Next United Manager: Pep Guardiola?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
No I didn't :cool:.
Anyway Tuchel's football is somewhat similar to Pep's. possession based but more direct & through ball, especially when his team doesn't win the ball, they press like maniacs something I want to see United play.
I agree, he seems to be a talented coach and I like the way his Mainz team used to play.

Question234

I don't see city getting rid of Pellegrini yet. He's doing a good job for the, and the Football they are playing is very easy on the eye.

Question is, if Pep was available this summer, do we take a chance and get rid of LVG and get Pep in?
If it means losing out on him in the future than yes.

As many have said MUFC cannot afford to miss out on pep, jose and ancelotti by sticking with LVG for another year imo.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
If it means losing out on him in the future than yes.

As many have said MUFC cannot afford to miss out on pep, jose and ancelotti by sticking with LVG for another year imo.
Same for City. If he wants to come we "reassign" Pellegrini.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Who said it was made years ago?
City sounded him out when he wanted out of Barcelona but he wanted time out and Mancini was a fan fave so they went seperate ways. After our disappointing season in 14/15 the question arose again especially as Pep was getting heat after a subpar end to that season with Bayern.

I don't claim to know whether the agreement is fact or press talk but it has been widely reported.
IF it is fact then Pep would be a shit to then join United.
He didn't get any heat from within the club. But that's not really the point. None of that explains why he'd make a gentleman's agreement instead of just leaving the decision open. And why City also extended Pellegrini's contract earlier than necessary. If the only reason to do that was to detract from the deal with Pep, it's the worst decision ever made. It's not possible to keep an already fixed deal with Pep under wraps anyway and now you have to pay off Pellegrini to get out of the contract.

There's really nothing that makes sense about that gentleman's agreement. Of course it doesn't mean that he won't sign for City next summer, that's possible. It's also possible that he already made his decision and there are contract negotiations under way right now, either to extend at Bayern or to sign for a new club. But then his decision is based on what he wants right now, that's it. The notion that he would prefer to work for United, but won't take over there because he doesn't want to offend his friends at City makes zero sense to me. What's next, he can't take over at Arsenal, because it would hurt Pedro's feelings at Chelsea? Other than the emotional connection to Barca, which means he'll never work at Real, the football world is wide open for him.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
He didn't get any heat from within the club. But that's not really the point. None of that explains why he'd make a gentleman's agreement instead of just leaving the decision open. And why City also extended Pellegrini's contract earlier than necessary. If the only reason to do that was to detract from the deal with Pep, it's the worst decision ever made. It's not possible to keep an already fixed deal with Pep under wraps anyway and now you have to pay off Pellegrini to get out of the contract.

There's really nothing that makes sense about that gentleman's agreement. Of course it doesn't mean that he won't sign for City next summer, that's possible. It's also possible that he already made his decision and there are contract negotiations under way right now, either to extend at Bayern or to sign for a new club. But then his decision is based on what he wants right now, that's it. The notion that he would prefer to work for United, but won't take over there because he doesn't want to offend his friends at City makes zero sense to me. What's next, he can't take over at Arsenal, because it would hurt Pedro's feelings at Chelsea? Other than the emotional connection to Barca, which means he'll never work at Real, the football world is wide open for him.
I can't seem to get through to you the fact that I don't know if this Gentlemans Agreement exists or not.
If it does (as has been reported more than once by credible sources not some kid on Twitter) then Pep should honour it.
City extended Mancinis contract but sacked him 6 months later so could happen to Pelle but more likely to reassign him somewhere else in the City Football Group rather than just kick him out. If Pep goes elsewhere then Pelle stays unless the season implodes.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I am absolutely certain that if we got Giggs and he had us finishing around 5th or 6th consistently we wouldn't fire him because of his affiliation with the club and everyone would be saying that he is young and needs time to learn the job. There were a lot of voices in this line of thinking back in Moyes days and we owed the man nothing (even though you'd think otherwise looking at what people said at the time), imagine if it were Ryan Giggs, OT legend instead.
That what worries me. Things will get worse if he flukes a trophy or two. We might as well have a Busby, Clough or Wenger situation (at their later stage of career of course) where the manager is kept despite not producing the goods year after year and is making the club worse.

