Neymar joins PSG on a five year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

prtk0811

Not a direct product, but it's easy to argue that it is an indirect product from the mechanism I explained in the first sentence. A very good example would be the Pogba transfer, that allowed Juve to spend big on Higuain.

Most probably it's a mix of different factors coming into play. One of them is the EPL TV deal. Another is sugar daddies. Yet another is the still growing popularity of the sport, thus increasing market power in sponsorship deals etc.
Also the unfair distribution of laliga telecast rights helping the big two of Spain unconditionally.

Javi

Haha,I like what la liga is doing. He will leave anyway but can be a bit later.
At least I'd like to know clearly what UEFA thinks and what they'll do about it.
I'm not sure what's there to like. Unless they somehow produce good grounds for their action it looks like an amateurish move from complete idiots. Not exactly the people I imagine one would like to run the national football league.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I still find it amazing that Neymar is willing to drop down such a huge level to play in the French league. I'm surprised and it says alot about the player. Is being even richer or the 'main man' much more important than playing at the highest level ? For him, it appears to be the case.
I am really surprised too. Makes me think we don't have all the information and perhaps he is in some legal troubles about his tax or whatever?

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Not a direct product, but it's easy to argue that it is an indirect product from the mechanism I explained in the first sentence. A very good example would be the Pogba transfer, that allowed Juve to spend big on Higuain.

Most probably it's a mix of different factors coming into play. One of them is the EPL TV deal. Another is sugar daddies. Yet another is the still growing popularity of the sport, thus increasing market power in sponsorship deals etc.
Absolutely, everybody has a role in the circus. The starting point is the football fan ready to spend money to buy football products and watch football.

red thru&thru

Amazing how many people are calling Neymar and his family leeches etc.

Why should Neymar stay at Barcelona? He has won everything with them. He is getting offered double the wages elsewhere, so why not go?

People will talk about loyalty but I bet majority of us in this Cafe would move to another company, doing the same job, for double the more wages that they're currently on.

Javi

Also the unfair distribution of laliga telecast rights helping the big two of Spain unconditionally.
Every club is selling them for themselves ... what is unfair about that? It's not the same model like in other countries and possibly widen the gap between bottom/top teams and therefore can be bad for competition but I wouldn't outright call it unfair.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Would love to see Neymar sue for breach of contract and walk away for free. If the wording on the release clause is clear cut and La Liga are not accepting the terms of the release, then it can be considered a breach of contract.
Barca can't be in breach for third party actions.

SammyUnited_83

Haha,I like what la liga is doing. He will leave anyway but can be a bit later.
At least I'd like to know clearly what UEFA thinks and what they'll do about it.
i thought UEFA were quite clear, PSG aren't breaking any rules because they might raise a lot of money from player sales.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31379128
I normally go with the BBC when commenting on football matters.

The Premier League has sold television rights to its games for a record £5.136bn, 71% above last time.
Sky paid £4.2bn for five of the seven TV packages while rival BT paid £960m for the other two in the record TV rights auction. The deal will run for three years from 2016
That's just British TV rights, If I'm not mistaken.

Javi

Absolutely, everybody has a role in the circus. The starting point is the football fan ready to spend money to buy football products and watch football.
I'd go even further: the starting point is people being interested in football. That gives the whole thing relevance.

Bojan11

I still find it amazing that Neymar is willing to drop down such a huge level to play in the French league. I'm surprised and it says alot about the player. Is being even richer or the 'main man' much more important than playing at the highest level ? For him, it appears to be the case.
Can you blame him? He's going to make 515k a week.

Most Brazilians players are more financially motivated because a lot of them came from poor upbringings. Which is why a lot of them play in China. But to be fair this is life changing money and there's a few footballers who would reject it.

He was also apparently pissed that Messi was getting all the plaudits after the PSG game.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I'm not sure what's there to like. Unless they somehow produce good grounds for their action it looks like an amateurish move from complete idiots. Not exactly the people I imagine one would like to run the national football league.
Tebas thinks that is financial doping.It's the biggest transfer by a margin of 100m€.
I don't see the problem of defending the competition and check from where is coming the money.

AXVnee7

Amazing how many people are calling Neymar and his family leeches etc.

Why should Neymar stay at Barcelona? He has won everything with them. He is getting offered double the wages elsewhere, so why not go?

People will talk about loyalty but I bet majority of us in this Cafe would move to another company, doing the same job, for double the more wages that they're currently on.
I would not blame any United player who left for that kind of money. Especially if the talk of private jets, hotel chains and the like are true.

prtk0811

That's not what's happening though is it. Is Neymar a product of the English TV deal ? Was Higuin's transfer from Napoli to Juve part of the English TV deal ? How about Mbappe to Madrid ?
But other European clubs get threatened about their players by that deal which contributes to increase in prices as they know about the lack of quality in England structure in production of high level youth talents.

