NFL 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
:lol: me and my mate in Denver used to do that stupid Tebow pose when we were drunk

That playoff winning TD was amazing :drool:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Should the VIkings offer Cousins and two first rounders for Watson?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Getting Watson for only two first-rounders is a no-brainer for most franchises. Like I've read on Twitter, put him with Shanahan on the Niners and they have the potential to create a dynasty.

He should be anyone's #2 pick if you need to build a roster from scratch, after Mahomes.

EDIT: or maybe Wilson and Rodgers before him if you wanna win early on and don't care about long-term.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Broncos ST coordinator expected to return in 2021.

Because sure, why not, keep all the shit coaches in their jobs.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
:lol: me and my mate in Denver used to do that stupid Tebow pose when we were drunk

That playoff winning TD was amazing :drool:
What was more amazing was his 9-for-26 performance at New England the following week, which is probably when Elway fully realized this clown was never winning anything in the NFL. Meanwhile, the GOAT threw five TDs in the first half that game, up 35-7 at half rendering Tebow's 50's style offense impotent. Remember? :)

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
What was more amazing was his 9-for-26 performance at New England the following week, which is probably when Elway fully realized this clown was never winning anything in the NFL. Meanwhile, the GOAT threw five TDs in the first half that game, up 35-7 at half rendering Tebow's 50's style offense impotent. Remember? :)
:confused: Manning never played for New England?

:p

JPRouve

Scout
No, they should offer more.
What else, a couple of mid round picks?

Keeping in mind that generally blockbuster trades involve a player that is supposed to be one of the best and on a rookie contract and the latter isn't the case for Watson and should reduce his value for NFL front offices.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
:lol:

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

Keeping in mind that generally blockbuster trades involve a player that is supposed to be one of the best and on a rookie contract and the latter isn't the case for Watson and should reduce his value for NFL front offices.
Yeah, it would require additional picks. Maybe not quite Herschel Walker level perhaps, but as above if you’re building a franchise long-term then he’s probably the 2nd most attractive player in the whole league.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

If he was still on his rookie contract, any receiving team should give him a massive new one anyway. Keeping in mind that it’s only a 4-year deal, it’s basically a no-lose situation. If he stays at his current level you’ll pay the going rate for him, if he improves even further his current deal might look like a bargain when it expires.

JPRouve

Scout
Yeah, it would require additional picks. Maybe not quite Herschel Walker level perhaps, but as above if you’re building a franchise long-term then he’s probably the 2nd most attractive player in the whole league.
I'm asking you what you think would be enough, I'm not arguing against the idea of more picks. I just want to have an idea about what people think is his trade value.

JPRouve

Scout
If he was still on his rookie contract, any receiving team should give him a massive new one anyway. Keeping in mind that it’s only a 4-year deal, it’s basically a no-lose situation. If he stays at his current level you’ll pay the going rate for him, if he improves even further his current deal might look like a bargain when it expires.
That's not the problem. If you have Watson on a rookie contract for 2 years then you have two years with extra money and the ability to push for a SB win by overloading your team in certain areas. You can't do that with a QB on a massive contract, that's where the value of rookie contracts come from.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
That's not the problem. If you have Watson on a rookie contract for 2 years then you have two years with extra money and the ability to push for a SB win by overloading your team in certain areas. You can't do that with a QB on a massive contract, that's where the value of rookie contracts come from.
But out of curiosity, how many top tier QBs on their rookie contract get their contract run down to the last year? Not sure but I don’t think any teams would take that bet (e.g. the problems with Dak). I think Mahomes, Goff, Wentz and Watson all got their new deals before the last year of their contract. If any team traded for Watson they wouldn’t keep him for extra years on a rookie contract if he still was, but rather immediately give him a big deal (even bigger than his current one) after the trade imo, like the Bears did with Mack for example.

JPRouve

Scout
But out of curiosity, how many top tier QBs on their rookie contract get their contract run down to the last year? Not sure but I don’t think any teams would take that bet (e.g. the problems with Dak). I think Mahomes, Goff, Wentz and Watson all got their new deals before the last year of their contract. If any team traded for Watson they wouldn’t keep him for extra years on a rookie contract if he still was, but rather immediately give him a big deal (even bigger than his current one) after the trade imo, like the Bears did with Mack for example.
The extension starts at the end of the new contract, it's not like in football.

JPRouve

Scout
Add another 1 and two 2’s to start talks.
I don't think anyone* pays that in the Salary cap era. High draft picks are way too valuable in terms of cap management in the NFL.

*Outside of Bill O"Brien.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I don't think anyone* pays that in the Salary cap era. High draft picks are way too valuable in terms of cap management in the NFL.

*Outside of Bill O"Brien.
And that’s why a deal like this probably won’t happen. You’d need to give them something other than Cousins in this scenario, as they’d prefer to take a flyer on a cheaper QB like a mid-round pick instead of paying him for a couple seasons when they won’t be winning anything.

You’re not giving up JJ, but other assets would have to be sacrificed.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
The extension starts at the end of the new contract, it's not like in football.
Doh, don’t know why I missed that.