The homegrown manager may suit ruthless bastards like AC Milan, were legends are fired at a whim and legends are booed in their testimonial game. Those sort of club want a manager whose so grateful that would accept being controlled by the owners and is cheap to kick out or turn into the culprit if the club performs badly. Its not something for a club like ours.

If Giggs cant live without United than keep him as an assistant or appoint him as a director of football. Don't give him the most important role at the club (SAF's words not mine)

Last edited:

Sereques

How should I put this... I really don't want a Man United team of average players.
I think what am trying to say is am yet to see him build a team with his own players. The teams seem pre-made before he join them.

legball

Let's be clear, it has to be Guardiola. It makes sense, LVG is implementing a style of play he thrives on, I believe he'll like to coach a big team in England and we're the biggest, he'll have enough cash to play with. The transition from LVG to Guardiola would be clean, and he'll take our play style up a notch, he's the best manager out there, so, we should not make that mistake a second time of not going for the best available. I like Giggs, but we don't have Messi, Suarez & Neymar, so, we need a ridiculously good coach/manager, maybe Giggs is that good, but we don't know, and we're too big a club to play with stuff like this. In fact, if Guardiola is available this summer, I'll happily cut ties with LVG to get him.

Natener

I think what am trying to say is am yet to see him build a team with his own players. The teams seem pre-made before he join them.
He actually had to make quite a few changes to Barca when he took over, though he did have a core group of very talented players. In any case, the manager taking over LVG would most likely take over a good squad having layed the foundations just as he did at previous clubs.

I'm guessing ur doubt about him building a team of his own players is with regards to his ability to rebuild every few years. That's a reasonable concern but you could pretty much say that for most managers in the game. Hardly any manager has stayed long enough to actually rebuild with good results. Man Utd is really different from the likes of Dortmund/Atletico Madrid where we rarely need an overhaul of the squad. The last 2 years are unique for us because of SAF's retirement. I don't see an overhaul necessary with the next manager.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
I can't seem to get through to you the fact that I don't know if this Gentlemans Agreement exists or not.
If it does (as has been reported more than once by credible sources not some kid on Twitter) then Pep should honour it.
City extended Mancinis contract but sacked him 6 months later so could happen to Pelle but more likely to reassign him somewhere else in the City Football Group rather than just kick him out. If Pep goes elsewhere then Pelle stays unless the season implodes.
I'm sure Pellegrini will love that.

Cheers for the league title Manuel and for actually being a decent manager as well as a decent guy.

Now here's a great opportunity for you at Yokohama Marinos.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
I'm sure Pellegrini will love that.

Cheers for the league title Manuel and for actually being a decent manager as well as a decent guy.

Now here's a great opportunity for you at Yokohama Marinos.
Well we're just speculating at the moment based on our instinct and some titbits in the media.
However, it would be folly to overlook the shared history of the people involved and I'm sure MP knows this as well as anyone.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
Well we're just speculating at the moment based on our instinct and some titbits in the media.
However, it would be folly to overlook the shared history of the people involved and I'm sure MP knows this as well as anyone.
Absolutely.

I just find the suggestion that Pellegrini would be happy to be shunted off to some footballing backwater rather funny. And more than a tad disrespectful to a decent manager who seems like a decent man to boot.

I think he'd quite rightly tell you to feck off and walk into a job at a top European club.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
Absolutely.

I just find the suggestion that Pellegrini would be happy to be shunted off to some footballing backwater rather funny. And more than a tad disrespectful to a decent manager who seems like a decent man to boot.

