Next Draft - Ideas and Discussions

Moby

Dick
So i am thinking 200m to start + 100m for each time you pass start.. Assuming each player roughly takes 4 to 5 die rolls to get through the board you end up with roughly 600m to 700m assuming total of 14 die rolls..

With average player prices of ~40m enough money to get the players you want and also to bid on other players etc.

Another thing.. We can allow boxes to be purchased by managers.. Once owned they get to veto players and/or get rent from managers who land on the box
Sounds good. In.

Indnyc

Yeah but I don't think it should be an enforced only allowed 2 skips, should just roll until everyone has got 12 players and be allowed to skip what you want, with the budget enforcing that you can't just wait for the good boxes.
I get what you are saying.. But theoretically you'll always have money if you keep skipping turns, won't you? I want to avoid people skipping tougher boxes too many times

Not sure how i can restrict the budget.. Thoughts?

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I get what you are saying.. But theoretically you'll always have money if you keep skipping turns, won't you? I want to avoid people skipping tougher boxes too many times

Not sure how i can restrict the budget.. Thoughts?
True about just constantly skipping it would have to be something along the lines of managers owning boxes to drain money from those not spending anything.

Indnyc

True about just constantly skipping it would have to be something along the lines of managers owning boxes to drain money from those not spending anything.
Yeah it gets difficult.. You can own boxes but i am still trying to figure out how much should a box cost etc..

Indnyc

Monopoly Draft

1. Sjor
  2. Moby
  3. Michaelf
  4. Edgar
  5. 2Mufc0
  6. P-Nut
  7. Zlatan 7
  8. Enigma
  9. Himannv
  10. harms

Moby

Dick
@Indnyc we actually skipped the main discussion point while discussing it. :lol:

It is impossible to do this with criteria because no one can own a criteria. That's why I thought we would be going with Himannv's suggestion of using clubs for boxes (can do countries as well).

So basically the boxes would Real Madrid, FC Barcelona, etc. So I land on Real Madrid, since it is a massively stacked club, I pay a huge amount and buy it. Now I can pick any player for Madrid. If someone else lands on that box, they would have to pay me to buy a player. But the catch there is how much do they pay me because it would grant them the same access it did to me and I paid the whole price. Generally in Monopoly I would just receive money because someone landed on my box and they don't get anything. But we need to figure out how someone gets a player on a box they don't own.

We can do that or simply assign prices with clubs, and better clubs have higher prices. So you simply have to pay the price to get a player of that club. To make things interesting we can say matches will be evaluated with the performances of the player for that club.

Basically though, having clubs/countries instead of criteria for boxes makes it much closer to the actual game and makes more sense with the money aspect.

P-Nut

@Indnyc we actually skipped the main discussion point while discussing it. :lol:

It is impossible to do this with criteria because no one can own a criteria. That's why I thought we would be going with Himannv's suggestion of using clubs for boxes (can do countries as well).

So basically the boxes would Real Madrid, FC Barcelona, etc. So I land on Real Madrid, since it is a massively stacked club, I pay a huge amount and buy it. Now I can pick any player for Madrid. If someone else lands on that box, they would have to pay me to buy a player. But the catch there is how much do they pay me because it would grant them the same access it did to me and I paid the whole price. Generally in Monopoly I would just receive money because someone landed on my box and they don't get anything. But we need to figure out how someone gets a player on a box they don't own.

We can do that or simply assign prices with clubs, and better clubs have higher prices. So you simply have to pay the price to get a player of that club. To make things interesting we can say matches will be evaluated with the performances of the player for that club.

Basically though, having clubs/countries instead of criteria for boxes makes it much closer to the actual game and makes more sense with the money aspect.
Yeah this works a lot easier

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
In actual monopoly you don't spend money on every roll, sometimes you gain money sometimes you just stay as you were. Something that needs to be worked out in the budgets probably.

Couple of other points more to do with the actual board.

Go to jail and the actual jail are the wrong way around. It would end up a benefit going to jail as you'd likely pass go an extra time. Whereas if they are the other way around it will take you longer to pass go and get extra money, meaning you might have to pick lesser players.

In real monopoly the priciest (best) boxes are grouped towards the end of the board, with the cheapest being right at the start. Would be good to incorporate something like that so when you get a high roll and get further towards the good boxes you'd be happier.
Good points all around.

Moby

Dick
Possible option with clubs/countries as boxes.

