g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Next United Manager: Pep Guardiola?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
LvG has said Giggs will be next, Fergie has said Giggs will be next (ish).
While I'd be very happy with Guardiola, I just can't see it happening.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
From what I have seen, Pep is obviously a possession type manager, which would be fine as the transition would be easier from LVG.

Although I know what Pep is about to an extent, how much different is he from LVG?
If the tactics are the same, I can't be assed with this boring football we play week in, week out. Now I know you are gonna tell me he is much more direct while keeping possession, but how much different is he compared to LVG?

I'd love the whole story of Giggs taking over and winning things with us, but I'd much rather take a less risky approach and sign a proven winner
He's pretty much the same as van Gaal in that he favours ball retention as his method of dominating football matches. The problem is with people on the caf they are only looking at Utds football now and using that to base their whole opinion on possession football. If you want to see what Utd will play like in 2-3 years then look at Barcelona and Bayern. Those two teams are the best in the world at possession football and no one can really say they are boring to watch, that's the level that Utd need to get to and if/when we do we won't be complaining about our style anymore, that's for sure.

Hammerfell

The fact that all the noise suggests Giggs taking over has given me a strangely certain feeling that he won't get the job. It doesn't make sense, and probably isn't particularly rational, but goodness do I hope someone else (Pep please) gets the gig.

Mister_Stubbs

If Giggs gets the job over Pep...
The worry is that now Liverpool who have Klopp turn it up a notch or two, Chelsea and Jose will turn it around and City could end up with Pep whilst we have Giggs in charge.. We'd look like utter fools.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
I personally think he'll end up in London or at a City. Purely because those jobs will likely come up first. Chelsea may part ways with Jose this summer and Pep would fit the attractive football that Roman Abramovich wants.
Pep's always seemed to be kind of a "good guy" (if that was possible in today's football arena) and I don't see him going to Chelsea/City/PSG as they are seen as the "villains" of top-level teams aren't they.

If his next move is the prem, I think it would only be for Arsenal or United.

Mojo_

its more fun being a feeder
Got excited until I saw the age of the thread :(

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
The worry is that now Liverpool who have Klopp turn it up a notch or two, Chelsea and Jose will turn it around and City could end up with Pep whilst we have Giggs in charge.. We'd look like utter fools.
You can be sure that even if we finish between 6th and 10th consistently for 3-4 years Giggs will be kept because he's a project and a lot of fans will still back him because given enough time every single manager on Earth will turn good (as it was uttered a lot of time with Smug Dave).

Adebesi

He also knows the club inside out. He knows what it means to play for the club. He learned on the knee of the greatest manager of all time.

Compare that to the rather measly achievements of Guardiola. He would need a map to find his way around the club. He knows nothing about the traditions of the club. And not only did he never play under the greatest manager of all time, he didnt even understand the few conversations they did have. So it is literally impossible for any of SAF's wonderdust to have sprinkled on him - he knows nothing of SAF's wisdom.

Question234

If Pep ends up at City because they get shot of their current choice before we lose Van Gaal (why Klopp is now at Liverpool etc) then once Van Gaal retires.......we are screwed. Perhaps Carlo Ancelotti?.
id be all for letting lvg go at the end of this year if we are thorphyless and haven't improved.

I don't dislike him but mufc cannot afford to let ancelotti, pep, jose, and klopp all go to other big clubs by sticking with lvg for another year imo.

Question234

He also knows the club inside out. He knows what it means to play for the club. He learned on the knee of the greatest manager of all time.

Compare that to the rather measly achievements of Guardiola. He would need a map to find his way around the club. He knows nothing about the traditions of the club. And not only did he never play under the greatest manager of all time, he didnt even understand the few conversations they did have. So it is literally impossible for any of SAF's wonderdust to have sprinkled on him - he knows nothing of SAF's wisdom.
he doesn't need it. He's a treble winner and has an amazing footballing philosophy. There's no rush anyway, why not let him try and manage a club or the reserve team first ?

Adebesi

he doesn't need it. He's a treble winner and has an amazing footballing philosophy. There's no rush anyway, why not let him try and manage a club or the reserve team first ?
Guardiola should have to manage a smaller English team first to prove HIMself. Why should Giggs be help to a higher standard?

Let Guardiola manage Villa and prove his worth.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
If Pep is available, we should go for him, he is the ideal man after LvG. If he decides to quit at Bayern already after this season, we should also talk with van Gaal and he could already retire after this year. Bayern did the same with Heynckes, he won the treble, but in the end you also have to think long-term. Would be nice to beat City for him too. Nothing against Giggs, but I don't think it's clever to think about another big risk appointment, while we are still in transistion period. We want back to the top, Barca/Real/Bayern level, another Moyes-level coach and we can forget that for the next few years.

