Neymar

Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

Assuming Kane/Osimhen is ungettable....a player of his ilk in a false 9 type position could work extremely well if flanked by goalscoring wide players - Rashford and [if he who must not be named was set for a return]....we could then sign a younger CF (Holjund, Ferguson - though Brighton would probably try and hold on to him or ask ridiculous fees) and give them time to develop and stand in when Neymar inevitably gets injured.

It only works on a loan though, with his wage heavily subsidised by PSG (or through some Qatari sponsors) to maintain order to our wage structure.
Yeah definitely only works on a loan with Qatari funds and like you say subsidised wages

Ted Lasso

Don't really think he is to be honest.

He just never got injured at Barcelona. He's lost some explosion from his Barcelona days, but made up for with increased/more effective playmaking duties + I think he's become a better creative passer. He's not as devastating a dribbler as he used to be, but he's still top tier. His playmaking at PSG is more pronounced. His numbers the past 5 seasons in that regard almost stack up to Messi's.

He was a better player at Barcelona, that I'll concede, but the gap isn't as big as you make out. He just can't stay fit to save his life at PSG so it probably leads to more talk of sharper decline.

Also Barcelona were a much better team full-stop than PSG. Re: his productivity being 'inflated' because of PSG being the dominant force in Ligue 1. I would say that's a fairer point for a more 'new' player. Also, Neymar's production last season was better than Mbappe's and on par with Messi's. While it was easier for him to get those stats in PSG than Marseille, he produced at an incredible rate.

Those numbers probably dip in the Premier League, but he's been insanely productive throughout his career.

If he can stay fit(and it is a big IF), I think he'd be our best attacker easily.
Agree with this wholeheartedly. He still manages to writhe through four or five players at a time in a way no one bar Messi can. The only difference now is he's not then outpacing half the team over 30/40 meters.

If we can keep him fit, he'd immediately take us to another level. I'm not sure it's remotely enough to challenge for a title but very least might make Top 4 a bit more likely.

croadyman

Like I said yesterday this will only get serious legs IF Qatar take us over and Utd decide to walk away from signing Kane this summer

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yeah definitely only works on a loan with Qatari funds and like you say subsidised wages
Yeah if we have a "modest" transfer kitty, it could work in our favour when Kane/Osimhen inevitably become priced out of moves - assuming there's at least another 2-3 positions we'd also like to strengthen (funds from incoming sales will still provide a shortfall when spending big on a CF).

Positive - he could go to the Saudi league if he was after more money but coming to England (and more specifically to us) could bode well that he still wants to play at the highest level....Negative - injury record, wage etc.

croadyman

Yeah if we have a "modest" transfer kitty, it could work in our favour when Kane/Osimhen inevitably become priced out of moves - assuming there's at least another 2-3 positions we'd also like to strengthen (funds from incoming sales will still provide a shortfall when spending big on a CF).

Positive - he could go to the Saudi league if he was after more money but coming to England (and more specifically to us) could bode well that he still wants to play at the highest level....Negative - injury record, wage etc.
Yeah maybe he has similar feelings to Casa although many will probably laugh at that

Threesus

I wouldn’t sign him as a false 9 personally. I think we still need a 9. The 10 is where I’d probably play him, if we had a strong double pivot behind him. Keep Rashford left and perhaps play Bruno right side.
There is the slight problem of what we are going to to do with 200m worth of right wing ‘talent’.
And I don’t think Bruno is as effective on the wings.

croadyman

There is the slight problem of what we are going to to do with 200m worth of right wing ‘talent’.
And I don’t think Bruno is as effective on the wings.
Cross that bridge IF this miracle ever happens

Son

The biggest shame about Neymar was joining that nothing club PSG. He’s meant to be at great clubs like Barcelona or United playing at the highest level.

It was a crime against football for him to join PSG but Barcelona being run like a circus sadly caused all this.

Would be nice to see him in the Premier League. He’s easily better than 99.9% of players who have ever played in England even at 31.

The physicality thing isn’t a problem for him either. Too fast too good for defenders that’s not even an argument.

