NFL 2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Many people will point to deflategate and spygate, but that doesn't really bother me so much. It's the fact that Brady is one of the biggest crybabies in the whole league. Whines to the refs like his family's been weonged every time he takes a good hit. Also, him along with Belichick are notorious for playing for the pass interference calls in order to get the first down or big yardage. They did at the end of the game to set up the first and goal. Fitting. Aside from that, I'm a Denver fan and there is a success-based rivalry between the two teams. So yeah, Brady. One of the greatest for sure, but a total feckhead if you ask me. Good riddance once he retires.
So abit like Suarez?

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
The advantage has to be earned by actually scoring. Some teams may not have the ability to score and wind up punting and getting scored on by the opposition.
Just like the other examples I gave. But if such a rule was in in those sports it would still be an unfair advantage based on the toss of a coin.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
What you talking about? Who said he was cheated?
It's just an opinion relax

But one team having the ball extra cos they guessed a coin toss correct seems unfair
Don't like having your opinions commented on them don't come crying about it being unfair because the team you wanted did not win

Wah wah wah I don't like the outcome they need to change the rules. Wah wah wah. Cry me a river.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Add to that, the NFL is the only level of American football that I know of that uses that type of playoff format.

High school - each team gets a possession (from the 10)
College - each team gets a possession (from the 25)
Seems a lot fairer alright

Sylar

The advantage has to be earned by actually scoring. Some teams may not have the ability to score and wind up punting and getting scored on by the opposition.
Thing is, if they end up punting, then at least both teams get a possession.
I think for the Superbowl both teams should get a possession regardless of what happens, as it seems like the coin toss gives you advantage (regardless of what the numbers show)

Carolina Red

Staff
Which was a joke of a thing to begin with, even the overwhelming majority of Brady's peers and former players stated such. It also had zero bearing on the outcome of that Pats beatdown of the Colts. The spygate thing - now that's a legit claim but it falls on Belichick and staff not Brady.
I couldn't care less what others said about its effect on the game... he cheated.

He also benefited from the organization cheating in Spygate, which leads to me not standing the Pats, which feeds into me not liking him.

And what @SaintTresano said.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Don't like having your opinions commented on them don't come crying about it being unfair because the team you wanted did not win

Wah wah wah I don't like the outcome they need to change the rules. Wah wah wah. Cry me a river.
:lol:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Thing is, if they end up punting, then at least both teams get a possession.
I think for the Superbowl both teams should get a possession regardless of what happens, as it seems like the coin toss gives you advantage (regardless of what the numbers show)
The Falcons could've stopped them by way of turnover, punt, or even FG - but they weren't able to. Likewise, the Pats could've fecked things up by not advancing the ball, but they didn't. They instead did what they had to, to score a TD and win the game and SB.

Sylar

"Stop pretending he was cheated somehow"
Are you just dense or what? :lol:

JTW95

Gullible sausage
I think they should have a field goal shootout. Move back 10 yards after every kick. :lol:

Kazi

The Falcons could've stopped them by way of turnover, punt, or even FG - but they weren't able to. Likewise, the Pats could've fecked things up by not advancing the ball, but they didn't. They instead did what they had to, to score a TD and win the game and SB.
Would you agree that Brady's performance was oodie-doodie great?

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Yes. We know this. We know the Super Bowl wasn't decided on the toss of coin. But the toss gives one team an advantage. That's all we're saying. It seems a crazy way to decide such a major sporting event.

VP

Always amazes me that the owner collects the trophy - guess that's a reflection of modern-day capitalism: workers do the work, owner gets the credit.

Anyway as an outsider, couple of questions:

Why was that last pass called pass interference? Seemed like he just knocked it off his hand, surely that's legitimate in a sport where almost anything goes?

Isn't it bit ridiculous to have the first touch-down wins in a possession-based game like American football? Winning the toss is a crazy advantage.

Are most of the quarterbacks in the game white? Why is that so?

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
NCAA overtime rules are much better. Settle everything on the field. Not influenced by a coin toss.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Suarez is a despicable human inflicted with some kind of personality disease.

Brady is nowhere near the childish, nastiness level. Probably hasn't been a US athlete that despicable since Ty Cobb. Well, unless we take into account the athletes that committed murder like Aaron Hernandez et al.

Sylar

But youre relying on half your whole team, rather than the full element. Because of the luck of a coin toss one team gets that advantage.

Carolina Red

Staff

Why was that last pass called pass interference? Seemed like he just knocked it off his hand, surely that's legitimate in a sport where almost anything goes?

Isn't it bit ridiculous to have the first touch-down wins in a possession-based game like American football? Winning the toss is a crazy advantage.

1) Because the defender made contact with the receiver before the receiver made contact with the ball.
2) You're gonna get mixed responses on this. My opinion as a person who actually coaches football as part of his job... yes, it's ridiculous. Both teams should get a possession (as they do in high school and college football)
3) Yes. I'd suppose for the same reasons that most running backs are black.

JTW95

Gullible sausage
Always amazes me that the owner collects the trophy - guess that's a reflection of modern-day capitalism: workers do the work, owner gets the credit.

1. Till the receiver catches the ball he is almost untouchable. Minimal contact is allowed. When he has caught the ball it is clobbering time.

2. Is currently being argued in this thread.

3. There are a few black QBs. Russell Wilson, Teddy Bridgewater, Jameis Winston, Cam Newton and Geno Smith are all off the top of my head.

Florida Man

Because he wasn't facing the ball. They'll usually call that interference when the hands are also in the face. Not always consistent, though.

Yes. It's definitely an unfair advantage. People will argue that it's more entertaining but both teams having a chance to settle the game on the field is far more entertaining in my eyes. There are plenty of thrillers in the NCAA version that NFL overtimes can't compare to.

Yes, because it's not a position that relies solely on crazy athleticism. It's more a thinking man's position mixed with some extent of relative athletcism that can be performed by more ethnic backgrounds than say RB or WR.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Yes. We know this. We know the Super Bowl wasn't decided on the toss of coin. But the toss gives one team an advantage. That's all we're saying. It seems a crazy way to decide such a major sporting event.

Ummmm so you know the super bowl was not decided by the coin toss yet end your post saying it was. Lol.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
But youre relying on half your whole team, rather than the full element. Because of the luck of a coin toss one team gets that advantage.
Its completely fair when you consider all participants know the rules going into the game. It may seem a bit odd to someone just learning the rules from the outside. The Falcons had plenty of chances to thwart the Pats from scoring their final two TDs and preventing the game from even reaching OT, but they couldn't do it. So they were forced into a situation where the rules of OT were in play and it cost them. There's nothing unfair about it when both teams and all viewers know the rules going in.

Florida Man

Suarez is a despicable human inflicted with some kind of personality disease.

Brady is nowhere near the childish, nastiness level. Probably hasn't been a US athlete that despicable since Ty Cobb. Well, unless we take into account the athletes that committed murder like Aaron Hernandez et al.
And who did Aaron Hernandez play for? :wenger:

Blatzo

Holy shit!

Tonight we watched history get made. That Edelman catch will be talked about for the rest of forever. Brady absolutely cemented his place in the history books.

I didn't want them to win but I'm proud to have seen it live. Absolutely mind blowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.