Next Man Utd Manager Expected To Be Jose Mourinho Or David Moyes

Moriarty

I also think comparisons would be made - a young scottish manager taking over from Fergie? Big boots to fill and immense pressure.
Yes. Maybe if Moyes had agreed to start as Fergie's nunber two when he was offered the job. we wouldn't be having this conversation. Can't say I blame him for taking the Everton job though. He's done creditable work there considering he's been somewhat restricted in the transfer market.

As for Maureen, be careful what you wish for. Longevity isn't his thing so who knows how long he'd stick around here. I still think Larry White is on the radar and if the Frenchies do well in the run up and during the Euros, we might see him stepping in for the 2012 season.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
I don't think Mourinho would win a couple of leagues at United and feck off. feck off to where? He would have completed all his short to mid run goals by then, only being left with the desire of managing our National Team on his 60's - a less stressful job.

So while he wouldn't stay there forever, it could very well be his longest stint at a club, no reason why he wouldn't want to stay 5-10 years, he loves the Premier League and he has a huge deal of respect for Manchester United. It's obvious it's something he wants to have in his curriculum when he retires.

That said I would also want to ask to you lot, do you expect to find another Alex Ferguson after he retires? Aren't you wishful thinking too much when you want another coach to maintain your success for 20 years? Do these people exist? I have no doubt that a lot of English (and some foreigner ones as well) managers would love to stay at United for life, but would you want that if it meant a Wengerish rate of titles or something like that?

SAF being so unique I don't think you will find anyone to replicate his duality of continuity and success. You will have to go for one of these unless you are darn lucky with the next manager. Hence why I think the argument that Mourinho is no good for United because he will feck off sooner or later doesn't hold much ground, because you for better or worse it's much more likely that you will have to get used to a more frequent change of managers than you're used to. And if this happens, why not go for the best?

SAF could hold two or three years without a title, he earned it. It's very unlikely that the next manager, whoever he is, would be allowed this sort of leniency.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
I am more and more convinced it should be Maureen. He is fecking fantastic.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I would imagine that once Mourinho has achieved his personal objectives at he will want to jump ship from Madrid.

The one thing that would worry him greatly about Madrid is the culture and attitude when it comes to hiring and firing managers meaning he probably cant plan for longevity and legacy. Our reputation on that side would give him those reassurances.

He is a proven winner, even more than SAF was when he arrived. I would personally give him as long as he needed to build his base at our club, yes even the five or so years it took SAF. And I think the club would do too.

If Mourinho cant win things with United, I'd think that would be a fault of the resources given to him rather than his ability to win.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
I don't know why people are worried about longevity. SAF is the exception not the rule. It will be nigh on impossible to find anyone who will be here another 24 years. Usually all around Europe managers go in 3-4 year cycles anyway.

As for the youth players, like Fergie said many times we have a structure now to bring guys through. Its not like SAF personally trains them anymore. We have a fantastic coaching and scouting staff and those guys will still be there when Fergie goes and even after Mourinho goes (provided he comes ofcourse). For example Barca had a ton of managers when the likes of Iniesta etc. were in the youth team. It didn't stop them from coming through.

I look at managers who have the personality to take over SAF and really Mourinho is the only one. He is fantastic. He'll make sure the transition is smooth by bringing success. Any new manager will have question marks. The likes of Moyes etc. have many question marks. With Jose the list of questions is considerably less.

Like I said before I wasn't always convinced but the more I see and hear Mourinho the more I think he'd be perfect for us. I sincerely hope we get him. I am not yet convinced our board would hire him though.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I don't know why people are worried about longevity. SAF is the exception not the rule. It will be nigh on impossible to find anyone who will be here another 24 years. Usually all around Europe managers go in 3-4 year cycles anyway.

As for the youth players, like Fergie said many times we have a structure now to bring guys through. Its not like SAF personally trains them anymore. We have a fantastic coaching and scouting staff and those guys will still be there when Fergie goes and even after Mourinho goes (provided he comes ofcourse). For example Barca had a ton of managers when the likes of Iniesta etc. were in the youth team. It didn't stop them from coming through.

I look at managers who have the personality to take over SAF and really Mourinho is the only one. He is fantastic. He'll make sure the transition is smooth by bringing success. Any new manager will have question marks. The likes of Moyes etc. have many question marks. With Jose the list of questions is considerably less.

Like I said before I wasn't always convinced but the more I see and hear Mourinho the more I think he'd be perfect for us. I sincerely hope we get him. I am not yet convinced our board would hire him though.
That's one point you've got spot on I believe; he has his detractors at Utd despite some support from the playing and coaching staff.