Makes sense then yeah, but still think two first-rounders would be very cheap to get Watson.

JPRouve

Scout
And that’s why a deal like this probably won’t happen. You’d need to give them something other than Cousins in this scenario, as they’d prefer to take a flyer on a cheaper QB like a mid-round pick instead of paying him for a couple seasons when they won’t be winning anything.

You’re not giving up JJ, but other assets would have to be sacrificed.
Any other assets would dramatically reduce the cost in picks, that's why I didn't mention them. Cousins is valuable because he is an above average starter, the Texans could be good with him while also having a couple of additional first rounders and a few mid round picks to build the roster. The likes of JJ, Hunter and O'Neill would almost put both teams on equal footings, JJ and Hunter are as valuable as Watson, they are among the very best players in their position groups and have the benefit of being on great contracs. O'Neill could be an option because his contract is expiring and will cost a fair amount of money but even then he is worth more than a first rounder.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It’s pointless even wondering about it, Watson is gonna go to the Patriots for 2 5th rounders and take a 60% pay cut because BB is the devil.

JPRouve

Scout
Didn't Washington give up a boatload to draft RG3?
Washington have been chronically incompetent, I should have added them to O'Brien. But I make a difference between trading for a high draft pick and trading for a player with a large contract, I could see a team do the former and it happens.

Edit: The difference is that when you trade draft picks in order to pick sooner, the strategy is that you will be able to compensate for the loss of picks through free agency since your starting QB is on a relatively cheap contract for a while. But you don't have that benefit when you trade for a player with a large contract, you can't compensate through free agency.

JPRouve

Scout
they really aren't. watson is the second most valuable player in the league.
You can't make that kind of statement, it depends a lot on which teams are involved and how they are supposed to acquire his contract.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
On no planet is an almost 32 year old JJ Watt anywhere near as valuable as a just 25 year old Watson.

Like, not even nearly.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
You can't make that kind of statement, it depends a lot on which teams are involved and how they are supposed to acquire his contract.
You cant make that statement for any position other than QB. You have to for QB. Its why I posted the tj watt poll. TJ Watt, Chase Claypool and 2 first round picks might start approaching Watson's value.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
On no planet is an almost 32 year old JJ Watt anywhere near as valuable as a just 25 year old Watson.

Like, not even nearly.
Justin Jefferson. We were talking about a trade with the Vikes and I was too lazy to spell out Jefferson.

But even he is nowhere near as valuable.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
All-Pro teams are out. I love Mathieu but him over Jessie Bates seems weird for this season. Scherff over Teller also stands out as questionable at RG. And I know there’s no second team TE because Kelce was unanimous but Waller really deserved that one.

JPRouve

Scout
You cant make that statement for any position other than QB. You have to for QB. Its why I posted the tj watt poll. TJ Watt, Chase Claypool and 2 first round picks might start approaching Watson's value.
No you can't make that statement for all positions. While there is more room for QBs, it's still dependent on context and you are always trading a player plus his contract, in the NFL or the NHL you can't ignore contracts and they reduce the value of all players QBs included. In 2022 there is 36m between Jefferson's and Watson's cap numbers, that alone is worth at least a first round pick and it's the same story the following years.The rookie contract has its own value.

And don't get me wrong I get why you want to make an exception for a QB(it is the most valuable position when cap management isn't involved) but the reality is that a QB isn't worth that much without a solid team around him, Watson is the example of it.

Eboue

No you can't make that statement for all positions. While there is more room for QBs, it's still dependent on context and you are always trading a player plus his contract, in the NFL or the NHL you can't ignore contracts and they reduce the value of all players QBs included. In 2022 there is 36m between Jefferson's and Watson's cap numbers, that alone is worth at least a first round pick and it's the same story the following years.The rookie contract has its own value.

And don't get me wrong I get why you want to make an exception for a QB(it is the most valuable position when cap management isn't involved) but the reality is that a QB isn't worth that much without a solid team around him, Watson is the example of it.
Its because QB is far and away the most important position.

JPRouve

Scout
Its because QB is far and away the most important position.
Which doesn't mean that all QBs are more valuable than players in other positions particularly when cap management is involved.

Eboue

Which doesn't mean that all QBs are more valuable than players in other positions particularly when cap management is involved.
They are when they are as good as Watson. I wouldn't suggest a team with other big contracts take on someone like Stafford but Watson is elite and you do what you have to do in order to make it fit.

Rawls

You'll never find, that microfilm of mine

That's two candidates who have now rejected the chance to even interview for the Texans job (Bieniemy and Eberflus). There's this pastor called Jack Easterby in the Texans FO who seems to be calling all the shots for the Texans right now, even with the new GM in place. What's even worse for the Texans is that Easterby has all this control yet has absolutely zero background in player personnel.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-jack-easterby-hes-not-a-personnel-person-no/
https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/12/10/e...texans-chaos-after-power-struggle-daily-cover

Poor Deshaun :(

Status
Not open for further replies.