Say Box says Barcelona.
I land on that box. I pay say 200m and pick Messi.
EAP lands on that box. Since I own that box, he pays some cash to me say 20m.
Then if he wants to pick a Barca player, he pays me the same as what I paid to buy that box - 200m.
He then owns that box. Rinse and repeat.

Edit: Or instead of paying me, he pays it to the bank, else there would be no risk in paying huge for top players. :lol:

P-Nut

Possible option with clubs/countries as boxes.

Say Box says Barcelona.
I land on that box. I pay say 200m and pick Messi.
EAP lands on that box. Since I own that box, he pays some cash to me say 20m.
Then if he wants to pick a Barca player, he pays me the same as what I paid to buy that box - 200m.
He then owns that box. Rinse and repeat.

Edit: Or instead of paying me, he pays it to the bank, else there would be no risk in paying huge for top players. :lol:
My thought was that the cost of a player would be 10% of the buying cost of the box. If you own the box you don't need to pay again to pick a player from there.

So in your example of Barcelona, of you're first their and the box has a price of 200M you can purchase that box and pick whoever you want.

Next manager lands there, if they want a player they need to pay 20M and they can pick anyone who played for Barcelona that isn't picked yet.

More you pay for the club pool rather than specific players to keep it simpler.

Moby

Dick
My thought was that the cost of a player would be 10% of the buying cost of the box. If you own the box you don't need to pay again to pick a player from there.

So in your example of Barcelona, of you're first their and the box has a price of 200M you can purchase that box and pick whoever you want.

Next manager lands there, if they want a player they need to pay 20M and they can pick anyone who played for Barcelona that isn't picked yet.

More you pay for the club pool rather than specific players to keep it simpler.
Nah man that's far too big a disadvantage for someone buying the whole box. Essentially I pay 200m for taking Messi and someone pays 20m for taking Ronaldinho or something.

Basically like the actual Monopoly, when you land in an owned box you have to pay an amount to the guy who owns it which is what would be the case here. That % can be decided or can be a flat 10m. Then if you want to pick a player from that club you should pay to the bank what was originally paid for that box to earn the rights, and the box get transferred to you. That bit is different from original Monopoly but basically there needs to be incentive for buying the box. Having a free right to pick players doesn't guarantee much as you might not land on that box again for example, and other getting players from same pool for 10% of what you paid would be totally lopsided.

P-Nut

Nah man that's far too big a disadvantage for someone buying the whole box. Essentially I pay 200m for taking Messi and someone pays 20m for taking Ronaldinho or something.

Basically like the actual Monopoly, when you land in an owned box you have to pay an amount to the guy who owns it which is what would be the case here. That % can be decided or can be a flat 10m. Then if you want to pick a player from that club you should pay to the bank what was originally paid for that box to earn the rights, and the box get transferred to you. That bit is different from original Monopoly but basically there needs to be incentive for buying the box. Having a free right to pick players doesn't guarantee much as you might not land on that box again for example, and other getting players from same pool for 10% of what you paid would be totally lopsided.
That 10% would add up though, say 6/7 players get picked from Barcelona which isn't unthinkable, you'd get 120/140m back

Moby

Dick
That 10% would add up though, say 6/7 players get picked from Barcelona which isn't unthinkable, you'd get 120/140m back
Yeah even in that specific scenario where I recoup some money from other, they are individually paying way way less than what I did to get players from the same pool, and depending on the club players who are still of top quality! So I'd be hoping all boxes are bought before I land anywhere and just pay 10% on each box to assemble a team, which is pretty much the opposite of what you do in Monopoly. :P

The other simpler option is that we don't do ownership and simply put a price tag based on the club on the box so everyone who lands just pays the price and picks a player. Although that is a bit less interesting.

Himannv

If someone spends 20m on Ronaldinho, they essentially ensure that you get some money back on your investment, and Messi now cost you 180m. Also the next time you land in your own box, you get to pick Xavi, which means you've got both Messi and Xavi for a price of 180m (provided no one else buys a Barca player from you of course). So buying a club will always add some value, especially as the game goes along. What should be made difficult is for someone to earn enough money to buy multiple big clubs and end up with a "monopoly" of the club football market.