Not sure they'd want the circus that comes with Mourinho

davisjw

It's difficult because of the risk involved. Everyone throws their toys out of the pram with any thought of bouncing out of the top 4 - with Moyes involved there's a big chance for that. Let's face it, our squad isn't a WORLD (specific enough now?) top 5 squad anymore - we're a top 5 club but that's down to the team playing as a unit more than the individuals. Someone like Moyes I don't think could keep this team playing the way we are playing and competing on the European stage.

Jose doesn't do it for me because he'll be gone in a couple years and the tactics he uses are those I don't want here at this club.

O'Neil used to be one of my favorites but he's since dropped out. Blanc is well enough but I think he'll be at the France post for some time now.

Ole is another that if we have to take a gamble, I'd toss him in the mix. Think he's a great man manager, he's done very well with the youth, and he's not egotistical enough to work without the help of Fergie. I feel even when Fergie walks away, he'll never properly walk away and we need someone to listen to him during the transition period. You don't get that feeling with Jose who'll want to make everything his way off the bat.

Also I can't see Jose keeping the likes of O'Shea and Park around, players who we keep around as useful but under Jose he wants everyone from the bench players to the starters to be World Class - look at what he has had to work with the last three teams. Don't think he has time for youth or loyalty to players we've kept around as useful utility players (O'Shea, Brown, etc).

Devils Advocate

It's difficult because of the risk involved. Everyone throws their toys out of the pram with any thought of bouncing out of the top 4 - with Moyes involved there's a big chance for that. Let's face it, our squad isn't a top 5 squad anymore - we're a top 5 club but that's down to the team playing as a unity than the individuals. Someone like Moyes I don't think could keep this team playing the way we are playing.

Jose doesn't do it for me because he'll be gone in a couple years and the tactics he uses are those I don't want here at this club.

O'Neil used to be one of my favorites but he's since dropped out. Blanc is well enough but I think he'll be at the France post for some time now.

Ole is another that if we have to take a gamble, I'd toss him in the mix. Think he's a great man manager, he's done very well with the youth, and he's not egotistical enough to work without the help of Fergie. I feel even when Fergie walks away, he'll never properly walk away and we need someone to listen to him during the transition period. You don't get that feeling with Jose.

Also I can't see Jose keeping the likes of O'Shea and Park around, players who we keep around as useful but under Jose he wants everyone from the bench players to the startes to be World Class. Don't think he has time for youth or loyalty to dedicated players.
rubbish!

our midfield needs a bit of tweaking but do you honestly believe our defence and attack don't stand up to spurs, arsenal or city?

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
I am perplexed about people wanting Moyes..first and foremost Fergies replacement would need to be vastly experienced and had some measured success in the champions league.

Secondly Moyes brand of football is decidedly anti United and does not embrace the playing traditions established by Busby and then continued on under Ferguson.

I think a lot of people get caught up in the supposed similarities in backgrounds and personalities of both Fergie and Moyes both being Scots and hardnosed stubborn men. Im sorry but that is not enough. I do admire Moyes ability to make Everton competitive with what he has to work with but I do believe he is at his zenith in that job he is not a top European team manager.

As much as people dont like it Mourinho does tick all the boxes..my only reservation with Jose is he doesn't tend to stick around anywhere for too long and having been spoiled with a long term manager all this time that would be hard for people to deal with imo.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Can somebody who is Pro-Moyes please explain to me why on earth they think he could be the next United manager?

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Can somebody who is Pro-Moyes please explain to me why on earth they think he could be the next United manager?
It is an odd choice. Apart from him being a hot tempered Scottish man I don't see the similarities at all. Ok its impossible for him to win the Premier League with Everton but he is yet to win anything. You'd think they win a cup at least. His tactics in the biggest game of his career i.e the FA cup final were terrible. His teams suffer every year from poor starts, a problem he is yet to fix.

Moyes has done fantastic for Everton but the expectations are considerably lower there. The expectations at United are far far greater. He has yet to do anything to suggest he'd live up to those expectations.

Laphroaig

Despite Wayne Rooney signing a new contract and Man Utd's on field performances also improving recently, it still looks as though Sir Alex Ferguson still only has a season or two left. That raises the big question, who will be the Next Man Utd Manager?

It will seem weird when Man Utd do finally need a new manager, whilst most clubs look for a new manager every season or two these days, it was actually 1986 when the Man Utd board appointed their most recent manager. It will take a brave man to step into Fergie?s shoes and it looks as though the man for the job could be Jose Mourinho.

Not many would have predicted it when the former Porto boss ran down the line at Old Trafford to celebrate knocking Man Utd out of the Champions League in 2004 but he is the favourite according to Next Man Utd Manager Betting Odds. The bookies agree he is a favourite but disagree on how certain he is, his current odds to replace Ferguson range from 11/8 to 7/2. If Ferguson leaves at the end of next season that gives Mourinho two years at Real Madrid and would fit in nicely for a return to the Premiership, if Ferguson was to leave at the end of this season then Man Utd would surely have to look elsewhere.

