NFL 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I did read one report about him which suggested a strong chance of going out for an established QB so I wouldn’t be shocked by him making a move but I’m not getting my hopes up.

Wonder if he’d throw Von in the mix?
Isn't there a chance he's going to be cut anyways due to legal issues?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I did read one report about him which suggested a strong chance of going out for an established QB so I wouldn’t be shocked by him making a move but I’m not getting my hopes up.

Wonder if he’d throw Von in the mix?
I don’t know how attractive Von is as a trade asset, being on the last year of his deal coming off injury. Given the state of their receiving corps I was thinking they’d want Sutton or Fant’s name on the table.

The chance for being cut was already there for financial reasons, the legal stuff is just a marginal increase in odds.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Possibly, no idea what’s going on there. His ex put a load of stuff out there but then retracted most of it, but who knows what the situation is.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I don’t know how attractive Von is as a trade asset, being on the last year of his deal coming off injury. Given the state of their receiving corps I was thinking they’d want Sutton or Fant’s name on the table.
They'd both be on my fairly short “not to be traded” list I think. Along with Chubb, Simmons and probably Jeudy.

Watson is worth an enormous amount but there’s no sense crippling the roster and having him in a similar situation to what he’s looking to leave.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Chase Young and multiple 1st rounders might do it actually. As in, at least 3 1st(but would likely require more than that anyways)

The proposed dolphins and lions deals are hilarious :lol:

Something like Darnold+2020 1st+2020 2nd+2021 1st+2021 3rd+2022 1st+2022 2nd+2023 2nd+2024 1st might do it i think

Darnold should still be tradeable for a couple picks

Can't see the texans trading him for anything less than that
Doubt the Texans will get anything near that. Four 1st round picks, three 2nds, a 3rd plus Darnold?!? :lol:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Doubt the Texans will get anything near that. Four 1st round picks, three 2nds, a 3rd plus Darnold?!? :lol:
Some seem to think that it's the NBA. I would be shocked if they even get half of that.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
They'd both be on my fairly short “not to be traded” list I think. Along with Chubb, Simmons and probably Jeudy.

Watson is worth an enormous amount but there’s no sense crippling the roster and having him in a similar situation to what he’s looking to leave.
Oh yeah, you never give up a pass-catching TE once you have him so Fant is at the top of the list. And I think we’ll lock down Simmons this off-season as a cornerstone of the post-Von defense.

I’m just trying to look at it from their perspective. It all depends on how they rate Lock and Patrick in that scenario; there’d be some horse-trading with late round picks more likely.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Oh yeah, you never give up a pass-catching TE once you have him so Fant is at the top of the list. And I think we’ll lock down Simmons this off-season as a cornerstone of the post-Von defense.

I’m just trying to look at it from their perspective. It all depends on how they rate Lock and Patrick in that scenario; there’d be some horse-trading with late round picks more likely.
I included Patrick because he and Lock seem to have a good chemistry and I rate him but not highly enough that I’d be against him be traded for a top QB.

Any trade is gonna be complicated for sure.

JPRouve

Scout
I'm still deluding myself into believing that the Vikings can do it:
2 1st rounds
2 2nd rounds
Cousins+Zimmer+Barr

In the mean time, they trade Watt for a 3 round pick to someone.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Here's what the eagles traded to move up to #2 and draft Wentz: two 1st, one 2nd, one 3rd and one 4th

Rams to move up to #1 and take Goff: two 1st, two 2nd, two 3rd

WTF for RG3: two 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd

Cutler trade: orton, two 1st and a 3rd

If the texans trade Watson for anything less than 3 first and 3 more picks(2nd/3rd/4th), texans fans should be legally allowed to punt McNair, Easterby and Caserio into the Gulf of Mexico and force the NFL to contract the franchise

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Here's what the eagles traded to move up to #2 and draft Wentz: two 1st, one 2nd, one 3rd and one 4th

Rams to move up to #1 and take Goff: two 1st, two 2nd, two 3rd

WTF for RG3: two 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd

Cutler trade: orton, two 1st and a 3rd

If the texans trade Watson for anything less than 3 first and 3 more picks(2nd/3rd/4th), texans fans should be legally allowed to punt McNair, Easterby and Caserio into the Gulf of Mexico and force the NFL to contract the franchise
And that's giving all that up for the chance to draft a franchise QB - we know Watson is an elite franchise QB who might not even have hit his ceiling, so he's gonna be even more expensive.

If the right offer doesn't come in, I hope he's just not leaving.

JPRouve

Scout
And that's giving all that up for the chance to draft a franchise QB - we know Watson is an elite franchise QB who might not even have hit his ceiling, so he's gonna be even more expensive.

It's not just that. The 1st round comes with an undervalued rookie contract, that value needs to be taken into account when you trade for someone that isn't on a rookie contract. If you take the Rams as an example, their starting QB on rookie contract allowed them to load the team up with top free agents which is how they compensated for the loss of picks.

