Next United Manager: Pep Guardiola?

Status
Not open for further replies.

imperi

I can understand why Pep would be furious, this would never have happened on Dr. Fuentes' watch.
:D

On a serious note however, wouldnt surprise me if Pep gets the sack because of this. Bullying a legend out of the club with this lack of respect, while lacking decent results will get you fired. The general concensus on the Bayern forums is that people would trade back WM for Pep in a heart beat

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I really hope it isn't giggs to take over, he might know the club but he has 0 managerial credentials, if he does want to become boss he needs to go elsewhere and prove he has what it takes to be coach.

Look how that went for ole, Keane, Bruce etc.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I really hope it isn't giggs to take over, he might know the club but he has 0 managerial credentials, if he does want to become boss he needs to go elsewhere and prove he has what it takes to be coach.

It's obvious he wants the job one day, but his best hope of getting it immediately succeeding van Gaal because I don't think he'd do well away from United.

walkinhop

Well Moyes managed to do well with Everton on a budget. We all know how it ended with us don't we? Some managers are magnificent with the small clubs. They can spot a decent talent from miles away, they are patient with kids and they are capable to build some defensive sound sides who are difficult to crack. However put them under pressure of having to win some real silverware and face world class players and they melt like ice cream in the Sahara desert. We all remember the 'why cant you play like Jaglieka?' argument towards Rio dont we? Not to forget Moyes face when he finally some silverware. Inspiring isn't it?

Others are suited for the big clubs. Pressure doesn't effect them, they thrive to be in the spotlight and have a knack in dealing with people with great egos. If you sent them to manage Everton they would resign immediately because the club is boring, their ambition is crap and they cant attract the players to reach the top spot.

I think i might have expressed myself in the wrong way. I meant to say that he doesn't strike me as a coach that can overhaul and elevate a club to the next level. He is more like someone who you bring to fine tune an already great squad.

Telcontar

I don't want to bring up quotes from a few pages back, but just wanted to say again that I really dislike and do not rate Pep at all. I don't think that wining "La Liga' is much of a feat anyways, if you are Real Madrid or Barcelona. For years it's a league where two teams compete, and others serve to fill in the numbers. Kudos for Simeone and Atletico for winning title, I hope they win 10 more.

So that brings us to 2 CL titles. With such a dominant team, one can argue that it was expected of him to win even more. Also there were quite a few dubious referee decisions that went Barcelona's way. I still think that they were very luck that Hargreaves got injured, otherwise I firmly believe we would win the CL in the first final. I staded on numerous occasions on this forum, that I think the lack of Hargreaves / Fletcher in those matches was the reason why Barca won, not because they were so much better than us.

The last thing, in other gams, both with Barcelona, and especially at Bayern, Pep has shown that he simply can't rid himself of at least partly playing the boring tika-taka. He was overrun, on two occasions in two years, while having at least team of the same quality as his opponents. So I believe that he is not tactically gifted, nor suited to lead a big team. Also I don't trust his record when it comes to promoting and nurturing academy products. On top of that his transfer record is also not that fantastic either.

On the other hand, I do think he develops a good relationship with players and his man management skills are good (but not fantastic).

I don't doubt he can win a league in Bundesliga, which sadly becomes more and more a one-horse race. I also believe he would achieve domestic glory if he goes to teams like United, City, etc. He may win CL with City, given the amount of players he can bring on. But I certanly don't want him, or see him fit in United. Neither I believe he will ever achieve dominance he had with Barcelona. I firmly believe that likes of SAF, Mourinho, Heynckess, Klopp....

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I don't want to bring up quotes from a few pages back, but just wanted to say again that I really dislike and do not rate Pep at all. I don't think that wining "La Liga' is much of a feat anyways, if you are Real Madrid or Barcelona. For years it's a league where two teams compete, and others serve to fill in the numbers. Kudos for Simeone and Atletico for winning title, I hope they win 10 more.

