Nfl 2011-2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Saints have franchised Brees. Not sure how this affects their relationship long-term but if I was a Saints fan I'd have wanted the team to have got a long-term contract done with Brees and paid him whatever he wanted. However, in fairness Brees was offered the same as Brady & Manning over the length of their contracts yet still wanted more - he may have been a bit too greedy but still you have to keep a player like that whatever it takes.

Hopefully the Pats can reach an agreement with Welker without needing to franchise, although if we do franchise him I still expect a long-term deal to be reached before the season starts.

gormless

Saints have franchised Brees. Not sure how this affects their relationship long-term but if I was a Saints fan I'd have wanted the team to have got a long-term contract done with Brees and paid him whatever he wanted. However, in fairness Brees was offered the same as Brady & Manning over the length of their contracts yet still wanted more - he may have been a bit too greedy but still you have to keep a player like that whatever it takes.

Hopefully the Pats can reach an agreement with Welker without needing to franchise, although if we do franchise him I still expect a long-term deal to be reached before the season starts.
That screws the Saints massively then. They're gonna lose a very good guard, and Colston who is more than decent, due to lack of cap space. I'm assuming they're gonna lose some draft picks as well so they'll struggle to replace them. I know Brees has been no angel when it comes to money, but thats a huge feck up by the front office not getting his contract sorted

ha_rooney

No suprise that Peyton is being let go. Despite his incredible career with Indy, his age and injury troubles made it difficult for them to keep him and pay what he was owed. There will be a lot of pressure on Luck to deliver when he gets drafted.

I think Manning will end up either in Miami or Washington. Although, it would be fun if he went to the Jets and ended sharing the same stadium as Eli and playing in the same division as Brady and working with Rex.

KeyserSoze

Batigol > Bauer
Manning at the Jets is not my idea of fun, do not want to see that.

I think it’s a decision the Colts had to make, even if it was an emotional one.

Hope to see him back to full health and playing far away in the NFC West.

Neutral

BTV
I want Manning to sign for the Broncos - All the Tebow fans will commit suicide :lol:

More importantly my Redskins have decided to take another huge risk - THREE 1st round picks, and a 2nd round pick to the Rams for their No.2 pick - and with it - RG3.

Not sure what to think anymore, we spend a ton of money, but never seem to move up, not enough continuity - it's a steep price to pay, I just hope he doesn't become another Heath Shuler :(

ha_rooney

I want Manning to sign for the Broncos - All the Tebow fans will commit suicide :lol:
I too would like this to happen. In addition I would also like Tebow on the cover of Madden 13. I wonder if 'God' can deal with the Madden curse?

gbgary

More importantly my Redskins have decided to take another huge risk - THREE 1st round picks, and a 2nd round pick to the Rams for their No.2 pick - and with it - RG3.

Not sure what to think anymore, we spend a ton of money, but never seem to move up, not enough continuity - it's a steep price to pay, I just hope he doesn't become another Heath Shuler :(
daniel snyder is insane. not that i don't love rg3, it's losing the picks in the future. he could have signed matt flynn and kept all of that. one thing for sure...i'm going to love seeing the cowboys have to deal with rg3 twice a year for the next ten years. lol

as for manning...kc would be better for him than denver imo. they have a more complete team with much better receivers. the sanchez extention killed the nyj speculation.

Chapster

it's very pricey... but as an eagles fan I'm terrified. we are talking about a guy that plays the same kinda game as Michael Vick 2.0 (i.e. the passing vick), but has better accuracy, pocket presence and is a heckuva lot smarter

Chapster

This. If they manage to draft well, they have the makings of a very good team. Bradford could be brilliant with the right weapons
the problem is they have a shiteload of holes. WR, CB, Dline and oline

in short everything by QB/RB (whilst S-jax is healthy)

+ the organisation has a terrible recent history of drafting well (bradford and laurinitis aside)..... at least they have a new GM this year.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
the problem is they have a shiteload of holes. WR, CB, Dline and oline

in short everything by QB/RB (whilst S-jax is healthy)

+ the organisation has a terrible recent history of drafting well (bradford and laurinitis aside)..... at least they have a new GM this year.
Well the more picks the better then (assuming the new GM is any good).

