Next Man Utd Manager Expected To Be Jose Mourinho Or David Moyes

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
How many points did Mourinho throw away last year after being top of Serie A by about 10 points at Christmas?

Edit: Don't mean to be a dick, I genuinely know it's a few, not sure how much.
They won the league by two points in the end. But they had a lot more games. We actually performed better in the league last season (85) than Inter did (82), but history only remembers the winners.

But I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. Mourinho won the treble with Inter, something they'd never done before. They lost quite a big lead but they still finished top. Blanc ended up taking Bordeux to 6th.

Let's see how he does at France.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I don't understand why Moyes keeps getting mentioned on these shortlists...other than being Scottish and playing into the fantasies that he may become another Fergie, despite not really having displayed a Fergie-esque winning record so far.
Its a million times harder to win anything on a shoe string budget these days than it was in Fergies Aberdeen days to be fair. So feats like that probably will not be seen again. So it is kindve hard to judge David Moyes.

But I think he looks to have done a terrific job at Preston and Everton

Bryan_Munich

Aka RichieRich12
Mourinho is the only option as far as I'm concerned.

The manager we have after Ferguson will in many ways be the most important ever. He'll have to cope with City and Chelsea spending huge, us being heavily in debt, enormous pressure from fans, Ferguson himself in the shadows and Giggs, Scholes, Neville, Ferdinand and VDS all leaving in a short period of time.

IMO we can not afford to gamble, and Mourinho is the only real winner out there. Questions are being asked about his youth policy, his loyalty over time and his way of football. IMO he will relish the opportunity to prove all the doubters wrong in these questions and I do think he can adapt.

I personally can't for the life of me see why anyone would choose Moyes over Mourinho to be fair.
Ferguson says that when he does retire, he will make a clean break from Old Trafford. "The field will be left clear [for my successor]," he says. "People say that if you're about the place you'd be in the road. God, when you've done 21 years, or 22, 23 years [which he will have completed in November 2009], you need a rest."
Not unless he's changed his mind.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
It's a very big ask but I think our next manager has to be someone truly exceptional. If you look what Fergie achieved with Aberdeen I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Moyes to achieve something similarly remarkable at Everton.

I'm not Mourinho's biggest fan but he has a record of fairly outstanding achievements as a manager. If Moyes wants to be considered alongside him it's time for him to prove he can also achieve something most people would think is un-achievable.
I think what Moyes has done at Everton in the time he's been there, when you condiser how different football is now, is as remarkable as what Fergie did at Aberdeen.

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
Not this bollocks again, can't we just be glad that we've got the best manager in world football and let him get on with it until he feels he can't go on any longer? When that day comes (hopefully by that time I'll have grey pubes) I'll accept whoever Sir Alex and Sir Bobby recommend as the next manager, even if it's the conceited one.

sparky

it depends, the board may decide to extend the policy of signing young unproven players and turning them into world class players, to the managers role. Of course, who then nurtures them? Unless they are being nurtured as we speak. The one stand out for me is Ole. His character is totally different to SAFs though, more introvert. But he would have the respect of the players.

I'm always right

Its a million times harder to win anything on a shoe string budget these days than it was in Fergies Aberdeen days to be fair. So feats like that probably will not be seen again. So it is kindve hard to judge David Moyes.

But I think he looks to have done a terrific job at Preston and Everton
Short memory? Maureen won the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE with FC PORTO.

Would never want him in a million years but going on achievements I'd say Redknapp should be ahead of Moyes.

WireRed

it depends, the board may decide to extend the policy of signing young unproven players and turning them into world class players, to the managers role. Of course, who then nurtures them? Unless they are being nurtured as we speak. The one stand out for me is Ole. His character is totally different to SAFs though, more introvert. But he would have the respect of the players.
Letting a managerial rookie like Ole take over the reigns of the greatest manager ever, after the quarter of a century of service and success he's given us, would be suicidal IMO.

I personally would like to see Mourinho as SAF's successor, I'm not the biggest fan of his philosophy on the game or his lack of longevity at a football club, but wherever he goes, he wins. 3-5 years of continued success and the removal of the "SAF's successor" millstone would be worth it IMO.

As I've said in many different threads on the topic though, I can't see David Gill and Bobby Charlton going down the Mourinho route. I unlike some others would understand why. The people who think it's "inevitable", "nailed on" and such are in for disappointment IMO.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
:D

Good point.
You have an annoying habit of ignoring posts which expose you as talking balls.

I'll post it again so.

