Next Arsenal Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
It has actually surprised me talk of him quitting Chelsea has died down lately. Bar further collapse from Spurs (which given it's Spurs will probably happen) they won't be in CL next season. And could easily lose FA cup final given how strong their opponent is.

So europa league and no trophies is certainly a sackable offence under Abramovich.

If that happens it will be interesting to see the calibre of coach Chelsea attract. If Arsenal don't make a quick appointment that could actually put them under a lot of pressure if Chelsea pick up someone good like they did with Conte two years ago.

Bojan11

Allegri ?:(
I definitely don't think he will be a good option.

- First he starts by being too defensive, coward so the team has difficulties to attack. During the games, he is waiting too much time to make the offensive subs when they are needed.
- Then, he leans on a big and mentally strong defense, more than Simeone. When Chiellini and Barzagli are bad or face direct attacks, they conceded a lot of chances. The defensive players are like more important than the tactics. So he probably needs to change all the defensive front apart Kolasinac
- Plus, i don't get the "he punches above his squad weight". It's probably the case in 2015 when they eliminated Real and did a great match against Barca but since, he has lost against any better side he met: Bayern in 2016, Real in 2017 and Real again in 2018.
- Finally with his mentality: "i create a defensive plan and let the creatives be creative" he won't improve the offensive side, the lack of movements... and would need some big players, again. For a long term, no need to dream about a transformation into a offensive team because he is stubborn

Anyway, nothing sounds like a start of a good idea
Ancelotti is interesting to manage big teams - not the case of Arsenal and win cups, not to compet for a top 4 of the league
Enrique ? Far from being sure.
Sarri is the opposite of Allegri. Too obstinate with his football pf position. It is beautiful but nothing more.
The others are inexperienced

Tuchel and Low would have been such perfect. Well there is still Jardim
That makes no sense.

Why would you say Allegri isn’t perfect then go on to say Low would be?

Low wasn’t a great club manager before becoming Klinsmann assistant. There’s a big difference managing a national and club team. Big Phil found that out too. Low wouldn’t be a perfect appointment. He hasn’t managed a club for over a decade. He’d be busy with Germany until July most likely, which is far from perfect preparation.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Wait.. Rui Faria is a serious candidate at Arsenal?

Clicking on Ornstein tweets to see the Arsenal fan replies is my favourite guilty pleasure. :lol:

reddaz71

They wont be making the same mistake as us thats for sure,they will go for a world renowned manager!

Tom Van Persie

No relation
They wont be making the same mistake as us thats for sure,they will go for a world renowned manager!
That's if they can attract a world renowned manager. Arsenal are only willing to spend around £50M in the summer, reports out there that the board want a manager on the cheap and that Allegri/Enrique both apparently have concerns over the structure at the club doesn't sound promising for them.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
That's if they can attract a world renowned manager. Arsenal are only willing to spend around £50M in the summer, reports out there that the board want a manager on the cheap and that Allegri/Enrique both apparently have concerns over the structure at the club doesn't sound promising for them.
Latest reports seem to be that Allegri/Enrique would be given a £200 million transfer kitty.

wub1234

Supports
Don't support a team
The thing about managers is that fans often assume that because a manager has been successful somewhere that he will automatically be successful someone else. It really doesn't work like that. Almost every manager has completely failed somewhere, and this is becoming almost inevitable in the modern climate because you have to achieve relentless and immediate success. Even Ferguson, undoubtedly one of the very greatest managers ever, was sacked by St. Mirren, and would have been sacked by United long before the success happened in the contemporary game. Arsenal could get Allegri or Enrique and either one of them could bomb completely.

Also, nowadays both fans, and it seems the clubs themselves, will only seemingly consider a handful of candidates. It's either managers who have already been at a big club, or coaches who are somehow affiliated with the club already. Arsenal's previous three managers came from Millwall, Bolton and Nagoya Grampus Eight! Can you imagine the crying and toy throwing that would take place if Arsenal employed someone like that now?! Or United's next manager was the manager of Aberdeen?!

Whoever takes over at Arsenal will have a tough job because they'll have 18 months, at best, to fulfil the completely unreasonable expectations of supporters, while competing in a hugely competitive climate against bigger clubs, with more money.