Only argument is will they kick his ankles to bits.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Yeah I’m unsure of this signing but in the right circumstances (heavily subsidised loan), who in their right mind would say no?
The revolving door of attacking players on loans or short-term contracts over the last 5+ years has been very annoying, but like you say, under the right circumstances it would be very hard to turn down.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Heard Julien Laurens saying earlier that all injured PSG players travelled to Strasbourg with the team to celebrate winning the title apart from Neymar who was at the Monaco GP. We don’t need this type of character and am pretty sure that Ten Hag will have no interest.
Julien Laurens is Mbappe's mouthpiece so anything he says has to be put into the context of Mbappe wanting to drive Neymar out of PSG. He's a joke of a "journalist".
PSG gave Neymar permission to go there and he is suffering from a serious injury anyway. His presence wasn't necessary by any means

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
To get the best out of Rashford, you want a striker or someone who can create space for him. Neymar is definitely one of them because Neymar tends to drag the defenders onto him which can open some space for Rashford to run into. I think Neymar can be a great false 9 option in this team.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
The revolving door of attacking players on loans or short-term contracts over the last 5+ years has been very annoying, but like you say, under the right circumstances it would be very hard to turn down.
Yep, absolutely agreed. I just don't see it being easy for us to sign Kane or Osimhen when you take our budget into account and who we're dealing with. Hopefully i am wrong but yeah, even if we could sign Neymar we would still need a backup CF due to his injury record and just in general, someone offering something different up top as a pure CF.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
The biggest shame about Neymar was joining that nothing club PSG. He’s meant to be at great clubs like Barcelona or United playing at the highest level.

It was a crime against football for him to join PSG but Barcelona being run like a circus sadly caused all this.

Would be nice to see him in the Premier League. He’s easily better than 99.9% of players who have ever played in England even at 31.

The physicality thing isn’t a problem for him either. Too fast too good for defenders that’s not even an argument.

Unfortunately, this has already happened. It is a real shame that injuries (and moving to PSG) derailed his career.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Absolutely this. He had no business spending his prime years in France, and the same will apply for Mbappé if he doesn’t leave sharpish. The likes of Vinicius are starting to close on his status. Mbappé is fortunate that his profile is maintained by being part of the best national team for the last 6 years.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Bruno has created more chances then KDB. Neymar has more natural talent then anyone in the league.
De bruyne is comfortably better than Bruno. Bruno has at least 2 horrible giveaways a game. De bruyne is faster and stronger and a better dribbler and better at long shots.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Neymar would be more effective at City where he can win free kicks whenever someone gets within a few feet of him like Grealish does. Would certainly ease his injury problems.

As we’ve seen this season, refs are more than happy to see our players stretchered off. Even if he thinks he wants to play for us, he’d soon change his mind.

Erik the Red

I'm not saying whether we should or shouldn't go for Neymar, but I think people are looking at this the wrong way. Neymar earns c.40m per season, so for three seasons would cost about 120m, which can be split between base salary, appearances, achievable bonuses, and sponsorship deals with Qatar, etc. An average player costs 70m in transfer fee plus 10m per season in salary, so 120m over 5 seasons, or 24m per season. Is 40m so ridiculous compared to 24m for an average player? I don't care if Maguire starts complaining about his captain's salary being less than Neymar - this is Neymar we are talking about. As one of the biggest stars in the game, he will also bring in significant revenue, so financially I think it is actually a good deal.

Whether ETH wants him is a completely separate matter, and should determine whether we spend 40m of our FFP budget on Neymar.

croadyman

I'm not saying whether we should or shouldn't go for Neymar, but I think people are looking at this the wrong way. Neymar earns c.40m per season, so for three seasons would cost about 120m, which can be split between base salary, appearances, achievable bonuses, and sponsorship deals with Qatar, etc. An average player costs 70m in transfer fee plus 10m per season in salary, so 120m over 5 seasons, or 24m per season. Is 40m so ridiculous compared to 24m for an average player? I don't care if Maguire starts complaining about his captain's salary being less than Neymar - this is Neymar we are talking about. As one of the biggest stars in the game, he will also bring in significant revenue, so financially I think it is actually a good deal.

