NFL 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Solid performance by Brady & the Bucs. The last few weeks it looks like they’ve stopped the “throw everything downfield” approach & have a better balance with the run which sets up play action. The GB game will be a good one, I don’t think Bucs shut down GB like they did in the regular season & with it being in GB too, I’d give them the advantage.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Actually to be fair Robin is pretty fair in his TB opinions and you can have a sensible discussion with him.
Not sure why I'm mentioned since I think that was in response to Altodevil? Either way, I said this about the Bucs on Sep 3th:

Nah, I'm not buying into the hype.

Brady is friggin' 43 years old.
Mike Evans is a deep-ball threat who benefited from Jameis' gung-ho "sling it" attitude, which Brady i) doesn't have and ii) doesn't have the arm for anymore.
Chris Godwin is dealing with small injuries, might be moved to the perimeter again if Ritchie James becomes the slot receiver, and hasn't looked outstanding in camp so far according to Beat writers.
Fournette is just a downhill runner who will get what's blocked for him. Barely an upgrade over Ronald Jones for me.
Gronkowski hasn't had glowing reports at all, struggling to pick up the offense and might only feature as a RedZone weapon or on 3th-down situations.

It looks great on paper but not for me. Their pass defense was wank last season too and hasn't had a meaningful upgrade unless I forget someone.
And let's not pretend that Gronk was still awesome in his last year at NE. He was already clearly past his prime and is just coming back from a year off. I get that he looks great on paper but there's at least 10 TEs I'd rather have on my team right now than him.

Last season, Jameis was willing to stare the pressure down and wait till the last split second to launch a rocket down the field. Brady will throw the ball away or check down as soon as he sees a defender closing in on him. His deep ball accuracy might be "fine" I guess but how many of them will there be? I have my doubts.
What I was wrong about: their defense has been good, and Gronk has probably been just inside top 10 TE territory but only because of the absolute horrific state of the TE landscape :D

I don't have any love nor hate for Brady - rather a lot of respect for what he's accomplished, always seems to get it done, but I'd rather see someone else win it this season yes (not Mahomes) - Rodgers on his revenge tour, or Brees in potentially his final year would've been my preference over Brady. Him winning a 7th ring at a new franchise is a great narrative as well though and would truly cement his unquestionable GOAT status.

Like I said, "poor" was probably an overreaction but I wasn't really impressed either. He's just a game manager now and he takes what's given to him, but let's not pretend he won that game for the Bucs last night, imo he just didn't lose it and that was enough with the turnovers his defense was forcing.

The claims that he has 3 All-Pro receivers and the greatest TE in history hold little value either, since AB is not 2015-2018 AB, Godwin dealt with injuries, Mike Evans wasn't all that good this season and Gronk didn't catch on until halfway through the season.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I don’t know why I’ve allowed myself to be baited but alas only a few minutes wasted...

1. Comment about defence actually contradicts your argument because as it’s constant to last year in performance, suggests something new caused the improvement (Brady?)
2. When RBs are drafted (or players overall for that matter) doesn’t mean anything. It’s about actual performance. So another bad argument. RBs have played well though.
3. Good receivers. True. But let’s not act like Gronk and Brown are anywhere near their all pro levels. Brees was once one of the best QBs of all time. Would you say therefore that the Saints had the best QB in the league this year? No you wouldn’t so another bad argument.
4. Again Arians was the coach at TB last year so... again goes against your argument.

Pats system working? Please. Not even entertaining that.

And you make it sound like a QB who doesn’t throw INTs is just a given. As if that isn’t a skill in itself :lol:

Anyway, I got my rant out so I’m done now for a few months. :)
Read what I said, Brady is of course the reason for the improvement. No question about that. But there's a solid 10 or so quarterbacks that would be as similar an upgrade over Winston from last year. He was horrific.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
What I was wrong about: their defense has been good, and Gronk has probably been just inside top 10 TE territory but only because of the absolute horrific state of the TE landscape :D

I don't have any love nor hate for Brady - rather a lot of respect for what he's accomplished, always seems to get it done, but I'd rather see someone else win it this season yes (not Mahomes) - Rodgers on his revenge tour, or Brees in potentially his final year would've been my preference over Brady. Him winning a 7th ring at a new franchise is a great narrative as well though and would truly cement his unquestionable GOAT status.

