Next Draft - Ideas and Discussions

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Always felt my 50s Final side was hard done by. fecking asymmmetryphobiacs :mad:

It isn't perfect, I would tinker a bit with it, but you have to remember we could only take from the spoils of battle so the likelihood of nailing every single player being perfect was pretty low.

Moby

Dick
I would have said this one :

It gave me a lot of enjoyment in discussing about it, researching about it and building it all the way, changing the systems yet remaining a quality team to watch. However...

This one cannot be beaten. It's weird because this one included a couple of sad feckups and that were visible right till the final where I got thrashed by Theon. But those couple of minor flaws aside, I loved every bit of it. Some of my absolute favourites : Gullit, Zico, Scirea, Vidic and Thuram along with some quality players and a style of play I'd implement with pride. It still plays so seamlessly in my head, every single part. If only I hadn't wasted early picks on someone like Hansen (quality player, but this is Redcafe) I maybe had a better chance of winning the final. Or maybe had I listened to Theon and gone for Garrincha and Matthaus when I had the chance and got a few more votes .. nah not a chance Ruud was being benched, the man who embodied the spirit of the whole team!

Edit : Honorable mention for this, surely my best "first round" team and I am still mad that I lost because I was sleeping when people were crying out for me to make a sub! :mad:

Last edited:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I think my World Cup draft team was my best side. Creating a flawless total football team within all those crazy restrcitions was difficult and I didn't expect to get through the first round, let alone make it to the semifinals. And when everyone else just picked superstars like Pele or Ronaldo, I added the last missing pieces to finish the job (but then of course lost).

It was a shame that I had to bench Meazza as an inside left though, then it would have been perfect. But Kempes had to start to fill the minimum 5 Southamerican players rule.

An honourable mention to my Guttmann homage though, all three sides were brilliant and fun to research, especially because of Pedro's help, and the Puskas - Eusebio partnership upfront was beautiful:
Game 1:

Quarterfinal:

Semifinal:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I got Kempes in 5th round as far as I remember, in a World Cup form based draft. :lol:
I think the restrictions played a huge role in it, Post-72 WC winning players were available in abundance, so many looked at the quality pre-72 players or non-winners in the earlier rounds. Still, he was definitely a steal in the 5th round. Didn't help you all that much, but I loved him as an upgrade on Ceulemans for that goalscoring AM behind Cruyff ;).

Moby

Dick
I think the restrictions played a huge role in it, Post-72 WC winning players were available in abundance, so many looked at the quality pre-72 or non-winners in the earlier rounds. Still, he was definitely a steal in the 5th round. Didn't help you all that much, but I loved him as an upgrade on Ceulemans for that goalscoring AM behind Cruyff ;).
True.

Had I gone past Pol I probably had a decent chance of going far. My front three and back four were sorted, only a couple of CMs and I was set.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Had I gone past Pol I probably had a decent chance of going far. My front three and back four were sorted, only a couple of CMs and I was set.
You were the first Garrincha being useless against Maldini victim, right? That was beyond ridiculous throughout the draft and happened in the quarterfinal again, until Maldini-gate happened before the semifinals and he became a right centerback :lol:.

Moby

Dick
You were the first Garrincha being useless against Maldini victim, right? That was beyond ridiculous throughout the draft and happened time and again.
:lol: yes. But I lost mainly because of starting Hidegkuti and pushing back Ballack to CM (cough, cough, a particular German poster on here suggested me to do that... :D ). Still lost by 3 votes against Mardona in a WC draft with a few shouting they would've voted for me had I brought on Stiles earlier. Shame. :(

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
But I lost mainly because of starting Hidegkuti and pushing back Ballack to CM (cough, cough, a particular German poster on here suggested me to do that... :D ).
I love Hidegkuti and rate Ballack in CM higher than most :D. I still think he played an overall better WC in 2006 than in 2002 with great performances against signficantly stronger teams, unless you mainly judge him on scoring game-winning goals against mighty teams like USA and South Korea. And I did vote for you ;).

Moby

Dick
:lol: No regrets buddy. The main reason to go with Hidegkuti was I was up against Maldini and my first pick was Garrincha, which screwed me badly so I needed more fire power.

cnut of a draw tbh. :mad:

Skills

Snitch
Let's have a 14/15 draft. Club performances during this period only.

Edit: After the Champions League final obv.

Annahnomoss

Three teams with Platini in it. :drool: It is hard not to fall in love with your team when you create one of those teams.

Lol @Annahnomoss my favorite team was also the British Irish team, though the one I played Skizzo and MJJ. When I played you I was in transition and scrapped through because of the goofup between you and @antohan :lol:
:lol: I primarily liked my team because of the player quality, never had such a superior player quality in a draft before or after that. Keane-Blanchflower, Matthews-Best with Mortensen being the perfect partner up front and hard to upgrade and then Slater as the player of the year destroyer.

What was the team you ended up with in the end that you liked a lot?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
A 14-15 draft would be interesting, I reckon. Completely different game to arguing about past players.

Another possibility is to do a draft with a, say, 2010-present pool (adding a couple of interesting players who have recently retired – and who could still cut it when their careers drew to an end), and then restrict the managers in one way or another. Criteria, limitations, etc.