Reactions: Sly

Bojan11

Latest reports seem to be that Allegri/Enrique would be given a £200 million transfer kitty.
£200m :lol:

No chance of that happening especially with Stan Kronke around. The board probably think they overspent in the last year with Aubamayang and Lacazette.

JSArsenal

£200m :lol:

No chance of that happening especially with Stan Kronke around. The board probably think they overspent in the last year with Aubamayang and Lacazette.
Funny thing is.

We made a profit the past two windows. Giroud, Coquelin, Sanchez, Walcott, Chamberlain, Gibbs, Gabriel, Chesney and a few kids were all sold. After a summer where we finished fifth, Wenger thought it was enough to buy a striker and a LB when we needed so much more.

All in all I think we made £19M profit. If the board play stingy this summer after that then I give up. Especially seeing as how Per, Cazorla and Mustafi ( I pray) will definitely be sold. Bellerin, Ramsey, Wilshere, Ospina could all go as well

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
I don't blame them. Arsenal are a mess of a club at the moment whoever takes over this summer is going to have one hell of a job on their hands with limited funds.
Yeah, but just blame Wenger and get rid of him :rolleyes:.

It's a long, long way to go for us.

montpelier

I'd shuffle Benitez to the top of the list if I was them. But have a hunch that Brendan Rodgers will have a good go at getting it, he will tell them what they want to hear, ''great squad here already, just a couple of signings...'' kinda thing.

They can use Benitez to steady the ship, because he will build from the back forwards - which is what I reckon they need just now.

Canagel

I dont know why but got a sneaky feeling they may approach Newcastle to talk to Rafa! :nervous:
They should. He would stabilize things and get them to push above their weight. Not a long term solution but he definitely has the capability to take them forward.

Aurell

Supports
Football
That makes no sense.

Low wasn’t a great club manager before becoming Klinsmann assistant. There’s a big difference managing a national and club team. Big Phil found that out too. Low wouldn’t be a perfect appointment. He hasn’t managed a club for over a decade. He’d be busy with Germany until July most likely, which is far from perfect preparation.

Well so because he was bad before being Klinsmann's assistant, we can't presume he improved while being Under Klinsmann and assume that is a good coach now and could be a good target for a club ?
I know it's different but a lot of managers succeed in both "type" and he actually did a good season with Stuttgart :smirk:

Plus, I´ve already said why I wouldn't choose Allegri but if you ask me why I thought about Low...?

- He knows some of the German players: Ozil, Mustafi, Merte who will stay in the club - perhaps Mislintat - and could bring others: Draxler, Weigl, Brandt, Younes (maybe already at Napoli) Meyer...
- He have a "direct attack" way to play but can adapt to a football of possession, with more cautious. He also a used a lot of different systems: 433, 4231, 352. 343.
- Many Arsenal players are from Germany so are used to these mentality
- His defense seems good but it's difficult to base on Germany to conclude that
- He is used to play with young players
- He often brings some unfinished players like Weigl, Stindl or Draxler in the 1st team (which would be good for Mislintat's players) and sticks to his men over time. He really developed a group with a favorite but adjustable tactic.
- He is one of the rare coaches who seems to know how to take the best of Ozil

And actually Conte did the Euros2016, then went to Chelsea and win the title, so, who knows ? Anyway I did (or think I did) use the conditional because my point was that if the board woke up earlier Low (if he wants to go) and Tuchel could have been attractive targets. But PSG got the second

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
The thing about managers is that fans often assume that because a manager has been successful somewhere that he will automatically be successful someone else. It really doesn't work like that. Almost every manager has completely failed somewhere, and this is becoming almost inevitable in the modern climate because you have to achieve relentless and immediate success. Even Ferguson, undoubtedly one of the very greatest managers ever, was sacked by St. Mirren, and would have been sacked by United long before the success happened in the contemporary game. Arsenal could get Allegri or Enrique and either one of them could bomb completely.

Also, nowadays both fans, and it seems the clubs themselves, will only seemingly consider a handful of candidates. It's either managers who have already been at a big club, or coaches who are somehow affiliated with the club already. Arsenal's previous three managers came from Millwall, Bolton and Nagoya Grampus Eight! Can you imagine the crying and toy throwing that would take place if Arsenal employed someone like that now?! Or United's next manager was the manager of Aberdeen?!

