Nfl 2011-2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeyserSoze

Batigol > Bauer
Anyone else got tickets to the game at Wembley in October? Only started supporting Patriots this season but have been watching American football for a few years with my brothers who are long-time fans of Giants and Ravens, so it'll be great to finally go to a game. Hoping to catch a Giants or Jets game when I go to New York in the fall as well, depending on how easy/difficult it'll be to get tickets (anyone know?)
I’ll be there. Did you look into the Thomson Sports NFL packages this season?

There is probably a cheaper option elsewhere though.

mu77

Or if those three fumbles by NYG don't bounce right to themselves, NE gets the ball two (or was it three times) in NYG territory. Fair is fair.

Despite the time advantage category, that game was basically a Welker catch from being a Patriots win.

And if Eli is no a lock for the HOF, Plunkett better get his call too.
feck that - they didn't bounce to pats players. that's football , shit calls from refs are not players making plays. there were two dead on pass interference calls that even pats fans here in my house said were penos. those are shitty calls or non-calls. he didn't catch it did he and the giants got jobbed on that holding call. balls on the deck are 50/50 the pats didn't do the business. and it wasn't just a time advantage it was every single stat but sacks - ergo giants win their 8th championship.

we talked or posted about arcie and big jim. plunkett won the heisman after archie broke his forearm , arch was leading early season voting but big jim won it. he was then unfortunately drafted by the pats and archie by the equally inept saints. two really shit teams. jim got lucky by getting out and winning twice with the raiders - one as a 9-7 team one as a more dominant team that battered the skins. two great qb's who played (archie especially) in the shadows early on. yes archie went to the vikes but they weren't near as good as he raiders.

like eli jim could throw the ball to the wrong team but al davis' teams were the "everyone go deep" type of team. time will tell on eli. if he keeps this up he'll get in. one thing we can agree on is tony romo is not a cowboy QB. he makes danny white look down right HoF quality and dany could putt.

TheHorse'sMouth

Supports
Arsenal
Unlucky for Brady. Really wanted him to win one more superbowl, I was in tears near the end as the Pats receivers kept on dropping. Hopefully he'll get it next year, he's an absolute legend in my eyes after getting to where he has through battling against the odds throughout his whole life

mu77

Unlucky for Brady. Really wanted him to win one more superbowl, I was in tears near the end as the Pats receivers kept on dropping. Hopefully he'll get it next year, he's an absolute legend in my eyes after getting to where he has through battling against the odds throughout his whole life
i know - 6 foot 4 - strong armed good looking with a smoking hot wife who has 5 sisters (any clues on what they look like). he went to a div 1 school on a free ride and got drafted 199 for the nfl poor tom he's had it all against him. i'd trade with him and could care less , that's why he's great and i kid. he cares and wants it so bad that he keeps coming back. i live in the middle of new england and get the pats every week. he's better than expected to say the least. i remember watching my wife's face as bledsoe got drilled and saying to her well there's always next year (it's what we red sox fans do then to have him do what he's done. i'd argue with her about bledsoe all the time she'd say he's the best qb in the nfl , hell he wasn't even the best on his team. don't cry for tom he's doing fine. by the way he didn't come from a poor back ground like some.

KeyserSoze

Batigol > Bauer
I assume it is the Chung and Moore calls you are irate about. The Chung one, I thought was a definite penalty as he kind of hooked him while flying over the top. The Moore-Manningham one was debatable for me, even if Coughlin did explode on the sidelines. I thought Collinsworth did a good job on that play and the game in general. Look, in the regular season I believe that gets called 60% of the time especially if Revis is not involved. However, it is clear the refs were told to let them play a bit in the Playoffs. He put his hand on his shoulder but did not hook him or impede him enough to make it clear for me. Moore was much more physical on the final play of the Baltimore game against Pitta and it was not called. Could have been called but nothing to shout about, the Giants won anyway. Offense has too much in its favour in general.

KeyserSoze

Batigol > Bauer
Thoughts on nine seconds being taken off the play clock for 12 men in hail mary mode?

Probably a league issue rather than a Giant issue, even if it was planned.

At least they were not flopping around on the floor with fake injuries.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
He will definitely get one more at least. His receivers were at complete fault though not him. He tried everything he can.

KeyserSoze

Batigol > Bauer
To be fair the Welker throw wasn't perfect, should have been caught but not perfect. There was at least a five yard cushion to Phillips, he had time to throw it to his other shoulder. Not sure Welker had to adjust in the air either as it was floated in. It was just unfortunate, they connect 9 times out of 10. The play after I believe Branch should have settled in the zone away from Boley, Collinsworth did a good job on that play too.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
feck that - they didn't bounce to pats players. that's football , shit calls from refs are not players making plays. there were two dead on pass interference calls that even pats fans here in my house said were penos. those are shitty calls or non-calls. he didn't catch it did he and the giants got jobbed on that holding call. balls on the deck are 50/50 the pats didn't do the business. and it wasn't just a time advantage it was every single stat but sacks - ergo giants win their 8th championship.

