Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

thebelfastboy

It's gonna be one of the three aforementioned names.
Ive a feeling that we're in the terrible position of being knocked back in our choice to succeed Ole and the board now don't have a feckin clue what to do.

Whoever we've spoken to said that they are refusing to leave their current club mid-season and we don't have anywhere else to turn but to try and ride this shit show out.

I hope that it's Ten Hag but I've just got that gut feeling he's not coming here. If he was I think there would be more media attention.

My guess is Rodgers who the more time goes on is not looking like the ideal candidate.

What an absolute clusterfeck.

Jibbs

I think we should look to appoint an interim manager before handing over the reins to Eric at the season end.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Ive a feeling that we're in the terrible position of being knocked back in our choice to succeed Ole and the board now don't have a feckin clue what to do.

Whoever we've spoken to said that they are refusing to leave their current club mid-season and we don't have anywhere else to turn but to try and ride this shit show out.

I hope that it's Ten Hag but I've just got that gut feeling he's not coming here. If he was I think there would be more media attention.

My guess is Rodgers who the more time goes on is not looking like the ideal candidate.

I personally think it's gonna be between ten Hag and Rodgers, with Poch doing just enough to stay at PSG for another season.

I also don't expect any noises regarding ten Hag because they're in the UCL and won't appreciate the distraction which could have a destabilising effect on the playing squad at Ajax. So I fully expect the club to stay quiet for a while on that front, which is something I'm sure Van der Sarr would expect from the club if we did approach Ajax.

Sviken

If we miss out on Conte to get Rodgers, I'll be fuming. The only one that makes sense right now is Ten Hag or Gallardo, but I doubt the Glazers even know who the latter is.

steffyr2

If we miss out on Conte to get Rodgers, I'll be fuming. The only one that makes sense right now is Ten Hag or Gallardo, but I doubt the Glazers even know who the latter is.
Why wouldn't the technical director brief them on all the options? Since we'r hired him to research that sort of thing?

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I've resigned myself that Ole will be here till summer and will get top 4 easily. It will be an interesting summer as players will be leaving ,DVB, Pogba, Matic, Mata, Lingard, Bailly, Cavani and maybe Martial.

I wonder what rubbish we will be said then it's another rebuild , it's another process etc.
There is literally no reason, based on our performances this season, to believe that we will make top 4, let alone do it "easily".

femto

Haven't seen it mentioned yet, but Michael Cox (Zonal Marking, now at The Athletic), had an article this week about how the market for coaches has changed. The article is paywalled but essentially the point is that sacking a manager isn't entirely based on the incumbent's performance but also on who else is on the market and if a better candidate comes on to the market clubs move faster than they would have previously to upgrade. He gave a few examples, including Liverpool sacking Brendan to bring in Klopp.

By being proactive you try to avoid getting United's current position, where everyone knows a change is needed but the club appear to have no plan on who could have come in. I wonder if better coverage/access to foreign leagues means we're more versed in coaches from across Europe, the result being there's a relatively well-sorted hierarchy of coaches, meaning the elite managers aren't available for long.

edit: link to article for anyone interested (https://theathletic.com/2932279/202...tion-is-untenable-they-upgrade-when-they-can/)

Last edited:

reelworld

I think this is what's happening as well. The board have identified their targets but none available so they are forced to ride this season out and sort it out on the summer.
I really hope they already have an agreement on whoever their target is to come in on the summer irrespective of CL qualifications.
As long as it's not Rodgers I can live with that.
My fear is, the next manager backing out if we don't qualified for CL, or Ole somehow managed to reached 2nd place again and the board pull out the deal for the next manager

croadyman

I think we should look to appoint an interim manager before handing over the reins to Eric at the season end.
I wish we would then could actually want us to win games again, unfortunately it looks like there is absolutely no intention of making a change so it will be a emotionless next 7 months then sadly

croadyman

I think this is what's happening as well. The board have identified their targets but none available so they are forced to ride this season out and sort it out on the summer.
I really hope they already have an agreement on whoever their target is to come in on the summer irrespective of CL qualifications.
As long as it's not Rodgers I can live with that.
My fear is, the next manager backing out if we don't qualified for CL, or Ole somehow managed to reached 2nd place again and the board pull out the deal for the next manager
Maybe they should stop being such bloody tight arses and buy their target out of his contract RIGHT NOW

Kaos

Yep, and this is precisely why they want Rodgers or Poch. Timid personalities who won't kick up a fuss while the boys club can enjoy keeping each other in the job. It's also why they love Ole.

Ragnick would pose the risk of having us act like an actual elite football job.

croadyman

Yep, and this is precisely why they want Rodgers or Poch. Timid personalities who won't kick up a fuss while the boys club can enjoy keeping each other in the job. It's also why they love Ole.