Whoever takes over at Arsenal will have a tough job because they'll have 18 months, at best, to fulfil the completely unreasonable expectations of supporters, while competing in a hugely competitive climate against bigger clubs, with more money.
Great post.

The thing is I don't think Wenger was even a bad coach tactically, the biggest problem was the way the squad deteriorated and it will take a few years to get this Arsenal team challenging for the title even if everything goes right.

For that reason I don't think the next manager will have much success relative to the fans' expectations but I don't think he'll get most of the blame either, the supporters will start going after the board for their lack of spending.

It's almost like an identity crisis for Arsenal now and I think United went through the same and still haven't really got out of it. Having a long term manager has a lot of benefits but it makes handling the succession extremely hard regardless of who they go for. It helps that it won't be Moyes though.

Distracted Steward

My question is who is going to be the one that looks at the squad and decides what do so about it.

They went a decade with the same problems. Will they have someone with both the aptitude and authority to do something about it? That’s a bigger deal to me than who manages/coaches the first team.

wub1234

Supports
Don't support a team
For that reason I don't think the next manager will have much success relative to the fans' expectations but I don't think he'll get most of the blame either, the supporters will start going after the board for their lack of spending.
I think there is a lot of truth in what you're saying, but I believe that all managers at the top clubs will come under pressure now if they're not successful. There is too much media coverage now, the PL is placed under too much scrutiny, and it eventually influences the mood of supporters. You have to have a lot of capital in the bank if the fans are going to refrain from turning on you. Plus Arsenal are in the unique position of having AFTV, and I can't imagine that lot being reasonable. They say they will now, but they'll soon start sulking.

Players have so much influence now as well. The last three managers to win the PL all lasted a maximum of one season after that (assuming Conte goes). Leicester gave up trying for some reason and Ranieri went, Chelsea fell out with Mourinho, and they don't really seem to have been giving it 100% this season. I'm sure you remember that Real Madrid's squad didn't exactly break their backs to keep Benitez in a job. Allegri or Enrique could go in there, and the players could decide that they don't like him, particularly having been so used to Wenger for so long, and pretty soon the managerial position becomes untenable. In principle, even though he was crap, Moyes shouldn't have been sacked as United manager, but in practice it was always going to happen.

Particularly if they appoint Enrique, who has very little experience, had a much easier job at Barcelona, and wasn't even rated by their supporters (perhaps unfairly), this is going to be an extremely tough job.

Last edited:

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Allegri is my preferred choice just because Arsenal need a good coach to work on the tactics to improve the defensive side of the team, especially when transfer fund will not be massive. I believe it is possible to bring him on board if money is right, and the role and responsibility are well defined (not like Conte's situation in chelsea), as he may want a new challenge after 4 years in Juventus. There won't be any manager like SAF or wenger stay in one job for over 20 years anymore. 4-5 years is the norm.

Crashoutcassius

That makes no sense.

Tbf tho he is a coach rather than a manager as you mentioned and arsenal seem yo be transitioning hard to take power away from coach and just have him... coach. Low can do this.

Castia

When the new man comes in and they achieve similar or worse results the fans will rightly turn their attention to the real problem at Arsenal, the board.

They’ll be shit again next season no matter who they get. I think they need big money suspending on a major squad revamp and the board won’t support it.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
Why isn’t Julian Nagelsmann being mentioned?

He would cost less, he can work within a tight budget, plays attractive high intensity football built on a solid defence, he’s innovative, courageous and super young with fresh ideas and has been very successful in his short management career.

I read Chelsea and Bayern are interested in him.. he ticks all the right boxes for Arsenal in my opinion.

SirAF

Ageist
Why isn’t Julian Nagelsmann being mentioned?

He would cost less, he can work within a tight budget, plays attractive high intensity football built on a solid defence, he’s innovative, courageous and super young with fresh ideas and has been very successful in his short management career.

I read Chelsea and Bayern are interested in him.. he ticks all the right boxes for Arsenal in my opinion.
He’s probably too young. I’m not convinced a 30 year old could walk into a big club like that and command respect from seasoned pros.

Status
Not open for further replies.