Next Draft - Ideas and Discussions

BristolMick

I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable on football as most of you but I've enjoyed reading some of the threads.

Has there ever been one where say its Man United with a formation of your choice and none of the players can have appeared in the same team as the 3-4 players closest to them on the pitch.

https://jobsinfootball.com/files/pictures/soccer_positions.jpeg

A gk in a 442 can't have appeared with the back 4. The right back could have appeared with left centre back and left back but not right centre back, goalkeeper and/or dm, right cm, rm/rw etc..

Himannv

I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable on football as most of you but I've enjoyed reading some of the threads.

Has there ever been one where say its Man United with a formation of your choice and none of the players can have appeared in the same team as the 3-4 players closest to them on the pitch.

A gk in a 442 can't have appeared with the back 4. The right back could have appeared with left centre back and left back but not right centre back, goalkeeper and/or dm, right cm, rm/rw etc..
We haven't had anything like that as far as I know. Interesting idea.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates

We have had a 442 draft before and I think one where you had to play a specific formation. We have also had ones where none of the players on the same side can have played with each other before.

Your suggestion is interesting but would require quite a bit of research.

If you check the OP of this thread it lists all the drafts we have done.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Another simple draft which could be fun and have more lesser used players could be the Brazilian Draft. Only Brazilian players are eligible. The depth is huge there and we'd get players who don't appear that often too.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Another simple draft which could be fun and have more lesser used players could be the Brazilian Draft. Only Brazilian players are eligible. The depth is huge there and we'd get players who don't appear that often too.
was hoping to go with my monopoly draft next :(

Šjor Bepo

I've given up in these drafts.. I don't understand how people vote. I enjoy the drsftimg and prepare to lose.. I think my midfield dominates this and we overwhelm the other team.. but let's see what others think!
Considering this post from NM, shall we try it out that only votes that count are from those that explained it? Its only us in Draft section that vote in games so everyone should be familiar with that rule and considering the number of votes it shouldnt be difficult to keep an eye on....im willing to try it on in the Monopoly Draft.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Considering this post from NM, shall we try it out that only votes that count are from those that explained it? Its only us in Draft section that vote in games so everyone should be familiar with that rule and considering the number of votes it shouldnt be difficult to keep an eye on....im willing to try it on in the Monopoly Draft.
We have done that before. It's a good idea. Don't remember why it wasn't continued.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
It's one of the reasons I've stopped playing as much. The drafting is great fun, but the matches are annoying when it's a close game and you lose to votes from people who haven't commented at all as to their opinions on the game.

Should also help drive conversation on the match as well.

NM

It's one of the reasons I've stopped playing as much. The drafting is great fun, but the matches are annoying when it's a close game and you lose to votes from people who haven't commented at all as to their opinions on the game.

Should also help drive conversation on the match as well.
We have done that before. It's a good idea. Don't remember why it wasn't continued.
IMO people vote for the name rather than the team in a lot of cases now (could be wrong, but that's the way I see it). I see the same people voting for the same people in a few different threads (could be a trick of the mind) since it's the same small group doing things over and over.

As an example, even if @Gio had a shit on a stick team (which isn't possible, he's the draft GOAT imo), i think some folks in the closed group would just give him the benefit of doubt and vote for him anyway. Heck, I'd even be tempted to do it myself. It's just bias from a small group built over time - nothing nefarious, but it's what causes it IMO

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
IMO people vote for the name rather than the team in a lot of cases now (could be wrong, but that's the way I see it). I see the same people voting for the same people in a few different threads (could be a trick of the mind) since it's the same small group doing things over and over.

As an example, even if @Gio had a shit on a stick team (which isn't possible, he's the draft GOAT imo), i think some folks in the closed group would just give him the benefit of doubt and vote for him anyway. Heck, I'd even be tempted to do it myself. It's just bias from a small group built over time - nothing nefarious, but it's what causes it IMO
I think voters have specific preferences that are reflected by specific drafters. For instance my first concern is balance and cohesion rather than for instance the midfield "battle". I think I might overemphasise that on occasions however.

