NFL 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carolina Red

Staff
See my follow up post for context.
I've had several concussions myself. I myself worry that I'm going to be affected by the hits my brain took.

That said, I pay bills partly by being paid to coach football.

Also, if I'm not coaching it, someone else will be, and I can't trust them to coach the players the right way as much as I can trust myself.

entropy

I've had several concussions myself. I myself worry that I'm going to be affected by the hits my brain took.

That said, I pay bills partly by being paid to coach football.

Also, if I'm not coaching it, someone else will be, and I can't trust them to coach the players the right way as much as I can trust myself.
If there is to be a drastic change in the way the game is going to be played. Wouldn't it affect your coaching responsibilities in a similar way?

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
So Trump has weighed in on the anthem protests & said “Wouldn't you love to see one of these NFL owners, when somebody disrespects our flag, to say, 'Get that son of a bitch off the field right now. Out. He's fired! He's fired!"

It won’t happen but I would love to see a majority of players sit during the anthem this week. fecking absurd to think that sitting peacefully to protest social injustice is a fireable offence - especially in a country that’s supposed to uphold free speech & democratic values.

He also said that NFL ratings are down "massively, massively," because people prefer watching him :houllier::lol:

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
So Trump has weighed in on the anthem protests & said “Wouldn't you love to see one of these NFL owners, when somebody disrespects our flag, to say, 'Get that son of a bitch off the field right now. Out. He's fired! He's fired!"

It won’t happen but I would love to see a majority of players sit during the anthem this week. fecking absurd to think that sitting peacefully to protest social injustice is a fireable offence - especially in a country that’s supposed to uphold free speech & democratic values.

He also said that NFL ratings are down "massively, massively," because people prefer watching him :houllier::lol:
:lol: :lol:

Carolina Red

Staff
What age level?

I played from age 7 through 13 then stopped to focus on baseball and basketball. I'm now of the opinion there should be a age minimum for tackle/helmets/pads and all that. Perhaps age 12 or 14.
Varsity high schoolers

I used to be anti-"that" but have since come around to it because of all of the poor tackling habits that I have to train out of kids when they get to me.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Would you find it distasteful to watch typical medieval entertainment in the Colosseum?
How on earth are they comparable :lol:

It's as if people think they are forced to play and aren't earning millions of dollars.

Things need to be done about CTE no doubt but to call it distasteful for fans to watch the sport is bizarre.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
How on earth are they comparable :lol:

It's as if people think they are forced to play and aren't earning millions of dollars.

Things need to be done about CTE no doubt but to call it distasteful for fans to watch the sport is bizarre.
I wasn't comparing them. I was asking a related question which would bring us to an abstract point which touches on something meaningful and relevant. Instead you're playing intellectually dishonest games. That's a shame.

For what it's worth, Roman athletes were very well paid too. Some have argued that Diocles is the best-paid athlete in history. Incidentally, some have argued that extreme levels of material and cultural capital bestowed upon athletes is a sign of a civilisation on the brink of collapse...

RoadTrip

Opinions on Goff?

Looking like a definite starting caliber QB these days? Seems so to me, though still a bit "deer in the headlights" at times.
IMO he looks good. Still got a lot to learn of course as a young QB - his pocket movement in particular isn't amazing. But hes defo a starter level QB with plenty of upside. He can make all the throws really.

Brwned

Do you find it distasteful to watch boxing?
Very much so. I'm not sure how you can watch it without thinking of this...
Johnny’s screwed. He knows it. He’s forgetting things. He’s drinking too much. He’s paranoid, can’t control himself, to the point where, one day, he loses it with the teller in the bank and threatens to blow the place up. His speech is slurred. He’s increasingly reliant on the sign-language skills he picked up while training a young deaf boxer, David Davis, "the Silent Bomber" – whose career ended when he was injured in a car crash.

“What’s going to happen to these guys that are pasta brains from taking hits?” Johnny asks Jerry. “You know, these boxers,” he continues, “everybody wants to make money on ’em and nobody puts anything into ’em. They just leave ’em at the roadside. And that’s not right!”

He’s talking as much about his own life as anyone else’s. His liver is failing. He’s 61 and running out of time. The boxing community in Chicago rallies round, holds a fundraiser for his medical bills, but when he dies, a few months later, he dies penniless.
Pretty perverse, in my view.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Very much so. I'm not sure how you can watch it without thinking of this...