Moyes will never work with Rooney again.

Fact.
Fact?

Yet Moyes, whose emergence as a candidate to succeed Ferguson when he retires at United could lead to him managing Rooney again, insists that any enmity between the two has evaporated. Moyes said: "Wayne phoned me a year ago to apologise for his book and to say that the things he'd put in it were wrong and that he had made a mistake.

"I had to give him a lot of credit for that. For me, it showed his maturity and he thanked us for the help that had been given to him at Everton.
"The court case had been won anyway, so it was over as far as I was concerned, but I said to him: 'No problem, that's fine. It just shows the maturity and where you're coming to.'

"I got the impression it was something Wayne wanted to do, rather than someone suggesting it to him. It came across that he wanted to make the call and set things straight between us and I appreciated that. The maturity has come from the people around him as well, but also from the boy.

"Now he is the one who is sorting out the young players at United. Anyone who's stepping out of line, not doing it right, he's the one who's looking after them. Everybody gets a bit older and wiser." Moyes, who admits that Rooney's emergence came "three or four years too early" for Everton, has been credited with setting the player on the road to stardom and the position he now holds at United. The Scot predicts Rooney will become the best in the world in his late twenties, but he insists that his development is down the player more than anybody else.

Moyes said: "Nobody can take credit for Wayne's development. He is the last of the street players that used to be the rage when you go back to all the greats. "You can see that in his physique, in his development, in his all-round football play. He had the potential to be a good player when he was here, but he's now turned into that good player and he is getting better and better.
"He could be one of the best in the world. I don't think that's the situation just now, but I think he's very close because he's beginning to show a maturity to his game, as a player and a person.

"I would welcome him back to Everton. We move on and, maybe some day, maybe at the end of Wayne's career, he might want to come back to play for Everton again. Who knows?

TheReligion

Abusive
I think what Moyes has done at Everton in the time he's been there, when you condiser how different football is now, is as remarkable as what Fergie did at Aberdeen.
Can't agree with that mate, Fergie brought trophies to Aberdeen and made them the team to beat in Scotland. A huge thing to do when you consider the power of Celtic and Rangers.

Red_Aaron

i don think there's any doubt about it really.mourinho has made it pretty clear he'd want the job and if you were the owner looking for a new manager you go for the one with the very best track record you could get and that'll be him.

not totally sure how i feel about it mind, never completly warmed to him as a character but the guys a serious winner you cant doubt his results.

I'd be absolutely amazed if he didnt get the job after fergie

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Jose for me. It's about time we took something from Madrid and I think it would make things interesting. However Sir Alex is good for a good few years yet hopefully.

WireRed

Can't agree with that mate, Fergie brought trophies to Aberdeen and made them the team to beat in Scotland. A huge thing to do when you consider the power of Celtic and Rangers.
I'm not disagreeing with your POV but do you not think Moyes's relative success at Everton, on an Aldi budget compared to most other manager's with Waitrose and Harrod's budgets, makes him worthy of consideration?

Like I've said, I'd reluctantly go for Mourinho but Moyes is a legitimate contender for the job, his achievements and team building at Everton deserve admiration rather than the ridicule of the Jose fanbois.

Ixion

I think Moyes has done very well at Everton, at most they could have come closer to finishing in the top 4 more than once, but its very difficult given his resources. If Rooney had stayed at Everton Moyes might have been able to take them further.

TheReligion

Abusive
I'm not disagreeing with your POV but do you not think Moyes's relative success at Everton, on an Aldi budget compared to most other manager's with Waitrose and Harrod's budgets, makes him worthy of consideration?

Like I've said, I'd reluctantly go for Mourinho but Moyes is a legitimate contender for the job, his achievements and team building at Everton deserve admiration rather than the ridicule of the Jose fanbois.
What about Fergie's budget at Aberdeen?

I don't think Moyes has been a patch on Fergie from that period.

Moyes has done well, but I am more interested in tactics than budgets to be fair.

sparky

Letting a managerial rookie like Ole take over the reigns of the greatest manager ever, after the quarter of a century of service and success he's given us, would be suicidal IMO.

I personally would like to see Mourinho as SAF's successor, I'm not the biggest fan of his philosophy on the game or his lack of longevity at a football club, but wherever he goes, he wins. 3-5 years of continued success and the removal of the "SAF's successor" millstone would be worth it IMO.

