Neymar

Status
Not open for further replies.

ottosec

No chance this happens, but let's be honest, if someone out there is worth 150m, then it's this guy.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
This is just a clumsy attempt to distract from the Pedro fiasco. Woodward must think we are as dumb as he is (every time he goes to Spain.)
Yes, we all love the famous and handy 'save face by courting further inevitable humiliation on a more massive scale' technique. It's worked very well judging by the reaction on here.

Tosicsleftpeg

I just want to echo the sentiments of others who have said that south Amcericans just dont fit in here really. I cant think of any who have really done well consistently for a long period of time for us (Maybe Rafael??) and i also think this is the same story from players from countries like Spain and Portugal who just dont seem to like the climate and the culture of northern England. Obviously Ronaldo and De Gea have been fantastic but they always seem to want to go back to their home countries eventually and have the best years of their careers there.

Neymar is a brilliant player but i cant see him flourishing at United hes a typical Barca/Real south american success story.

izec

As outlandish as it is, I can think of plenty of reasons he'd want to join United, not to say it will happen, but to suggest he couldn't possibly have his head turned is crazy. He will be in Messi's shadow despite what he does on the pitch, he could earn more here, be the main man, see his brand rise and probably do better in regards to the D'or
Besides the Messi thing and being the main man, the rest is questionable.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Besides the Messi thing and being the main man, the rest is questionable.
Which bit? Point is, even if you admit it's questionable, then it's not "beyond doubt" that there would be attractive reasons, again not that it will happen, but that it could be attractive.

Grib

Not that I think this is a goer, but some of you need to catch yourselves on a bit

What a horrible experience being a Manchester United fan must be if your constantly worried about being embarrassed (because of rumours of all things!!), and the very low opnion you hold in relation to the club itself in general

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Manchester United are willing to spend £240m on a deal for Barcelona's Brazil forward Neymar, 23. The Sun

:lol::lol::lol:
:lol::lol::lol:

And yet when the transfer window closes these bullshitters will be laughing at Woody.

It's so obviously ridiculous on every level for every party involved. The club shouldn't be looking to spend a single penny on another South American superstar. Ever. They malfunction in Manchester.

Even if this happened and Neymar arrived, there'd be little to get excited about, just the prospect of another whinging scrote affecting squad harmony.

Siorac

No chance this happens, but let's be honest, if someone out there is worth 150m, then it's this guy.
Nope. Only one footballer in the world might be worth that amount. That chap also plays for Barcelona.

Thankfully, United aren't about to pay such money for one player.

izec

Which bit? Point is, even if you admit it's questionable, then it's not "beyond doubt" that there would be attractive reasons, again not that it will happen, but that it could be attractive.
Earning more....i dont know if our club would offer more than Barca would if they offer him a new contract. Also brand rise....being at Barca, he is the 3rd biggest star worldwide behind Ronaldo and Messi. Dont see how that could change. Ballon D'or is also 50/50. he could win it at Barca too, just needs to be better than Messi. Messi will get older and he is still young, so his time will come eventually if he keeps going. Having a better shot at targets helps, with us we still need to find our rhytm. I am not saying you arent right or wrong, but all your points are debatable, except the main man thing.

ottosec

Nope. Only one footballer in the world might be worth that amount. That chap also plays for Barcelona.

Thankfully, United aren't about to pay such money for one player.
He's 5 years younger and already more marketable than Messi, I think. I believe he is the player that's worth the most in the world, from a buyer's club point of view, if you combine his age, skill and marketability.

Rich_H_1989

lost in a street fight to van gaal
Thing is... We have managed to create 20 odd pages already discussing the madness of this rumour! And in that sense the media are getting it spot on because we are talking about it.

cyberman

Neymar a Brazilian who is getting plaudits that he wants, that he could take over from Messi one day, is playing alongside Messi and in Spain for Barca vs coming to us in Manchester who are battling to find a way back to the top. I cant see it myself.

Just another play being linked since the Pedro deal fell flat.
Messi is 28. There's no way he will ever be sold so you're looking at him staying until he's 34 odd. There are many reasons why Neymar will stay, I don't think becoming the main man at Barca when he turns 30 would be one of them.
Maybe not now, but I can see Neymar making at least 2 more record breaking moves before he retires. I don't see him settling in at one club for the rest of his career.
Has a top tier Brazilan ever been loyal to one European club?