Spoony

The People's President

But he's still unproven as a manager. And that's the issue. Do we take a punt? Or do we look at a more experienced manager?

Adebesi

But he's still unproven as a manager. And that's the issue. Do we take a punt? Or do we look at a more experienced manager?
Giggs?

No I am completely against giving Giggs the job. Ive posted about it extensively in the other thread explicitly looking at this question. I was being facetious above (despite knowing that wouldnt actually be obvious - which was stupid.)

Spoony

The People's President
Giggs?

No I am completely against giving Giggs the job. Ive posted about it extensively in the other thread explicitly looking at this question. I was being facetious above (despite knowing that wouldnt actually be obvious - which was stupid.)

Ahh, I didn't know your position but yeah it's a worry, almost feels like it could be a Moyes type mistake. I'd go with Pep, and give him the reigns for a few years. Klopp would've been an interesting experiment too... shame about timings eh.

DevilRed

If we were being objective then without a doubt it should be Guardiola. With another year to go for LVG, no doubt the team will be strengthened again before he arrives.

Hopefully Pep gets the 1 year extension at bayern which makes the timing perfect for us.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The word is Pep and Bayern are already discussing extending for another year. That could fit in nicely with LVG leaving.

Rich_H_1989

lost in a street fight to van gaal
Compare that to the rather measly achievements of Guardiola. He would need a map to find his way around the club. He knows nothing about the traditions of the club. And not only did he never play under the greatest manager of all time, he didnt even understand the few conversations they did have.
Sorry but I've got to pick you up on the point that I've put in bold. He was Fergies choice to succeed him. The only reason he didn't was because he didn't return Fergies call and signed for Bayern. Which to be fair you can't blame him as the chance was there for him and it's also a great club. Plus he'd have had to wait for the end of the season for Fergie to retire. So I'm not sure it's right to say he didn't understand the few conversations they did have.

Adebesi

Sorry but I've got to pick you up on the point that I've put in bold. He was Fergies choice to succeed him. The only reason he didn't was because he didn't return Fergies call and signed for Bayern. Which to be fair you can't blame him as the chance was there for him and it's also a great club. Plus he'd have had to wait for the end of the season for Fergie to retire. So I'm not sure it's right to say he didn't understand the few conversations they did have.
And that's the only hole you see in logic of that post is it?

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Ryan Giggs has done nothing to even warrant consideration for one of the biggest jobs in football. I'm sorry, but he needs to go and find his way like everyone else. Legend of the club or no...it's a ridiculous sentimental decision that should not be entertained on any single level.

Rich_H_1989

lost in a street fight to van gaal
And that's the only hole you see in logic of that post is it?
I'm torn on Giggs to be honest, have been for a while now. I can see the argument both for and against Giggs as manager. It's a risk if we hire Pep as it would be with most managers. Ancelotti may be the most sure thing given he's proven in England. But that isn't a long term answer so he's not the man IF we want stability.

I can only assume you are being sarcastic about the measly achievements of Pep?

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I'm torn on Giggs to be honest, have been for a while now. I can see the argument both for and against Giggs as manager. It's a risk if we hire Pep as it would be with most managers. Ancelotti may be the most sure thing given he's proven in England. But that isn't a long term answer so he's not the man IF we want stability.

No sane person will call Guardiola's achievements ''measly''.

Mani

Its not necessary that owners had to choose Giggs,they might take opinion from both,but if they see Pep is available then i doubt they would choose Giggs.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
What did Guardiola do to warrant the Barcelona job? Though let's be clear. It would have been very difficult to have failed at Barcelona. You would probably have to be in a straight jacket for that to be a possibility. Giggs does not have the experience - like Guardiola but like Guardiola he has the respect of the dressing room and having worked under Sir Alex, Moyes and LVG (and various international managers), let's hope he's learnt something about football.

CG1010

:lol: I think he was being sarcastic. The fact that people pick such arguments up these days shows the extent to which this debate has degraded.

Varun

Staff
What did Guardiola do to warrant the Barcelona job? Though let's be clear. It would have been very difficult to have failed at Barcelona. You would probably have to be in a straight jacket for that to be a possibility.
Manage their kids in the lower division.

CG1010

Let Guardiola manage Villa and prove his worth.
I do find this argument about Giggs a bit tedious TBH (even though I am not too keen for Giggs to take over). Giggs managing Villa would show us nothing really, just like Moyes managing Everton didn't. In fact I can see Guardiola failing if he were to manage Villa one day. I somehow don't think he would be able to adjust to the lower-club mentality.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Manage their kids in the lower division.
That means nothing. Unless people are calling for Warren Joyce over Giggs. Is that what's happening? When it comes to Guardiola, who here think's we can plan long term with him? Nothing against Guardiola but even this LVG situation is not ideal. Players want security and the confidence to express themselves. The scouts watch teams etc, Giggs can quite easily man manage i'm sure. I don't think he would be a consideration if he couldn't.