SqueakyWeasel

Wow!

However La Liga, as its president, Javier Tebas, had threatened, declined to accept the payment. “We can confirm that the player’s lawyers came to the La Liga offices this morning to deposit the clause and that it has been rejected,” a statement from the league said. “That’s all the information we are giving out at this moment.”
FFS that rumour is looking about right! Surely it would be PSG's lawyers that turned up with a briefcase full of cash if they were buying him out?

red thru&thru

Flip it around...maybe his ambition is to be the MAN to get PSG their first CL title? The man to take them up to the next level? That is more of a challenge than staying in a league, which is just as competitive domestically, as the French one.

Esquire

Agreed. I can't see how La Liga has a legal basis to reject a payment from an able buyer who has met the asking price agreed between the seller and the player. Barca clearly can't do jack so are seeking assistance from La Liga. It's a losing battle but anything to hold up the deal right.

prtk0811

Tebas thinks that is financial doping.It's the biggest transfer by a margin of 100m€.
I don't see the problem of defending the competition and check from where is coming the money.
Where was this concern when 80 m Ronaldo was paid in full and records broken back then.

Esquire

Barca can't be in breach for third party actions.
Agreed. It's just face saving posturing. La Liga can do what it pleases and not take the money but can't see how that legally is valid. PSG has clearly complied with the monetary terms of the contract between Barca and Neymar. Neymar can clearly walk and Ligue Un should be able to register him unless UEFA steps in.

AXVnee7

I've not heard this. Could you please enlighten me? Cheers.
I can't remember who it was but someone a lot earlier posted with sources that PSG are offering Neymar a house, a private jet with permission to fly to Brazil and a stake in a hotel chain! If true it's just crazy

prtk0811

It's out of control. I guess one positive could be that clubs will now focus more on developing their own young stars and I'm pretty confident we can produce some of the best with our coaches and facilities.
But we won't find another Ronaldo for 12 m now.

It has ruined our youth production strategy.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Where was this concern when 80 m Ronaldo was paid in full and records broken back then.
But we are not funded by an state giving us 100m€ from sponsors whenever we need.
If we want to buy we need to sell first.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
You really think people outside Spain or non fans of Barca and Madrid are watching Barca vs Deportivo or Malaga ? seriously ? It's exactly the same situation. Barca has about 4 matches in the season that all people only watch, but I don't think you'll find many people going to see their matches against other league fodders except Barca fans or Spanish people. Same can be applied to the French league.

You're comparing playing at a Montpellier team to playing at PSG ? PSG is a big club currently whatever we agreed on this or not. Them playing in a weak league isn't their fault. Bayern is playing in a league with zero competition and no one is bothering to watch their matches against the league fodders but they're still a very big club wanted by everyone.

People were doubting Zlatan because of his age not because of playing in PSG. Your comparison is unrealistic, sorry.
I never watch French games and I don't know anyone who does, the Portuguese "cafes" here only show Spanish and PL games besides the 3 big teams from Portugal.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I can't remember who it was but someone a lot earlier posted with sources that PSG are offering Neymar a house, a private jet with permission to fly to Brazil and a stake in a hotel chain! If true it's just crazy
But is he permitted to breed?

red thru&thru

UEFA should only let clubs spend the money from revenue and player sales, from the previous year. So for example, the year before in total I earned £100m to spend. After I bought a player this year for £30m, I will now only have £70m to spend. Each transfer would obviously have to go through UEFA and they are the ones who track how much a club can spend/have left to spend.

RRCE

I love when people are so sure of their opinion they state it as absolute truth.

No one here knows why he's left, its probably a mixture of all the above im not sure why its being argued as a sole reason. This transfer will indirectly affect us in the future and thats what we need to worry about.
If PSG were offering Neymar the same wage as he's currently earning at Barcelona (or even a reasonable increase), do you think he'd be leaving? Do you really believe that the desire to step out of Messi's shadow is what's driving this? It's naive think that he's leaving for any reason other than the king's ransom of a contract they've offered him (and whatever his father is being paid).

You're quite correct, though, in stating that the ripple effect of the Neymar deal will impact all clubs, including United. That's exactly what Jose indicated in his post-match press conference yesterday.

red thru&thru

Oh ok, fair enough. I suppose the house thing is the norm, with the odd free flight. But a stake in the hotel chain is a first.

SammyUnited_83

But we are not funded by an state giving us 100m€ from sponsors whenever we need.
If we want to buy we need to sell first.
Hang on, didn't you sell a piece of land from the training ground to Madrid city council for £500mil that was worth 20mil?

Javi

Yes, I read what he thinks but first of all financial doping isn't forbidden. What does it even mean? I read different explanations: a.) breach of FFP rules b.) money injections from rich people.