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
This is just a clumsy attempt to distract from the Pedro fiasco. Woodward must think we are as dumb as he is (every time he goes to Spain.)
I'm not putting any faith in these rumours, but I fail to see how people think this is a ruse to distract attention from failing to get Pedro.

In the first place, it sounds like we could have easily gotten Pedro had we really wanted to.

Secondly, if this is a ruse, how would anyone think we would come out of it in a positive light? Trying to divert attention away from failing to sign someone by failing to sign someone even more high-profile is non-sensical.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Messi is 28. There's no way he will ever be sold so you're looking at him staying until he's 34 odd. There are many reasons why Neymar will stay, I don't think becoming the main man at Barca when he turns 30 would be one of them.
Maybe not now, but I can see Neymar making at least 2 more record breaking moves before he retires. I don't see him settling in at one club for the rest of his career.
Has a top tier Brazilan ever been loyal to one European club?
Rarely their choice though, they are usually kicked out of top clubs due to injuries and unprofessionalism.

Enigma_87

You know who
I'm not putting any faith in these rumours, but I fail to see how people think this is a ruse to distract attention from failing to get Pedro.

In the first place, it sounds like we could have easily gotten Pedro had we really wanted to.

Secondly, if this is a ruse, how would anyone think we would come out of it in a positive light? Trying to divert attention away from failing to sign someone by failing to sign someone even more high-profile is non-sensical.
Because it saves face as trying to get a higher profile player, while the other one was a clusterfeck - much easier to get, knew the price, wanted to come, just needed to pull the trigger. At the end we'll be wasting our time, but since I can't see anyone in the rank of Pedro being available at that price we don't have many options either.

Mali_Zeus

Not that I think this is a goer, but some of you need to catch yourselves on a bit

What a horrible experience being a Manchester United fan must be if your constantly worried about being embarrassed (because of rumours of all things!!), and the very low opnion you hold in relation to the club itself in general
Yeah, don't get that, constantly worrying what the opposing fans think and if we've done something embarrassing.

cyberman

Rarely their choice though, they are usually kicked out of top clubs due to injuries and unprofessionalism.
As soon as I pressed post I thought of Rivaldo and Barcelona themselves but the point still stands. Personally I can see Naymar at the top for a long time, playing with Messi and this Barca side should give him a taste of what his legacy would be if he keeps at it.
Hard to imagine he's only 23. He's been better than Ronaldo by that age and just scored 40 goals in a treble winning season.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Because it saves face as trying to get a higher profile player, while the other one was a clusterfeck - much easier to get, knew the price, wanted to come, just needed to pull the trigger. At the end we'll be wasting our time, but since I can't see anyone in the rank of Pedro being available at that price we don't have many options either.
It wouldn't save face in the slightest! Most reactions to our supposed bid is not "good on them for aiming high" but "how the hell do they think they have a hope of signing someone like that?"

Those reactions don't bother or concern me in the slightest, but I cannot believe the club thinks that this would portray them in a positive light.

EDIT - also, where do we go from here if this doesn't happen??? Try and sign Maradona or Pele?

Enigma_87

You know who
It wouldn't save face in the slightest! Most reactions to our supposed bid is not "good on them for aiming high" but "how the hell do they think they have a hope of signing someone like that?"

Those reactions don't bother or concern me in the slightest, but I cannot believe the club thinks that this would portray them in a positive light.

EDIT - also, where do we go from here if this doesn't happen??? Try and sign Maradona or Pele?
Well I can't see any other of Pedro's quality being available, so it's either wasting time or doing nothing as possibly we don't have a second option now. Who we can get in the last 5 days that we can use?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
As soon as I pressed post I thought of Rivaldo and Barcelona themselves but the point still stands. Personally I can see Naymar at the top for a long time, playing with Messi and this Barca side should give him a taste of what his legacy would be if he keeps at it.
Hard to imagine he's only 23. He's been better than Ronaldo by that age and just scored 40 goals in a treble winning season.
I think he's better than Ronaldo now personally. Second best player in the world last season for me, and that isn't even considering his international exploits.

Revan

Assumptionman
I think he's better than Ronaldo now personally. Second best player in the world last season for me, and that isn't even considering his international exploits.
You, Neymar's mum and a couple of Barca fans are the only people in the world who might think that.

@cyberman
Ronaldo was definitely better than Neymar when Ronaldo was Neymar's age (23 years old). As good as Neymar was last season, Ronaldo was better in 2007-2008 season.