We didn't become a bad team over night. We lost our confidence and identity and other teams grew in confidence because of that. So is Guardiola a good man manager? Have no idea.

Last edited:

We need an rvn

Ryan Giggs has done nothing to even warrant consideration for one of the biggest jobs in football. I'm sorry, but he needs to go and find his way like everyone else. Legend of the club or no...it's a ridiculous sentimental decision that should not be entertained on any single level.
in complete agreement with this post.

just because you hold the record for most appearances for United, been with the club since teens etc does not mean in any way you have a right to take over the top job at our club without having proven at another club (or at reserve footbal like Pep did for numerous years) that you've got the skill to do so - be it from a tactical / man management / coaching perspective.

Love Giggs - don't want to see him as our next manager though. Disaster waiting to happen IMO

justboy68

I've had a sneaking suspicion for a long while that Pep will manage us eventually. City will go all out to get him with Begiristein on side etc, but ultimately he will choose us over them. No better time than after LVG. The team will be more used to a possession game by then and he will kick things up a notch. We'll be a sight to behold in the Premier league by that time. Same way Bayern are now in the Bundesliga.

londonredmaniac

What did Guardiola do to warrant the Barcelona job?
I've heard this many times. Though I accept your point it was a very different arena that Pep walked into, and you cannot take that as a general rule. It's like us appointing a knowledgeable experienced club official who has played no real pro football because it worked with Mourinho.

The fact is we are in a time of transition as it is, coming off the back of a couple of very uninspiring years. LVG is rebuilding and the risk of handing that over to a man with very little managerial experience is a little nutty. I'm not saying it wouldn't work or couldn't work. It's just a ridiculous risk...and just because it worked for Pep? It would be nuts IMO.

londonredmaniac

in complete agreement with this post.

just because you hold the record for most appearances for United, been with the club since teens etc does not mean in any way you have a right to take over the top job at our club without having proven at another club (or at reserve footbal like Pep did for numerous years) that you've got the skill to do so - be it from a tactical / man management / coaching perspective.

Love Giggs - don't want to see him as our next manager though. Disaster waiting to happen IMO
Quite in agreement with all of those points. Not sure it would be a disaster...but given the rebuilding we are currently doing it really is not a risk we should be entertaining.

Varun

Staff
That means nothing. Unless people are calling for Warren Joyce over Giggs. Is that what's happening? When it comes to Guardiola, who here think's we can plan long term with him? Nothing against Guardiola but even this LVG situation is not ideal. Players want security and the confidence to express themselves. The scouts watch teams etc, Giggs can quite easily man manage i'm sure. I don't think he would be a consideration if he couldn't.

We didn't become a bad team over night. We lost our confidence and identity and other teams grew in confidence because of that. So is Guardiola a good man manager? Have no idea.
Their kids don't play u21 football like ours. In any case, I don't understand the logic here. Even if Guardiola had managed at the reserve level, does his success mean Giggs will succeed too?

Adebesi

Yeah, a pretty weak effort I think.

I just typed out quite a long post but then realised it was all about Giggs and this is a Pep thread. And Ive said it all before a load of times in the other thread. So let me just say instead I think Pep would be a very good choice for us if we can get him.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
What did Guardiola do to warrant the Barcelona job? Though let's be clear. It would have been very difficult to have failed at Barcelona. You would probably have to be in a straight jacket for that to be a possibility. Giggs does not have the experience - like Guardiola but like Guardiola he has the respect of the dressing room and having worked under Sir Alex, Moyes and LVG (and various international managers), let's hope he's learnt something about football.
I don't like the Guardiola/Giggs comparisons as their respective routes to the throne were different. In 2007, Guardiola met with Txiki Begiristain to discuss a role at the club. The ''Giggs route'' of being the assistant wasn't available, Txiki wanted Pep to run La Masia, Guardiola wanted to manage the B side that had just been relegated to the third tier. He moved many players on , got those he kept to win with style and got them promoted up a division.

By the time Rijkaard was sacked, Cruyff, (basically Laporta's adviser) Laporta and Begiristain all agreed that Guardiola had shown enough that he could take charge of the first team. They had all at different times seen the B side and were impressed by what they saw. It was a a risk, it worked, but lightning may not strike twice in this regard.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
But, but, but.....

Also worth noting Zidane is serving a similar apprenticeship and will most likely take the reigns at Real without having done anything of note managerially, unless people think averaging 2 points a game in the spanish second division is a better education that being assistant to a team playing at the highest level domestically and in Europe, alongside a manager who has been successful everywhere he has been.

Status
Not open for further replies.