g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Next captain post-Carrick

Who should be the captain post-Carrick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Funny how we've known about Carrick retiring for months and this is the first time the subject of who's the next captain has come up

It's of course going to be Valencia given he's been the one wearing the armband in Carrick's absence (I guess that's why the subject hasn't come up)

gza the genius

I voted for De Gea though only because I doubt Herrera will start regularly next season. I wish it could be Pogba but he's clearly not ready yet.

laughtersassassin

De Gea or if Jose wants it to be an outfield player then Paul.

Valencia doesn't speak and should be replaced as a starter next season. None of our senior players are particularly great so it falls to our best players then.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Not valencia. He does absolutely nothing to fire up his team mates or communicate some sort of order during the game. We can see that.

I like Young and Matic personally.

haram

It will probably be Valencia captain, Matic vice captain, but Valencia playing less often essentially making Matic captain.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Don't really tend to have good luck with captains I feel, since Keane.

Neville was actually Captain after Keane, but giggs always had the armband cus Neville was always injured. Then it was vidic, who I feel was coming to the end of his united career really. Fairly solid but won't be remembered for being a captain.
I remember being quite surprised to find out that Rio never was our captain — but there was a point where he played regularly with an armband, I think it was during both Neville's and Vidic's spells since both were quite often unavailable. I think he is my post-Keane favourite, actually, he was so natural at this

Kapardin

Valencia won't start regularly next season. I think it will be Matic or de Gea (if Jose doesn't mind the GK being captain).

Quite like the idea of Matic as captain, he's got some qualities.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
I remember being quite surprised to find out that Rio never was our captain — but there was a point where he played regularly with an armband, I think it was during both Neville's and Vidic's spells since both were quite often unavailable. I think he is my post-Keane favourite, actually, he was so natural at this
IIR he was made captain but then Fergie gave it to vidic because of Rio being quite injury prone?

Morpheus 7

I chose Pogba because I think that's the responsibility and step up he needs. It would be a great significant step from Jose and boost him which would impact the team. He knows the club well and could be here for many years still. The man has got the quality to change a game on his own. He's popular with the rest of the team and it would be a real statement. Dave could be captain too but I prefer a more vocal player, more importantly an outfield player. I know we have had Schmeichel but he was a vocal leader. Matic is a short term one because of age, just here too. He's already experienced, I prefer one that will have most effect on the player, team and support. Media having a go on Pogba as United captain will galvanise team and support more. Makes so much sense to me. I still believe Paul Pogba can be our talisman, in my opinion he's the best overall footballer we have too. When Pogba is playing well, Man United are playing well.

JMack1234

Yeah it's a problem going through the candidates,

Alexis- Nope. Only just got here in January for christ sake.

Ander Herrera- Has all the attributes but doesn't play every week

Antonio Valencia- Can't/Won't speak English

Chris Smalling- Worse choices out there but no.

David De Gea- Stand out choice for me. Lets give him the armband and try to convince him to become our Casillas.

Ashley Young- If we're starting him next year we have serious problems.

Matic- Just got here but worse choices

Pogba- It blow up any moment between him and Mourinho.

The Hacker

The best player shouldn’t be captain. The captain had a role to manage the game and so get the best players to do their job properly. They should Feel the pace of the game and use his team to dictate the pace where possible. A keeper rarely gets the feel for that or can influence it from his position. CB or midfield can, but it also needs a strong character to do that.

I don’t think we have a true captain in the side.

I voted for De Gea, he plays every week and is consistent, I don't think we have any outfield players that are consistent. With Dave we know what we're dealing with, the rest not so much...

ken11

Many say DDG but he isn't vocal enough on and likely, off the field.

I voted Ander because I think he has the spirit and vocalness needed. Just needs to play more though.

Luke1995

Ander Herrera because on his best days he is all over the pitch showing desire to win. He is not a world class player but his leadership qualities really stand out for me.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
I think Pogba is going to receive it, but I also would be happy if it was given to De Gea.

3KDré

It's probably going to Valencia, but if he's not starting next year its the vice captain who will end up captaining more (just like this year). Vice Captain might be Young or Smalling but I would give it to De Gea or Pogba.

Andersons Dietician

Pick one. Dave is the stand-out choice.
DDG stands out.
Give De Gea a fat new contract and make him El Capitano to sweeten the deal - he's the only realistic candidate
De Gea would be my vote but Im not in the dressing room.
Can I ask why Dave? Have you just chosen him because he is our best player?

See if there was one fault with Dave for me it would be his organising of the back line and taking ownership of it. He doesn’t seem the type to get involved and really seems a bit of an introvert, so for me i’m not sure he is captain material.

Obviously none of us know what he is actually like but was just wondering what you guys have seen that I maybe haven’t.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Pogba should be the last person as captain. Being able to pull off skillful tricks and being talented doesn't make you a captain. His tactical intelligence and awareness is basically nonexistent. He isn't capable of being a leader.

Minimalist

Can I ask why Dave? Have you just chosen him because he is our best player?

See if there was one fault with Dave for me it would be his organising of the back line and taking ownership of it. He doesn’t seem the type to get involved and really seems a bit of an introvert, so for me i’m not sure he is captain material.

Obviously none of us know what he is actually like but was just wondering what you guys have seen that I maybe haven’t.
Best player, always plays, consistent and is time and time again a match-winner which I feel is surely inspirational to his team-mates.

To me, it's either him or Matic for similar reasons (albeit he's not a match-winner as often).

Revan

Assumptionman
It should be De Gea. Hardly the most talkative one, but leading with example and all that.

Gopher Brown

What about worst candidates for captain?

Martial
Lingard
Fellaini - imagine the backlash from fans

I wouldn’t put it past Fellaini to demand it in his new contract. We’re so desperate to keep him that we’d probably agree to it.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
De Gea. No one else deserves it. He's not the most vocal, but he leads by example with his consistent performances.

Ciddy

De Gea is quite honestly the ONLY option. We don’t have anyone else with a presence in the entire squad. De Gea is in my eyes the ONLY guaranteed starter these days.