NFL 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
That deal is crazy. Surely Lions have the better end of that. Yes downside is taking on Goff though but they’ve acquired a lot of draft capital. And is Goff a total write off yet?

On the other hand if you take away consideration of price for a moment, I’ve always felt Stafford was a v good QB in a consistently tough situation in Detroit so at the Rams he could really be top tier.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Jebus that's a lot. Imagine what Watson is going to cost if Stafford is worth all that
It depends on who is the other team and if they have a bad contract to offload in the process.

JPRouve

Scout
Two 1sts and a 3rd round pick is more than I thought the Lions could get for a soon to be 33-year old Stafford who wanted out. Downside is they’re taking on Goff’s contract, but there’s an out after 2021. Makes me wonder now what Houston can get for Watson.
The 2022 out is for Stafford's contract who only has a dead cap of 6m in 2022. Goff has a dead cap of 65m in 2021 and 31m in 2022 which is probably why the Rams wanted out of it badly, he is only easily cuttable in 2023.

Last edited:

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea

Jebus that's a lot. Imagine what Watson is going to cost if Stafford is worth all that
Probably has a lot to do with Goff‘s massive contract.

Meller

It's a lot but I'm still kinda happy with that. Glad to be rid of Goff and his contract and excited for next season.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Good news for the Texans if Watson actually gets traded.

Stafford with McVay should be lots of fun. Giving up two first rounders though, really shows how little belief they had left in Goff (and of course dumping the contract).

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
That’s a really good deal for Detroit.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Good to see the Rams have learned from giving away too much draft capital in the past.

Sorry, nothing, the Rams have learned nothing.

JPRouve

Scout
Isn’t it something crazy like the Rams won’t have drafted a first rounder for 7 straight years with this (2017-2023)?
And none of their two previous 1st rounds will be on the team, they cut one and paid to get rid of the other.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Good news for the Texans if Watson actually gets traded.

Stafford with McVay should be lots of fun. Giving up two first rounders though, really shows how little belief they had left in Goff (and of course dumping the contract).
I don’t think it really changes anything regarding Watson: in addition to having to sweeten the pot to take on Goff’s contract as noted, it can be reasonably assumed both of those will be mid-late 1sts.

What it really changes is the draft. This is fantastic news for Carolina and maybe Denver.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
The 2022 out is for Stafford's contract who only has a dead cap of 6m in 2022. Goff has a dead cap of 65m in 2021 and 31m in 2022 which is probably why the Rams wanted out of it badly, he is only easily cuttable in 2023.
Shit, you're right. But actually Goff's dead cap numbers are $43M in 2021 and $15M in 2022. Can see them dumping him in 2022.

kidbob

I know nothing about this sport except that the ads last longer than the games but is Tampa the team that is owned by the Glazers?

JPRouve

Scout
i read that goffs cap hit if cut is 25 / 15 / 0 / 0. so if they get through this year its very manageable and if they get through 2 years its an asset with 2 team options.
For the Lions it's manageable and I think that he is a good bridge QB, for the Rams Stafford's contract was the better option. To me it looks like a good deal for the Lions and weird one for the Rams, they put themselves in a poor situation when they offered that contract to Goff and had to find a way to mitigate the consequences. The issue being that they absolutely have to win short term.

Jack-C20

Anyone watching the virtual Pro Bowl on twitch? Snoop Dogg and Marshawn Lynch are hilarious :lol:

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
That deal is crazy. Surely Lions have the better end of that. Yes downside is taking on Goff though but they’ve acquired a lot of draft capital. And is Goff a total write off yet?

On the other hand if you take away consideration of price for a moment, I’ve always felt Stafford was a v good QB in a consistently tough situation in Detroit so at the Rams he could really be top tier.
Not a total write off but still... He had one "elite" year and all the others were passable, but nothing special. And that was with a top 5 offensive mind in the league. Now he gets to play with Dan Campbell and Anthony Lynn as his HC/OC, I think he'll just fall into below average territory.

You'd have Mahomes, Watson, Rodgers, Wilson, Allen, Brady, Lamar, Ryan, Kyler, Mayfield, Stafford, Cousins, Herbert and Tannehill that are without question better than him imo. So he's a top 15-20 QB with a huge contract. I think that it's not unimaginable that we see Wentz moved with a similar kind of deal for example. Not entirely written off and is still young enough to have a resurgence but I doubt either of them ever gets to Allen or Watson level again (both with one elite season).

Well, is there a man who wouldn’t though? :lol:
Exactly :lol:

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Not a total write off but still... He had one "elite" year and all the others were passable, but nothing special. And that was with a top 5 offensive mind in the league. Now he gets to play with Dan Campbell and Anthony Lynn as his HC/OC, I think he'll just fall into below average territory.

You'd have Mahomes, Watson, Rodgers, Wilson, Allen, Brady, Lamar, Ryan, Kyler, Mayfield, Stafford, Cousins, Herbert and Tannehill that are without question better than him imo. So he's a top 15-20 QB with a huge contract. I think that it's not unimaginable that we see Wentz moved with a similar kind of deal for example. Not entirely written off and is still young enough to have a resurgence but I doubt either of them ever gets to Allen or Watson level again (both with one elite season).

Yeah, I’m also expecting Goff to settle in as an average QB. But, maybe in a system designed for him, he won’t be a complete disaster. It’s clear under McVay, the offensive scheme was not going to be tailored to him, or anyone in the offence for that matter. I suspect in Detroit he will end up with a system which might suit him more should they truly believe in him.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I think Lions have to give Goff a chance imo, don't see the point of taking that contract just for a pick in the 20's

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...

Dak is miles better. I'd take Carr and Jimmy G over Goff. Ben R is still better. And Lawrence, the soon to be next great thing.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Dak is miles better. I'd take Carr and Jimmy G over Goff. Ben R is still better. And Lawrence, the soon to be next great thing.
Ah yeah, of course he is. I was looking at a list of the starting QBs at the end of the season so that's why he didn't cross my mind probably.

Roethlisberger, Brees and Rivers probably as well but I assumed they're all out of the league next season.

I'd place Goff around Carr's and Jimmy G's level.

Rawls

You'll never find, that microfilm of mine
Yeah, I’m also expecting Goff to settle in as an average QB. But, maybe in a system designed for him, he won’t be a complete disaster. It’s clear under McVay, the offensive scheme was not going to be tailored to him, or anyone in the offence for that matter. I suspect in Detroit he will end up with a system which might suit him more should they truly believe in him.
Out of interest, what sort of offensive system do you think would suit Goff more?

Rawls

You'll never find, that microfilm of mine
One where you hand off every play would be my advice. Send for Barry.
This reminds me that the Lions forced both Sanders and Megatron to pay back some of their bonuses when they retired; I still don't think they have actually patched up their relationship with Calvin.

JPRouve

Scout
Do you want a lame Jimmy in return?
I don't think that he would be a valued piece for any side, he is highly cuttable.

Edit: But I think that it's important to say that Cousins isn't a bad QB, he is frustrating but an OC like Shanahan is exactly what he needs to shine. Even this season after the first few weeks, Cousins played well.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
This reminds me that the Lions forced both Sanders and Megatron to pay back some of their bonuses when they retired; I still don't think they have actually patched up their relationship with Calvin.
And then asked Megatron to be an ambassador :lol:

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Out of interest, what sort of offensive system do you think would suit Goff more?
Nawlins is the obvious place I could see him being better than above average with their short passing game, but a lot of QBs could look better than above average with Payton, Thomas, and Kamara.

I don’t think the system was the problem in LA though.

Status
Not open for further replies.