NFL 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
How much cap space will the Saints have invested in three QBs in 2020?

Brees is set to cost around $23.5M, not sure what Winston got on his one-year deal, and Hill just got a two-year extension with guaranteed money.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
How much cap space will the Saints have invested in three QBs in 2020?

Brees is set to cost around $23.5M, not sure what Winston got on his one-year deal, and Hill just got a two-year extension with guaranteed money.
According to overthecap:

Brees: $26,650,000
Hill: $4,641,000

Winston tbc obviously.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Brady suddenly looks like he's 52 in his videos now that he is out of New England. God knows what kind of black magic they do down there.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Yikes

Seriously, this is fecking grim.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I remember seeing that during the first round (just after they made their pick and everyone in his house was high fiving). Never thought anything of it at the time as the writing looked too small.

Bet Belichick saw it. (He probably had hidden cameras in most of the coaches houses tbh)

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I remember seeing that during the first round (just after they made their pick and everyone in his house was high fiving). Never thought anything of it at the time as the writing looked too small.

Bet Belichick saw it. (He probably had hidden cameras in most of the coaches houses tbh)
Would be hilarious if Chuckie did it intentionally with misleading info.

Jack-C20

Not wanting to start an NFL vs Rugby argument as it’s a needless argument but do you think any rugby players present or past could make it in the NFL? A video just popped up about Christian Wade which reminded me. He’s currently on the Bills practice squad after moving from the Premiership. No idea how’s he’s getting on to be honest. Whilst reading the comments someone said that Jonah Lomu was offered a place on the Cowboys practice squad but the salary wasn’t enough for him to risk leaving rugby.

Obviously this is all just hypothetical and not at all serious, but I’d love to see someone like Tuilagi given a game at RB or kick returns.

On the flip side, any NFL players that would make it in Rugby? Is there any players in the USA rugby team that played American Football up to a point?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Not wanting to start an NFL vs Rugby argument as it’s a needless argument but do you think any rugby players present or past could make it in the NFL? A video just popped up about Christian Wade which reminded me. He’s currently on the Bills practice squad after moving from the Premiership. No idea how’s he’s getting on to be honest. Whilst reading the comments someone said that Jonah Lomu was offered a place on the Cowboys practice squad but the salary wasn’t enough for him to risk leaving rugby.

Obviously this is all just hypothetical and not at all serious, but I’d love to see someone like Tuilagi given a game at RB or kick returns.

On the flip side, any NFL players that would make it in Rugby? Is there any players in the USA rugby team that played American Football up to a point?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Rugby_union_players_that_played_in_the_NFL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Rugby_league_players_that_played_in_the_NFL

Jack-C20

A few more than I was expecting to be honest. Didn’t look through all of them but the ones I did look at didn't seem to be risking a huge amount in leaving rugby. Hardly surprising really.

On another note. I’m sure that when I’ve been watching the NFL I’ve heard the commentators mention a few time’s about kickers being recruited from Australia more and more. Am I hearing things or is there any truth to that?

lsd

The Oracle

Interesting.

Weird was just reading about him five mins ago going through the players we signed in the 2018 draft.

Looked like we just couldn't make our minds up on him , he was waived re-signed then waived and re-signed and now this

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero

Having played both, I think it’s much easier to go from rugby to American football than it is the other way around. Mainly to do with vision when having the ball — downfield-oriented in football and width and horizontal vision in rugby.

Rado already posted a link to the list of players who transitioned.You’re rarely if ever find NFL or college football players who go to rugby. And other the lack of skills and training, NFL probably pays more too.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Meh, doubt so. He could've gotten more elsewhere. It's just the Saints saying "take this deal now because we don't have any cap space left, learn from Drew and prove yourself as our starter after him before we see if you deserve a big contract or not".

For all the things Winston is, he's more than capable enough to be a back-up in the NFL (and starter at quite a few teams).

