Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dazzmondo

All of them are better because of the coaching they received from ETH. Hence my question. Haller, Blind and Tadic were all deemed PL flops when they joined Ajax.

Even De Jong, Ziyech, De Ligt, Donny have all failed to recapture the form they had at Ajax and that landed their big money moves.

Ability wise, not a single Ajax player is on par with their Benfica counterparts. Despite that Benfica camped in their 18 yard box for 75% of the tie.

That right there clearly shows who they thought were the better coached team.
I can make this argument about any player in the world. Salah is only better than Ryan Fraser because he's playing under one of the 2 best managers in the world in Klopp. He was a complete flop at Chelsea therefore he's actually rubbish. Tadic in particular actually did show a lot of ability at times for Southampton (8 league goals and 13 league assists in 15/16 season). Haller wasn't very good for West Ham but he scored 20 goals for Frankfurt the season prior to joining. Blind certainly wasn't the only player to flop at Utd post-SAF, world class players like Sanchez, di Maria, Schweinsteiger, Falcao all failed here too for various reasons. Blind probably wasn't helped by the amount of time he spent injured for Utd either. I disagree with you massively about the idea that not a single Ajax player is on par with the Benfica players. There are top teams looking to sign the likes of Gravenberch, Mazraoui and Antony. If they really thought these players were only doing well because of Ajax's system they wouldn't be trying to sign them. The only Benfica players I've seen linked with big clubs are Nunez and Rafa Silva (who bizarrely you didn't even mention, apparently Adel Taarabt is better :houllier: )

Caesar2290

Ajax and Benfica are about the same level in European football standards. ETH has elevated Ajax to a place that people think they are big favourites in that tie.

Anyway I base my opinion off his body of work not a single two-legged tie. Otherwise I’d have been Fergie out after Dortmund, Vienna or Porto.
You must be a patient one. I'd have him out after the Rotor debacle

Kaos

Didn't he beat underdog sides like Ajax, Dortmund, etc. On the way to the final? Along with world class sides like Madrid and City.

We dont know what ETH is because he is not proven outside the Dutch league but for all the wanking weve had over him, you'd expect his Ajax team to dispatch Benfica over two legs. 4 goals domestically conceded all season and he shipped 3 in that tie.

It just goes to show, when you're tested in other levels the holes start to show. Even Poch lost some games that Spurs played well in when they exited cups, but he was still marked a bottler.
And he peaked at that point. At PSG he's finding ways to bottle it with a team rightly expected to win everything in France, and hasn't even got them playing decent football. Mourinho and Van Gaal were world beaters at one point but it was clear they were over the hill and hired too late in their careers when they joined us, I fear we'd make the same mistake with Poch. I worry that the PSG job will have ruined him the same way Madrid ruined Mourinho. But at least Mourinho had actually won serious silverware of note prior to that downfall.

sparx99

I dont agree personally but I am a stick in the mud. Think its good how much better technically players in positions are and espcially in England. But jsut personal opinion, I think there is an obsession with wing backs going forard, false 9s, pivots, roles liek a 6 and an 8.

A lot of it is nothing new, its just an adaption or rename/rebrand of football before.

yes, DeGea isnt brilliant with his feet, but he isnt awful either, may not be progressive but he isnt regressive and he has kept us in many games with his saves, which is th emost important thing for me. Obviousloy he isnt goign or being replaced, but who would you even replace him with that makes a huge difference that way and is still quality? Oblak for example is often lauded and despite this season, quite rightly, but he isnt really a modern keeper with his feet either. All for Henderson going and replacing him with an exciting young keeper like Vandervrodt for example to challenge DeGea and maybe in the wau you want, but replace him and he is shite....come on now?
De Gea for me is a problem if we go with ETH. It reminds me of when Peo started with City and immediately wanted rid of Joe Hart. Now Hart was decent for City before. A rapid decline but Guardiola wanted a goalkeeper with better kicking and ball control to play his way.

