Next Arsenal Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
If the £50m transfer pot next season IS true, whoever comes in will have a big job on their hands. Would a big name want to stake their reps on that job and put up with all the grief?

Akshay

Staff
When the new man comes in and they achieve similar or worse results the fans will rightly turn their attention to the real problem at Arsenal, the board.

They’ll be shit again next season no matter who they get. I think they need big money suspending on a major squad revamp and the board won’t support it.
I'm not sure they will. The new guy will have no credit in the bank and will be facing questions from day 1. It's easy for Chelsea fans to turn on managers who've won them a title, imagine what will happen to an Arsenal manager who doesn't win anything.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Latest reports seem to be that Allegri/Enrique would be given a £200 million transfer kitty.
Whoever takes over should be given around that amount to spend because that squad needs a massive overhaul but I can't say Arsenal spending anywhere near £200M.

Jacko21

Will echo what others have said, I think they could turn to Jardim.

Would also allow Arsenal to make some tenuous link between Wenger/Monaco. Not unlike our 'cut from the same cloth' line about Moyes.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
I dont know why but got a sneaky feeling they may approach Newcastle to talk to Rafa! :nervous:
That would be a quite sensible appointment, so rather unlikely.

Why isn’t Julian Nagelsmann being mentioned?

He would cost less, he can work within a tight budget, plays attractive high intensity football built on a solid defence, he’s innovative, courageous and super young with fresh ideas and has been very successful in his short management career.

I read Chelsea and Bayern are interested in him.. he ticks all the right boxes for Arsenal in my opinion.
He's been hyped up a lot, but I do not think that he could make it at Chelsea and he would even possibly struggle at Bayern.
Consistency is not his strength, so he would not be an upgrade on Wenger.

No Champions League. No Allegri.
I could imagine that having no CL is actually a blessing in disguise for the new manager. It lowers expectations and the new guy can hardly perform worse than Wenger in his last season.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Seems like Allegri has ruled himself out.

Judas

Open to offers
It's a mad and risky appointment if they go down that road. You'd think the board would be desperate to get a reasonably solid choice in to get top 4.

SpyLuke10

What about Napoli's Sarri, do people reckon he would be good for Arsenal?

ti vu

What about Napoli's Sarri, do people reckon he would be good for Arsenal?
It's not like Arsenal is in position of strength to offer the job and the manager would only say yes. Arsenal is not in a really good shape and doesn't sound like the board would give huge support to overturn their decline. Sarri is doing well at Napoli. Unless it's a clear upgrade from big club, I believe he would thing twice before accepting a job like Arsenal at this moment.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Allegri said he is staying at Juventus. Bad news. It means Arteta is getting closer. Can't see us getting the likes of Jardim or Ancelotti.

Nikelesh Reddy

Allegri has ruled himself out of the race.He made it clear yesterday that he wanted to stay at Juve next season...

Bojan11

To be fair not sure why people read too much into these comments.

Allegri is hardly going to come out and say after they won the title that oh I’m off goodbye.

Kapardin

If the £50m transfer pot next season IS true, whoever comes in will have a big job on their hands. Would a big name want to stake their reps on that job and put up with all the grief?
50 Million. Can buy toothbrushes for all the players in today's market.:lol:

saivet

To be fair not sure why people read too much into these comments.

Allegri is hardly going to come out and say after they won the title that oh I’m off goodbye.
He could have given a wishy washy answer

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Why isn’t Julian Nagelsmann being mentioned?

He would cost less, he can work within a tight budget, plays attractive high intensity football built on a solid defence, he’s innovative, courageous and super young with fresh ideas and has been very successful in his short management career.

I read Chelsea and Bayern are interested in him.. he ticks all the right boxes for Arsenal in my opinion.
If he was available he would've been signed by either Bayern or Dortmund months ago.
He has a release clause for 2019 and Hoffenheim's daddy won't let him go before that and neither does Nagelsmann appear to be willing to try to put pressure on the club that took such a massive gamble on him.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
All the rumors, Allegri and Guardiola's comments clearly indicates Arteta was the main candidate all along for Gazidis.
Seems like he's going to impose his choice to Sanllehi and Mislintat.
It's a massive risk that could be a genius move or a total catastrophe.
If the point was to make a bold move and go for youth, then i would not have minded Nagelsmann.
The biggest fear is that their "boldness" will stop at the name and they won't back him with the 150/200M needed to try and (re)build some sort of defensive unit.
He's really loved around the club so it will buy him some time but the amount of pressure they're putting on him is mental.
Imagine getting your first gig as manager of a 1 billion and top 10 European club :wenger:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
50 Million. Can buy toothbrushes for all the players in today's market.:lol:
Will have to sell players. Tbh you could sell Xhaxa for 20m to get in a proper box to box player. Mustafi is also very mediocre so sell him and a few more fringe players and that should be 100m +.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I don't believe Arsenal were ever going to go big given history says they do things on the cheap, the only good thing is if Allegri chooses to leave Juve next summer and Arteta is a disaster then 2 and 2 might go together then

dove

It was always clear they won't get Allegri, no idea why so many Arsenal fans even thought he would want to manage Arsenal... Even if he leaves Juve and goes to PL, it's gonna be Chelsea. I think it will be one of Arteta/Vieira.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
If Arsenal was desperate for an ex player, Patrick Vieira would have been my choice.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Some fans on reddit suggest that Kroenke appointed a relative rookie to his NFL team this season and he has been a smashing success there. Won't be surprised to see him trying to replicate the same thing here.