Chapster

that's not anything like michael vick. :D
lol. people have compared his game abit more to aaron rodgers... (but clearly more athletic).

That is a scary prospect... and for memory skins have something like ~30m caproom to play with to fill in the other gaping hole they have at WR. Colston or V-Jax should be available..... or other decent options like meachem, wayne, garcon and manningham.

KeyserSoze

Batigol > Bauer
Rich Eisen ‏@richeisen.

Just hit me: The Jets have forever set the market for 4th year QBs with two years left on their deal coming off a 26 turnover season.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Can someone explain what's going on?

I watch NFL regularly, all the playoff games and some regular season games if I'm awake, but I don't follow a specific team or news or anything like that. I just like the sport. So I'm not very familiar with what goes on outside the pitch.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
Can someone explain what's going on?

I watch NFL regularly, all the playoff games and some regular season games if I'm awake, but I don't follow a specific team or news or anything like that. I just like the sport. So I'm not very familiar with what goes on outside the pitch.
Free transfers right now. Far more common in American sports. Contracts are due to expire soon and some very big name players have not signed extensions or have had their contracts terminated early. The NFL has a maximum team salary cap so teams that don't have room under the cap cannot sign players that will demand more expensive contracts. The "free agency" negotiating period is how teams pick up more experienced players. At the end of April is the college player draft where new young players will enter the league and find out where they will play.

ha_rooney

49ers look to have got Randy Moss. Great player when his attitude is correct, I think Harbaugh will get the best out of him.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Free transfers right now. Far more common in American sports. Contracts are due to expire soon and some very big name players have not signed extensions or have had their contracts terminated early. The NFL has a maximum team salary cap so teams that don't have room under the cap cannot sign players that will demand more expensive contracts. The "free agency" negotiating period is how teams pick up more experienced players. At the end of April is the college player draft where new young players will enter the league and find out where they will play.
I get the jist of the transfer dealings in America. I spent one season playing MLS in FM and tried to learn the system that way. I know the contracts aren't the same in the NFL but the draft system and how you trade players is pretty similar.

I was just wondering about these fines that many teams are getting and why are Rams so great now?

Chapster

I get the jist of the transfer dealings in America. I spent one season playing MLS in FM and tried to learn the system that way. I know the contracts aren't the same in the NFL but the draft system and how you trade players is pretty similar.

I was just wondering about these fines that many teams are getting and why are Rams so great now?
there are a few different things happening
1) Saints - their Defensive coordinator has admitted to contributing to a pool whereby players were incentivised to 'knock an opponent' out of the game (effectively try and injure a player). this is the so called 'bounty' scandal they are talking about. it's a very big thing because of
a) there has been a MAJOR push for player safety in recent years and this flies in the face of this
b) legal issues around league liability
c) potential salary cap issues

2) the Redskins and Cowboys have been penalised for trying to 'circumvent' the salary cap. Last year was not played under any salary cap because the old CBA had expired. in effect it was an 'uncapped' year. Apparently there was an agreement (not sure if it was written or a gentleman's agreement) among the franchise owners and the league not to try and circumvent the salary caps by frontloading contracts during the uncapped season to save on cap space later. Apparently the cowboys and redskins did just that and have been penalised approximately to the amount that they were under the cap this year. They can choose to spread the cap penalty between this season and next so as to not kill them off completely.

3) Rams are suddenly in a very good postion because in the next 3 years they will have 5 First round picks (1 this year @ # 6 overall and two each of the next two years.)

that's alot of ammo to either draft alot of high quality in the next couple of seasons or trade around for more depth/quality

ha_rooney

Saints resign Colston which is great news for them and Brees. Somewhat surprisingly, Miami have traded away Brandon Marshall to Chicago in return for the third-round pick in 2012 and 2013. I think that's a very good deal from the Bears' perspective.

manutddjw

Saints resign Colston which is great news for them and Brees. Somewhat surprisingly, Miami have traded away Brandon Marshall to Chicago in return for the third-round pick in 2012 and 2013. I think that's a very good deal from the Bears' perspective.
I'm hearing that the reason the Dolphins traded Brandon Marshall (makes absolutely no sense right now) is because they told Manning that they'll bring in Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark if he signs with them.

