Next Real Madrid manager | Glaston has a shocker

Ban

Is that wrong?

Look how much stick Guardiola gets for supposedly only taking easy jobs. I'm not saying Poch doing well at Spurs means given a bigger budget and more leverage he'd be a sure success at a higher club because that can blow in your face like David Moyes who had Everton in the European places on a shoe-string budget but failed at Utd. But that's only with the benefit of hindsight do we know that.

I think Sean Dyche getting Burnley into Europe is a bigger achievement than Guardiola winning the league with City. It's relative to the resources you have and in Poch's case he does have financial handicaps compared to the teams competing with them, yet he's got them into the UCL for a third straight year while not being at a proper home this season just gone. So yes I believe the challenge is far greater.
Challenge is not greater cause if he doesn't win something he still stays as his job unlike at Madrid.
And financial handicap excuse takes you only so far. He has a pretty good team right now at his disposal.

GiddyUp

Believe whatever cosy theory makes you comfortable, although the notion that RM looked elsewhere due a shortage of money is pretty shaky.

Alli and Kane aren't available in the first place, so "what they would cost" is immaterial, and Eriksen will sign a new contract.
Spurs wage ceiling is a big problem for the club and those three players could double their wages at least by signing for a number of clubs. Spurs and Liverpool fans are similar in this regard. The unyielding opinion that their best player will never leave, and then they do.

Ban

He was ghost-writer for Pochettino's recent book, so has obviously spent a lot of time with him. It's not hard to imagine that subject of Real Madrid came up in discussions between them and that he thus knows Poch's views on taking up taking up any job offer.
Let's put it this way, he's a wanker who I don't believe a word he says.

Boycott

Challenge is not greater cause if he doesn't win something he still stays as his job unlike at Madrid.
And financial handicap excuse takes you only so far. He has a pretty good team right now at his disposal.
He stays in his job at Spurs because success/failure beyond the top 1% isn't just based on whether you have a shiny pot in May. It's a bigger challenge to reshape/build up a football club. Luis Enrique was sacked by Roma finishing outside the European places, finished 9th at Celta and got the Barcelona job where he won the treble in his first year. I would say managing one of the top two in Spain is akin to being a managing director than a training ground coach. Pochettino is my mind a far better training ground coach and better fit for building a club, but he might not have the gravitas and personality to be the former. Zidane has been a manager for three years and has more CLs as a manager than SAF, Mourinho and Guardiola. Yet there is skepticism over how good he is...?

El Pasillo

Kane walks into the Madrid side with a blind fold on. And Poch, well, he is Madrid's no 1 target so....
Despite the fact that Ronaldo is almost 35, he's still their most decisive player and I can't see RM cut ties with him during this summer.

According to the reports, Real Madrid have focued on other targets after Poch rejecting them...

Most good forwards are better than current Benzema (over a season) anyway.
If you're talking about goalscoring production during this season, then probably.

Benzema is still nonetheless a top class player who's having a huge influence for the way RM plays attacking wise.

Definitely among RM's most important and not many can replace Benzema tbh.

Ban

He stays in his job at Spurs because success/failure beyond the top 1% isn't just based on whether you have a shiny pot in May. It's a bigger challenge to reshape/build up a football club. Luis Enrique was sacked by Roma finishing outside the European places, finished 9th at Celta and got the Barcelona job where he won the treble in his first year. I would say managing one of the top two in Spain is akin to being a managing director than a training ground coach. Pochettino is my mind a far better training ground coach and better fit for building a club, but he might not have the gravitas and personality to be the former. Zidane has been a manager for three years and has more CLs as a manager than SAF, Mourinho and Guardiola. Yet there is skepticism over how good he is...?
As for Zidane it's true he has a great team but on the other hand you can't be a bad coach if you win 3 CLs in a row. As for Poch I agree about building a club. But does he have it in his locker to go a step further and win something or go to a club of Madrid size?

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
If the challenge at Spurs to win trophies is greater than Madrid, which it is right? You can't even argue that point. How is it lacking ambition to choose to stay in a job where it is HARDER to win trophies? Your post isn't logical. It is a sign of Poch's ambition that he wishes to remain at Spurs to try and win major trophies. Zidane is certainly not a great manager, I can guarantee he will likely do absolutely nothing in his career as a manger post Madrid. He isn't a great coach. Yet he's won 3 CLs. That is Madrid for you. Run of the mill managers can take over and win trophies like no tomorrow. Bringing Bale on with half an hour of a CL final doesn't make you a tactical genius ffs. He should have started.
Lol, if you say so buddy.