Although I don't know a thing about NFL so those fans could be talking shit.

Carolina Red

Staff
Some fans on reddit suggest that Kroenke appointed a relative rookie to his NFL team this season and he has been a smashing success there. Won't be surprised to see him trying to replicate the same thing here.

Although I don't know a thing about NFL so those fans could be talking shit.
They’re telling the truth. He hired Sean McVay as the LA Rams Head Coach before last season when McVay was just 30.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
They’re telling the truth. He hired Sean McVay as the LA Rams Head Coach before last season when McVay was just 30.
Can see why he's going for Arteta than, trying to replicate that.

UpWithRivers

They should get Benitez. Makes perfect sense to me. League experience, good manager, won't ask for the world considering where he is at now and lastly they won't get much better.

SirAF

Ageist
They should get Benitez. Makes perfect sense to me. League experience, good manager, won't ask for the world considering where he is at now and lastly they won't get much better.
Wouldn’t be a bad choice. He should be able to make them compete for top four.

I suspect the fans wouldn’t take to him though.

Kapardin

Yep, considering where Benitez has Newcastle in the league, he would probably crack top 4 with the current Arsenal squad. But I don't think they consider him as "exciting" or "progressive".

Arteta won't likely do worse than Wenger in the last 2 seasons I suppose.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Can see why he's going for Arteta than, trying to replicate that.
Don't really know anything about NFL either but i'd guess coaching is a lot different to football, there is more players, divided in defensive and offensive units.

Maybe the coaching structure around him is more experienced.

But yeah if we're going the ex-player route, I prefer Arteta than Vieira. Just a feeling that he would not offer enough besides his aura.

Last edited by a moderator:

simplyared

Certainly a difficult one this. Anyone's guess! See some people of late bringing Benitez into the equation which is a good shout imv. The only concerns for me would be his health. Like Brucey one of those managers who looks like he's forgotten to look after himself and needs an urgent makeover asap.

Last edited:

Chipper

Adulterer.
It's not like Arsenal is in position of strength to offer the job and the manager would only say yes. Arsenal is not in a really good shape and doesn't sound like the board would give huge support to overturn their decline. Sarri is doing well at Napoli. Unless it's a clear upgrade from big club, I believe he would thing twice before accepting a job like Arsenal at this moment.
On the other hand Sarri has never won a trophy and Napoli have done little in Europe under him. Perfect for Arsenal. :lol: While nobody comes with a cast-iron guarantee there are plenty of coaches out there more proven than he is and he's had this success relatively late in his career. There's still question marks about him. As Arsenal would almost certain to be paying him more, and as Napoli may struggle to continue to challenge for Serie A if they were to lose certain players it could be a good time to jump ship and cash in should Arsenal come in for him.

His rep is as high as it's ever been and may ever be.

Edit: Everyone seems to think he's off to Chelsea rather than Arsenal anyway.

Last edited:

Runner

Can't see why Vieira would leave the City football group now. He's being groomed to take over at City.

crossy1686

career ending
Can't see why Vieira would leave the City football group now. He's being groomed to take over at City.
There's a massive gap between American soccer and the Premier League, they'd be absolutely mad to put him in charge once Pep moves on. Arteta surely has more of a chance.

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
Wenger being frugal had a lot to do with the stadium move. Wenger has even talked about it himself:

(Article is from May 2017)

The financial pressure eased in 2010 when Highbury Square development was debt free and making revenue, but they had also accepted unusually long-term deals for several of their main commercial revenue streams back in 2006, like kit manufacturers and shirt sponsors. Deals that would been worse of then all their main competitors in the later years of the deals. When those deals expired in 2014, they were able to negotiate new and way better deals, which gave them a huge boost in the coffers.

In recent years, Arsenal have had more money to spend, and Wenger have spent more. Özil for 42.5m, Alexis for 30m, Mustafi for 35m, Xhaka for 30m, Lacazette for 46.5m, Aubameyang for 56m.

Maybe they could've been more successful between 2006 and 2014 if they had invested more in the squad, but they had a huge loan to deal with and for the later years of that period they had less than ideal commercial incomes because of the long-term deals. They went the sensible way and Wenger kept them in the Champions League while they did it.
Brilliant post. A lot of posters (young, I assume) berate Wenger not recognizing what he had done for Arsenal back in the late 90s - from diet and squad changes to revamping the youth structure - the real achievement of Wenger was imposing his own unimpressionable style on Arsenal from 96 to 06 (CL finalists). What he has achieved on a limited budget since then; still finishing top 4 every year is down to his skills.

Back to the thread, Jardim/Tuchel seem good fits. Rodgers is a good shout as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.