Neutral

BTV
F-ing bullshit...there was no written agreement. Taking away 18mil in cap space and more importantly announcing it just as FA opens. :mad:

Garcon & Morgan - signed
Royal - in talks
Carriker - retained

Not a bad start to FA. Needed to upgrade the wide receiving corps badly and this is going to do that...need some help with the O-line too, not sure what's going to happen with that, especially with the penalty.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
Morgan's a good signing. I wish the 49ers had kept him. He was the one receiver this year that was consistently performing well before he got injured. I think we might've won the NFC Championship game if we had him available.

Chapster

I'm hearing that the reason the Dolphins traded Brandon Marshall (makes absolutely no sense right now) is because they told Manning that they'll bring in Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark if he signs with them.
yeah he(marshall) may also be in abit of trouble with the law... again.

Chapster

F-ing bullshit...there was no written agreement. Taking away 18mil in cap space and more importantly announcing it just as FA opens. :mad:

Garcon & Morgan - signed
Royal - in talks
Carriker - retained

Not a bad start to FA. Needed to upgrade the wide receiving corps badly and this is going to do that...need some help with the O-line too, not sure what's going to happen with that, especially with the penalty.

no written agreement but no other teams did it and is also the reason why the skins had so much cap room this year to spend. decent start to free agency but you guys still need an out and out #1 receiver. None of those guys (nor santana) is really a legitimate #1

KeyserSoze

Batigol > Bauer
Any chance Jabar Gaffney becomes available with all the moves the Skins are making? What’s the fans take on him? He’s dependable player who has a good chemistry with Brady so I would have him back. As jveezy said in relation to Morgan, I cant help thinking another veteran option to replace Gronk in the biggest game of the year, could have swayed the outcome.

KeyserSoze

Batigol > Bauer
Just looked him up and he had much better stats than I thought last year too.

68 Receptions, 947 yards, 5 Touchdowns.

Cut him Shanahan. Cut him!

ha_rooney

Any chance Jabar Gaffney becomes available with all the moves the Skins are making? What’s the fans take on him? He’s dependable player who has a good chemistry with Brady so I would have him back. As jveezy said in relation to Morgan, I cant help thinking another veteran option to replace Gronk in the biggest game of the year, could have swayed the outcome.
Hard to say, Brady didn't really target Ocho or Branch much during the game.

I didn't watch much of Gaffney when he was first with the Pats, would he offer the deep threat we so desperately need?

KeyserSoze

Batigol > Bauer
Thought I remembered you posting on here for the Matt Cassel season? No?

I believe another option could have been the difference. Maybe just sour grapes on my part, they made the plays that mattered. The Giants realised Gronk was essentially a decoy as the game progressed, the thoughts of one of the linebackers were caught pretty well on Sound FX. Chad still didn’t know left from right in his 19th game and I thought Branch was targeted plenty for a third option. The first play of the final drive was close, if he reels in the Phillips tipped ball he had plenty of green to run into. He struggles to get off in press or man coverage for the most part and is getting up their in years. I still like him as a depth player though.

Gaffney is not a deep threat no but he’s different from what they had last season. Can run intermediate routes from the slot, fill multiple roles and has better size than Branch or Edelman. I thought he was a good fit for the three WR 07 offense they were running prior to Gronkandez. With McDaniel’s coming back I think they would kick the tyres if available. He was the one who paid the extra money for him to go to Denver in the first place.

KeyserSoze

Batigol > Bauer
These were the numbers. Felt like the Giants had a large advantage in time of possession though.

Aaron Hernandez 8 catches for 67 yards receiving, 1 TD (14 targets)
Wes Welker 7 catches, 60 yards receiving (8 targets) 2 rushes, 21 yards
Deion Branch 3 catches for 45 yards (6 targets)
Chad Ochocinco 1 catch, 21 yards (1 target)
Rob Gronkowski 2 catches for 26 yards receiving (3 targets)

Status
Not open for further replies.