Regarding a.): it's a UEFA/FIFA matter and it will be evaluated after the transfer window closed, like UEFA stated. PSG could sell enough players to balance it, if they can't do it with sponsorship deals.

Regarding b.): If I were to be a billionaire I could just ring Ed and suggest to fund the missing 10m. £ for Perisic. So not only is nothing wrong with that it's not Tebas place to argue against this at all. There is plenty of domestic transfers in La Liga where the money is coming from dodgy sources, did he ever ask questions about transfers from Granada or Zaragoza? Not that I recall. And to say that this is suddenly relevant because it's another sphere in terms of money is amateurish. It would also be - again - an UEFA/FIFA matter.

Even if there was something wrong with all this, why exactly stop this transfer because of it? Can he not let the transfer go through and complain about it with the relevant people in UEFA/FIFA or whoever is deemed fit to do something?

To me it look like Tebas making an absolute clown out of himself on the international stage.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
I'm not suggesting the exact makeup of what will happen, that will fall on the toes of better qualified and better paid people than me.

In the event that all sponsorship deals from state owned companies were prohibited from being renewed, do you really think that would negatively effect United or Liverpool?

Nonetheless, I specifically mentioned state owned clubs effectively sponsoring themselves. Much easier to prohibit and it would only affect a couple of prominent players.
I really think you're clutching at straws here. In any case, City is privately owned by Mansour anyway. And even if UEFA changed their rules, the fact is that UEFA more than anyone loves cash and they'll be loathe to put too many restrictions on rich men buying football clubs.

The most that I can see happening here is certain loopholes are closed like the one where Neymar is rumoured to be getting the money via a loan to buy out his contract which effectively means he sits as a free transfer on PSG's books. I don't seriously believe they will be that brazen and in the highly unlikely event that they are, then UEFA will be all over it for sure.

Javi

Agreed. I can't see how La Liga has a legal basis to reject a payment from an able buyer who has met the asking price agreed between the seller and the player. Barca clearly can't do jack so are seeking assistance from La Liga. It's a losing battle but anything to hold up the deal right.
I don't see any evidence pointing to Barça being part of this block, is that just you specualting? Because it doesn't make a lot of sense for them to take this kind of action.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I'd go with
  • All players have to have release clauses in their contracts, so the clubs can cut them at any time for free (might be against EU law, but I doubt it)
  • All clubs are limited to 23 players over the age of 23. Any players not in the 23 man squad are automatically released (can't go on loan).
  • All clubs are limited to 34 players over the age of 19. Any players not in the 34 man squad are automatically released (can't go on loan).
  • Players cannot own their image rights in a professional football context. Likewise, clubs cannot own the players image rights in a non professional football context. Just clearly divide the two.
  • All football leagues and competitions have automatic bonuses paid to players (which have to be a fairly high percentage of the tv revenue). i.e. man of the match = £20k. second man of the match = £10k. third man of the match = £5k. Goal or Assist = £5k. etc. This is paid directly by the League/Competition - not the club... giving a vital revenue source to all players without bankrupting the players.
  • All TV Revenue to be split, 50% evenly, 50% from ranked evenly from 1-20 (or 18, etc).
  • Better FFP rules.
  • Agent fees to be fixed fees paid by player. No bonuses. Nothing to be paid by clubs.
  • For every £1 spend by a club on wages above the average wage in that league, the club pays £1 to the league itself. I.e. if United's wage budget is £50m, and the average wage is £5m, they pay the league a £45m penalty per year. This doesn't include the bonuses paid to players by the league itself.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31379128
I normally go with the BBC when commenting on football matters.
The Premier League has sold television rights to its games for a record £5.136bn, 71% above last time.
Sky paid £4.2bn for five of the seven TV packages while rival BT paid £960m for the other two in the record TV rights auction. The deal will run for three years from 2016
That's about what I thought it was. I know La Liga has the new TV deal structure, but I can't imagine it's changed that much.

Last edited:

red thru&thru

The bottom line is, money talks. There's only one reason why Neymar is leaving Barcelona for PSG. Cash. Really, I can't even blame him. PSG are offering him an insane contract. All the talk about wanting to step out of Messi's shadow is complete nonsense. Had Barcelona offered him a huge raise, Neymar would have stayed. He's leaving for the money. Simple as that.

While most won't agree with the fee (it's a ludicrous investment for any player, let alone the FFP implications), it is a huge statement of intent from PSG. For all of Woodward's talk about United being able to compete financially for any player, there's no way the club would be prepared to pay that much money. If people think we blew Real Madrid out of the water last year with our Pogba bid, then PSG blew us, and everyone else, out of the water this summer.
I'm glad we never got involved. Mainly due to the wages that are being offered. It would have set a dangerous precedent.

Plus, Woodward was/is right about other teams not able to compete with us...when proper FFP rules are applied.

Status
Not open for further replies.