunately, he couldn't stay for the whole game.

Andy 1892

Supports
Newcastle
Nothing to do with Howe.

Bruno and Tonali giving away balls on multiple occasions. Can't believe I'm saying this but Joelinton made the best passes amongst the midfield 3.

Newcastle best player was Gordon. He's the upgraded ASM if you will. Unfortunately, he couldn't stay for the whole game.
Nah, this result is absolutely on EH. Tonali's passing wasn't the best, but positionally he had control of the midfield and was exerting himself more than Bruno and Joelinton. Longstaff as a replacement is obviously not the answer when you're trying to control a game, he is purely a runner. That sub was the first mistake.

The second was bringing Gordon off for Barnes. Gordon didn't look tired and had the bit between his teeth, Trent must've breathed a huge sigh of relief seeing him come off for a player who doesn't dribble but looks to run in behind.

Howe hasn't dropped many bollocks for us, but he did yesterday. I'm sure he'd be the first to admit that too.

Reactions: sizzling sausages

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
Tonali was terrible, hopefully that tones down the over-the-top praise he's been getting.

mu4c_20le

I only realized afterwards that Howe brought on Matt Targett after Botman went off, and moved Burn to cb. Who is probably slower than Van Buyten. No wonder Nunez blew past him like he wasn't there.

Jeffthered

I looked at the attacking line up.. Almiron (playing v well, v effective player..), Isak and Gordon. On the bench, Callum Wilson and Harvey Barnes. And they sold St Maximan.

Good, astute signings (let's not even mention Guimares, Trippier and now Tonali...). A dangerous front five to choose from.

How can they manage that, and we cannot? How can we not see players like Isak, Tonali? Why? Why?

They have a decent defence too... they are work in progress, but they look good, Eddie Howe looks a really good young manager.

I just feel sometimes we are not 'sharp' enough, all round as a football club. We are v v sluggish on and off the pitch.Look at the take-over debacle. Other clubs are just more current , more effective and progressive in terms of how they go about their business.

Good luck to geordies.

el3mel

I have enjoyed all games they played this season so far. They are playing some great football imo and we're unlucky with the results. Didn't find them as enjoyable as this last season, in fact.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Nothing to do with Howe.

Bruno and Tonali giving away balls on multiple occasions
. Can't believe I'm saying this but Joelinton made the best passes amongst the midfield 3.

Nothing to do with Howe expect for buying those players, coaching them, keeping them on the pitch, managing the game after the red and shaping club mentality.

But apart from that, he is blameless and they have let him down!

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I only realized afterwards that Howe brought on Matt Targett after Botman went off, and moved Burn to cb. Who is probably slower than Van Buyten. No wonder Nunez blew past him like he wasn't there.
I don’t know why he did it but just as Salah was passing the ball, Burn stopped running for a split second, which allowed Nunez to blow past him. I think if he had just carried on tracking him without the stop, he could have covered Nunez better

GlasgowCeltic

I looked at the attacking line up.. Almiron (playing v well, v effective player..), Isak and Gordon. On the bench, Callum Wilson and Harvey Barnes. And they sold St Maximan.

Good, astute signings (let's not even mention Guimares, Trippier and now Tonali...). A dangerous front five to choose from.

How can they manage that, and we cannot? How can we not see players like Isak, Tonali? Why? Why?

They have a decent defence too... they are work in progress, but they look good, Eddie Howe looks a really good young manager.

I just feel sometimes we are not 'sharp' enough, all round as a football club. We are v v sluggish on and off the pitch.Look at the take-over debacle. Other clubs are just more current , more effective and progressive in terms of how they go about their business.

Good luck to geordies.
Isak is good and Wilson is a good backup to him, the rest of the attack have legs but lack quality. I think Tonali will ultimately flop

Nero

Massively overachieved last year. They'll finish around 8th this season.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Three losses in a row since people leapt to conclusions about how brilliant they are after an opening win against Villa.

I now look forward to people equally overreacting to losses against City, Liverpool and Brighton, three of the toughest fixtures in the league. Two of which were away.

RuudTom83

They will be fine...but it's all about expectation, which has been risen this season.

Life is easy when you are on a good run and everything is new and nobody expects you to win. But then a season or two later when you still haven't won anything and a few players start running 5-10% less then suddenly you are back where you started.

But it's nice to see Howe get a bit of a humbling.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Brutal start to the season. More favourable fixtures between now and the end of October though so that will give a decent indication.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think they'll eventually be okay for a top 8 finish but don't see top 4 again. The Tonali signing is an odd one, it was glaringly obvious yesterday he doesn't have the same pressing and drive instinct that other members of the team like Bruno, Gordon etc. have.

Castia

They’ll be ok. City, Liverpool and Brighton away in the first 4 games is crazy

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Three losses in a row since people leapt to conclusions about how brilliant they are after an opening win against Villa.

I now look forward to people equally overreacting to losses against City, Liverpool and Brighton, three of the toughest fixtures in the league. Two of which were away.
There is no in between on the internet. We must draw absolute conclusion from each game we watch. Those are the rules.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
They'll be fine. 3 games in the trot against city, pool and Brighton, we'd probably lose all of them too.

Smithy89

Howe is the Leamington Spa Dychey, they are honestly one of the most boring teams to watch.

Wilt

Nothing to see here. Having played City, liverpool, Brighton ….most teams would struggle

RedRocket9908

Newcastle's fanbase really is embarrasing these days, one minute they all have tea towels on heads in the stands and the next they are attending Saudi Arabia matches carrying Saudi Arabian flags and wearing Saudi Arabian coloured shirts.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Newcastle's fanbase really is embarrasing these days, one minute they all have tea towels on heads in the stands and the next they are attending Saudi Arabia matches carrying Saudi Arabian flags and wearing Saudi Arabian coloured shirts.
Literally applauding murderers.

Such a shame what’s happened to that club. I feel for a lot of the fans who will hate it.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Harvey Barnes injured, out for 'months' with a foot injury