Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainoldo

I am getting sick and tired of posters so entrenched in their views that they fail to even read simple posts.

Go and find one post where I ignored the impact of Paul Mitchell when Poch was in charge.

All I said was he doesn't take all credit, he didn't coach the side. Recruitment isn't the only material factor, otherwise wed all be playing football manager for fecksake.

Also, show me where Poch pushed out Mitchell please?
I’ve got to say you are the only one speaking sense.

You would believe from reading posts on here. That Poch would have Ajax 3rd if he was managing them.

Mainoldo

This is one of the main selling points for me.

He shown the ability to lose nearly most the first team, and make them competitive again. Shows a ability to get the max of players they've got and can go and get without insane spending.

Always remember Poch absolutely struggling with spurs when he got max out of them, and his signing were underwhelming. When I look at what we got at the moment, I think the only way to fix our squad is bringing in youth, and signing hidden gems, which Hag will be the perfect man to get the max from them.
He’s rebuilding in a league that his rivals are already a level below whilst also having players pinched and rebuilding. Abit different to rebuilding when your up against Liverpool and high spending City, United and Chelsea. Let’s have some context.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I’ve got to say you are the only one speaking sense.

You would believe from reading posts on here. That Poch would have Ajax 3rd if he was managing them.
He would win the Dutch league, I have doubts he would have Ajax performing as well in the UCL

Mainoldo

He would win the Dutch league, I have doubts he would have Ajax performing as well in the UCL
Why not has he performed poorly in the Champs league in his career? Spurs always made it out the group stages.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Why not has he performed poorly in the Champs league in his career? Spurs always made it out the group stages.
I’m obviously not only talking about this season and obviously talking about performances not just the results.

Spurs also had much better players than Ajax. No I don’t see Poch performing better with that Ajax squad in the UCL whilst losing their best players every year.

Winning the Dutch league with Ajax is not what is defining Ten Haag as a potentially top manager. It is how he has rebuilt Ajax in the UCL.

Poch is also a very capable manager

Granted Poch is a good manager too and took Spurs to the final.

Flexdegea

He’s rebuilding in a league that his rivals are already a level below whilst also having players pinched and rebuilding. Abit different to rebuilding when your up against Liverpool and high spending City, United and Chelsea. Let’s have some context.

True, obvs not the same context, but they absolute cruised their champs league group, while dominated domestically during this transition. They Dominated this tie as well, but lost, classic knockout football. He has had them competitive in Europe.

It's the result business and they failed on that front last night. But he is not the first manager to lose a knockout tie like that, or be the last one for that to happen to in Europe. Happened to every "best" of the best manager about going thru the years.

I just feel he will suit us more for going forward and completely overhauling our set up.

Mainoldo

I’m obviously not only talking about this season and obviously talking about performances not just the results.

Spurs also had much better players than Ajax. No I don’t see Poch performing better with that Ajax squad in the UCL whilst losing their best players every year.

Winning the Dutch league with Ajax is not what is defining Ten Haag as a potentially top manager. It is how he has rebuilt Ajax in the UCL.

Poch is also a very capable manager

Granted Poch is a good manager too and took Spurs to the final.
Well no it wasn’t obvious and again. Taking the results out. Spurs were s really good watch in the Champs League. A level above Ajax but context… they had a better Team.

It’s hypothetical but we really do not know if he managed Ajax as the confidence in the UCL comes from good league form. When Spurs finally decided to rebuild they did not have that. Even though they still qualified under Jose if I remember rightly.

But in short I really do not see any managerial quality difference between both managers no matter what people say. They are the same level and many could argue Poch is higher just based on where he’s been and achieved at that level.

Mainoldo

True, obvs not the same context, but they absolute cruised their champs league group, while dominated domestically during this transition. They Dominated this tie as well, but lost, classic knockout football. He has had them competitive in Europe.

It's the result business and they failed on that front last night. But he is not the first manager to lose a knockout tie like that, or be the last one for that to happen to in Europe. Happened to every "best" of the best manager about going thru the years.

I just feel he will suit us more for going forward and completely overhauling our set up.
I’ve really got no issues with ETH. He’s probably my preference just on the basis he’ll totally dismantle this team. But I just don’t see him being pound for pound better than Poch. He just isn’t.

OmarUnited4ever

Last night Scholes said after the game:

"Aside from Pep & Klopp, any manager should be gettable by United" and this means he includes Tuchel as being gettable.