As I've said in many different threads on the topic though, I can't see David Gill and Bobby Charlton going down the Mourinho route. I unlike some others would understand why. The people who think it's "inevitable", "nailed on" and such are in for disappointment IMO.
You make it sound like it would be an insult to him. At least thats how it sounds, I am probably wrong. I see your point but if SAF did not have any faith in him he would not have put him in charge of the reserves.
I am saying that the club may prefer to go inhouse. They would probably ask SAFs opinion and we know that SAF has the history of the club at his heart. That for me, stops Maureen being a contender. He may say he understands the club but I doubt he would ever understand. Especially as his first club is really Chelsea/Porto.
CQ I hope does not get offered the role. He is a very good assistant, but a crap manager. Anyone who thinks Cantona should be the next manager, clearly never saw Mr. Prunier in action. Though a double act of Ole and Cantona would be amusing I am sure!! Ole picks the players, Eric does the team talks!!

WireRed

What about Fergie's budget at Aberdeen?

I don't think Moyes has been a patch on Fergie from that period.

Moyes has done well, but I am more interested in tactics than budgets to be fair.
I'm not comparing him to SAF at all, that was someone else. SAF's record at Aberdeen far exceeds Moyes' at Everton.

The question I posed was whether Moyes deserved consideration for the United post once SAF packs in? I for one, think he does.

As for tactics, Moyes does seem very iron-clad in his use of the 4-5-1, but I reckon that's due to the player's at his disposal. I'd like to see Moyes given a crack at a top, well financed club and then judge his tactical nous. Right now he can only work with the group he's got, a group that is suited to 4-5-1.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Moyes is an excellent manager, he's done a great job at Everton but personally I dont think he will replace Fergie for the simple reason that he has zero experience of managing in Europe.

WireRed

You make it sound like it would be an insult to him. At least thats how it sounds, I am probably wrong. I see your point but if SAF did not have any faith in him he would not have put him in charge of the reserves.
I am saying that the club may prefer to go inhouse. They would probably ask SAFs opinion and we know that SAF has the history of the club at his heart. That for me, stops Maureen being a contender. He may say he understands the club but I doubt he would ever understand. Especially as his first club is really Chelsea/Porto.
CQ I hope does not get offered the role. He is a very good assistant, but a crap manager. Anyone who thinks Cantona should be the next manager, clearly never saw Mr. Prunier in action. Though a double act of Ole and Cantona would be amusing I am sure!! Ole picks the players, Eric does the team talks!!
Not at all, just that IMO we'll need an experienced manager, a manager who'd have the ego and belief in his own ability to succeed SAF, and a proven winner. Mourinho is probably the only one out there who fits that bill.

It will be a surreal experience for everybody in football to see someone else in Fergie's dugout, especially for those such as myself who know nothing other than United being managed by Fergie. It will be a huge hole to fill and we'll be in a period of transition post-SAF no matter who comes in, if we get the wrong man though, that transition could very well turn into severe decline.

If Mourinho came, kept the trophies rolling in for a few years, that'd remove the pressure of succeeding SAF for the next man in line.

decorativeed

Moyes everytime for me.
No thanks. People seem totally blind to his tactical failings. I like him as a person and he seems to treat his players in a similar manner to SAF, does well with the youth players too, but he is so negative on the pitch at times it beggars belief.

RedRover

Blanc for me.

The biggest problem for Mourinho is that he's never stayed at one club long enough. he might do it at United, but is he good enough.

After he failed in his last year at Chelsea, the squad went through a period of being pretty shite. It took another three managers to win the league with all that money spent, and all the signings he made. At Inter he left Rafa an aging side after the team spent millions.
Are you for real?

His "failure" of a Chelsea side got the CL that year and finished just behind United in the league - despite tehe fact that they had Avram "relegation zone" Grant in charge. For the record the current Chelsea team has hardly any additions from Mourinho's and play an almost identical system based around Drogba - another Jose masterstroke.

At Inter - where he inherited an ageing squad, he turned them from average European side to Eurpoean Champions, knocking out the imperious Barcalona on the way. Oh - and signed Milito and Eto'o while still banking a fortune for Ibrahimovic. They only look dodgy now beacuse Rafa is in charge - they wouldn't have got anywhere near teh CL final last year without Jose's tactical nouse.

Your post has to be one of the most uninformed I've ever read on here and that really is saying something.

Devil may care

Mourinho for me, he has the charisma and personality to take over from Fergie and he has the record to boot, not to mention that he couldn't make it much clearer that he wants the job.

He's proven the "boring" tag is nonsense with the way his Real Madrid team have played and I have no doubt he would continue our attacking philosophy if he was made manager here.