Skills

Snitch
We did a 12/13 draft in the newbs and it was pretty good. 1 player per club was the other restriction and I'd make it players who played in the European leagues only for a bit of consistency across seasons.

Annahnomoss

I would have said this one :

:mad:

That team was fantastic. I really loved the Koeman-Guardiola partnership with wingers in the team around Platini which was a nice twist on a Platini team. Not ideal for Platini himself of course, but somehow justified by mixing some dream team threat in there.

Very much a dream team that if it worked would have been more or less the flawless creation.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I was maintaining this before the thread was locked...

Forgotten any? Who won the last few?

Draft I: Retro Fantasy Draft - all players born in 60s (Winner: Polaroid)
Draft II: 70s Fantasy Draft (Winner: Cling Bak)
Draft III: 50s Fantasy Draft (Winner: Brwned)
Draft IV: All -Time Fantasy Draft (Winner: antohan)
Draft V: Champions League Draft (Winner: Gio)
Draft VI: Decades Draft (Winner: Theon)
Draft VII - World Cup Peak Draft (Winner: Annahnomoss)
Draft VIII: Sheep Draft (Winner Gio)
Draft IX: Transfer Muppet Draft (Winner: MJJ)
Draft X: Auction Draft (Winner: Cutch/Annah)
Draft XI: Criteria Draft (Winner: Aldo)
Draft XII: Reality Draft (Winner: antohan)
Draft XIII: Managers Draft (Winner: EAP)
Draft XIV: British Irish Draft (Winner: MJJ)
Draft XV: Second Sheep Draft (Winner: Cutch)
Draft XVI: Euro Draft (Winner: Joga Bonito)
Draft XVII: All Time Auction Draft (Winner: TBC)

Last edited:

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.

Forgotten any? Who won the last few?

Draft XV: Second Sheep Draft (Winner: Cutch)
Draft XVI: Euro Draft (Winner: Joga Bonito)
Draft XVII: All Time Auction Draft (Winner: TBC)
I think there was a modern era draft after the British/Irish one. Theon won.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Not a draft but what would people think to a short competition between the 50s, 60s, 70s and modern players draft winners. We can then "finally" put to bed the highest quality period in football's history

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin

Draft XV: Modern Era Draft (Winner: Theon)
Draft XVI: Second Sheep Draft (Winner: Cutch)
Draft XVII: Euro Draft (Winner: Joga Bonito)
Draft XVIII: All Time Auction Draft (Winner: TBC)

VivaJanuzaj

I still remember my heroic effort against the huge favorites with my brilliant 4-4-2 who lost in the SF by penos or close or something like that.

With the final two upgrades this would've been my final team:

Shame, could've been the best homage to United's 4-4-2 I can imagine.

berbasloth4

Guys I like the idea of the only allowed players from premiership.. maybe use the premiership last season and base it on there form last season.. 20 squads to choose from and it could be fun with people trying to argue for what would normally be a sheep??

MDFC Manager

I still remember my heroic effort against the huge favorites with my brilliant 4-4-2 who lost in the SF by penos or close or something like that.

With the final two upgrades this would've been my final team:

Shame, could've been the best homage to United's 4-4-2 I can imagine.
I really liked that one!

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
premiership 14/15 would be awesome....16 managers so we put one and only criteria, we cant pick anyone from top 4 :)

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Current PL draft is what i crave. Put me on the provisional list, plssss.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
My favorite team for me ever was easily the one in the British draft.
This was the team when I lost:

My perfect team would have been...

..............Law........................
...Brady....Charlton.....Best.........
.........Edwards....Scholes............
Gemmell...Moore...McGrath...Cohen

Oh, that would be something!

antohan

Not a draft but what would people think to a short competition between the 50s, 60s, 70s and modern players draft winners. We can then "finally" put to bed the highest quality period in football's history
3 out of 4 of those managers aren't playing or following drafts any more.

It would be a bit harsh to base it on the final winners anyway as they were far from perfect in some cases (have I mentioned Gary Kelly?) given the different ways upgrades worked. There was even a proviso in the 60s draft "All players born in the 60s except Maradona" :lol:

Off the top of my head, the 60s would shit on any of the others, 50s vs. 70s would be close and modern would just lose all three games IMO.

Would be happy to have a four-way league being able to pick a squad from scratch. No draft, no telling who is playing, just show up and see what each manager picked.

I'll take the 60s, thank you very much :p

antohan

Yeah with Batigol and Crespo it's only a tad less impressive :D
Cracking pair though, I really liked that team. The scoreline wasn't even close though. I'm not exactly sure how, but Cutch won by a wide margin (19-10).

VivaJanuzaj

Cracking pair though, I really liked that team. The scoreline wasn't even close though. I'm not exactly sure how, but Cutch won by a wide margin (19-10).
This was his team: (which was cracking)

And I know it for a fact, Crespo is simply not rated at all in the caf. The duo of him and Batigol was never going to impress the caf, no matter what support they received, and score against Desailly-Passarella-Nesta. Moreoever, it's really hard winning with 4-4-2 against 4-3-3 here :)