No doubt it's harder to win trophies at spurs. But ultimately he won't be judged on trophies at Spurs. Whereas he will at Madrid.

As we've seen, Poch can just continue finishing trophyless and in the top 4 and he's hailed by many (not unfairly, btw) but at Madrid the expectation is to win the league and the champions league. Failure to do so means you get the boot.

So yes, it's a lack of ambition.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Spurs wage ceiling is a big problem for the club and those three players could double their wages at least by signing for a number of clubs. Spurs and Liverpool fans are similar in this regard. The unyielding opinion that their best player will never leave, and then they do.
The last best player to leave Spurs was 5 summers ago ... and that was to Real Madrid who've now failed to lure Pochettino away.

Times change, but the views of some opposition fans remain stuck in the past.

Bearded One

If you must play entertaining football then you must win else the so called brand of football would amount to nothing. I like Poch but he needs to push his team to begin to win trophies and upset bigger opposition in league title races or important CL concluding stages else he wouldn't be in the conversation of top coaches.

Klopp on the other hand has shown this tendency somewhat but will need to do more still. I honestly do believe he can push for the title this term with the way they are going about their business in the market today.

Managers earn the license, as it were, to manage at the highest levels but you simply cannot gift them the 'world class' tag until they have actually earned it by virtue of their success in competitions. It's a different ball game at the top. Here you are managing worldclass players with big egos. Nothing like an underdog pushing for a decent position on the league table if you ask me.
People question the validity of the world class tag often given to Zizou but quickly forget there was a Rafa Benitez who got the club in sinking mode with about the same set of players.

To be clear I believe that the conversation on world class managers is basically a discussion about managers of top clubs in the world because you will hardly ever see a manager that will take a West Ham for example to the Champions league quarter or semi finals four years in a row or finish within top 4 four years in a row whIlst winning the league once. Some managers are more lucky than others in finding their way to top clubs in Europe but usually the ones that aren't competent enough get found out as not belonging to that level soon enough even though they win the odd trophy here and there whilst at those top clubs. History has it that soon enough their true level shows and they usually don't last long at these top clubs.

I am content to have Jose on board for now particularly because he is restoring that winning mentality to the club. I believe if given the resources required he can still compete at the highest level.

@Primativ

RoyH1

So Bild reporting that Madrid was interested in Julian Nagelsmann (Hoffenheims 31 year old coach) but he passed on the opportunity.

Maybe Moyes it is after all? :)

Ahsan_6386

Oh in my view it will be Antonio Conte in the end . A nice stop gap solution with good experience in winning league titles . He is currently unemployed and available so no haggling with football clubs . Add to that he has enough experience of big matches . After winning 3 Champions league on the trot they will want the league title more this coming season so Conte's experience will count and he has shown at Chelsea and Juventus that he can win league titles with out making whole sale changes to the squad . I believe if Real are unable to sign Poch then they will gladly take Conte on a 2 season contract .

James Peril

The last best player to leave Spurs was 5 summers ago ... and that was to Real Madrid who've now failed to lure Pochettino away.

Times change indeed, but Tottenham find themselves further away from the title, still not winning any trophies. When will you as a fan-group start to expect titles? When will you say this is not enough? You are constantly hiding behind rubbish retorics such as net spent and so forth, but all that matters is what’s on the pitch - not what the players cost. So if all of your players are better than most of the players in the league, wouldn’t you agree it’s time to make use of that and win trophies?

That’s the nice thing about being a fan of a smaller club I guess. Win a game and it’s all great, lose a game and it’s still what you’ve come to expect over time so it’s no big deal. If you want to be one of the big boys, and you certainly aren’t, you need to win stuff - and stop hiding behind a list of convenient excuses.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Times change indeed, but Tottenham find themselves further away from the title, still not winning any trophies. When will you as a fan-group start to expect titles? When will you say this is not enough? You are constantly hiding behind rubbish retorics such as net spent and so forth, but all that matters is what’s on the pitch - not what the players cost. So if all of your players are better than most of the players in the league, wouldn’t you agree it’s time to make use of that and win trophies?
They've turned into a new Liverpool.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Oh in my view it will be Antonio Conte in the end . A nice stop gap solution with good experience in winning league titles . He is currently unemployed and available so no haggling with football clubs . Add to that he has enough experience of big matches . After winning 3 Champions league on the trot they will want the league title more this coming season so Conte's experience will count and he has shown at Chelsea and Juventus that he can win league titles with out making whole sale changes to the squad . I believe if Real are unable to sign Poch then they will gladly take Conte on a 2 season contract .
I was surprised Conte didnt get more traction as next manager with the media.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs

That’s the nice thing about being a fan of a smaller club I guess. Win a game and it’s all great, lose a game and it’s still what you’ve come to expect over time so it’s no big deal. If you want to be one of the big boys, and you certainly aren’t, you need to win stuff - and stop hiding behind a list of convenient excuses.
Virtually all of your posts drip with derision and a quite inflated view of United's place in the current scheme of things.