The most likely domestic appointments appear to be David Moyes and Martin O?Neill. Moyes has done a great job over the years at Everton but he may feel he has taken the Toffees as far as he can without significant investment in the squad, he deserves a job like this although all Man Utd fans may not be thrilled by the appointment. Martin O?Neill was favourite until about a year ago but he never quite delivered at Aston Villa and he is another who would divide opinion, the bookies think David Moyes is the more likely of the two.

There are of course a whole host of former players who are also being linked, France manager Laurent Blanc is the fourth favourite with the bookies, ahead of Mark Hughes who may have blotted his copybook by managing Man City. Other involved in the betting include Steve Bruce, Paul Ince, Gary Neville and Eric Cantona! Click here for more premiership tips
Based on what?!

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Jose is the man for the job. Where would he go after United? Portugal eventually but it's not something he would do very quickly. He's talked about wanting the United job forever and he respects the club as much as any other manager. His football at Real has been awesome so far this season so it's difficult to criticize his coaching as much anymore.

How much do the English press want this to happen? I imagine most football fans in general would like him back in England.

RedRover

Yes. Maybe if Moyes had agreed to start as Fergie's nunber two when he was offered the job. we wouldn't be having this conversation. Can't say I blame him for taking the Everton job though. He's done creditable work there considering he's been somewhat restricted in the transfer market.

As for Maureen, be careful what you wish for. Longevity isn't his thing so who knows how long he'd stick around here. I still think Larry White is on the radar and if the Frenchies do well in the run up and during the Euros, we might see him stepping in for the 2012 season.
I don't agree with this to be honest. In the past he's been vocal about his respect for United, and if the media are to be believed sees United as his greatest challenge.

He has said time and again he'll come back to England, and is often talking about how his style of management is suited to the English game.

So the question is, where else would he go? Can you see him leaving United to go to another English Club, which would arguably be a step down. He hated the press in Italy (not to mention the fact that the leage is no where near as high quality as it once was). He's currently in charge at one of the big two in Spain, and even if we ignore Barca's dislike for him he's not likely to go to the other one.

The fact is, once he's done with Madrid he's managed (and probably been succesful) in all of the top leagues. He may wish to manage internationally but can you see him swapping day to day management to take over the Portugal job while he's still young? I can't.

He seems to want the job and has the personality and talent to suceed Fergie, being one of the very few that does.

Blanc did well with Bordeax for a season or two but he's hardly experienced in top level football management. The French job will probably make or break him but reagrdless of any success the club game at one of the biggest clubs in the world is very different. Infact, if he hadn't player for United I doubt anyone would even suggest he's in the frame.

Laphroaig

He keeps saying he'll manage United as long as his health allows it. I don't think we've got any reason to predict that his health will let him down within a year or two. It may happen, but it's silly to suggest we have good reason to assume he'll onlly do a season after this one.

WireRed

Fergie always said he wouldn't manage past 70.
That means jack, if we were to, horror of all horrors, go another season without winning CL or PL, do you honestly think SAF would bow out on such a relative low? No, the man said the same thing himself.

The comment you're referring to also came a day or two after Moscow, not the best time to really judge a few comments on their merit.

If we are successful though, then maybe he will retire this/next season.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I don't know if it's a question of can Mourinho stay for more than three years, I think it's a question of if he's good enough.

Fergie always talks about a three year cycle of players. Mourinho has never been at a club over that time. Has he got the ability to continually make great squads, or is he just the best at getting the best out of what he has.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Why is everyone jumping on the Moyes bandwagon? Just because Fergie might have suggested him?

decorativeed

Some would say Fergie has similar issues tactically. Thats why you require good staff.

Just out of interest do you have many examples of when or how Moys has fallen down when tactics are concerned? And I would never class Everton as overly negative either. They play it safe when they have to, why shouldnt they?
Nothing specifically sticks in mind. I watch most Everton games though as my wife is an Evertonian. I see a lot of them live and on TV.

Moyes without fail will wait until 70 minutes to make a substitution for example, regardless of what is happening on the pitch. He'll be chasing a goal and take a striker off for a third right-back. They often seem to settle on a 1-0 lead (much like us at the moment) and inevitably are not good enough to hold onto it (ditto). He fields players constantly out of position, all over the pitch, regardless of the availability of other players who actually play in that position. He plays in an unattractive manner specifically to accomodate a one-trick-pony player (Cahill) who offers very little bar the knack of getting goals from set pieces. Everton very rarely play attractive attacking football and are content to spend large portions of games playing hoofball. Moyes has been in charge for enough time to stop this and he surely has the players to do so now, but he has still not addressed any of these faults.

