NFL 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Surely you jest. Two rings and is currently 8th on the all time passing list (will be 6th by end of this year, surpassing Elway). That's more than enough to be in the Hall.

And to bring up Tyree as "bailing him out" is about as sensical as bringing up the tuck rule as bailing out Brady's first SB or saying he got lucky on his 4th because of a bad call by Pete Carroll. History remembers the result, not the circumstances leading up to it.

And lastly, bringing up Eli's INTs is not much of a defense of him not deserving to be in the Hall, as 7 of the 10 QBs on the all time INT list are in Canton.

Eli has done way more than enough by way of his rings and career stats
Would Eli be the worst regular season QB in the hall of fame?

The 2 Super Bowls will get him in for sure though

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Would Eli be the worst regular season QB in the hall of fame?

The 2 Super Bowls will get him in for sure though
It depends how you define things. Dan Marino won zero SBs and threw for more picks than Eli and comfortably made it in. Jim Kelly and Fran Tarkenton never won a SB and are in. Dan Fouts NEVER EVEN MADE IT to a Super Bowl and is in. Eli is well positioned to get in.

There is one QBs with two superbowls who hasn't made it in - Jim Plunkett. But Eli's career stats are way better.

freeurmind

weak willed
He got way too lucky in those two SBs. David Tyree bailed him out in the first one and Mario Manningham in the other. Probowls are irrelevant in my opinion.

He averages an interception a game and in three seasons he had 20, 25 and 27 interceptions. That is just criminal. Never had a 5000 pass yard season. Not thrown over 35 TDs ever in a season. 217 total interceptions is way too high for a QB and he isnt even done yet. He will touch 250 by the time he is done. He has never had a single digit intercetion year since his rookie season. 321:217 is his TD:INT ratio.
By most of this logic, Favre and Warner shouldn't be in either. Pretty sure Eli is top 10 in yards, completions, starts and touchdowns and I don't think he is that high on the all time interception list. Along with his 2 rings, its hard to see how he doesn't get it. Granted I'm a giants fan but I don't think this is much of a debate.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Given the ongoing revelations about CTE, and how it is destroying lives, it feels almost distasteful to watch this sport.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
havent watched any yet but is jared goff actually good now?
He had the best game of his young career so far. Not sure he can do the same against an elite defense like the Broncos. Still has ways to go but I think he will come good.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Given the ongoing revelations about CTE, and how it is destroying lives, it feels almost distasteful to watch this sport.
It is probably the top threat right now to American Football's future as the top sport in the US. I think there is some indications that there are starting to be serious questions asked by parents when deciding to let their kids play in youth leagues, not sure it is really affecting the numbers playing yet, but it could do so soon. Sooner or later the tipping point will be reached in regards to the deaths of former players where people will start turning away from watching the games. I don't think it will happen over night, it will probably be a slow decline.

The thing is the health of former players is not even a new problem, the focus on brain injuries is, but I remember back in the 1980's reading an article in Sports Illustrated about the lives of some former NFLers and the toll the game had taken on their bodies. The constant pain (and with it, addiction to anything that would dull the pain). The various levels of decreased mobility. Suicides (now we know many were probably due to brain injuries). Inability to hold a job afterwards due to the effects of the way the game broke their bodies (this was still a time when players were not leaving the game set for life money wise). Knees, shoulders, hips, backs, arms, damages to organs, plus the brain damage caused by the concussions.

You do start to wonder if you should be watching the games anymore, but yet I do.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
:lol:

Get a fecking grip
:lol:

fecking do one
Unconscionable. ;)

It is probably the top threat right now to American Football's future as the top sport in the US. I think there is some indications that there are starting to be serious questions asked by parents when deciding to let their kids play in youth leagues, not sure it is really affecting the numbers playing yet, but it could do so soon. Sooner or later the tipping point will be reached in regards to the deaths of former players where people will start turning away from watching the games. I don't think it will happen over night, it will probably be a slow decline.

The thing is the health of former players is not even a new problem, the focus on brain injuries is, but I remember back in the 1980's reading an article in Sports Illustrated about the lives of some former NFLers and the toll the game had taken on their bodies. The constant pain (and with it, addiction to anything that would dull the pain). The various levels of decreased mobility. Suicides (now we know many were probably due to brain injuries). Inability to hold a job afterwards due to the effects of the way the game broke their bodies (this was still a time when players were not leaving the game set for life money wise). Knees, shoulders, hips, backs, arms, damages to organs, plus the brain damage caused by the concussions.

You do start to wonder if you should be watching the games anymore, but yet I do.
I was half talking tongue in cheek when I said it, but thanks for the serious response. The corner has been turned for me personally because I know several former NFL players, one who is a good friend, and it's hard to see the worry that this sort of thing brings about. One good friend of my wife was diagnosed with ALS, and it's awful to see his state now. From being a supreme athlete to being rake thin and struggling with basic things. I think the Hernandez autopsy the other day was another wake up call. Right now it's hard for me to watch a game, see a hit, and not think about the contribution to brain damage. It just becomes a lot more personal when these players become people you know in your life, rather than just a distant celebrity.

I know that every former player I have talked to about it, will not let their kids play under any circumstances. That's pretty telling. I just have the feeling that the league sees these people as so disposable, and it makes it hard for me to stomach right now. I'm seriously not judging anyone for watching it. I just had a bit of a moment yesterday because of a conversation I'd had.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Busy week. Finally caught up with all the games and scores. Some surprises indeed. Didn't expect the packers and broncos games to be so one sided.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
CTE, the general behavior by the NFL have really taken a toll on my enjoyment of football.

Status
Not open for further replies.