NFL 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

I knew Pete was going to pick Adams up, the guy loves a safety.

lsd

The Oracle
What I don't get though is what happens next year and he is a free agent ?

It is a crazy deal for Seattle as Adams has no need to sign any extension they put to him

Phil

It is a crazy deal for Seattle as Adams has no need to sign any extension they put to him
Got to imagine they've talked numbers already. Our cap situation is somewhat decent so it can happen.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

They will negotiate a contract and use tags if needed. Safety tags are relatively cheap and most likely below the figure that Adams want.

lsd

The Oracle
Im sure they talked about it but im sure Rams talked the same thing to Jalen Ramsey and thats no sure thing either .

I just think they could have gotten a better deal from the Jets as they knew they were losing him anyway

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
#100 through #71 of the NFL Top 100 Players are released on YouTube.

I know the list can be pretty crap at times but I'm still excited :lol:

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
I know the list can be pretty crap at times but I'm still excited :lol:
Oh mate I'm the same every year. Watching r/nfl melting down about Josh Allen at 87 was funny before the thread got more civilized.

I wonder how far Brady will fall. My prediction is that he's out of the top 30.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

I think Allen's numbers will drop significantly this season with Taylor or Herbert at QB, but he's right here. He's a top 5 route runner in the league and way better than the three he mentions.

As an all-round receiver I'd probably take Godwin right now though.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
Godwin not only had a better 2019, he's likely going to fit more with Brady's play than Evans does.

Either way, right now I'd take either of those guys over Allen to be honest.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
The NBA and NHL have set great examples of how to restart their leagues, zero infections in their respective bubbles. Meanwhile the MLB had to cancel the Marlins' game because they have 14(!) infected players.

If the NFL can't get convince their teams to do a "bubbled season", I fear for the season. With all the travelling and players doing whathever they like during Monday-Wednesday or so (and on bye weeks), I can't see this going right unfortunately, with the way the situation is right now in the US. Or they should have expanded rosters to deal with Covid infections, but not sure how that would work under the existing cap rules either. Back-ups might be more valuable than ever this season.

JPRouve

Scout
The NBA and NHL have set great examples of how to restart their leagues, zero infections in their respective bubbles. Meanwhile the MLB had to cancel the Marlins' game because they have 14(!) infected players.

If the NFL can't get convince their teams to do a "bubbled season", I fear for the season. With all the travelling and players doing whathever they like during Monday-Wednesday or so (and on bye weeks), I can't see this going right unfortunately, with the way the situation is right now in the US. Or they should have expanded rosters to deal with Covid infections, but not sure how that would work under the existing cap rules either. Back-ups might be more valuable than ever this season.
The NHL had 30 positive tests during phase 2.

JPRouve

Scout

What I was referring to. They can begin their restart with a clean bubble.
That's about phase 3, the bubble has started a long time ago, the tweet doesn't include the players that were positive in July 13th and have been quarantined. For example Brad Kulak has tested positive for the Canadiens and won't go with the team in Toronto. To say that they haven't had infections in the bubble is wrong because the NHL bubble didn't actually start in Toronto, now the protocol seems pretty good with players being easily phased out.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
That's about phase 3, the bubble has started a long time ago, the tweet doesn't include the players that were positive in July 13th and have been quarantined. For example Brad Kulak has tested positive for the Canadiens and won't go with the team in Toronto. To say that they haven't had infections in the bubble is wrong because the NHL bubble didn't actually start in Toronto, now the protocol seems pretty good with players being easily phased out.
Yeah I was referring to the last set of results, I knew they had positive results previously. Just meant to show that I think secluded bubbles are the way forward for professional sports leagues in the US (MLS was doing great as well, I think, but don't know how they're handling it), and that the NFL will struggle to cope with it all.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I have a feeling there’s going to be a good few more of these.

That’s a bit loss for NE.

drdoityourself

Cannon has opted out, and linebackers Hightower, Collins and Van Noy will not be there in the coming season. The secondary is good but it feels like there is nothing else left in New England.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Big loss, not just in terms of his impact on the field but also his leadership qualities. Our D has taken a hit this year already.

It’s a difficult situation to be in at the moment to choose between making a living & sacrificing that for personal/family health reasons. I’m sure there will be more high profile players who opt out.

Phil

Feels like the start of many.

Wilson just had a baby about a week ago..

JPRouve

Scout
"Opting Out". They are tanking for Lawrence or Fields.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I really don’t see players forgoing millions of dollars just to enable the team to suck and draft high.
Yeah agreed. Their salary rolls over to 2021 though, but of course you miss a full year of income.

2 of the 5 Pats opting out so far were also on the bubble to be cut, and Marcus Cannon is a cancer survivor so makes sense for him to opt out. Hightower's mother is Type 2 diabetes so also a high-risk profile I think.

JPRouve

Scout
I really don’t see players forgoing millions of dollars just to enable the team to suck and draft high.
Robert "Brady's business partner" Kraft knows how to give money behind the curtains.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

Although understandable, it would suck if Russell Wilson decides the same.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Robert "Brady's business partner" Kraft knows how to give money behind the curtains.
Heard that one before. Is there more to this than hearsay? Are there even mechanisms in place to prevent this?

entropy

I think it was ESPN who were doing a segment suggesting players might be fined for behavior or actions that might expose them to the virus. Seems to me the owners are looking for new ways to penalize players.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

Fecking hell, Pats D could go from top 3 to bottom 3 at this rate.

Last edited:

edcunited1878

NFL players don't have trust in the NFL to protect them all while the NFL makes money. This is the same NFL that ignored the concussion issue all these years, so can totally understand why these players are opting out. Good for them and happy they are making these choices for themselves.

The NFL is going to potentially have more issues than baseball because it's virtually impossible to not touch (tackle/block) or breathe on opposing players, in addition to just being around your teammates, coaches, and staff. NFL sidelines have around 75 to 100 people crammed into a 120 yard by 30 yard box!

To that, the NFL is a fall/winter sport when the weather is colder and coronaviruses like the flu and Covid have been anticipated to be more potent in terms of transmission.

The NBA and NHL only have to play a handful of regular season games and then playoffs, not an entire season such as baseball or NFL. So they have the advantage of creating a bubble and slowly integrating everyone into the bubble without testing positive. Basketball really only needs a total of like 35 to 40 people per team which includes 15 players, 10 coaches/trainers/support staff, some media, doctors, etc. NHL has 22 players on a game day, with 20 dressing for a game, and then their coaches but also additional players for the bubble, probably up to 50 people per team. And remember, not all teams and players and staff will be in the bubble for more than 10 days because teams will lose and immediately leave the bubble, same with the NBA. So all this just to have a handful of teams to play five games and then leave.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Baseball is already struggling, and the NFL season will be much more difficult to pull off. I could see a scenario where cases start to pile up and they have to just shut it down, like a winter break for the holidays. Then they try to scramble and finish the required division or conference games and jump into the playoffs.

I also saw where New Jersey passed an ordinance on outdoor public events of over 500 people, so that’s two more teams with an empty stadium. They will be able to play there though.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I think the majority still wants to play...

That said, Marquise Goodwin just opted out. 5-month old daughter after 3 miscarriages previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.