MeddlLoide

Supports
Leipzig
Ten Hag could very well be a pretty big fail even though I very much like him. But he is too stubborn inside of his possession system seen in the multiple international fails after 2019. I really doubt it translates to the PL with this kind of United squad.

jesperjaap

The problem isn't Rangnick. This is not his squad. The problem is the mess he inherited. Ole was always a mediocre-at-best manager, and the squad he built makes no sense. You cannot fix that mid-season. The fundamental problem is: Van Gaal, Mourinho, Rangnick - these are all different philosophies. This is not how top clubs are run these days. You need to hire the managers that suit your philsophy. Problem is if there is no philosophy.

The fans who now want to boot Rangnick are part of the problem. The damage had already been done. But for once don't run this club emotionally, but with logic, reason and a long-term vision. AND it likely needs to get worse before it gets better - see Arsenal.
I completely agree though whoever the manager is, the players from recruitment are the biggest problem for me and have been for a while.

I think ole had the right intentions and ideas, he jsut simply didnt have the experience, management skills, coahing skills and it truly showed once the honeymoon period of a Man Utd man passed,

I liek Rangnick. He doesnt seem a proper manager to me, but an intelligent man and personally unliek Scholes, think he was a decent interim appointment and could be very useful in his new role. Like you say, isnt his team, its players he inherited and players that simply fro various differing reasons, shouldtn be here, lots of them. That of course can be partly down to mixed philosiphies like you say but for me its more that individually eithe rmentally, physically or technically....most of them are simply not good enough for one of the largest clubs in world football, theres less than 5 deserve to be here forgetting the youngsters

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
And he peaked at that point. At PSG he's finding ways to bottle it with a team rightly expected to win everything in France, and hasn't even got them playing decent football. Mourinho and Van Gaal were world beaters at one point but it was clear they were over the hill and hired too late in their careers when they joined us, I fear we'd make the same mistake with Poch. I worry that the PSG job will have ruined him the same way Madrid ruined Mourinho. But at least Mourinho had actually won serious silverware of note prior to that downfall.
PSG is such a fecked place I agree he shoulders a material amount but there are so many reports of him not enjoying the set up there since well before cup exits.

Even if we argue that he fecked up at PSG, I really dislike this notion that Poch has peaked.

The guy is younger than ETH and was seen as good to very manager at minimum for Southampton, Espanol and Tottenham before the PSG stint. At least hes challenged himself to grow in 2 big leagues, and at his age he can grow even more. Saying hes peaked but ETH has some ceiling that's better is logic I don't quite get. Maybe someone can explain it to me.

sparx99

Didn't he beat underdog sides like Ajax, Dortmund, etc. On the way to the final? Along with world class sides like Madrid and City.

We dont know what ETH is because he is not proven outside the Dutch league but for all the wanking weve had over him, you'd expect his Ajax team to dispatch Benfica over two legs. 4 goals domestically conceded all season and he shipped 3 in that tie.

It just goes to show, when you're tested in other levels the holes start to show. Even Poch lost some games that Spurs played well in when they exited cups, but he was still marked a bottler.
CL is a cup tie at the end of the day. The best team often doesn’t win it. Just look at Chelsea both times they’ve won the trophy.

Skills

Snitch
I just want to get this over with so we can finally get over our bizarre obsession with him, inevitably sack him after 2-3 years once we predictably realise he's not all that (cue shocked pikachu face), and THEN hopefully start a proper rebuild at 5th time of trying.
That time with Brendan Rodgers

Dazzmondo

Ajax and Benfica are about the same level in European football standards. ETH has elevated Ajax to a place that people think they are big favourites in that tie.

Anyway I base my opinion off his body of work not a single two-legged tie. Otherwise I’d have been Fergie out after Dortmund, Vienna or Porto.
Ajax are also only 2 points ahead of PSV atm and would have been level on points if not for a penalty in added time against Waalwijk, followed by another near draw with another injury time winner against Cambuur, so it's not just the loss against Benfica that should raise a bit of doubt about his ability to handle the step up to a top club like Utd.

jesperjaap

De Gea for me is a problem if we go with ETH. It reminds me of when Peo started with City and immediately wanted rid of Joe Hart. Now Hart was decent for City before. A rapid decline but Guardiola wanted a goalkeeper with better kicking and ball control to play his way.
Yes that is a fair point. Personally dont know enough of ETH and his past (e.g onl yrecently saw he was in charge of Bayern years ago), so I cant really make an informed judgement like other may be able to on here....but for whatever reasons maybe just gut feeling, no tconvinced he is the answer

Kaos

PSG is such a fecked place I agree he shoulders a material amount but there are so many reports of him not enjoying the set up there since well before cup exits.