Like I said, "poor" was probably an overreaction but I wasn't really impressed either. He's just a game manager now and he takes what's given to him, but let's not pretend he won that game for the Bucs last night, imo he just didn't lose it and that was enough with the turnovers his defense was forcing.

The claims that he has 3 All-Pro receivers and the greatest TE in history hold little value either, since AB is not 2015-2018 AB, Godwin dealt with injuries, Mike Evans wasn't all that good this season and Gronk didn't catch on until halfway through the season.
I think it’s obvious for all that Brady wasn’t why they won yesterday. And he can’t single handedly carry a team like Rodgers or Mahomes can do right now.

But, often overlooked, I think, is what else Brady brings to the table. He doesn’t just bring what he can do with his arm on the playing field. He sets a tone, an ethic, an environment which focuses his team mates to do better and be better. If Goff had exactly the same physical quality as a quarterback as Brady and you put him in instead, I don’t think the rest of the Tampa roster performs at the levels they perform at. It’s like losing SAF as United manager was more than his ability to coach or make substitutions. It’s how man management and the wider impact he had on everyone at United. In the same way, Brady being in the building immediately changes the ethos of the franchise. And that’s something one cannot overlook when evaluating how good Brady is. Any QB needs support, even flashy ones like Mahomes and Rodgers. And so being a QB who lifts your whole roster counts for something. And I don’t think any QB in the league can have that same influence Brady does yet. My view only but if you put Rodgers in Tampa, you get a much better quarterback but you might not get the increased performance and motivation and concentration of the rest of the roster.

Of course it’s purely subjective and can never be proven which is why it’s just my opinion.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Read what I said, Brady is of course the reason for the improvement. No question about that. But there's a solid 10 or so quarterbacks that would be as similar an upgrade over Winston from last year. He was horrific.
Purely from the perspective of playing QB and throwing the ball? Sure I think so.

But none of those guys would change the culture (which is not something you can quantify or evidence unfortunately) of the franchise in the way having Brady in the building does. That IMO shouldn’t be overlooked.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Purely from the perspective of playing QB and throwing the ball? Sure I think so.

But none of those guys would change the culture (which is not something you can quantify or evidence unfortunately) of the franchise in the way having Brady in the building does. That IMO shouldn’t be overlooked.
Winston threw 30 picks. The bucs were already a great team last season, except their QB threw 30 picks. That was the bar they needed to clear: a QB who wouldn't throw 30 picks

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Plus unless you’re a Pats fan, generally everyone hates Brady. Difference is you can have a sensible discussion with most people on here, but not with certain others (any prizes for guessing who?!?!)
Not a Pats fan but I recognize and applaud greatness when I see it. I did so with Montana and Young despite the Dallas/SF rivalry. I did so for the likes of Elway, Marino, et al. And Brady is better than all of them IMO.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I heard Josh McDaniels could get the eagles job.

Campbell is an interesting hire. Has never called plays and isn't a X and Os guy. But my god his run as Dolphins interim coach was fun. His team will run through a brick wall for him, a lot depends on who he can get as OC and DC. Lions fans will love him.
I think Bowles will get the Eagles job unless they go for an offensive mind.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'

Basically the crux of what we disagree on. Fair enough for you to think that.

Sylar

I've got a large amount of money on the bucs to be in the Superbowl at least. No surprises, they have an elite defense, elite receivers, great running backs, great coach, good line. But of course Brady has carried them.

He is the luckiest man in sports history, although he made his own luck this time by picking his team.
Hopefully you lose all that money :)

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

One for the "mind blowing stats" category.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

Nothing shocking, but Fields has officially declared for the draft just now.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
If this is right, Mahomes actually passed concussion tests but had a pinched nerve in his neck. I don’t know if that would be good or bad news.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
If this is right, Mahomes actually passed concussion tests but had a pinched nerve in his neck. I don’t know if that would be good or bad news.

