Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dante

Average bang
If you want Ten Hag, what's the plan?

Keep Ole till the summer? Not viable, imo.

Appoint a 6 month long caretaker who lacks the desire to be here for longer than that? There's little point in hiring a manager who doesn't have any ambition.

Appoint a permanent manager on a long contract and then sack him with a big payoff in May without telling him that was the plan all along? Nobody's going to be silly enough to sign that contract unless they have assurances.

And what happens if the next manager has an amazing run of form like Ole did and everybody demands that we keep him in the hotseat for the long term? Then all the plans for Ten Hag will have to be thrown in the bin.

There's no easy way out of this conundrum. Sacking Ole is the easy part. Replacing him intelligently is why we haven't done it yet.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Maybe we need to add Fletcher to the poll?
#fletcherout

WPMUFC

What clue would you give them, then?

If you sack a manager, you have to appoint a replacement at the same time. And if the replacement isn't immediately available, you have to appoint a caretaker who's going to eventually be replaced by the replacement.

It's all a part of the same process. You can't simply want to do the first part without also planning for the second and third parts.
I don't think they want potter, hell i'd imagine Joel is having to google names because he doesn't follow football. I'm saying that they want a "big name" and because there is no process in place to get a "big name" the club is just going to scramble for anything. Hence, I think Potter gets it now, not off any desire to actual have him as a manager, but because he's cheap, will not cause the board issues and easily replaceable.

I'm saying they have no clue whom they want outside a "big name" so it's going to be throwing darts at pictures of people.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Good thing Woodward and the Glazers delayed the inevitable for a month after Liverpool and we didn't miss out on the best available manager.

Get Ten Hag and also VDS to replace Ed. Enrique is not bad choice though.
This is the way, but the Glazers will never hire a director who isn't their man. Edwin would be a huge upgrade over Woodward and Arnold.

Oranges038

A damn good manager as well. He has won trophies virtually everywhere he has managed, and will command plenty of respect as well. My first choice.
I wouldn't let him in the gate.

Putting this lad here again though.

Marcello Gallardo. Won nearly everything possible with River Plate.

And he's out of contract in a month.

KeanoMagicHat

I think the problem with a lot of United fans is they’ve a 3/10 manager and then turn their nose up at 6 or 7/10 managers in search of a 10. When the 7/10 manager will more than do.

Pretty much every manager linked with United is much better than Ole. They will all be better. Zidane, Rodgers, Poch, Ten Hag, Potter etc…

RedAlert27

I honestly think whoever the next manager is already screwed with these set of players. We don't have the quality or spine in the team to even compete for any trophy, even if we bring in the world's best manager. Ole's tactics and decision making was terrible yes but when will the players take responsibility? I have a feeling in 2 years time we'll be in the exact same position saying Zidane out or whoever the hell takes over.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Sack all the coaches. Fletcher as interim for more than the CL game will be massively worrying and won't give me much hope for the rest of the season.

Oranges038

You honestly think our board have ever heard of him? I think he’s a very interesting option personally.
Nope.

Barca wanted him, but he said he would see out his contract.

It's up in a month.

He's a winner, his record in South America is remarkable.

Pscholes18

I dont want Zidane if he doesnt really want to come and it just going to do ti for the money. The board have to be smart about this. Interim for the rest of the seaason and go after TH.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil

Appoint a 6 month long caretaker who lacks the desire to be here for longer than that? There's little point in hiring a manager who doesn't have any ambition.

Appoint a permanent manager on a long contract and then sack him with a big payoff in May without telling him that was the plan all along? Nobody's going to be silly enough to sign that contract unless they have assurances.

And what happens if the next manager has an amazing run of form like Ole did and everybody demands that we keep him in the hotseat for the long term? Then all the plans for Ten Hag will have to be thrown in the bin.

There's no easy way out of this conundrum. Sacking Ole is the easy part. Replacing him intelligently is why we haven't done it yet.
The only way Zidane really makes sense is as an interim manager until the summer. It's widely reported he wants the France job after the World Cup next year. It would potentially give him the opportunity to demonstrate his ability without much risk if things go poorly. The situation at United right now is disastrous so he can't be penalized too much if he didn't come in and win a trophy.

Pscholes18

Crazy fecking day. Feel bad for Ole.....hope another smaller club hires him on. Would like to see him succeed somewhere.

Mcking

Conte was the one, now there are no obvious choices. Not a fan of Zidane, I could see him flopping real hard, and I don't want the likes of Rodgers and Potter who clearly aren't the caliber of managers we should be going for.

I'd appoint a caretaker now and wait for the summer, or for another manager of Conte's caliber to become available again.

hp88

This is the way, but the Glazers will never hire a director who isn't their man. Edwin would be a huge upgrade over Woodward and Arnold.
I don't think this is the case, they know from the Fergie / Gill times that having a proper setup will bring you success and cash, Woodward is just too shite at his job to make this happen though.

WPMUFC

They have no candidate lined up. If people think Fletch is only there for mid-week and chelsea you're having a laugh. If it was literally having to put a bum in the seat because they have to sign a new manager tomorrow/tuesday then it would just be carrick.

They've "put someone else in" because there are no candidates, it was all "Ole at the wheel" and now they are only just starting to look.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Hopefully when the interim does well and rides the new manager boost, we give him a long term contract!

Schnappo

Why would he leave that pay day for a 6 month stint at United?
That's a good point, he probably won't. But he has seemingly completely slipped off the radar in Europe in the last few years. This could be a potential way for him to increase his stock. But ultimately, I think you're probably right.

crossy1686

career ending
That's a good point, he probably won't. But he has seemingly completely slipped off the radar in Europe in the last few years. This could be a potential way for him to increase his stock. But ultimately, I think you're probably right.
If he really wants to be a competitive manager again then he should do it but I think he’s just happy to take the money now? He’s probably hardly working over there and getting paid a feck tonne.

Conor

Hire a caretaker until the end of the season, with a huge bonus if he gets us top 4. That should provide enough motivation to do a good job.

Status
Not open for further replies.