I think he'd quite rightly tell you to feck off and walk into a job at a top European club.
If (IF) this happens we'll see how it plays itself out. There may have already been a discussion on this subject and a solution found, there may not. As a Pep fan I hope we get to find out.
Just as an aside, I've noticed that plenty of posters on here are happy to bin LVG at the end of the season to get Pep if this is what it takes.

Reactions: jojojo

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
If (IF) this happens we'll see how it plays itself out. There may have already been a discussion on this subject and a solution found, there may not. As a Pep fan I hope we get to find out.
Just as an aside, I've noticed that plenty of posters on here are happy to bin LVG at the end of the season to get Pep if this is what it takes.
Ha, there's plenty of posters on here who would bin LvG right now if that's what it took. Fair to say it's make or break time for Louis. If he goes, he goes properly though. We're not gonna stick him in charge of the U-21s or farm him out to Royal Antwerp. Though his reaction to such a scenario would be more than a tad funny.

Kaos

I was hoping it would be Klopp, but now that idea has gone to shite its got to be Pep. If it means binning LVG at the end of the season then I'm all for it.

I just don't want to be in a situation where Liverpool have Klopp, Chelsea/Arsenal/City have Guardiola, and we're on another romantic experiment with Giggs as our manager.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I was hoping it would be Klopp, but now that idea has gone to shite its got to be Pep. If it means binning LVG at the end of the season then I'm all for it.

I just don't want to be in a situation where Liverpool have Klopp, Chelsea/Arsenal/City have Guardiola, and we're on another romantic experiment with Giggs as our manager.
It seems we might just need to prepare ourselves for that scenario IMO. :(

JPRouve

Scout
If Guardiola signs for City, would you guys like the idea of Pellegrini managing us?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
If Guardiola signs for City, would you guys like the idea of Pellegrini managing us?
Very good league manager, not a great cup manager until he's in underdog sort of situation. He did well in Europe at Malaga, Villarreal - got the latter to semifinal and the former to quarterfinal where they were inches away from a semi (knocked out by Dortmund through two stoppage time goals, one miles offside).

JPRouve

Scout
Very good league manager, not a great cup manager until he's in underdog sort of situation. He did well in Europe at Malaga, Villarreal - got the latter to semifinal and the former to quarterfinal where they were inches away from a semi (knocked out by Dortmund through two stoppage time goals, one miles offside).
I like him but since he is coaching City, he shouldn't be an option, and he is old.

Sarni

I like him but since he is coaching City, he shouldn't be an option, and he is old.
Indeed, he'd be 64 before we could get him and that's an option for 4-5 years before he inevitably retires.

BTW I thought Lippi was around 75-80 already, only to realize that he is actually only 67. Has been out of European club management for 11 years already!

Sarni

Timing with Klopp was such inconvenient. If he left Dortmund a year later he would have got a nod ahead of van Gaal I think. In 2013 I think we always prefered Moyes to him due to him being Scottish and a long term option, Klopp wasn't available and only just got Dortmund to a CL final but even if he were we would have still got Moyes I think.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Manchester United: trying to replicate Barcelona since 2009 :lol:. Now as for what's underlined and in italics and out of WUM mode, Benitez was nowhere near the short list for Barça in 2008. Mourinho, Pellegrini, Laudrup and Guardiola were looked at with Guardiola deemed the right fit at that time.
That's like saying wanting Pep for instant success is wanting to replicate Madrid. I used it as an example. As for "WUM mode" did you seriously underline the part of my post where I clearly said I might be wrong about this? :wenger:

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
People that want Simeone, have you actually watched Atlético? Counter-attacking football based on cohesive team football in attack and defense with a lot of dirtyness, playacting and time-wasting. In short, if you remember him as a player you'll sort of get the idea of him as a manager. United would become the most hated team again (if they've lost that standard) but for different reasons.