Think it's good in the sense that he doesn't need to go through all the concussion protocol checks performed by independent persons, but rather the Chiefs or Mahomes himself can decide how comfortable he is and which risk he's willing to take if it's not fully cleared by Sunday.

I'd be surprised if he doesn't play tbh.

Jack-C20

I was watching last nights game with a group who all had money on Bucs SB win. :lol: So next week will be interesting.
Im nervous to be honest. Their interceptions last night bought back all the memories of the game earlier in the season. Any news on Dillon? I’d like all three of our running backs against their run defence. Especially with him being a lump. I definitely don’t see the Packers being big favourites like a lot of people seem to think.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Im nervous to be honest. Their interceptions last night bought back all the memories of the game earlier in the season. Any news on Dillon? I’d like all three of our running backs against their run defence. Especially with him being a lump. I definitely don’t see the Packers being big favourites like a lot of people seem to think.
We are slight favourites, but still an even game, I should say. Home and conditions might aid us a bit. Won't affect Brady, but the some of the rest might need to adjust. Both our D and O-Line have been performing much better currently plus with the running game, our O is also more consistent. The 2 picks returned for score set the trend for last game. I don't expect that to happen this time around.

Hephaestus

Please God no. Pete's not that dumb..

Right?
Maybe they just wanted to make sure whoever they do pick gets welcomed with open arms, so set the bar as low as they could by talking to Gase. Only explanation I can think of.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Please God no. Pete's not that dumb..

Right?
Pete - i can't believe he didn't run the ball - is definitely capeable of repeatedly outsmarting himself.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

This is awesome. They did the same when Andy Dalton sunk the Ravens to send the Bills to the playoffs IIRC.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Insightful analysis:

Clickbait crap:

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Those trades are weak. It did make me wonder if this madness had that conclusion, who the favorites would be. Jets are surprisingly #1(thought it’d be Miami):

1. New York Jets 2/1
2. Miami Dolphins 3/1
3. Chicago Bears 4/1
4. Denver Broncos 5/1
T-5. Indianapolis Colts 8/1
T-5. New England Patriots 8/1
7. Philadelphia Eagles 10/1
T-8. Carolina Panthers 12/1
T-8. Washington Football Team 12/1
T-8. Detroit Lions 12/1
T-8. Las Vegas Raiders 12/1
T-12. New Orleans Saints 15/1
T-12. Jacksonville Jaguars 15/1

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Chase Young and multiple 1st rounders might do it actually. As in, at least 3 1st(but would likely require more than that anyways)

The proposed dolphins and lions deals are hilarious :lol:

Something like Darnold+2020 1st+2020 2nd+2021 1st+2021 3rd+2022 1st+2022 2nd+2023 2nd+2024 1st might do it i think

Darnold should still be tradeable for a couple picks

Can't see the texans trading him for anything less than that

Sylar

Rodgers should have been picked twice on the weekend in my opinion
Both on the same drive and same set of downs

I'm hoping that's tightened up but our O line has been great
And the defence have been picking up momentum at the right time heading into this play offs

Lambeau could be a big advantage for us
Brady didn't look great on the weekend except near the end
Brees looked horrible and it looked like he was hurting himself to throw 15 yards

I'm slightly confident, although last time I was actually confident heading into a championship game for packers was against the Seahawks....:nervous:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Drew Lock
Tim Patrick
2021 1st & 2nd round
2022 1st round
2023 2nd round

Broncos get Watson.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Drew Lock
Tim Patrick
2021 1st & 2nd round
2022 1st round
2023 2nd round

Broncos get Watson.
I’m thinking that won’t work, and we’d have to go further to nab him. And with the lack of extra draft capital that means a different asset.

But this new GM was apparently a hot property amongst prospective GM hires so I am not scared of doing anything stupid.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I’m thinking that won’t work, and we’d have to go further to nab him. And with the lack of extra draft capital that means a different asset.

But this new GM was apparently a hot property amongst prospective GM hires so I am not scared of doing anything stupid.
I did read one report about him which suggested a strong chance of going out for an established QB so I wouldn’t be shocked by him making a move but I’m not getting my hopes up.

Wonder if he’d throw Von in the mix?

Status
Not open for further replies.