Nfl 2009-2010

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Dallas Clark is a Shannon Sharpe type ie very good
I know what you're getting at there but Clark and Sharpe are different types. Clark is more an H-back where as Sharpe was your classic modern era TE. Gonzalez and Witten are more like Sharpe (special mention to Coates as well).

I would have compared Sharpe to Gates but Gates is something so unique to the TE position that I can't compare him anyone. He gets much deeper than most TEs. He has more speed than just about any TE. He's a hybrid TE/WR.

There has been a rebirth of TE/H-backs/hybrids the last few years. There was some damn good TEs in the 90s: Sharpe, Coates, Novacek, Jones, Jackson, Gonzalez (last 3 years). Right now might be the golden era at the position.

I_live_cement

Cat freak
I know what you're getting at there but Clark and Sharpe are different types. Clark is more an H-back where as Sharpe was your classic modern era TE. Gonzalez and Witten are more like Sharpe (special mention to Coates as well).

I would have compared Sharpe to Gates but Gates is something so unique to the TE position that I can't compare him anyone. He gets much deeper than most TEs. He has more speed than just about any TE. He's a hybrid TE/WR.

There has been a rebirth of TE/H-backs/hybrids the last few years. There was some damn good TEs in the 90s: Sharpe, Coates, Novacek, Jones, Jackson, Gonzalez (last 3 years). Right now might be the golden era at the position.
I'd say Jermichael Finley is very much in the Gates mould.

Alex

Good post. I still think Sharpe is the best TE of all time, 3 rings love him on the CBS half time show

Alex

Great catch by Wayne

In my top 4: Fitz, Marshall, Johnson, Wayne

MrMarcello

Good post. I still think Sharpe is the best TE of all time, 3 rings love him on the CBS half time show
It's probably between him and Gonzalez, though Gates will be in this discussion by the end of his career. Ditka, Winslow, Newsome are great TE that never had the fortune to play on a great team, same with Gonzalez, although Ditka did win a ring with Dallas at the end of his career. Gates might finally get that elusive ring this season. There are some others that are very good but probably not in that top 5-6 elite, players like Smith, Casper, Bavaro, Christensen, Mackey. Those guys in the pre-pass happy era would have their numbers taken into consideration. Winslow and Newsome would probably catch 100 passes each year in today's passing era.

Alex

Looks like the drive of Champions if they put it in the endzone

MrMarcello

Great catch by Wayne

In my top 4: Fitz, Marshall, Johnson, Wayne
I find Marshall a bit overrated myself. I'd take at least four others before considering him. His avg per catch is what a good TE gets. They throw tons of short routes at him (like Welker). He's a very good player no doubt but his mental capacity would leave me wanting someone else when possible. He seems like a cancer, almost as bad as TO. Denver might trade him.

Why a top 4 though? A top 5 or top 6 seems better because there are some very good receivers that are worthy of elite status.

Fitzgerald, Johnson, Wayne, Moss, Marshall, Smith (NYG) with apologies to Ward, Welker, White and a few others.

Future bets are Austin, (Calvin) Johnson, Bess, Rice (if MIN finds another passing QB after Favre), probably a couple others I'm leaving out. Dez Bryant might be the class of receivers in the 2010 draft.

MrMarcello

And talent wise haven't seen anyone as good as him, although Marshall is close.
Are all Broncos the best ever in your view?

Jerry Rice was hands down the most talented WR in history, though Moss was better athletically. Marshall isn't near this category right now. He's not better than TO at his best.

Alex

Jerry Rice was hands down the most talented WR in history, though Moss was better athletically. Marshall isn't near this category right now. He's not better than TO at his best.
No :cool: although I have orange tinted glasses on like you do with the Cowboys. Whats wrong with appreciating Elway, Davis, Sharpe, and the person with most tackles in NFL history(albeit a weird unreliable to some degree stat).

Best Teams All Time

1. Steelers
2, Da Boys
3. Arguements begin I just no my side

Alex

I think you and I will always come to heads over 98 Broncos v any Dallas team though.

Hell Marcello it's not like I am sayign Steve Atwater is the best FS ever, although that hit on Okoye is probably glued into everyones mind

Alex

Rice was the best because he worked his ass off and put in, I said Moss was No2 the other spot will always go to Rice, it goes without saying

Cali Red

Man, B'more can't catch a break. Even when they're giving high effort it turns out bad.

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
The Ravens had chances and failed, looks like the domes will host the championship games as well.

For entertainment sake, the Jets in Indy could be funny

Alex

I honestly think the Colts would skullfeck the Jets this time and run up the score too

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
I honestly think the Colts would skullfeck the Jets this time and run up the score too
I did say funny ;)

Just realised my predictions have been disaster this off-season... 2-4 outright, 1-5 ATS... I got the Cowboys and Chargers with the Jets Spread tommorow, thank jesus i'm not putting too much money on these games.

I'm about even with the Ravens spread & Outright wins.

MrMarcello

Indy would murder the Jets a second time. They were running away with the game before they pulled the starters halfway through the third quarter. The Jets lone TD came off a kick return. Then Painter came in and gift wrapped a win to the Jets.

It's all moot though. San Diego will do the Jets what Indy did to the Ravens. Dominate.

MrMarcello

I think you and I will always come to heads over 98 Broncos v any Dallas team though.

Haha. That 98 team wouldn't stand a chance against the 92 or 93 Boys.

Hell Marcello it's not like I am sayign Steve Atwater is the best FS ever, although that hit on Okoye is probably glued into everyones mind
Atwater was a damn good player. Imagine him and Darren Woodson in the same secondary. Both had the athletic skill, speed and coverage abilities to play either position, though Woodson was primarily a SS since he had the likes of Marion, Teague and Washington next to him most of his career. Atwater played both positions often according to his bio.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
:lol: I can't believe Farve is still doing it in his 40s. The Dallas CB seemed shocked that Rice caught the ball.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I think Dallas are still in this, but they can't let the Vikings score again this half. Their offensive line have let them down and the resulting pressure on Romo has led to sacks and incompletions.

muller

I think Dallas are still in this, but they can't let the Vikings score again this half. Their offensive line have let them down and the resulting pressure on Romo has led to sacks and incompletions.
Jinx

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The Dallas D are playing well. Its their offense that can't seem to give Romo enough time to execute their plays. Jared Allen and Co are wreaking havoc in the Dallas backfield.