So that brings us to 2 CL titles. With such a dominant team, one can argue that it was expected of him to win even more. Also there were quite a few dubious referee decisions that went Barcelona's way. I still think that they were very luck that Hargreaves got injured, otherwise I firmly believe we would win the CL in the first final. I staded on numerous occasions on this forum, that I think the lack of Hargreaves / Fletcher in those matches was the reason why Barca won, not because they were so much better than us.

The last thing, in other gams, both with Barcelona, and especially at Bayern, Pep has shown that he simply can't rid himself of at least partly playing the boring tika-taka. He was overrun, on two occasions in two years, while having at least team of the same quality as his opponents. So I believe that he is not tactically gifted, nor suited to lead a big team. Also I don't trust his record when it comes to promoting and nurturing academy products. On top of that his transfer record is also not that fantastic either.

On the other hand, I do think he develops a good relationship with players and his man management skills are good (but not fantastic).

I don't doubt he can win a league in Bundesliga, which sadly becomes more and more a one-horse race. I also believe he would achieve domestic glory if he goes to teams like United, City, etc. He may win CL with City, given the amount of players he can bring on. But I certanly don't want him, or see him fit in United. Neither I believe he will ever achieve dominance he had with Barcelona. I firmly believe that likes of SAF, Mourinho, Heynckess, Klopp....
United were dominant under Ferguson and they only won the Champions League twice, and those carried a touch of fortune, so winning the Champions League with a quality side is not as easy as the Pep haters would have you belive. You do however make your own luck as some might say. He hates tiki taka as well btw. As for the "boring'' part, the 6-2 win at the Bernabeu when he was Barcelona manager was far from boring, the 5-0 win vs a Mourinho managed Madrid which had some brilliant players in that side featured some amazing football. When his style comes off, the football on display is brilliant.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Pep's actions in that applauding stuff aren't great but it appears to be forgotten by a few that he's doing it because he demands the best, at all times.

They're pi$$ing on the Bundesliga and look like a domestic double is a real possibility too. Yes, the result vs Porto midweek wasn't great but it can still be overturned. They may even still be slight favourites all told.

The standards of the man and refusal to accept certain circumstances that he felt could have been prevented from impacting on performance, are to be welcomed at a club like Manchester United. He's exactly what we need and should want from any manager.

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
When his style comes off, the football on display is brilliant.
Yes it is. But what about the actual strength? That's not necessarily the same as brilliance. I think that level of performance wasn't very special relative to the quality of the players. He could have done more with them, and it could have been more convincing, especially in not needing a lot of remarkable decisions from the referees.

prarek

Pep's actions in that applauding stuff aren't great but it appears to be forgotten by a few that he's doing it because he demands the best, at all times.

They're pi$$ing on the Bundesliga and look like a domestic double is a real possibility too. Yes, the result vs Porto midweek wasn't great but it can still be overturned. They may even still be slight favourites all told.

The standards of the man and refusal to accept certain circumstances that he felt could have been prevented from impacting on performance, are to be welcomed at a club like Manchester United. He's exactly what we need and should want from any manager.
He wasn't even applauding his medical staff. He was looking at his assistant coaches Germant and Torrent.

Hit It

I think the general conception of Giggs being manager is he's too soft, lacks the personality and is not really the leader type. All that may be true but it doesn't mean he can't manage Manchester United.

What he needs to do now is get those coaching badges under his belt, develop a philosophy of the way he thinks United should play, build on that and have it ready before LVG leaves. I don't believe he should be handed the job just because he is legend for the club. He needs to prove that his plan, his methods will continue to make United successful.

I don't think he needs to go and manage another club to get experience because he has already learnt from the best in Sir Alex Ferguson and is now currently under the wing of LVG whose showing him another style of football. Even the David Moyes disaster will have taught him a few things like the pressure when your loosing, player egos, handling the media. All this will hold him in good stead and hopefully at the end it, he is one of the few candidates considered for the job.