we talked or posted about arcie and big jim. plunkett won the heisman after archie broke his forearm , arch was leading early season voting but big jim won it. he was then unfortunately drafted by the pats and archie by the equally inept saints. two really shit teams. jim got lucky by getting out and winning twice with the raiders - one as a 9-7 team one as a more dominant team that battered the skins. two great qb's who played (archie especially) in the shadows early on. yes archie went to the vikes but they weren't near as good as he raiders.

like eli jim could throw the ball to the wrong team but al davis' teams were the "everyone go deep" type of team. time will tell on eli. if he keeps this up he'll get in. one thing we can agree on is tony romo is not a cowboy QB. he makes danny white look down right HoF quality and dany could putt.
Regardless of all those "stat" lines, the Pats were a Welker catch from a win. So those stats ultimately mean nada. The Giants actually won the total yards war on the final drive going 88 yards. The key was NYG won the clock possession that kept the Pats from piling up points, and this was the key factor going into the game.

Raiders were not 9-7 when they won those SBs under Plunkett. They won more than 10 regular season games both times. They were the first wild card team to win a SB in 1980.

Romo is far better than White ever could imagine being. Put some actual defensive players around that team and a line that can block then perhaps Dallas could actually not choke for once. And coaching... and front office changes, but that won't happen. It's a mess from top to bottom but Tony gets all the blame. Romo is easily in the top 10 QBs in the league.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Thoughts on nine seconds being taken off the play clock for 12 men in hail mary mode?

Probably a league issue rather than a Giant issue, even if it was planned.

At least they were not flopping around on the floor with fake injuries.
Mike Golic and Herman Edwards were talking about this yesterday. They said that will eventually get changed to add the time back because DCs are doing this intentionally now days. It's like a five yard penalty too so well worth it. Golic and Edwards mentioned they think it will be time added back and a ten/fifteen yard penalty some day. Golic said Buddy Ryan was notorious for sending 12-14 guys out there on those plays since it's only a five yard penalty. If the offense can have time run off for infractions, defensive penalties should have time added back. It's a dead play anyhow (if the play does not pick up the yardage itself) - redo it, with time added back.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
The Giants definitely didn't plan it because the 12th guy was walking off the field with his helmet off. Time added back plus the standard penalty is good enough. There's still the risk of a QB spotting it and quick snapping for a free play. That penalizes the defense with yardage, a stopped clock, and a down replay.

mboRa ndomHer0723

Jaws out of MNF booth

Ron Jaworski no longer will be part ESPN's "Monday Night Football" in-game telecasts as part of a five-year contract extension that will feature a more expanded studio role for the former Philadelphia Eagles quarterback, the network announced Wednesday.

"MNF" TV broadcasts will have only two commentators beginning next season, with Mike Tirico and analyst Jon Gruden remaining in the booth, the network said in a news release.

Jaworski will take on expanded studio duties with "Sunday NFL Countdown," "Monday Night Countdown," "Pardon the Interruption" and other shows, the network said.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I quite enjoyed MNF with the 3 commentators although tbf Jaws said much less than Gruden so it's not much of a loss. Not sure how they incorporate him in NFL Countdown without getting rid of someone else.

RDCR07

I started following NFL last month, at the beginning of the New Year. I can't believe how addicted I am now to this game. I play Madden almost every day. I watch Youtube videos everyday.

RDCR07

Welcome to the club. Have you picked a team yet?
I can't choose between the Broncos and the Giants. I like the Giants because I love NY to death and probably am moving to NY after my graduation to work. Broncos due to Tebow and I always had a soft spot for Denver. But Tom Brady is my favorite QB. So its up and down. Maybe if I follow a season from the start, I will be able to pick one team.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
I can't choose between the Broncos and the Giants. I like the Giants because I love NY to death and probably am moving to NY after my graduation to work. Broncos due to Tebow and I always had a soft spot for Denver. But Tom Brady is my favorite QB. So its up and down. Maybe if I follow a season from the start, I will be able to pick one team.
Well if you're moving to New York, pick the Giants, because you'll actually get to watch their games on tv and celebrate with fellow fans and even head to the Meadowlands for a few games.

RDCR07

That's true but then again there is a possibility I will be staying here. I am looking for a job when I graduate college and if I don't find any here, then I will move there.

RDCR07

I still don't know all the positions that exist. I know the basic ones. But how many positions exist on both the defensive and offensive ends. Like from what I have learned, on the offensive end, there is a QB, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB and then the rest are offensive linemen. Am I right?

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
Five linemen. The rest can be anything. Traditional positions that I've seen talked about:

Offensive skill positions: Quarterback, halfback, fullback, wide receiver, tight end in many different combinations.
Offensive line positions: left tackle, left guard, center, right guard, right tackle

Defensive line positions: 2 defensive ends, 2 defensive tackles (4-3); 2 defensive ends, 1 nose tackle (3-4)
Defensive linebacker positions: 2 outside linebackers; 1 middle linebacker (4-3); 2 outside linebackers; 2 inside linebackers (3-4)
Defensive secondary: 2 cornerbacks, 1 strong safety, 1 free safety

Special teams (field goal scoring): kicker, holder, long snapper, blockers
Special teams (field goal defense): pass rushers
Special teams (punt returns): punt returner, jammers, line blockers
Special teams (punting): punter, gunners, line blockers
Special teams (kickoff): kicker, tacklers
Special teams (kickoff return): 2 kick returners, blockers

These are sort of the standard positions. Things get more complicated when you account for situational packages.