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That's a lot lower than I was expecting. Probably a smart long term move for him as well, worked out very well for Bridgewater.
Bridgewater was a good player though.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Do they have the money ?
I'm no cap expert but according to Over The Cap, the Pats have 1.7m cap space for 2020 and Rosen's contract accounts for 2.17m cap charge - no idea if they could restructure some things in order to make that work (or send a player to Miami in exchange).

sport2793

That’s the NFL marketplace saying if Arians can’t fix this guy we’re not sure anyone can.
Yep, when Winston said he was going to the Harvard of QB universities I chuckled. Don't think there are many better QB coaches out there than Arians so am unconvinced that this move will help Winston much in the long term.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I'm no cap expert but according to Over The Cap, the Pats have 1.7m cap space for 2020 and Rosen's contract accounts for 2.17m cap charge - no idea if they could restructure some things in order to make that work (or send a player to Miami in exchange).
That seemed like really low cap space with no QB to speak of and some real needs on the offensive side.

Dead cap hits are:

Brady - $13,500,000
Brown - $4,750,000 (:lol:)
Gostkowski - $3,250,000

They’re really paying for that, admittedly very good, D.

JPRouve

Scout
Sanu has no dead money and currently costs 6.5m. They could extend him and lower his cap number or just cut him.

lsd

The Oracle

Yeah i read they do not have much to work with i imagine thats why they cannot go near Cam Newton .

I really can't see them doing anything this year. I wonder what price the Bucs to have a better season

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

Lomu could have been a star given his pace and ferocity - wouldn't be especially big by NFL standards nowadays but 6'4, 18 stone and that pace 25 years ago (100m in 10.7, no idea of his 40m times), stood out like a sore thumb.

No idea if he'd have had the mental capacity to learn playbooks and the nuances of NFL runs though - a lot more complicated than Union (which I love). I'd also question whether a lot of Union players would have the desire/mental strength to move to USA... imagine some of the Irish/Welsh/Southern Islanders in US? Can't see it.

Martin Offiah may have made a decent WR?

Tough ask nowadays - RBs usually shorter, stocky but have pace. Most similar shape in Union is prop forward and they have 'limited' pace? :)

Wingers to WRs is a possibility, 2nd row/back row to line (Off or Def) maybe.

Out of current players, Mario Itoje? His ability in rucks and mauls is amazing (one of the best forwards in world rugby), quick on his feet, intelligent which would help with decision making and only 25. Maybe play in the defensive line (defensive end?)... 6'4, 18 stone, mobile, great timing (which you have to have playing lock else you get pinged by ref all the time in rugby).

JPRouve

Scout
Lomu could have been a star given his pace and ferocity - wouldn't be especially big by NFL standards nowadays but 6'4, 18 stone and that pace 25 years ago (100m in 10.7, no idea of his 40m times), stood out like a sore thumb.

No idea if he'd have had the mental capacity to learn playbooks and the nuances of NFL runs though - a lot more complicated than Union (which I love). I'd also question whether a lot of Union players would have the desire/mental strength to move to USA... imagine some of the Irish/Welsh/Southern Islanders in US? Can't see it.

Tough ask nowadays - RBs usually shorter, stocky but have pace. Most similar shape in Union is prop forward and they have 'limited' pace? :)

Out of current players, Mario Itoje? His ability in rucks and mauls is amazing (one of the best forwards in world rugby), quick on his feet, intelligent which would help with decision making and only 25. Maybe play in the defensive line (defensive end?)... 6'4, 18 stone, mobile, great timing (which you have to have playing lock else you get pinged by ref all the time in rugby).
That part is wrong. A large part of what happens on a rugby field is scripted, the phases are set by the coaches and rehearsed on the training pitch, the main difference is that Rugby is a live game, so the instructions and sets are situational and the players have to use their brains and special awareness in order to realize which scripted play they are supposed to use, they also have to think about defense and offense. In the NFL, the clock is stopped and the coordinator tells you what to do, the one complicated thing is that they have more plays but even then it doesn't really apply to running backs, it's only really relevant for offensive linemen and quaterbacks who need to know everyone's playbook.

Jack-C20

The thing I thought was weird when I read about it on google was that they had Lomu down as a RB or OLB. I thought being a line backer requires much more game sense. I’d love to see some of the big wingers or centres just put it in at running back for a laugh. Even if it required the QB to tell him what he’s doing before each play.

lsd

The Oracle

Why would Irish/welsh players have a tougher time living in US ?

Why would they lack mental strength compared to English players ?

Last edited:

Jack-C20

Why would Irish/welsh players have a tougher time living in US ?

Why would they lack mental strength compared to English players ?
Might be wrong but I don’t think he was purposely leaving out English players. Also didn’t mention Scottish players. Think he was just giving examples of British players.

Status
Not open for further replies.