Moriarty

I think the general conception of Giggs being manager is he's too soft, lacks the personality and is not really the leader type. All that may be true but it doesn't mean he can't manage Manchester United.

What he needs to do now is get those coaching badges under his belt, develop a philosophy of the way he thinks United should play, build on that and have it ready before LVG leaves. I don't believe he should be handed the job just because he is legend for the club. He needs to prove that his plan, his methods will continue to make United successful.

I don't think he needs to go and manage another club to get experience because he has already learnt from the best in Sir Alex Ferguson and is now currently under the wing of LVG whose showing him another style of football. Even the David Moyes disaster will have taught him a few things like the pressure when your loosing, player egos, handling the media. All this will hold him in good stead and hopefully at the end it, he is one of the few candidates considered for the job.
All very true, but he needs to put this into practice and develop his own style of management. Better he does this at another club.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I get what you mean but Learning under someone's guidence whilst still a player without pressure is one thing but actually being the manager is another, I know he's probably picked up tips from arguabley the greatest manager ever and he will be picking up stuff from LVG too but I'd rather he went away to a club in the championship or something and put his own philosphy into practise there if he's successful then fine but what if he completely fails much like keano, ole Gunnar, Steve Bruce, paul ince, I'd rather he fail at another club than at United.

if he does take over from LVG what happens if his tactics completely fail and we are left in a moyes position or worse, will the fans start turning on a club legend like him? Let's be honest nobody wants that but it will happen. Which then makes the whole thing become awkward.

It's similar to chelsea randomly giving the managers job to John terry or arsenal giving it to Thierry Henry or liverpool giving it to gerrard, there's absolutley nothing that suggests to me that those players should even be considered for the postion and they probably won't ever be, so why is giggs?

Don't get me wrong Id love giggs to become a manager of us for years but as of right now it would be one of the worst decisions the club could ever make IMO.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks

I would be very disappointed if Giggs is given the job after LVG. Just because he played under Sir Frogie for 20 years it doesn't mean that he can apply everything he's learned from watching. Giving Giggs' the job would be a massive risk for the club and one that we really don't need to take. There's plenty of managers out there who have proven their credentials with the work they have done at their previous/current clubs like Simeone at Atletico, Klopp at Dortmund, Pep at Barca and perhaps Bayern depending on how it goes, Conte at Juventus etc. and they should all be held above Giggs when considering the United job.

Giggs' does seem desperate for the manager job at United and I say this because it seems like the case from the interviews he gave when he was temp manager and the stuff his friend Scholes comes out with these days. If he really wants the job he should go somewhere else and prove himself first. Let him have his success and failures away from United and grow as a manager. The alternative could be him getting the job far too early and struggling and destroying any potential for him getting the job when he is actually ready.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
I agree with most of your post above @Attila but, for me, being 'desperate' for the job is a good thing. We don't want a half-hearted individual managing our club.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Well, he'd have a point regarding our medical team, I guess. *

* Realizing the joke's been made but not arsed to read the whole thread.

Also, no - I don't want Pep. Just...no. Something about him. He reminds me of a sort of bloke you...nah, can't be arsed to explain it at the moment. Bit of a twat, that's all. High-strung sort of twat.

Asger

I hope he will never be our manager.. Its just my opinion but I think he is a little bit overrated... It shouldn't be difficult to win trophy's with both Barcelona and Bayern Munchen! Hopefully his next job will be for some club and has to build the team up. Not another team with only world class players..

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
Giggs would be a disaster of Moyes' proportions. Anyone but Giggs until he proves himself on his own, with Guardiola being first in line.