Blue always red

Miss out on Pedro, release info regarding a 150m bid for Neymar. Looks like an attempt to show that Pedro was just a back-up and we've been in for Neymar from the start. Only thing I will say is this could only happen if Neymar feels he'll never win the Balon D'or whilst he's with Messi.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Miss out on Pedro, release info regarding a 150m bid for Neymar. Looks like an attempt to show that Pedro was just a back-up and we've been in for Neymar from the start. Only thing I will say is this could only happen if Neymar feels he'll never win the Balon D'or whilst he's with Messi.
So Neymar was the back-up to Pedro? Ok.

Rich_H_1989

lost in a street fight to van gaal
Only thing I will say is this could only happen if Neymar feels he'll never win the Balon D'or whilst he's with Messi.
The other way to look at that though is to say that playing alongside Messi gives him a better chance of being a better player? At some point in 3/4 years we may see a decline in Messi. Maybe he won't score as many goals and maybe at that point Neymar will step up? Whilst still benefiting from the special attention teams will give Messi.

Keenst

Who they are trying to appease by releasing all this misinformation? Is it the fans? Is it trying to maintain some sort of reputation in the transfer market? Is it to protect Woody? I just don't get it. What's the point?

The Purley King

I can't believe his release clause is so low, didn't Messi have a €1bn clause at some point?
He is easily worth €190m, presuming he doesn't do a Di Maria when he arrives, which is obviously a pretty big 'if'. If he plays anywhere near his best, we would look back in 5 years and say that €190m was cheap.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I'm guessing (and this is really just a guess) that Woody is under some pressure to sign a big name, now that Di Maria, Van Persie and Falcao have gone. We've just signed huge deals with Adidas and Chevrolet, and I'm sure the money was not just to have their logos on our shirts. We're expected to play in the CL, we're expected to win big trophies, and capture the imagination of fans worldwide. And along with that comes having big names in the club. Our nett spend is apparently at 8mil. To the major sponsor, they'd be thinking "Wait a minute, I've handed you all this money to promote the club/my brand, raise your profile, and you've kept most of it instead?!?!"

But Woody has to balance these expectations with the football side of things. LvG wants the best players, while Woody wants big names. You put this two together, it means having at least one or two top stars. Right now, we almost have none. Schweinsteiger to some extent, and Rooney are the well known ones. That's why this talk of Bale, Muller and Neymar keep surfacing. Unfortunately, the biggest stars already play at the biggest clubs. So we're now literally throwing money at the biggest names on LvGs list. Neymar not a "United/LvG" type player?!?. Of course he is. Neymar, Bale, Messi, Ronaldo, Muller, Pogba etc would be literally on any managers wishlist, and on any marketing person's wishlist as well.

Problem is, Woody's got his timing all wrong. These clubs don't need to sell, can afford to turn down big money, and their biggest stars want to play for them. All well and good to pay a release clause, but the man doesn't want to leave the most glamorous and successful club today, and who can blame him? So all that's going to happen is ... Neymar will get a new contract that'll push his salary up to astronomical levels.

So in the end, Woody is still learning, and his naivety is still showing at the very high end of the transfer market. If I were him, I'd consider buying the decent and obtainable players (eg. Berahino? Draxler?) to fix the holes in the squad, give a good showing in the PL and CL, and show the money only next summer when we've restored some "Euro-cred".
Good post. Agree with all but the timing part. Apparently Neymar is on £125,000 (Official salary) a week (although it's been reported that he's given an "off the book" wage totalling up to £250,000). I think our biggest persuasion factor is our ability to pay him wages that Barcelona might not be able to (might not even be willing to), around £300,000, if not more. It all depends on Neymar, but that's a lot of money to turn down, plus he'd be the main man in this team. I think Woody wouldn't even hesitate to make him the highest paid footballer in the world. The type of money we could pay him would have his grand kids sorted for life.

Keenst

For 190 million we could probably sign Pogba and Zlatan and have plenty left over. It's obscene money.

Sir A1ex

He is easily worth €190m
I'm not sure we can say that.

Since the first £10m transfer in 1992 (which seems a pretty good place to cut-off the "modern era") the world transfer record has been broken 12 times, the list including names such as Ronaldo MkI, Figo, Zidane, Kaka, C Ronaldo.

On average it has gone up by 20%, and never by 50% or more.

In fact, in its entire history, the record has been broken 42 times, and the last time it went up by 90% was in 1932, when Bernabé Ferreyra was sold for £23,000.

So I don't think we can ever say that an increase of 90% is easily justified. He could prove to be worth the money, sure, but let's not lose perpective on what an incredibly massive fee that would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.