Ragnick would pose the risk of having us act like an actual elite football job.
Yeah you start to feel that after LVG & Jose we aren't ever going to appoint a non yes man under this shitty ownership

Rolaholic

Strong-willed managers like LVG and Jose threaten to expose their incompetence in public for all to see so I don't doubt that they're averse to maverick managers now and prefer another company man like the rest of them that won't rock the boat much

croadyman

Strong-willed managers like LVG and Jose threaten to expose their incompetence in public for all to see so I don't doubt that they're averse to maverick managers now and prefer another company man like the rest of them that won't rock the boat much
Yeah they are absolutely terrified of that happening it's blatantly obvious

macheda14

Yep, and this is precisely why they want Rodgers or Poch. Timid personalities who won't kick up a fuss while the boys club can enjoy keeping each other in the job.
The funny thing is Klopp doesn’t kick up a fuss. FSG are terrible owners who just struck gold with Klopp, but how often does he complain about not receiving much in the way of financial backing over the last two years? All he does is complain about how other teams are richer rather than criticise their owners lack of investment.

Kaos

The funny thing is Klopp doesn’t kick up a fuss. FSG are terrible owners who just struck gold with Klopp, but how often does he complain about not receiving much in the way of financial backing over the last two years? All he does is complain about how other teams are richer rather than criticise their owners lack of investment.
You're right, he doesn't and they are indeed lucky to have struck gold with him. They are however in for a rude awakening once he leaves. I expect them to follow the same downward trajectory we're currently facing.

Flytan

You're right, he doesn't and they are indeed lucky to have struck gold with him. They are however in for a rude awakening once he leaves. I expect them to follow the same downward trajectory we're currently facing.
Depends. FSG has a great track record at appointing managers for the Red Sox, I think 3 different times they won the world series in their first year as manager. They know who to hire and when to cut bait.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
If Klopp had the financial backing of almost half billion in 3 yrs like Ole, United might have 2-3 CL and League titles by now. If only we went hard going for him.

feck this stupid Boards!!

frostbite

If Klopp had the financial backing of almost half billion in 3 yrs like Ole, United might have 2-3 CL and League titles by now. If only we went hard going for him.

feck this stupid Boards!!
We could challenge with Conte this year!... And that was after the 0-5, how more obvious can it be?...

BorisManUtd

Sack Ole, get one of Valverde/Blanc/Favre as interim and we have a chance of top 4 finish and a decent run in both Champions League and FA Cup. At least 1 of those 3 should be willing to accept the offer.

El Zoido

The problem with an “interim” is that if they do half decent, they’ll get the job on a permanent basis. Let’s say we all want Ten Hag next summer, but get Steve Bruce in as an interim. If Brucey gets us a top four finish and champions league QF, we’ll have him on a six year deal before preseason has even started. Otherwise, we get an interim in who fails just as bad as Ole, making the whole thing pointless. IMO we need our next permanent manager right now.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
The problem with an “interim” is that if they do half decent, they’ll get the job on a permanent basis. Let’s say we all want Ten Hag next summer, but get Steve Bruce in as an interim. If Brucey gets us a top four finish and champions league QF, we’ll have him on a six year deal before preseason has even started. Otherwise, we get an interim in who fails just as bad as Ole, making the whole thing pointless. IMO we need our next permanent manager right now.
By Jove some of you are traumatized. This happened one time but apparently it will happen every time.

minoo-utd

It’s very obvious after the board still sticking with Ole after all what happened that they want another one to be a very easy ride for them. It puts us in a position that we can’t get a strong charismatic manager and a leader. So IMO it will leave us with an option most of us will not be very much convinced about and just hoping that the new guy do well. This is out state now unless something crazy happens.

macheda14

He will be at Villa I feel, great chance for him there with a good board, he is making all the right moves.
A weird part of me would absolutely love if somehow down the line he became our manager and was absolutely dominant. I hate the man, but how great would it be having a Liverpool legend making us the best team in England again. The scousers would be sick to their stomachs.

macheda14

So what makes us think Ten Hag will take the job? It's a yes man they're after - who'll work with what he's given. Enter big Brenton.
Ten Hag doesn't seem confrontational at all. He could easily be just as a much of yes man than all of them.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
A weird part of me would absolutely love if somehow down the line he became our manager and was absolutely dominant. I hate the man, but how great would it be having a Liverpool legend making us the best team in England again. The scousers would be sick to their stomachs.
:D I think he will do well at Villa, they are a historically a very big club, and while there is pressure sure no one will be expecting anything more than top 10 initially. Lampard was a complete idiot for taking on the Chelsea job.

wolvored

I think Gerrard would sooner quit football to go work at Poundland than become Manchester United manager.
Didnt he support Utd as a kid until his dad interveaned? Sure I saw a pic of him with a Utd shirt on in one of the papers once.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Ten Hag doesn't seem confrontational at all. He could easily be just as a much of yes man than all of them.
I get the impression think Ten Hag seems the type to not want to work somewhere without a DOF who has a similar vision of football. He’s one of these Ajax Cruijffian weirdos who probably have memorised every chapter of Inverting the Pyramid by heart and shite. Something our board seems very far removed from. Guys like a Poch and Rodgers fit that a lot better.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
Never happening in a million feckin years. He's too much of a football man for us. Big bollox board would shite their pants at having to deal with someone who actually has a plan that doesn't revolve around money. Their inaction says everything about how much they care about the club and its fans. Money is coming in, then what's the problem?

GoldanoGraham

Honestly wouldn’t mind Zidane. Think he’s underrated and would get the best out of Ronaldo and Pogba.
When the going gets tough Zidane quits…..he has no affinity with Utd, no affinity with the EPL, can’t speak English so I really don’t see the fit. No track record of dealing with tough times at a club. Wrong fit all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.