I Kinda agree to be honest, managers like Tuchel and Simone, and others no listed in the poll should also be considered by the club and see if there is a chance in getting them if they are deemed to be the best option going forward.

sparx99

Sorry lads, but its a sign of the times, that Man United fans are arguing over two managers, neither of whom have achieved a great deal.
The best appointments often are those types. You want someone on an upward trajectory not on the 2nd half of their career. Fans on here would talk themselves out of appointing Guardiola because anyone can win with Barca and Bayern.

Out of all the managers in world football who is there, that would tick a theoretical checklist for the Redcafe? It feels like fans basically want a Pep or Klopp clone and they don't exist.

- Not too old
- Not too young
- won things before (but Dutch League and French League aren't important enough to count)
- Has a modern style of football
- can manage big egos and superstars
- can develop youth and be a modern man-manager not a disciplinarian
- has to be a winner but can't ruffle any feathers while doing so

So you end up somewhere like where the Board are at; looking at Ten Hag, Poch and Zidane (but he seemingly has no interest) with a couple of outsiders if they don't get one of those. Both fail to tick some of those boxes but so would virtually any other manager in world football. It's a wishlist but the ideal candidate will never exist and is no guarantee of success either.

sugar_kane

Hang on, ETH lost a game? Absolutely no way he should be our manager, only a 100% win record will suffice.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The more I think about it, the more I think Tuchel would do a good job, but if he’s not gettable I’d prefer ETH over Poch. I just feel that we’ve seen his best already

L1nk

"Aside from Pep & Klopp, any manager should be gettable by United" and this means he includes Tuchel as being gettable.

I Kinda agree to be honest, managers like Tuchel and Simone, and others no listed in the poll should also be considered by the club and see if there is a chance in getting them if they are deemed to be the best option going forward.
But you could see that Rio didn't agree. I do agree that someone will want to be the one to come in and bring United back to the top, it's an attractive prospect no matter which way you look at it. But it's a poisoned chalice currently, why would someone like Nagelsmann want to come here for example

sparx99

we already have too many

you honestly see us signing 5 or more players this summer? I don't
Probably not but we only really need 5-6 signings with 10-12 leaving. It may John Murtough wants to turn the page on this season, Ole, Ed Woodward etc and get a new era off to a positive start. I think anyone who wants to leave should be allowed to regardless of their potential or current ability.

OmarUnited4ever

But you could see that Rio didn't agree. I do agree that someone will want to be the one to come in and bring United back to the top, it's an attractive prospect no matter which way you look at it. But it's a poisoned chalice currently, why would someone like Nagelsmann want to come here for example
I get what you are saying, but it's really important for the club to get the best option in terms of managers, be it Tuchel, Nagelsmann, or anyone else, we can't keep hiring the wrong manager going forward, the next appointment will determine if we have a chance of success in the next 3-5 years time.

there are huge issues in the playing squad, but getting the best possible manager is the top and the most important priority in my opinion

sparx99

It's about selling a vision right? At the end of the day Chelsea, City, PSG and now Newcastle show that with a vision and resources you can recruit top coaches and players even if you are building from a long way back.

I think we've given up on Haaland for example but there is no reason even in our state that we shouldn't be able to sit down with him and say 'we're getting Ten Hag, we are going to buy 5-6 top players even if it costs us £300m and we are going to be targeting the league title and the CL as soon as possible.

That is how Real Madrid rebuild, its how Barca rebuild. Ronaldinho chose Barca in the Uefa Cup over Man Utd in the CL because of being sold the vision by the Barca board. Hazard chose Chelsea over Utd when we were the better team ( i know they won the CL but 2012 wasn't a vintage Chelsea side).

Just because our board won't do that doesn't mean Man Utd couldn't do that if we wanted to. We are being held back by our lack of ambition all the time.

Infra-red

Hang on, ETH lost a game? Absolutely no way he should be our manager, only a 100% win record will suffice.
I know, it's ridiculous.

It's going to be two years (at least) before we play another CL knockout game. The fact that ETH lost one, is hardly a big deal.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks

The manager should want to come to us first.

Lee565

I do wonder what the requirements are from our fans at times because unfortunately the very best 2 managers are at man City and liverpool and they are the equivalent of messi and ronaldo in terms of being on an extra level to the rest, though I am sure that many based in snap judgement wouldn't have wanted klopp last season just because he had a below average season and the same goes for pep after he went out to Lyon in the champions league

L1nk

It's about selling a vision right? At the end of the day Chelsea, City, PSG and now Newcastle show that with a vision and resources you can recruit top coaches and players even if you are building from a long way back.