Pretty perverse, in my view.
well yeah I would agree if anybody was forced to do it, but to at least the best of my knowledge nobody is forced to box and nobody is forced in to youth football, going to college to play football or turning pro. We aren't talking slaves here mate, we are talking human beings that have the right to choose whether they partake in such a sport. Should i be made to feel guilty for watching a sport for 20 years and loving it? no, of course not and I won't.

The same risks could be taken in Rugby as well, but again that doesn't stop anybody from choosing to take part. choosing, not being forced.

Brwned

well yeah I would agree if anybody was forced to do it, but to at least the best of my knowledge nobody is forced to box and nobody is forced in to youth football, going to college to play football or turning pro. We aren't talking slaves here mate, we are talking human beings that have the right to choose whether they partake in such a sport. Should i be made to feel guilty for watching a sport for 20 years and loving it? no, of course not and I won't.

The same risks could be taken in Rugby as well, but again that doesn't stop anybody from choosing to take part. choosing, not being forced.
I would guess that the majority of people to have played sport at some point in their lives didn't choose to play sports. In the majority of cases it's parents and schools that get kids to play sports. I think we can both agree that is not the child's choice.

At a certain point in time kids begin to gain some independence and exercise some control over their lives, but they're rarely informed decisions. If by that point the kid is particularly good at that sport he is then academically, economically and socially incentivised to continue to do it, which has a certain degree of influence over how much "choice" they have.

At that time do you think they are being given a complete and objective assessment of the risks and benefits of playing the sport long-term? Perhaps more to the point, do you think they have the capacity to make an informed decision on an issue which people twice their age are struggling to fully comprehend?

I have no interest in making you feel guilty but you owe to it those involved in the sport to be honest about the reality. Justifying it by saying it's not slavery is obfuscating the truth.

Spousal rape is seen as seperate from rape but they're both criminal, reprehensible behaviours. Well, now they are. In some countries. Just half a century ago in the Western world it was a perfectly acceptable social norm. Things move on, thankfully. Some social norms are particularly deeply embedded in certain cultures, though. They might be embedded for benign reasons and practiced by well-meaning people but that doesn't mean they should be exempt from repudiation.

Carolina Red

Staff
In the majority of cases it's parents and schools that get kids to play sports. I think we can both agree that is not the child's choice.
I've seen parents tell kids to play, but then the kid half asses it and never really tries in practice, so does nothing but take up a jersey.

I've never seen a school able to force a kid to play a sport. Believe me, I wish I could force kids to wrestle, but it ain't happening.

Brwned

I've seen parents tell kids to play, but then the kid half asses it and never really tries in practice, so does nothing but take up a jersey.

I've never seen a school able to force a kid to play a sport. Believe me, I wish I could force kids to wrestle, but it ain't happening.
Of course, there's lots of anecdotal evidence supporting that view. I think I was about 7 years old when I came back from Gaelic training and told my mum I quit. I was crap, it was cold and wet, none of my close mates were in the same team and I just wasn't interested. It took a bit of negotiation and maybe a few tears on my part...but I got there. Never played again. There are lots of stories like that.

On the flipside, there is all sorts of anecdotal evidence from elite sports players that say the reason they stayed in the sport, at critical stages, was because of their parents. Their dads, usually. That can be found at the top level of almost any sports. So it depends really on what you're defining as choice. It's not really black and white, in my view.

I'd say Roland is using the broadest possible definition to put him at ease with his own choices. The social, academic and economic benefits play a huge role in influencing that choice, and in some cases making that choice for them. It's nice to think that we're in total control of our own destiny but I think we can all acknowledge the reality is a lot more nuanced than that. Our continued investment in the sport contributes to the strength of those incentives.

Carolina Red

Staff
On the flipside, there is all sorts of anecdotal evidence from elite sports players that say the reason they stayed in the sport, at critical stages, was because of their parents. Their dads, usually. That can be found at the top level of almost any sports. So it depends really on what you're defining as choice. It's not really black and white, in my view.
In those instances, the kid still chose to go out there and put work in and become elite at the sport. They could have chosen to be a bench warmer.