Give it Pep till end of the t'decade.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
feck me sideways up down. There are people that don't want Pep as manager, just because he only manage big clubs succesfuly, or not being so nice manager.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
feck me sideways up and down. There are people that don't want Pep as manager, just because he only manage big clubs (successfully), or for not being so nice manager.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I hope he will never be our manager.. Its just my opinion but I think he is a little bit overrated... It shouldn't be difficult to win trophy's with both Barcelona and Bayern Munchen! Hopefully his next job will be for some club and has to build the team up. Not another team with only world class players..
Jesus you could level that at Mourinho, Ancelotti, heck even Ferguson if you wanted to as well.

Ryan7

He didn't inherit the fantastic Barcelona side that many think he did, myself included at first. I myself thought for a long time Pep was overrated but someone in the newbies recommended I read 'Another Way Of Winning' by Guillem Balague. I know opinions are split on Balague on this forum but he wrote a fantastic book. I recommend to read it, I'm pretty sure your opinion of him would change drastically.

I'd love Pep as our next manager. It's also unfair to say it's not difficult to win trophies with the aforementioned teams, like Mitchell said above me, you can level it at every manager who's had success at top clubs.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
First of all I want success and enjoyable football from Manchester United.
I find Van Gaals football the last few weeks/months very entertaining.
Apart from individual performances by players like Messi, Xavi, Busquets, Iniesta etc, i never really liked watching Barcelona, despite admiring them for their results and what seemed like a very stable group of people.

This stuff about Guardiola and the medical staff over there means very little for me wanting him or not.
I didn't want Moyes, never thought he was good enough but tried to stick by him for a bit.
I didn't want LvG as I was afraid it would be too possession oriented. (obviously haven't watched a lot of what he has coached)
I wanted football like Bayern Munchen played under Heynckes, and to be fair to LvG, entertaining-wise he has started to deliver.

I don't want Guardiola for the same reasons as i didn't want LvG, it has nothing to do with the episodes over the years as the football on the pitch & winning is what i care most about. That said he might as well end up a bit more direct, like LvG surprisingly was for me now that things seem to have settled a bit.
If he does that, then I'd love to have him as our manager.

The part about style, being direct and having a good pressing-game was the reason I wanted Klopp.
I still want Klopp, but I understand he hasn't done very well this year (along with the rest of the team) so I'm not going bombastic and saying he would be the only option for me, any top manager willing (and capable) to dominate and be direct when attacking (and be successful) is something I'd welcome after LvG ends his reign.

As always at these times i feel obligated to say that my ramblings and potentially bad English is down to the morphine (and tons of other drugs), though I believe things came out well in this post.

Ryan7

First of all I want success and enjoyable football from Manchester United.
I find Van Gaals football the last few weeks/months very entertaining.
Apart from individual performances by players like Messi, Xavi, Busquets, Iniesta etc, i never really liked watching Barcelona, despite admiring them for their results and what seemed like a very stable group of people.

This stuff about Guardiola and the medical staff over there means very little for me wanting him or not.
I didn't want Moyes, never thought he was good enough but tried to stick by him for a bit.
I didn't want LvG as I was afraid it would be too possession oriented. (obviously haven't watched a lot of what he has coached)
I wanted football like Bayern Munchen played under Heynckes, and to be fair to LvG, entertaining-wise he has started to deliver.

I don't want Guardiola for the same reasons as i didn't want LvG, it has nothing to do with the episodes over the years as the football on the pitch & winning is what i care most about. That said he might as well end up a bit more direct, like LvG surprisingly was for me now that things seem to have settled a bit.
If he does that, then I'd love to have him as our manager.

The part about style, being direct and having a good pressing-game was the reason I wanted Klopp.
I still want Klopp, but I understand he hasn't done very well this year (along with the rest of the team) so I'm not going bombastic and saying he would be the only option for me, any top manager willing (and capable) to dominate and be direct when attacking (and be successful) is something I'd welcome after LvG ends his reign.

As always at these times i feel obligated to say that my ramblings and potentially bad English is down to the morphine (and tons of other drugs), though I believe things came out well in this post.
Your English is fine. ;) Woodward is a Klopp fan, I believe he was quoted praising him back last year so he'd maybe be in the running. Although that depends on where Klopp's next managerial job will be.