Sam

You just know thats exactly what is going to happen.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

LFC - Klopp
City - Pep
CFC - Simeone
MUFC - Ryan Giggs

:drool:

Seveneric

The thought that Giggs would be given time to "consistently" fail/ finish outside the top 4 without his job being a threat is such a borderline brain dead stupid thought, but not that surprising, seeing who/where the thought came from.

You only have to see the way fans started getting disgruntled with Fergie during his short barren years and the revisionism of his career since he retired to know that Giggs will not be afforded the luxury of ruining the club if he starts going down that path.

Will Giggs be given slightly more time than the average manager if he wasn't doing well? Yes,no use denying that. Will he be allowed to continue underperforming season after season? Definitely not. If he ever takes the job and finishes about 2 seasons outside the top 4, I can definitely see his job being under threat. United aren't that sentimental or stupid anymore. But yeah, keep foolishly fear mongering that Giggs would consistenly underperform for 5, 6, 7 years, and the United management would just continue wringing their hands and backing him :wenger:

for arguments sake lets say that:

Van Gaal stays on, we lose Pep to City and Carlo has also joined someone else by this point. And Klopp is also a hit at Anfield.

What would we do when Van Gaal leaves now/if that Klopp is no longer an option and neither is pep or Carlo?

Jose could end up losing his job at Chelsea..... *gulp* do we try for him? *ouch*
This is most likely what will happen, besides maybe the Klopp being a hit at Anfield part.

Last edited:

Eila

People that want Simeone, have you actually watched Atlético? Counter-attacking football based on cohesive team football in attack and defense with a lot of dirtyness, playacting and time-wasting. In short, if you remember him as a player you'll sort of get the idea of him as a manager. United would become the most hated team again (if they've lost that standard) but for different reasons.
A lot of people wanted Mou, so there's that.
I would like to see Simeone on a team where he's not the underdog. The amount of players he's been forced to sell is astounding, yet he still managed to break the Barca-Madrid dominance.

IwatUwat

Mourinho gets sacked from Chels...is he then an option? Would you take him next year?

Lewis.no.9

Mourinho gets sacked from Chels...is he then an option? Would you take him next year?
so divided by this. He has really made himself look an utter twat since re joining Chelsea. But his CV is very good.

Sarni

A lot of people wanted Mou, so there's that.
I would like to see Simeone on a team where he's not the underdog. The amount of players he's been forced to sell is astounding, yet he still managed to break the Barca-Madrid dominance.
He's only actually sold Costa and Felipe Luis who he bought back, from the side that reached 13/14 Champions League final. Courtois was only loaned and they got a good goalkeeper as a replacement anyway. They sold Turan this year but got expensive replacements too. This is not some shocking amount of players they had to replace and the funds have not been short: Costa was replaced with Mandzukic who was then replaced with Vietto and Martinez, Felipe Luis was replaced with Siquera and then bought back, Courtois was replaced by Oblak and in the meantime they bought expensive players like Griezmann, Carrasco, Savic, Cerci (didn't work out) and some very talented youth at around €10m prices - Jimenez, Correa, Mensah, Kranevitter.

JPRouve

Scout
He will be an option and I think that he would a different man with the freedom that United gives to the managers. He is perfectly able to make his team play a nice brand of football but he worked for trigger happy boards. I don't like his antics though.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I think we'd have to look at it. If Pep and Ancelotti have taken up positions by the end of next season, we'd be mad not to given the potential other candidates.

I don't know whether he'd take the job though. He wanted it when it came with the badge of honour of the chosen one, he'd have the ego trip of being the one handed the baton. But after we turned out nose up at him and let several others have a go instead, would he still be tempted? Especially as it would sour his relationship with the Chelsea fans? I'm not sure. I don't even really think Roman will be daft enough to sack him again.

Question234

Getting pep for 3-4 years and then letting giggs take over after that makes so much more sense.

I can't imagine that woody and the board are ready to take another huge risk with giggs after seeing how moyes crumbled under the pressure, giggs having no actual managerial experience should also raise some alarm bells.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.