Are United really any closer than Spurs to winning the next league title or the Champions League? No. And yet you've spent a fortune since Fergie retired. So what's your convenient excuse?

Your desperation to claim United as still "one of the big boys" shines through, as ever. But these days, on the football pitch, there is no equal-par footing between United and the likes of Barca, Real Madrid, Juventus, Bayern and City. So why don't you climb down from your high horse and face this truth squarely in the face?

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
He’s highly strung and falls out with people.

Good manager, but would be a disaster at coping with Madrid’s prima donnas.
You could make a similar argument for Pochettino but for differing reasons, notoriously brutal double training sessions, my way or the highway attitude. Im not sure any of that would fly with the established RM dressing room prima donnas, especially coming from a manager that has won nothing.

He cant just walk into the dressing room and ship out a bunch of players that dont fit his philosophy like he could do at Spurs. Also motivating the 30+ superstar crowd to do brutal double training sessions would be a hard sell, young players looking to break into the team by all means. Established superstars? Not sure, some might knuckle down, others might get their backs up.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I don't really fancy Conte (or Allegri for that matter) and might as well try it with Guti, lol. The timing on Zidane's departure was very bad so no wonder we're struggling to find a good replacement as it was very abrupt.

Revaulx

You could make a similar argument for Pochettino but for differing reasons, notoriously brutal double training sessions, my way or the highway attitude. Im not sure any of that would fly with the established RM dressing room prima donnas, especially coming from a manager that has won nothing.

He cant just walk into the dressing room and ship out a bunch of players that dont fit his philosophy like he could do at Spurs. Also motivating the 30+ superstar crowd to do brutal double training sessions would be a hard sell, young players looking to break into the team by all means. Established superstars? Not sure, some might knuckle down, others might get their backs up.
Indeed. Or any other “progressive” manager whose name is being put forward here. Jose’s United is officially the laziest side in the PL; even he managed to fall out with some players at RM.

If the short-term objective (and what other type is there for most clubs) is to wring the absolute maximum out of the current squad, the ideal choice aside from Allegri seems to be Ancelotti. Granted he’s just signed up with Napoli, but according to the Caf contracts mean nothing when RM come calling (see posts re Pochettino :smirk:).

StillPlayingFooty

Supports
Liverpool FC
You're right.

But some opposition fans on here don't like it because it destroys their preferred narrative - namely that Spurs are about to implode due to an exodus of players/manager. (Never mind that we hear the same story every summer, tho' it never pans out as predicted).

According to such fans, the star players at Spurs are virtual prisoners on starvation wages and can't wait to jump ship, whilst the manager will be gone in flash when RM come calling ... and they hate it when their wishful-thinking delusions are exposed.

That's your fear and their hope.

To an extent this is also Liverpool's problem. United are not immune to this either with De Gea.

We all hope Real will raid the rival club, so they wil be weaker and the Moloch will be satisfied with those sacrifices for a year. Tribal stuff...

Last edited:

RoyH1

He’s highly strung and falls out with people.

Good manager, but would be a disaster at coping with Madrid’s prima donnas.
Can picture the first time he tells Ramos or Cristiano that they're not doing it right. :lol:

The problem with being demanding is that you have to exude authority and communicate right. SAF had both in spades and probably more than any other manager I know of.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Virtually all of your posts drip with derision and a quite inflated view of United's place in the current scheme of things.

Are United really any closer than Spurs to winning the next league title or the Champions League? No. And yet you've spent a fortune since Fergie retired. So what's your convenient excuse?

Your desperation to claim United as still "one of the big boys" shines through, as ever. But these days, on the football pitch, there is no equal-par footing between United and the likes of Barca, Real Madrid, Juventus, Bayern and City. So why don't you climb down from your high horse and face this truth squarely in the face?
That's the thing, we don't want one and we don't need one. We have been shoddy and a significant portion of fans aren't happy.