RedRover

That means jack, if we were to, horror of all horrors, go another season without winning CL or PL, do you honestly think SAF would bow out on such a relative low? No, the man said the same thing himself.

The comment you're referring to also came a day or two after Moscow, not the best time to really judge a few comments on their merit.

If we are successful though, then maybe he will retire this/next season.
I think he will do whats best for the club.

If Mourinho is the choice, and becomes available in the next year or two he may step aside.

Laphroaig

Moyes without fail will wait until 70 minutes to make a substitution for example, regardless of what is happening on the pitch.
Not to nitpick, but he's actually made substitutions earlier than that the last 5 of 6 games (I didn't bother to look further). 62 seems to be his lucky number.

SATA

IF he comes eventually, i wouldn't like the inevitable circus when we go to Chelsea, absolutely wouldn't. All of the focus will be on him instead of the match and players.

WireRed

IF he comes eventually, i wouldn't like the inevitable circus when we go to Chelsea, absolutely wouldn't. All of the focus will be on him instead of the match and players.
It'd be the same every week not just against Chelsea.

If he came we'd become "Jose Mourinho's United" and any CL or PL triumphs would be Jose Mourinho's victories, not the team's or the club's.

phelans shorts

I don't know if it's a question of can Mourinho stay for more than three years, I think it's a question of if he's good enough.

Fergie always talks about a three year cycle of players. Mourinho has never been at a club over that time. Has he got the ability to continually make great squads, or is he just the best at getting the best out of what he has.
Here you go again "is he good enough?" of course he is, he's likely to go down as one of the top 2/3 managers of all time, of course he's good enough.

cause niall is the overlord of Redcafe and as such can do pretty much whatever he wants:D
It's because this is a blog.

HTH.

Aporkalypse

Whoever follows Fergie is going to have to put up with ridiculous pressure, if anything Mourinho thrives on it and the first time he took us to Stamford Bridge would be like some kind of Super Christmas for him.

maldini

So, who will eventually decide on who the next manager will be? The Glazers?

beardsleybob

Not unless he's changed his mind.
I think he meant metaphorically. I doubt SAF will physically shadow the next manager, but the expectations will be a heavy load on his successor. The man we need should have no problem dealing with that. He needs to have experienced the types of things that SAF has (CL and League wins, troublesome players, really heavy media attention etc..)

it depends, the board may decide to extend the policy of signing young unproven players and turning them into world class players, to the managers role. Of course, who then nurtures them? Unless they are being nurtured as we speak. The one stand out for me is Ole. His character is totally different to SAFs though, more introvert. But he would have the respect of the players.
Well the fact is that the youth and subsequently the reserve coaching squad have a great impact on those youth players. Its not solely SAF that nurtures them at all. Sure, he gives them the chance and handles their breakthrough properly but its not his unique gift. Other managers can do the same but dont often get the high standard of youth talent that we do.

If Mourinho came, kept the trophies rolling in for a few years, that'd remove the pressure of succeeding SAF for the next man in line.
Spot on, the hype surrounding SAF's successor has been building for years now. Not many candidates could handle that. Mourinho would relish the pressure, and make it look simple.

Dude that source is from Tribal Football. I wouldnt endorse that if i was paid.

He is a proven winner, even more than SAF was when he arrived. I would personally give him as long as he needed to build his base at our club, yes even the five or so years it took SAF. And I think the club would do too

If Mourinho cant win things with United, I'd think that would be a fault of the resources given to him rather than his ability to win.
Hopefully the board wont make any knee jerk decisions should things not go smoothly when the time comes to replace SAF.

And i think Mourinho would be at fault, hes proven that with the right resources he can be successful, but we also need a man that can do well with a lower budget. Since we have such a large debt its important to not go splurging cash. The word "value" comes to mind :p

Not sure they'd want the circus that comes with Mourinho
Any publicity is good publicity I guess

I reckon Mourinho will come to United and finally settle down, hes had his Continental adventures and proven how talented he is. Its hardly legendary status though is it? To achieve that he would have to stick with one team and consistently deliver success to them. Everyone knows the kind of support this club serves its staff, he will get a big opportunity here(should he actually join). He could emulate SAF for all we know, maybe not entirely but he very well could be mentioned in the same breath in years to come.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I don't understand why this is constantly debated. If Mourinho is available when Sir Alex decides to step down, he is the ONLY choice, not Blanc, not Moyes and certainly not O'Neill.

Mourinho is one of those once in a generation managers (like Sir Alex) who succeeds in everything he does.