Even if we argue that he fecked up at PSG, I really dislike this notion that Poch has peaked.

The guy is younger than ETH and was seen as good to very manager at minimum for Southampton, Espanol and Tottenham before the PSG stint. At least hes challenged himself to grow in 2 big leagues, and at his age he can grow even more. Saying hes peaked but ETH has some ceiling that's better is logic I don't quite get. Maybe someone can explain it to me.
I think that's down to ETH not having proven himself in a big league as of yet. Poch did well to overachieve with Spurs (but not winning anything) and has flattered to deceive at PSG (his first big club appointment) where he's had the unfortunate accolade of garnering the worst win percentage out of all their recent managers, failing to win the league in his first season (despite only being 2 points off when joining), and just bottling it in the big occasions. Its possible Ten Hag will be just as, if not more disappointing if or when he gets his chance at a massive club, but there's no way of knowing yet, but on the flip side its possible he might go the way of someone like Klopp who could end up being an absolute revelation when making the step up, something that I feel is unlikely with Poch.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
CL is a cup tie at the end of the day. The best team often doesn’t win it. Just look at Chelsea both times they’ve won the trophy.
Ok but this points even more to ETH being so unproven then.

A lot of posters pointed to Champions League chops to cement his standing with big managers. We can't rearrange the logic when hes knocked out.

Thats not to you by the way, just to keep the general thread logic consistent where he was praised.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I think that's down to ETH not having proven himself in a big league as of yet. Poch did well to overachieve with Spurs (but not winning anything) and has flattered to deceive at PSG (his first big club appointment) where he's had the unfortunate accolade of garnering the worst win percentage out of all their recent managers, failing to win the league in his first season (despite only being 2 points off when joining), and just bottling it in the big occasions. Its possible Ten Hag will be just as, if not more disappointing if or when he gets his chance at a massive club, but there's no way of knowing yet, but on the flip side its possible he might go the way of someone like Klopp who could end up being an absolute revelation when making the step up.
I agree but from this I see ETH as a coin toss. That scares me a lot more than the prospect of Poch managing us.

I am not sure if we can afford to take that risk. 5 years no trophy and all.

sparx99

Ultimately hiring ETH could be like getting Mourinho from Porto or it could like getting AVB from Porto. We don’t know how it will turn out. But we don’t have anyone available who would be a sure fire success. That coach simply doesn’t exist.

With ETH, at least it would be hiring a coach who is on a upward trajectory. That’s all you can really ask for and hope it works out well. We’ve got to stop hiring LVG’s or Mourinho types who are past their best. Or Moyes who was stylistically wrong.

An attacking coach ready for the next step is the only requirement. Trophies are a nice bonus but often times coaches have fleeting success and so it’s not a good indicator they will continue to win the top prizes.

Kaos

I agree but from this I see ETH as a coin toss. That scares me a lot more than the prospect of Poch managing us.
I mean we've gone with 'safe' appointments in the past and it hasn't worked for us. I think we ought to try flipping a coin with a progressive, exciting manager for once instead of hoping a vaguely proven manager could keep us semi-competitive.

Caesar2290

Ajax are also only 2 points ahead of PSV atm and would have been level on points if not for a penalty in added time against Waalwijk, followed by another near draw with another injury time winner against Cambuur, so it's not just the loss against Benfica that should raise a bit of doubt about his ability to handle the step up to a top club like Utd.
Mate, they are in 1st place after winning the Eredevise and Cup Double for 2 years running. He is on the same PPG as Poch who everyone claims that he is doing an amazing job in France. The reason it's so close is that PSV this season have a similar PPG as well, hence the closeness of the race. Or is every title race supposed to be a 20 point lead?