Edit: Also the big difference between Real Madrid and other clubs is that the challenge is to win a major title every year, literally every year. It doesn't matter who you are and how much you spend, it's a huge challenge.

Last edited:

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
Why are Spurs fans esp this Glaston guy so insecure? Please get real dude. If Real Madrid really want your manager, there is absolutely no chance he would stay on at Spurs. Managing Real Madrid is the pinnacle of every football manager's dream. Spurs is just a yoyo club who flatter to deceive.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.

Obviously we are closer to title than you. You finished behind us this season didn't you? By the same logic you were spouting out last season that Spurs are the second best club in the country belittling our Europa league triumph.

The truth is, it's easy to kick someone when they are already down. If you believe this is the best Utd can offer with the players they have, then that's wishful thinking. You are comparing a well oiled machine in Spurs to a team of underperforming individuals of utd. Having said that, Utd have still managed to win things regardless of how minute a trophy is whereas spurs being at their level best in years have managed to win feck all.

At United, even though they achieved their highest position in post SAF era (matching your only good achievement) are just content. Whereas at Spurs, this is a sign of great progress. Its more like you face the truth rather than calling others out.

Primativ

Supports
Tottenham
:lol: I’m sorry to disappoint you but your ship has sailed after Leicester season, you won’t get close to winning a thing in the next couple of years with quality of teams and managers around.
Nice Crystal Ball you have there. Who exactly are these quality teams and managers around? I only really see City as a team who have a bit about them. Last season Spurs beat United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal. Sorry to disappoint you but your ship sailed when Ferguson retired. See what I did there..that's right. It's rubbish.

Exactly. I'm not sure what planet people are on with Zidane. He certainly hasn't yet shown enough to be considered a world class coach. He manages Real Madrid with a squad full of world class elite talent. Ronaldo, Bale, Modric, Ramos, Marcelo etc etc Yes he won the CL 3 times, amazing, but I just don't see Zidane replicating success anywhere else. I'm not trying to take anything away from Zidane, but he was a figure head at Madrid, not a training ground coach. He couldn't have done what Poch has done at Spurs, which is pretty much transform the club from top to bottom.

Eh? Spurs fans can never "expect" titles. Do you not realise that the majority of the time, the clubs who spend the most money win the league? You say don't argue about net spend, yet it's a proven fact that how much a club spends dictates the likelyhood of winning trophies. We would all like to pretend it doesn't matter, that it's a level playing field, but it isn't. It's no surprise City won the league, look at how much they've spent just on defenders. City have spent more on CBs in the last three years than Spurs have on their entire squad. Yet you say Spurs fans should expect titles? Only if you are a moron would you think that. Is it any surprise that the two clubs who spent the most money finished in the top 2 places? For Spurs to finish 3rd above clubs who spend more money like Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea is excellent. For Spurs to expect to win the title, we'd need a billionaire to use us as a play thing, like what happened at City or Chelsea. United are unique as they spend what they make, but what they make and are able to spend is monsterous compared to Spurs. Really you should look at your own club, because for the money you are spending you aren't getting the best return right now.

I've been thinking this for a while but this post has confirmed it.

You're the worst opposition poster on this forum.
Nice. Can't say I've noticed you at all.

Kane, Alli and Eriksen have ALL signed new contracts. Announced soon. All three are being paid as high as they'd get anywhere else.

Primativ

Supports
Tottenham
Why are Spurs fans esp this Glaston guy so insecure? Please get real dude. If Real Madrid really want your manager, there is absolutely no chance he would stay on at Spurs. Managing Real Madrid is the pinnacle of every football manager's dream. Spurs is just a yoyo club who flatter to deceive.
Yet that is exactly what happened. Madrid want Poch and Poch is staying at Spurs. Go figure.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Your greatest achievement in the past 50 years is finishing third in a two-horse race. Your club is very much irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Pretty ironic that you're the one telling others to get off their high horses.

Primativ

Supports
Tottenham
Your greatest achievement in the past 50 years is finishing third in a two-horse race. Your club is very much irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Pretty ironic that you're the one telling others to get off their high horses.
Expect it isn't is it? We finished 2nd two seasons ago which is better than finishing 3rd three seasons ago. I think our best achievement of the last 50 years is though is Chas and Dave getting to number 1.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham

Let's imagine that Burnley finish in the EL three times in a row, will people start saying; 'how long can Burnley be happy with just finishing in the Europa League? If I was a Burnley fan, they should at least target some cups. Sean Dyche is an embarrassment, even Leicester won the league' and so on?