As a Texans fan you should understand it because you did that mistake for Tunsil who is one of the very best LT which is a very valuable position but the amount of picks that you gave up combined with his contract at market value was a bad idea and it's one of the reasons you are in you current situation.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'

True but then that's also going for a chance at a franchise QB that's on a cheap salary. Harder to build around Watson with that in mind. I suspect any deal will be similar though.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
It's not just that. The 1st round comes with an undervalued rookie contract, that value needs to be taken into account when you trade for someone that isn't on a rookie contract. If you take the Rams as an example, their starting QB on rookie contract allowed them to load the team up with top free agents which is how they compensated for the loss of picks.

As a Texans fan you should understand it because you did that mistake for Tunsil who is one of the very best LT which is a very valuable position but the amount of picks that you gave up combined with his contract at market value was a bad idea and it's one of the reasons you are in you current situation.
True but then that's also going for a chance at a franchise QB that's on a cheap salary. Harder to build around Watson with that in mind. I suspect any deal will be similar though.
Yes I understand the contract situation is not ideal but you can still build a contending team around a QB on a big contract, even with the loss of two first-round picks and some additional later round ones imo. It’s just whether you’re willing to risk it. This is probably a once in a career opportunity for most GMs though if he’s really available. To me, it’s worth the risk.

I’ve seen trades range from what GMFB suggested from the Lions to what @Eboue suggested on here, and personally I’m leaning towards his view here. It’s still the Texans though so never count them out of accepting a stupid deal.

JPRouve

Scout
Yes I understand the contract situation is not ideal but you can still build a contending team around a QB on a big contract, even with the loss of two first-round picks and some additional later round ones imo. It’s just whether you’re willing to risk it. This is probably a once in a career opportunity for most GMs though if he’s really available. To me, it’s worth the risk.

I’ve seen trades range from what GMFB suggested from the Lions to what @Eboue suggested on here, and personally I’m leaning towards his view here. It’s still the Texans though so never count them out of accepting a stupid deal.
You can build a team around a QB on a big contract if you have cap space and/or lots of picks. Otherwise you are the Texans.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Think top 2 draft picks have always cost a ton of draft/player capital. Don't recall the last time a star QB was traded.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/arti...ck_trades_in_nfl_history/s1__28469687#slide_6

Found this article. Tarkenton cost the Giants four high draft picks and he later went back to Minnesota for 3 players and 2 high picks.

The Eagles got fleeced for Roman Gabriel. Jim Plunkent cost the Raiders three 1s and a 2. Jim Everett cost the Rams a bounty.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
chance being the key word here. With Watson there is no chance: you're getting a top 5 QB. One that is most likely actually top 3, just hasn't had the coaching to prove it, at that. So no, it's not harder to build around Watson, because he raises your floor by such a degree that you simply don't need to stack the roster with as much talent. The key - which is true regardless of the cap - is to also have an elite HC

Adams just netted the jets 2 first rounders - there no way the texans will settle for less than 3 for watson, regardless whatever players they may also get into the deal

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
chance being the key word here. With Watson there is no chance: you're getting a top 5 QB. One that is most likely actually top 3, just hasn't had the coaching to prove it, at that. So no, it's not harder to build around Watson, because he raises your floor by such a degree that you simply don't need to stack the roster with as much talent. The key - which is true regardless of the cap - is to also have an elite HC

Adams just netted the jets 2 first rounders - there no way the texans will settle for less than 3 for watson, regardless whatever players they may also get into the deal
So did a disgruntled Jalen Ramsey last year. CBs and S are important positions but still nowhere close to a QB.

mav_9me

The other difference is Watson wants to leave. Makes it harder for Texans to drive a hard bargain.

YAMS49

49ers history of 1st round pick success in 30-40% under ShanaLynch so we should offer them 6 first round picks & be done with it.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

Last edited:

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Ah, the homophobic average QB finally retires. feck him.

JPRouve

Scout
The Colts are going to be most intriguing team now, they have the cap space and draft capital to target the likes of Watson or Wentz.

Last edited:

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
They also drafted Jacob Eason in the fourth round last year but I think he was a healthy scratch for pretty much every game.

Phil

Bold of Jones, there's a million free agent RBs this year. He's so good but there's a big market..

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Th Colts are going to be most intriguing team now, they have the cap space and draft capital to target the likes of Watson or Wentz.
They’re near the front of the line of teams where if they can plug in a proper QB they can go on a run.

JPRouve

Scout
They’re near the front of the line of teams where if they can plug in a proper QB they can go on a run.
Yup, they have everything in place and a relatively young team. Washington could be an other one.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Yup, they have everything in place and a relatively young team. Washington could be an other one.
I was thinking San Fran or Denver, but sure. They have the defense in place, just have to add another offensive weapon to help that QB.

Maybe throw Chicago in there, but that’s been Chicago’s status for like two decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.