Should I remind you that a certain Poch needed 1 point from 2 relegation fodders last year to clinch the title and he got 0. If anything this proves to me that ETH knows how to grind out results as opposed to just win beautifully.

jesperjaap

Very true, what managers have been deemed a success at PSG? Tuchel for example being a recent one who got advese reactions to his stint there.

Personally of the available managers, I tink he may be the best option in my opinion.....but Im not convinced by any of them.

If I could choose a manager from the list it would be Zidane, jstu for the draw he brings and success he has had, did amzing at Real but it was a great squad and his only management role. Part of my reason and its a bit daft....he is French and there are a few players playing n France, including yougn French players I would like to see come here.....for obvious reasons he may be th emost likely to sign them.

We made a mistake not gettign Nagelsmann in my opinion though and keeping Ole so long, he is the man for me, but think timin gis now off

Caesar2290

I am not sure if we can afford to take that risk. 5 years no trophy and all.
5 years of no trophies? Oh, let's hire the manager who didn't win a single trophy in his supposed best stint at Totenham.

Amazing logic there mate :devil:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Ultimately hiring ETH could be like getting Mourinho from Porto or it could like getting AVB from Porto. We don’t know how it will turn out. But we don’t have anyone available who would be a sure fire success. That coach simply doesn’t exist.

With ETH, at least it would be hiring a coach who is on a upward trajectory. That’s all you can really ask for and hope it works out well. We’ve got to stop hiring LVG’s or Mourinho types who are past their best. Or Moyes who was stylistically wrong.

An attacking coach ready for the next step is the only requirement. Trophies are a nice bonus but often times coaches have fleeting success and so it’s not a good indicator they will continue to win the top prizes.
How is Poch past his best?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
5 years of no trophies? Oh, let's hire the manager who didn't win a single trophy in his supposed best stint at Totenham.

Amazing logic there mate :devil:
Read my posts properly and you'll understand the logic

sparx99

Ok but this points even more to ETH being so unproven then.

A lot of posters pointed to Champions League chops to cement his standing with big managers. We can't rearrange the logic when hes knocked out.

Thats not to you by the way, just to keep the general thread logic consistent where he was praised.
No I get that. I would just argue that I’m not convinced ‘proven’ managers even exist. There is always a Klopp or Guardiola managing top side winning things but they often don’t translate well to the 2nd or 3rd job.

Wenger was unproven at Arsenal. Nagelsmann has won nothing before getting the Bayern job. Guardiola and zidane got promoted from managing the reserves.

Most top coaches did well in their domestic league before going to a big team in their domestic league in the past. Globe trotting coaches who’ve won in Germany, Spain and England don’t really exist.

This is where someone like Hassenhuttl or Potter could be a more left-field pick. Can you see things they are doing the PL that could be translated to better players higher up the league? That’s the logic that has got Nagelsmann the Bayern gig.

sparx99

How is Poch past his best?
We don’t really know if he is. The team at Spurs got worse but was that just staying too long and it got stale? The recruitment wasn’t good towards the end either. PSG hasn’t been a resounding success but that squad is not very balanced.

It feels like his career is at a crossroads. He could take the Utd gig and make a massive success of it or he could flop and I think he’d have a hard time getting back to the top.

Caesar2290

Read my posts properly and you'll understand the logic
Oh, I read it. You are literally clamouring for a manager that hasn't won a trophy despite us being 5 year trophiless. Or am I missing something?

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
The problem isn't Rangnick. This is not his squad. The problem is the mess he inherited. Ole was always a mediocre-at-best manager, and the squad he built makes no sense. You cannot fix that mid-season. The fundamental problem is: Van Gaal, Mourinho, Rangnick - these are all different philosophies. This is not how top clubs are run these days. You need to hire the managers that suit your philsophy. Problem is if there is no philosophy.