The only real question is how long would he stay? I think once he completes his mission in Madrid to win the 3 main European leagues he can set his next task to creating an empire of his own and no better place than here.

Of the other choices such as Moyes and Blanc I am not sold but wouldn't be agaisnt either, I just don't want Martin O'Neil. I'd rule out Guardiola as well as I think he will remain at Barca for quite some time.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
No thanks. People seem totally blind to his tactical failings. I like him as a person and he seems to treat his players in a similar manner to SAF, does well with the youth players too, but he is so negative on the pitch at times it beggars belief.
Some would say Fergie has similar issues tactically. Thats why you require good staff.

Just out of interest do you have many examples of when or how Moys has fallen down when tactics are concerned? And I would never class Everton as overly negative either. They play it safe when they have to, why shouldnt they?

Untied

I don't understand why Moyes keeps getting mentioned on these shortlists...other than being Scottish and playing into the fantasies that he may become another Fergie, despite not really having displayed a Fergie-esque winning record so far.
I agree. It's probably because for a long time he has been a potentially top class manager. He is stuck in an awkward position where to improve, he needs to go to a bigger club, with a bigger budget and CL football. But those bigger clubs don't want to take a chance on him as he doesn't have the experience at that level.

Has to be Mourinho for me. Especially given his regular flirting with us at the moment. Getting his application in early I guess.

sparky

Not at all, just that IMO we'll need an experienced manager, a manager who'd have the ego and belief in his own ability to succeed SAF, and a proven winner. Mourinho is probably the only one out there who fits that bill.

It will be a surreal experience for everybody in football to see someone else in Fergie's dugout, especially for those such as myself who know nothing other than United being managed by Fergie. It will be a huge hole to fill and we'll be in a period of transition post-SAF no matter who comes in, if we get the wrong man though, that transition could very well turn into severe decline.

If Mourinho came, kept the trophies rolling in for a few years, that'd remove the pressure of succeeding SAF for the next man in line.
Yeah, I thinks its just that I have a big dislike of Maureen from his time at Porto and Chelsea. Of course its great to win trophies but its also important to play the United way. As long as we dont get a bling bling man like Ron Atkinson!! Did get us 2 FA cups though. Replacing Busby was hard, but I hope that the club are aware of that and not to repeat the mistakes made then this time round. Don't fancy relegation much.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I agree. It's probably because for a long time he has been a potentially top class manager. He is stuck in an awkward position where to improve, he needs to go to a bigger club, with a bigger budget and CL football. But those bigger clubs don't want to take a chance on him as he doesn't have the experience at that level.

Has to be Mourinho for me. Especially given his regular flirting with us at the moment. Getting his application in early I guess.
I dont think many are saying Moyes over Jose. Its just that the chances are he will not be available. so who then? And thats why Moyes seems possibly a good option.

I cant understand why everyone thinks it is so likely that we will get Mourinho. How long is his contract in Madrid? If he is doing well that will be extended. Perhaps Madrid will go against history and not sack their manager and there is no way we could afford his get-out claus if we tried to aquire his services. (that is even if he wanted to leave)

phelans shorts

I dont think may are saying Moyes over Jose. Its just that the chances are he will not be available. so who then? And thats why Moyes seems possibly a good option.

I cant understand why everyone thinks it is so likely that we will get Mourinho. How long is his contract in Madrid? If he is doing well that will be extended. Perhaps Madrid will go agaisnt history and not sack their manager and there is no way we could afford his get out claus if we tried to aquire his services. (that is even if he wanted to leave)
He has a lower buyout clause than you would think, he negotiated it down quite conveniently.

RedRover

I dont think many are saying Moyes over Jose. Its just that the chances are he will not be available. so who then? And thats why Moyes seems possibly a good option.

I cant understand why everyone thinks it is so likely that we will get Mourinho. How long is his contract in Madrid? If he is doing well that will be extended. Perhaps Madrid will go against history and not sack their manager and there is no way we could afford his get-out claus if we tried to aquire his services. (that is even if he wanted to leave)
Mourinho has seemingly made it clear he won't be in Madrid long term if the interviews I've read are reliable. Besides, if he decides to walk there's little they can do to stop him. I also guess he has some kind of gentlemans agreement in place if a certain job becomes available.

Moyes has no experience in managing a big club. I've said it before - doing well with no money against the odds is not the same as producing week in week out when you're expected to win nearly every week.

I also think comparisons would be made - a young scottish manager taking over from Fergie? Big boots to fill and immense pressure.