I still have a gut feeling Giggs will get the job after van Gaal, however.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
If you like passing football,possession,combinations, then Guardiola is perfect. It would mean a revolution in the club and the recruitment of young british players. Those who prefer a more direct style, tell them when you see United playing a tiki taka well done, showing a overwhelming superiority over other teams , then I think you will change your idea.
His faults in my opinion, is too radical in his ideas, He should try to adapt to Bayern philosophy in another way. I think that he´d love the job in the near future

Unlikely lad

If you like passing football,possession,combinations, then Guardiola is perfect. It would mean a revolution in the club and the recruitment of young british players. Those who prefer a more direct style, tell them when you see United playing a tiki taka well done, showing a overwhelming superiority over other teams , then I think you will change your idea.
His faults in my opinion, is too radical in his ideas, He should try to adapt to Bayern philosophy in another way. I think that he´d love the job in the near future
Has he actually been bringing in young German players at Bayern?

Unlikely lad

:lol: you got me there.
Wasn't trying to catch you out! Genuinely wondered if he was bringing in any German talent; I assume he isn't then?

I must say I've not been impressed with what he's done with Bayern in the CL these last 2 seasons. I mean, he has got some great victories under his belt, but some performances have just been plain weird.

Sam

Whats happened to him? He's absolutely mental thesedays :lol:

I don't remember him being quite like this at Barca.

RedRover

People need to remember that the success at Barcelona under Guardiola was not solely down to him. They have a well entrenched system which is based on the Ajax model, and have Johann Cruyff to thank for that. They play the same way from being kids so that if they reach the required level they can slot into the senior sides.

Guardiola is as much a product of the system as anything else. He came through as a player and then as a coach. When he left he was repalced with another manager who played in a similar way and now they have another ex player in Enrique who's doing a good job and might win a league and CL double before the season is out.

Lets be honest - Guardiola did very well at Barca, but he inherited a great side with a number of great individual players. He deserves credit but he didnt "revolutionise" Barcelona from the ground up so the suggestion that he'd do that here (or anywhere else for that matter) and turn a club into a Barca-esque set up producing talent through the academy every year is based on no real cogent evidence.

I personally think that as good a coach as he is the jury is out to a degree on whether he's the wonder coach that a lot think he is. He's taken over a very good side at Bayern. Winning the league is a minium requirement given the talent they have and in reality he's not taken them further than the last coach as it stands. He needs to win the CL this year because last year he was tactically out thought by Ancellotti last year.

I also think he potentially doesn't deal with pressure that well. He walked from Barca when Mourinho cranked things up and this carry on with the medical staff at Bayern is a real black mark for me. He seems like a bloke who doesn't neccessarily need football in his life - hence the rolling contract situation which creates uncertainty.

Last edited:

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form

This article from Raf Honigstein is about Klopp but there are interesting side notes half way down relating to Pep favouring United over City...

In Munich, they hope that the fact that Guardiola's family is very settled in the city might yet convince the Catalan to stick around a bit longer. There are also whispers that he'd personally prefer to coach in London or at Old Trafford rather than at Manchester City.

Could he be the heir to Louis Van Gaal for a third time after the Dutchman retires in 2017? That timeframe would certainly suit Bayern but they're not naive enough to live in hope. CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge said that "life will go on" without Guardiola during their tour of China in the summer and strangely, the manager reacted angrily to that platitude and made no attempt to hide his annoyance.

Why he got upset isn't entirely clear. If you were about to break up with your partner, wouldn't you be secretly relieved that they were ready to move on? More than two years into his stay in Bavaria, the locals still struggle to fully understand what makes him tick. Whereas the culture of the club is all about open and frank discussions, Guardiola often uses confidantes and advisers to speak on his behalf.
:drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.