Chapster

Five linemen. The rest can be anything. Traditional positions that I've seen talked about:

Offensive skill positions: Quarterback, halfback, fullback, wide receiver, tight end in many different combinations.
Offensive line positions: left tackle, left guard, center, right guard, right tackle

Defensive line positions: 2 defensive ends, 2 defensive tackles (4-3); 2 defensive ends, 1 nose tackle (3-4)
Defensive linebacker positions: 2 outside linebackers; 1 middle linebacker (4-3); 2 outside linebackers; 2 inside linebackers (3-4)
Defensive secondary: 2 cornerbacks, 1 strong safety, 1 free safety

Special teams (field goal scoring): kicker, holder, long snapper, blockers
Special teams (field goal defense): pass rushers
Special teams (punt returns): punt returner, jammers, line blockers
Special teams (punting): punter, gunners, line blockers
Special teams (kickoff): kicker, tacklers
Special teams (kickoff return): 2 kick returners, blockers

These are sort of the standard positions. Things get more complicated when you account for situational packages.
to help you select your team:

RDCR07

Giants have a 75% chance they are going to lose Mario Manningham. He is very important to their success. Also what happens if teams are over their salary cap?

ha_rooney

I expect the Pats to franchise Welker. Hopefully both sides can agree a new long-term contract. Also, I'd like Green-Ellis to return as well, a reliable RB who suits the Pats offense.

ha_rooney

Thanks for that Jveezy. And what the difference between a halfback and a fullback?
The only difference I can tell between a FB & RB is that more often than not the FB is in there to block and help create routes for the RB to run into or they're there to offer pass protection for the QB. Sometimes teams will hand it off to the FB to make a run themselves but it's not too common.

Personally I think the Broncos should have Tebow at FB, McGahee at RB and a proper QB who can pass. That way Tebow can play to his strengths of running whilst also creating the possibility for some trick plays where he throws.

Giants have a 75% chance they are going to lose Mario Manningham. He is very important to their success. Also what happens if teams are over their salary cap?
I don't think that is possible for a team to go over the cap as every player contract has to be approved by the NFL and they won't approve a deal which means the team will be over the cap.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
Thanks for that Jveezy. And what the difference between a halfback and a fullback?
The only difference I can tell between a FB & RB is that more often than not the FB is in there to block and help create routes for the RB to run into or they're there to offer pass protection for the QB. Sometimes teams will hand it off to the FB to make a run themselves but it's not too common.
ha_rooney is pretty much right. Both are considered "running backs" but the term running back is generally used to refer to the halfback. Sometimes the halfback is also known as the tailback because he follows the fullback so he's at the tail end of the rush. With good fullbacks, you'll generally see them make the most crucial final block to open up gaping holes for the tailback.

You'll also see them carry the ball in short-yardage situations since they're generally a lot bigger or on very rare occasions they'll catch screen passes out of the backfield.

gormless

No idea how big an issue it is. i'm assuming they didn't declare the payments against cap space?

But I'd say intentionally injuring players or rewarding it anyway, is far worse than filming the other team. A forfeiture of a couple of draft picks I think is likely as well as fines. Draft picks will be next years as Pats have Saints 1st rounder this year

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
I assume suspensions will be handed down for the players accepting bounties as well as draft picks forfeited after the year, like you said, gormless, but moreso to prevent them from benefiting from earlier draft picks due to the extra losses caused by the suspension.

The GM will probably be fired and Payton and Williams will be heavily fined. I don't know if the league will suspend Williams though since that'd be punishing the Rams for what happened in New Orleans.

Neutral

BTV
-Saints fined a couple of million - Williams and Payton fined and suspended.
-couple of draft picks taken away.

I think Williams will be suspended, despite moving on to a new team - seeing as the Washington post is reporting he did the same when he was with the Redskins. So this was not a one off...he has a pattern of doing this(and as a serial offender, a suspension is forthcoming).

The Titans had a bounty system too - in fact I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't more teams with such a policy.

ha_rooney

I can understand the NFL taking away draft picks in this situation as it's pretty bad given they want to protect players but I read that the Chiefs could lose draft picks because their coach made a comment that he'd like Peyton. Apparently that comment amounts to a form of tapping up and they could be punished by getting a fine or losing picks. Ridiculous if true.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
I can understand the NFL taking away draft picks in this situation as it's pretty bad given they want to protect players but I read that the Chiefs could lose draft picks because their coach made a comment that he'd like Peyton. Apparently that comment amounts to a form of tapping up and they could be punished by getting a fine or losing picks. Ridiculous if true.
The 49ers lost a 3rd rounder for actually talking to Lance Briggs. I think a comment like that would be worth a sixth or seventh.

Status
Not open for further replies.