The fans who now want to boot Rangnick are part of the problem. The damage had already been done. But for once don't run this club emotionally, but with logic, reason and a long-term vision. AND it likely needs to get worse before it gets better - see Arsenal.
Logical people have always been in a minority throughout human existence, vast majority of people act on emotional impulses. The problem logical people make is that they think most people are like them while the reality is quite the opposite.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We don’t really know if he is. The team at Spurs got worse but was that just staying too long and it got stale? The recruitment wasn’t good towards the end either. PSG hasn’t been a resounding success but that squad is not very balanced.

It feels like his career is at a crossroads. He could take the Utd gig and make a massive success of it or he could flop and I think he’d have a hard time getting back to the top.
True, but he does know the league and the teams hes managed have tended to do well here.

ETH is fine by me, and so is Poch. But I think the former is generally over praised and the latter overly critiqued. It won't bode well for fan sentiment on the caf if Poch joins.

sparx99

There's no guarantees in this game. Poch could actually be a better appointment than ETH. Nobody knows, anyone who claims otherwise is talking bollocks.
Yeah, he’s definitely lost some of his sparkle but Poch could still be the one. I’m excited by Ten Hag but there is some recency bias there and he has lower expectations with Ajax than Poch does with Ten Hag.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Oh, I read it. You are literally clamouring for a manager that hasn't won a trophy despite us being 5 year trophiless. Or am I missing something?
Poch will win the French league this year, which I know is a farmers league, but its valued the same as a Dutch league.

ETH has won nothing in Europe or in proper leagues either, he hasn't even managed there despite being older. His purple patch as a manager comes from a well synchronised unit with Overmars and VDS, and hes older.

He would be a bigger risk than Poch, is what I am saying. I wasn't clamouring for anyone so read the posts better. I've said multiple times I am fine with both and on many occasions Ive expressed a desire for ETH. That doesn't change the fact hes more risky, and that's scary given how we cant afford to take a big risk right now.

sparx99

True, but he does know the league and the teams hes managed have tended to do well here.

ETH is fine by me, and so is Poch. But I think the former is generally over praised and the latter overly critiqued. It won't bode well for fan sentiment on the caf if Poch joins.
I think the fans do give our coaches a chance even if they weren’t big fans of the appointment. It’s true that Southampton and Spurs both played well and PL experience is maybe an advantage. You tend to see foreign coaches needing an adaptation period even the great ones like Klopp and Guardiola.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
How can anyone compare losing to benefica and losing to real Madrid, with believing the benefica loss was less worse of the two? I am a fan if ten hag, but people on here needs to take of their "think ten hag is the next guardiola," glasses. Eth is only two points behind psv in a much weaker league as well. Eth might have a good philosophy, but until he prove he is able to do well in a tougher league, then he will be a gamble for any big club, unlike Pochettino who has already done well at a big club and managed ego at psg and went to the semi final of the champion league and is about to walk the league over there in just two years there.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I think the fans do give our coaches a chance even if they weren’t big fans of the appointment. It’s true that Southampton and Spurs both played well and PL experience is maybe an advantage. You tend to see foreign coaches needing an adaptation period even the great ones like Klopp and Guardiola.
I've never seen a fanbase on the caf so vehemently against a prospective manager as I have Poch.

I think it actually pips the Mourinho hiring by way of having a sect that are against him from day 1.

Dazzmondo

Mate, they are in 1st place after winning the Eredevise and Cup Double for 2 years running. He is on the same PPG as Poch who everyone claims that he is doing an amazing job in France. The reason it's so close is that PSV this season have a similar PPG as well, hence the closeness of the race. Or is every title race supposed to be a 20 point lead?

Should I remind you that a certain Poch needed 1 point from 2 relegation fodders last year to clinch the title and he got 0. If anything this proves to me that ETH knows how to grind out results as opposed to just win beautifully.
Literally nobody is saying this. All the proponents for Pochettino are basing it on his work at Southampton and Spurs.