I think we've given up on Haaland for example but there is no reason even in our state that we shouldn't be able to sit down with him and say 'we're getting Ten Hag, we are going to buy 5-6 top players even if it costs us £300m and we are going to be targeting the league title and the CL as soon as possible.

That is how Real Madrid rebuild, its how Barca rebuild. Ronaldinho chose Barca in the Uefa Cup over Man Utd in the CL because of being sold the vision by the Barca board. Hazard chose Chelsea over Utd when we were the better team ( i know they won the CL but 2012 wasn't a vintage Chelsea side).

Just because our board won't do that doesn't mean Man Utd couldn't do that if we wanted to. We are being held back by our lack of ambition all the time.
Yeah but you just made the point yourself, we could do it, but we haven't been, and seemingly we never will under this ownership, so in effect, no we can't just go out and get whoever we want

frostbite

After the PSG experience, Poch will be broken. And the situation in our club, with the non performing super stars, is almost as bad as in PSG. ETH has experience only in a small league, I am not convinced that he will be able to manage in England. Tuchel is a better choice. Zidane is still better. Perhaps in the summer Zizu might want to join us, if our owners play it right.

L1nk

After the PSG experience, Poch will be broken. And the situation in our club, with the non performing super stars, is almost as bad as in PSG. ETH has experience only in a small league, I am not convinced that he will be able to manage in England. Tuchel is a better choice. Zidane is still better. Perhaps in the summer Zizu might want to join us, if our owners play it right.
Zidane will go to PSG or wait for the France job, why would he risk his cv with us, he has no history with us

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
I really think Emery would be a good fit at this stage, to carry United forward in a sensible manner? He is an astute stabiliser and not as reactive as many would make him, also a proven winner, albeit not at the highest level. His resume is clearly richer and broader than Pochettino and Ten Hag. Sure, his time at Arsenal was difficult in the end, he was out of his pond from a cultural perspective and the press loved to maul him for his awkwardness.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
We need to take advantage of Rangnick going upstairs and do away with “clean slate for new manager” nonsense. I hope we have identified the players that needs booting and their alternatives.

Lassitude42

A wildcard, but what about Vieira? Doing a great job at Palace, on the way up, plays good football and presumably attainable? A risk but it could pay off

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
I really think Emery would be a good fit at this stage, to carry United forward in a sensible manner? He is an astute stabiliser and not as reactive as many would make him, also a proven winner, albeit not at the highest level. His resume is clearly richer and broader than Pochettino and Ten Hag. Sure, his time at Arsenal was difficult in the end, he was out of his pond from a cultural perspective and the press loved to maul him for his awkwardness.
So let’s appoint him to the most media-driven job in English football? :lol:

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

Great manager but is this what we want? A guy that leaves a club when the chips are down? Not that our any situation is great but if we're struggling financially or for perofrmances, would he eye a new project?

With Ten Hag it makes sense, he doesn't want to be part of a selling club, re-build every season, and wants his first taste at a really top-level league.

Wiesenlooser

Supports
Bayern Munich
Great manager but is this what we want? A guy that leaves a club when the chips are down? Not that our any situation is great but if we're struggling financially or for perofrmances, would he eye a new project?
This is not ’the chips are down’. this is a ‘this might be an entirely different club’ scenario. Who knows what the plans are of the club owner? I don’t see Tuchel leaving unless they are selling half the squad and give him a team he doesn’t like.

Wiesenlooser

Supports
Bayern Munich
This is one of the main selling points for me.

He shown the ability to lose nearly most the first team, and make them competitive again. Shows a ability to get the max of players they've got and can go and get without insane spending.

Always remember Poch absolutely struggling with spurs when he got max out of them, and his signing were underwhelming. When I look at what we got at the moment, I think the only way to fix our squad is bringing in youth, and signing hidden gems, which Hag will be the perfect man to get the max from them.
It’s an entirely different setup. Even if losing key players frequently, Ajax can always get some of the best talents in the world because they can guarantee playtime and CL. They will always do well in their league and because of that, there is less pressure. I agree he did incredibly well, but it‘s not at all a comparable situation imo.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Doesn't matter who it is.

As soon as he wants to sell a player and the Board stops him, then gives the player a new contract to protect value, the new man's authority will be shot.

The players will know nothing has changed. The manager is just a placeholder and they can mess him about.

Status
Not open for further replies.