Whether ETH wants him is a completely separate matter, and should determine whether we spend 40m of our FFP budget on Neymar.
Yeah this is down to three things happening

Kane not signing
Qatar buying us
Erik actually wanting him

RedStarUnited

Trust me, no one cares about the salary. Neymar is just a very hated player in here.

LuckyScout78

Injury prone and love party too much = biggest reason why he hasn't reach the top and his max potential.

In form and injury free. In a good Neymar matchday form. Really good.

But as a full packet football player. Include the life outside the pitch. A flashy football player. But i prefer a top and 100 % focus on football mind. Breath and dedicate 100 % or close to that level.

I think and believe Neymar has some outside distraction factor and ingredient. That reduce his consistent top level.

Maybe im a wrong. But that is what i observed of Neymar. On and off the pitch.

FCAES_7

What we get Neymar on a loan like reported, as Levy seems reluctant to let Kane come to us this year. if it works well be it if not we get Kane on a free next year for another 3 years. we will still need to get another attacker, but if Neymar works well here it will be a huge gain for us on all sides, and if not he will go back to PSG. we will be the most hated team in Europe and teams will hate playing us with Neymar, Bruno, Antony, Licha and sometimes Casimero.

croadyman

What we get Neymar on a loan like reported, as Levy seems reluctant to let Kane come to us this year. if it works well be it if not we get Kane on a free next year for another 3 years. we will still need to get another attacker, but if Neymar works well here it will be a huge gain for us on all sides, and if not he will go back to PSG. we will be the most hated team in Europe and teams will hate playing us with Neymar, Bruno, Antony, Licha and sometimes Casimero.
Not even remotely entertaining it unless Jassim actually buys the club,absolutely no chance whatsoever it happens otherwise

FCAES_7

Not even remotely entertaining it unless Jassim actually buys the club,absolutely no chance whatsoever it happens otherwise
Yes, I don't see it happening either, but I really like Neymar I think he will give us a different aspect we missing in attack, and a lot of unwanted extra media attention

croadyman

Yes, I don't see it happening either, but I really like Neymar I think he will give us a different aspect we missing in attack, and a lot of unwanted extra media attention
No doubt a fantastic talent

colombianmancunian

He is one of the best players to play the game, he will bring a stream of revenue to us. Having him will be amazing, but we need Qatar money for it to happen.

dinostar77

You have absolutely no qualms about Saudi ownership, as long as you get some shiny new players, right? Such a sorry state of affairs.
I have zero qualms, all billionaires hands are dirty. Do you think a chemical company like INEOS hasnt done some dodgy crap? Of course they have and ratcliffe "english glazer" as owner is responsible for that.

Bring on saudi ownership and all that wonga.

AjaxNL

I have zero qualms, all billionaires hands are dirty. Do you think a chemical company like INEOS hasnt done some dodgy crap? Of course they have and ratcliffe "english glazer" as owner is responsible for that.

Bring on saudi ownership and all that wonga.
Of course they have done some ‘dodgy crap’. Violating basic human rights and funding genocide wars is on a whole different level though. But whatever helps you sleep at night I guess

erikcred

You have absolutely no qualms about Saudi ownership, as long as you get some shiny new players, right? Such a sorry state of affairs.

Okay, what if these shiny new players win us shiny new trophies? Would you refrain from celebrating our success? If we score a last minute goal to win a treble again it won't count for you?

It's easy to sit back and say the popular thing to say, but it's hardly what any of us will practice in reality.

Chumpsbechumps

I’d rather have weghorst as our number 1 striker next season then have this clown at United. We’ve only just gotten rid of the Pogba and then Ronaldo sh*tshows, why would we bring another into the fold? Have some of you learned nothing?

What are people thinking, ETH has already begun the process of draining the swamp and getting the drama players from the squad, why would he want to take a chance on one of the top drama queens of football who has chilling out in a piss easy league and never actually played in the EPL.

He’s the exact opposite kind of character ETH would be looking for IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.