Eddy_JukeZ

How can anyone compare losing to benefica and losing to real Madrid, with believing the benefica loss was less worse of the two? I am a fan if ten hag, but people on here needs to take of their "think ten hag is the next guardiola," glasses. Eth is only two points behind psv in a much weaker league as well. Eth might have a good philosophy, but until he prove he is able to do well in a tougher league, then he will be a gamble for any big club, unlike Pochettino who has already done well at a big club and managed ego at psg and went to the semi final of the champion league and is about to walk the league over there in just two years there.
Walking Ligue 1 is now an accomplishment?

He also failed to win the same league.

Caesar2290

Poch will win the French league this year, which I know is a farmers league, but its valued the same as a Dutch league.

ETH has won nothing in Europe or in proper leagues either, he hasn't even managed there despite being older. His purple patch as a manager comes from a well synchronised unit with Overmars and VDS, and hes older.

He would be a bigger risk than Poch, is what I am saying. I wasn't clamouring for anyone so read the posts better. I've said multiple times I am fine with both and on many occasions Ive expressed a desire for ETH. That doesn't change the fact hes more risky, and that's scary given how we cant afford to take a big risk right now.
Differnce to me is in the playing style, not what they won.

ETH went out despite completely dominating Benfica over 2 legs. He always plays attacking proactive football as show by tonight.

Poch is not exactly been setting the world alight with his brand of football since at least 2018. Since then I only hear excuses as to why. If you think PSG is bad, wait till he comes to our lot of players.

But my biggest gripe with Poch is that he is a very bad squad builder. His best work was done at Soton and Spurs when Mitchell was the recruitment director. As soon as he quit and Poch was given more power they signed gems like Lo Celso and Ndombele, etc. His signings are very underwhelming to say the least.

ETH has show so far that he knows what players to recruit at both Utrecht and to a lesser degree with Ajax. Hence why I want him ahead of Poch.

What they win in their farmers league is absolutely irrelevant to me.

And now that we are in need of rebuilding from scratch, last thing we need is a manager who has a poor recuitment CV, even if our DoF will do the recruiting.

Caesar2290

Literally nobody is saying this. All the proponents for Pochettino are basing it on his work at Southampton and Spurs.
But they are. The whole "he is bossing the French league by 16 points, while ETH is barely staying ahead" is a been a narrative for quiet a while

And his best work was done when Mitchell was doing the recruitment at both Soton and Spurs. Look what happened as soon as he left and Poch was left holding the reigns by himself.

Ever since Mitchell left, Poch started his downward spiral. Coincidence? Tbf, I don't want United to find out.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Differnce to me is in the playing style, not what they won.

ETH went out despite completely dominating Benfica over 2 legs. He always plays attacking proactive football as show by tonight.

Poch is not exactly been setting the world alight with his brand of football since at least 2018. Since then I only hear excuses as to why. If you think PSG is bad, wait till he comes to our lot of players.

But my biggest gripe with Poch is that he is a very bad squad builder. His best work was done at Soton and Spurs when Mitchell was the recruitment director. As soon as he quit and Poch was given more power they signed gems like Lo Celso and Ndombele, etc. His signings are very underwhelming to say the least.

ETH has show so far that he knows what players to recruit at both Utrecht and to a lesser degree with Ajax. Hence why I want him ahead of Poch.

What they win in their farmers league is absolutely irrelevant to me.

And now that we are in need of rebuilding from scratch, last thing we need is a manager who has a poor recuitment CV, even if our DoF will do the recruiting.
ETH is not coming with any guarantees of silverware than Poch. So Im not sure why you took exception to my post that hes a bigger risk.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
But they are. The whole "he is bossing the French league by 16 points, while ETH is barely staying ahead" is a been a narrative for quiet a while

And his best work was done when Mitchell was doing the recruitment at both Soton and Spurs. Look what happened as soon as he left and Poch was left holding the reigns by himself.

Ever since Mitchell left, Poch started his downward spiral. Coincidence? Tbf, I don't want United to find out.
This is just a bit silly, are you saying Mitchell was the reason Poch did so well? He didnt coach the side you know this right.

Also do you know that ETH is strongly dependent on Ajax recruitment and academy? Their DoF has been just as vital to the performance of the team as Paul Mitchell was for Spurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.