For me, this is the exact same argument. Yes, Spurs have some good players, but as a squad we've been lacking in depth, especially until this last season. I will say this is not enough when we are not performing well based on what resources we have, we were in 4 competitions last year, 3 of them I'd argue we performed well in.
League: Finished 3rd, if we weren't challenging with you guys, Liverpool, Chelsea I would say 'this is not good enough'
CL:
If we lost to a poor team playing bad football (like last season) then it wouldn't have been good enough, but we played well against Juve and could have gone either way. Disappointed, but not something I would blame anyone for.
FA Cup: Same as above
Legue Cup: Same as above; and this was truly poor - losing a 2 goal lead to West Ham, was not good enough.

We have good players, great players even, but so do our competitors. I'm not saying that our squad is better than United or City or perhaps even Chelsea or Liverpool with the sudden emergence of Salah. City got the best squad, after that it's more or less a wash imo based on form etc.

For me, what is disappointed is that we have lost 2 semi finals against Chelsea and United in games we could've won. This is something that will need to improve, just like our games against the top 6 and European campaign had to improve the year before (which it did). If we continue to fall short in semi finals against comparable opposition such as Juve and yourself next year I will be disappointed.

In regards to Spurs v United and net spend I'd say our first 11 are comparable, which is why I was disappointed in losing the CL semi. However, while United should be disappointed that we have a comparable first 11, Spurs should be proud of it. Just like United should be proud that their 11 won on the day and Spurs should be disappointed.

Sorry for a long and messy post, guess I just poured my thoughts as they came to me. :)

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Title: Real, discussion: Spurs. Weird?
Yeah true... I'll stick to the thread from now on and ignore the spurs digs.

I think they will give it to an experienced manager like Conte for a season like a previous poster said. This gives them a year to consider more carefully who they want as they inevitably need to replace a lot of key components of their team.

edit; Conte is still at Chelsea? Anyone know what's going on there?

Havak

Pokemon master

Agree somewhat, but I think you have to count Kyle Walker as a big loss surely? Obviously, he's a right back so wasn't your 'best' player, but I think it's a bit different now because you finally have multiple 'very good' players. Kane seems unlikely to leave right now as he's a very good professional and clearly wants to help Spurs win things (will have to see how long that can last, mind you). However, if Eriksen, Alli, Alderweireld, Rose etc leave you can't just use the argument that your 'best' player hasn't left for years now. Kane has a different mind-set to most of your other 'best' players, for now. I think what people are more trying to say, is that Tottenham's 'better' players will probably continue to leave when the wages and trophies just don't match up to what they can get elsewhere.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Feck Spurs, can we get back to the next possible Real Madrid manager?

So it Klopp in the frame? Or do people think Guti may get the nod?

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Fair fecks to Pocchetino if he chooses spurs over madrid.

As for all the 'lack of ambition' comments - Such tripe, and a poor reflection on the muppetry of modern fans who think that transfer fees and size of the trophy cabinet are the only units of measurement in football. A reflection, I suppose, of united having a sizeable population of unapologetic glory hunters in the fanbase.

I'd love for him to join Madrid as I think a lot of spurs staying power hinges on him, but I can well understand that there may be more satisfaction for him in his current position where he has autonomy, longterm prospects and can rightfully say that whatever achievements he accomplishes will bear his mark. Choosing to stay with the loving wife over a one night stand with a hot bitch is a legitimate choice.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Feck Spurs, can we get back to the next possible Real Madrid manager?

So it Klopp in the frame? Or do people think Guti may get the nod?
Scratch that - Guti's off to St Mirren if you believe the press up here.

Guti in fecking Paisley.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information

As for all the 'lack of ambition' comments - Such tripe, and a poor reflection on the muppetry of modern fans who think that transfer fees and size of the trophy cabinet are the only units of measurement in football. A reflection, I suppose, of united having a sizeable population of unapologetic glory hunters in the fanbase.

I'd love for him to join Madrid as I think a lot of spurs staying power hinges on him, but I can well understand that there may be more satisfaction for him in his current position where he has autonomy, longterm prospects and can rightfully say that whatever achievements he accomplishes will bear his mark. Choosing to stay with the loving wife over a one night stand with a hot bitch is a legitimate choice.
Ironic given the number of oddball middle-aged gloryhunters Liverpool have.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United

I guess that's the difference between the elite clubs and the top clubs. Teams such as Liverpool and Spurs would settle with what they've achieved over the last 10-15 years and wouldn't mind if that continued for the unforeseen future.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
I guess you haven't been following developments that closely.