Brwned

In those instances, the kid still chose to go out there and put work in and become elite at the sport. They could have chosen to be a bench warmer.
I think that's a very broad and misleading description of choice, which ignores the realities of the way the world works and basic psychological principles of internal and external stimuli. Depending on how far you want to stretch that definition you can reasonably come to the conclusion that slaves chose to be slaves.

Carolina Red

Staff
I think that's a very broad and misleading description of choice, which ignores the realities of the way the world works and basic psychological principles of internal and external stimuli. Depending on how far you want to stretch that definition you can reasonably come to the conclusion that slaves chose to be slaves.
So the kid didn't have the choice to ride the pine?

Because they do. Kids make the choice to get benched every day. There's a ton of talented athletes who don't play because they're outworked. Work ethic is a choice.

Becoming an NFL player is the result of a massive list of choices that that athlete made throughout the entire course of their career. One of those choices was to work their ass off to not be benched.

Brwned

So the kid didn't have the choice to ride the pine?

Because they do. Kids make the choice to get benched every day.

Becoming an NFL player is the result of a massive list of choices that that athlete made throughout the entire course of their career. One of those choices was to work their ass off to not be benched.
Ok. You're very close to this particular situation so I think you're looking at it from a particularly personal and narrow perspective, but that's just my view. If you're of the viewpoint that everyone ends up where they are by choice then fair play. I think there is all kinds of evidence across all walks of life which contradict that, and indicate the significant role of external influences, but hey-ho.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Nobody is in the NFL without an incredible desire to be there.

Can we can back to actual NFL stuff now?

Carolina Red

Staff
Ok. You're very close to this particular situation so I think you're looking at it from a particularly personal and narrow perspective, but that's just my view. If you're of the viewpoint that everyone ends up where they are by choice then fair play. I think there is all kinds of evidence across all walks of life which contradict that, and indicate the significant role of external influences, but hey-ho.
It has nothing to do with being close to something.

You've got the choice to try or not to try in a sport. If forced to play basketball, I could choose to air ball every shot, then get benched. It's not as complicated as some people make it out to be.

There are tons of elite talents out there from every sport, born with physical edges over the average person, who are not playing because of choices they make.

Carolina Red

Staff
Nobody is in the NFL without an incredible desire to be there.

Can we can back to actual NFL stuff now?
Broncos vs. Bills should be a good matchup of stout defenses.

Gonna be interesting to see if Siemian can handle another test like this after his showing last week.

Brwned

It has nothing to do with being close to something.

You've got the choice to try or not to try in a sport. If forced to play basketball, I could choose to air ball every shot, then get benched. It's not as complicated as some people make it out to be.

There are tons of elite talents out there from every sport, born with physical edges over the average person, who are not playing because of choices they make.
Agreed. And there are lots of people that spend years playing sports because of choices they didn't make, or weren't able to make in an informed, rational manner.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Broncos vs. Bills should be a good matchup of stout defenses.

Gonna be interesting to see if Siemian can handle another test like this after his showing last week.
It's definitely an intriguing one, the run game is going to be important once again. If we can stop them and C.J can do his thing that will free up 88 & 10 for Siemian.

Looking forward to it!

RoadTrip

It's definitely an intriguing one, the run game is going to be important once again. If we can stop them and C.J can do his thing that will free up 88 & 10 for Siemian.

Looking forward to it!
:lol: Are we really saying Broncos Bills is intriguing?! You just knocked the razzletazzle out of Dallas and you think the match up against Bills will be intriguing?!

Maybe I'm just stupid and have missed a whole heap of sarcasm :lol:

London game baby! Getting there at 9:30am, I think I'll be drunk by 12!

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
:lol: Are we really saying Broncos Bills is intriguing?! You just knocked the razzletazzle out of Dallas and you think the match up against Bills will be intriguing?!

Bills Defense is far better than the Cowboys. I think it'll be close in the first half but the Broncos will have a 2 score lead going in to the 4th quarter.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

Bills D is solid!

RoadTrip

Bills D is solid!
Bills Defense is far better than the Cowboys. I think it'll be close in the first half but the Broncos will have a 2 score lead going in to the 4th quarter.
But they don't score points doh!

I think Broncos trashing of Cowbots was obviously anomalously big but I can't see you having any issue whatsoever vs the bills.

Status
Not open for further replies.