Still requiring a short post explaining the vote will help match thread quality and give feedback to drafters.

Enigma_87

You know who
I think voters have specific preferences that are reflected by specific drafters. For instance my first concern is balance and cohesion rather than for instance the midfield "battle". I think I might overemphasise that on occasions however.

Still requiring a short post explaining the vote will help match thread quality and give feedback to drafters.
I always did it in the past for example but in the past year or so most of the cases I just vote as there is little to no discussion anyways so probably going with the flow.

Defo agree that it's better for the manager as at least you have some feedback to work with and know which areas to improve. Although with experienced drafters you usually know which positions you compromise to begin with.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I think it's just good manners at the end of the day. If you've gone to the effort of drafting a team and it hasn't landed as well as anticipated, then it's only fair to get some feedback. Might also prompt some debate as well.

The other side of it is I can understand why voters might not want to put their reasoning in the thread, for fear of being accosted by some zealot from the forum. "What do you mean you don't rate Remi Moses??!! Did you not see his last-ditch tackle in the 83rd minute of the 1982/83 Milk Cup Third Round tie against Stockport?! :mad:"

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
I did vote for NM in the match thread, but time to sound harsh.

When your first post in a match thread is the below one, 20 hours after the game starts, expecting voters to post an explanation when you didnt make any attempt to debate on the match thread is unreasonable. Like in the good old days when managers did care about debating, more often than not, most of the regular players/voters did post their thoughts and joined the debate even if not as enthusiastically as the managers.

Current system is fine IMO. Need explanations? Induce them through debates and posts about your team's tactics and strengths and the opposition's tactics and weaknesses.

I've given up in these drafts.. I don't understand how people vote. I enjoy the drsftimg and prepare to lose.. I think my midfield dominates this and we overwhelm the other team.. but let's see what others think!

NM

I did vote for NM in the match thread, but time to sound harsh.

When your first post in a match thread is the below one, 20 hours after the game starts, expecting voters to post an explanation when you didnt make any attempt to debate on the match thread is unreasonable. Like in the good old days when managers did care about debating, more often than not, most of the regular players/voters did post their thoughts and joined the debate even if not as enthusiastically as the managers.

Current system is fine IMO. Need explanations? Induce them through debates and posts about your team's tactics and strengths and the opposition's tactics and weaknesses.
No worries on being harsh.. It's a forum :lol:

I had plenty of times where I've posted explanations and had lot of debates. As I saw the same thing happen over and over my effort reduced. Hence the fact that I said I play for the drafting part now. It wa just an observation on the way things went after we made it a closed group / forum by moving off the main pages.

Btw - have to say love your username !

GodShaveTheQueen

No worries on being harsh.. It's a forum :lol:

I had plenty of times where I've posted explanations and had lot of debates. As I saw the same thing happen over and over my effort reduced. Hence the fact that I said I play for the drafting part now. It wa just an observation on the way things went after we made it a closed group / forum by moving off the main pages.

Btw - have to say love your username !
Fair enough.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Trying to gauge interest for this:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I'm really in the mood for a Auction Draft. Probably tactics themed. Managers will have a choice of

- Possession (Pep Barca)
- Catenaccio (classic Series A)
- Open attack/counter attack (United 4-4-2 )

Which they chose at the beginning and have to stick with this tactic all draft.

Last edited:

prolifik

Trying to gauge interest for this:

Defenders would be a stretch but I'd give it a try

Šjor Bepo

from the two id rather play edgars, feck id rather play anything then that from physio

GodShaveTheQueen

Its easy to create a nice pool after an all time draft.

Block everyone picked in the current draft, you get a nice little all time pool.

Block Gaetano Scirea for good measure and you are good to go.

Simple snake draft, no luck, no tactical shenanigans.

Can even make it an auction draft, with no starting price for any players. Start a bid for any player, let him remain active till 24 hours of no bids. And enjoy the bidding wars