Moby

Dick
If someone spends 20m on Ronaldinho, they essentially ensure that you get some money back on your investment, and Messi now cost you 180m. Also the next time you land in your own box, you get to pick Xavi, which means you've got both Messi and Xavi for a price of 180m (provided no one else buys a Barca player from you of course). So buying a club will always add some value, especially as the game goes along. What should be made difficult is for someone to earn enough money to buy multiple big clubs and end up with a "monopoly" of the club football market.
Simply tell me which position you would rather be in - one where you have to pay 200m to essentially get one player at the time, not knowing whether you would be able to pick any more players from that club at all depending you land there again - or land on that box already owned, pay 20m and get 2nd/3rd best player from that club?

If this has to work than it needs to be a lot more than 10%. 10% is nothing.

Thing is it is a draft at the end of the day, not monopoly. I don't care whether I get some of the money back, I still end up paying a lot more than others for similar quality players, and that's when I paid for the box first which should be rewarding relative to other managers, not a liability.

Himannv

Simply tell me which position you would rather be in - one where you have to pay 200m to essentially get one player at the time, not knowing whether you would be able to pick any more players from that club at all depending you land there again - or land on that box already owned, pay 20m and get 2nd/3rd best player from that club?

If this has to work than it needs to be a lot more than 10%. 10% is nothing.

Thing is it is a draft at the end of the day, not monopoly. I don't care whether I get some of the money back, I still end up paying a lot more than others for similar quality players, and that's when I paid for the box first which should be rewarding relative to other managers, not a liability.
Well, as I said in my first post, the costs per player and club have to be carefully thought out. You shouldn't be able to get both Ronaldinho and Titus Bramble for the same price. There have to be specific costs or tiers, which is a massive mathematical and football player + club valuation effort.

Moby

Dick
Well, as I said in my first post, the costs per player and club have to be carefully thought out. You shouldn't be able to get both Ronaldinho and Titus Bramble for the same price. There have to be specific costs or tiers, which is a massive mathematical and football player + club valuation effort.
Putting prices on individual players or even tiers is a massive exercise on it's own and don't think it should be done here, we can put a price on the club. Managers can invest if they think a good enough player is available or pass.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Buy a club for 200 mn

The first 2 players you sell fetch you 40 mn each (absolute Goats) = 80 mn

Next 4 players get you 30 mn each. (World class) = 120 mn

You get back all your investment after 6 picks.

After that, each pick costs 20 mn

Moby

Dick
Buy a club for 200 mn

The first 2 players you sell fetch you 40 mn each (absolute Goats) = 80 mn

Next 4 players get you 30 mn each. (World class) = 120 mn

You get back all your investment after 6 picks.

After that, each pick costs 20 mn
Something like that would work. Flat 10% for all players was just too less.

Indnyc

I'll have a think about this.. We were hoping to do something similar with criteria boxes.. I.e. If you purchase a box for Balon D'or then anybody buying from that box gives you a some percentage of the cost of the box and remaining to the bank.. Just couldn't decide on prices

Indnyc

I've not had a chance to work on the board today.. Does everyone prefer Clubs on the board instead of criteria? I'll make changes tomorrow

32 Clubs or are we doing Club + Country?

Indnyc

Some initial rules

1) At start everyone gets 200m. Cost for picking a player from each box is mentioned in brackets. There will be a total of 14 roll of dice.. You need to pick at least 12 players.. So allowed to skip 2 turns if you don't like the box you are in.. 125m every time you pass start..

2) Chance cards are pre determined scenarios which are available with the Bank/Draft mod.. Will be revealed as a manager lands on it

3) Players are free to be traded/auctioned off.. Bank will buy with 10m loss.. Also Bank will give a loan if required by a manager.. Loans cannot exceed 70m

4) Clubs can be purchased for 200m. Once the club is purchased, the manager gets 1 additional player from the club + half the cost of the player if purchased by a manager + ability to Veto purchases from that club..

I am open to change rule 4 if people have better suggestions

Indnyc

Monopoly Draft
  1. Sjor
  2. Moby
  3. Michaelf
  4. Edgar
  5. 2Mufc0
  6. P-Nut
  7. Zlatan 7
  8. Enigma
  9. Himannv
  10. harms / Joga
  11. Skizzo
  12. Raees
  13. DVG7

Himannv

Excellent work. The ability to veto a sale is a problem I think. Club owners don't have that much power and the ball is normally in the player's/agent's court.

A club owner might decide to just block someone from getting all the players from that club and it becomes a bit unfair. Getting something substantial off the sale should be fine.