NFL 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
He deserves to be traded to the Jets so bad.
Well he's going to enjoy spending 4 days in complete darkness he might as well do it for the full year.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I guess I have to talk myself into liking this move. Sigh.

backofthenet

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's not the messiah... he's a very naughty boy
Personally I think the Jets would do well to bring Carr in. Saints would be an ok move, but to me he suits what the Jets are trying to do better. Equally, I think Carr is better than any other free agent out there, so I still think its an idiot move from the Raiders, but I suppose I need to let the muppets we have in charge feck next season up too before they get rightly fired.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Personally I think the Jets would do well to bring Carr in. Saints would be an ok move, but to me he suits what the Jets are trying to do better. Equally, I think Carr is better than any other free agent out there, so I still think its an idiot move from the Raiders, but I suppose I need to let the muppets we have in charge feck next season up too before they get rightly fired.
It's a pipe dream but I have my eyes on Lamar Jackson. I wanted us to draft him a few years ago and I have watched with envy how he's proved his doubters wrong every season. I would give up the entire house to get him. It feels impossible though, and Carr would be an okay consolation prize.

From Carr's perspective, I would view the Saints with the same underwhelming feeling that I view him. We're not a stable team and we have a HC that has proven be nothing but bang average. There are better landing spots out there for him than New Orleans.

backofthenet

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's not the messiah... he's a very naughty boy
It's a pipe dream but I have my eyes on Lamar Jackson. I wanted us to draft him a few years ago and I have watched with envy how he's proved his doubters wrong every season. I would give up the entire house to get him. It feels impossible though, and Carr would be an okay consolation prize.

From Carr's perspective, I would view the Saints with the same underwhelming feeling that I view him. We're not a stable team and we have a HC that has proven be nothing but bang average. There are better landing spots out there for him than New Orleans.
Get what you're saying, but I think the Ravens will eventually cave and pay Jackson the money. If they don't someone else will, and, at least this year, none of the QB's coming out of college look high likelihood hits. There's no better alternative available to them. Suppose they could try and tag him, but it'd be a huge number and cap hit, and all they do is kick the can down the road for a year. Would agree from Carr's point of view, Saints are no better an organisation than the one he had in the Raiders. Still think its mind boggling that in the 9 years he was with the Raiders, they didn't have a top half defense in any of those years. I think were he to do so, I think he might surprise, and this is why I think he would be best with the Jets.

edcunited1878

Always been a weirdo? Yes, at least for as long as I can remember.

He grew up in Chico and went to Cal. He's developed the outward awkwardness because of the platform he's gained. If he wasn't in Green Bay and being in the smallest market in the NFL, he'd gotten much more attention and annoying, but he at least knew what Green Bay provided to him and that's protection. And him being involved with celebrities has been another platform for him and he's not been shy about it, even with all the weird stuff that us ordinary humans cannot really relate to. He just tries too hard and it changed him. Doesn't he have an estranged relationship with his brother and family for years now because fame got to him (Aaron) and totally changed him.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He grew up in Chico and went to Cal. He's developed the outward awkwardness because of the platform he's gained. If he wasn't in Green Bay and being in the smallest market in the NFL, he'd gotten much more attention and annoying, but he at least knew what Green Bay provided to him and that's protection. And him being involved with celebrities has been another platform for him and he's not been shy about it, even with all the weird stuff that us ordinary humans cannot really relate to. He just tries too hard and it changed him. Doesn't he have an estranged relationship with his brother and family for years now because fame got to him (Aaron) and totally changed him.
You are thinking too much here. Rodgers is weird, he is excentric and has always been. There are plenty of ordinary people like that.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Also has it really been that much worse than in previous years? Yeah there has been some awful calls but it doesn’t feel like it’s been any worse than previous years. They always have their “point of emphasis” where it goes OTT or leads to weird calls. And I can remember some stinkers in years gone by.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
The Chiefs fan who dresses up as a wolf for all our games and robbed a bank posted $80k bond yesterday so he can watch the super bowl. The real feel good story of 2023.

RoadTrip

I honestly can’t say I’m surprised. Perhaps the % is more than I suspected. But I would imagine there is some form of “scale” when it comes to severity too. It could be that signs of CTE manifest even after a few collisions but it’s the prolonged period of such collisions where it manifests into something bigger. I speak in conjecture though, I don’t know the science.

It does weigh on my mind though when I watch the sport. Recognising how detrimental it is. It wouldn’t surprise me to find some stories down the line in the future where it transpires the NFL knew all about these statistics.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I honestly can’t say I’m surprised. Perhaps the % is more than I suspected. But I would imagine there is some form of “scale” when it comes to severity too. It could be that signs of CTE manifest even after a few collisions but it’s the prolonged period of such collisions where it manifests into something bigger. I speak in conjecture though, I don’t know the science.

It does weigh on my mind though when I watch the sport. Recognising how detrimental it is. It wouldn’t surprise me to find some stories down the line in the future where it transpires the NFL knew all about these statistics.
Oh, they most certainly know.

I remember all the kerfuffle around the NFL knowing about CTE & its effects around when ‘Concussion’ came out in 2015.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah of course they know, but the US likes their game way too much to ever seriously intervene, I think.

Isn’t CTE more like a “repeatedly taking hits to the head hurt your brain but so does drinking alcohol every night” kind of thing? Like, of course it has an impact but only the really severe cases are labelled nutters like AB? Just guessing here though.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Yeah of course they know, but the US likes their game way too much to ever seriously intervene, I think.

Isn’t CTE more like a “repeatedly taking hits to the head hurt your brain but so does drinking alcohol every night” kind of thing? Like, of course it has an impact but only the really severe cases are labelled nutters like AB? Just guessing here though.
To me, it’s more severe.

I listened to two Heisman winners / HoFers today who played the same position & are only a year apart in age. The one who played the position less physically sounded typical for his age, actually younger even; the one who played more physically sounded like he was twenty to thirty years older. It’s an anecdotal comparison, but the acuity of the two gentlemen was stark in the difference.

RoadTrip

For me, there’s two key aspects here.

From one perspective, you could say that there is enough research out there for players to make an educated choice on whether to participate. They know the risk, and somewhat accept those risks in lieu of money received in return. Similar to how many people take risk, like F1 drivers, to pursue something they enjoy and love and find lucrative.

However, for me, the key issues are A) whether the league does enough other than “you get paid big bucks yo and the sport is fun yo” to protect players. Be it protocols, equipment, research, medical facilities and personnel and rules. Could the league do more? B) a number of NFL players come from poorer backgrounds. Is the sport predatorial, in a way, in how people with the lowest ability to resist the temptation to provide for their families are drawn in as “this is the only option”? And finally C) is there enough information and support for families whose kids partake in this sport at a school level.

It’s a complicated issue. And the right answer isn’t “the sport should stop because it’s dangerous”. But the league in my view should be fully transparent in what information it puts out and proactively, not passively, allow people to make informed choices. I don’t think the sport or league does enough here. And I also don’t think the league is doing enough to change rules, protocols, and regulations to account for this. There is a balance in my view between keeping the core of the sport intact VS making changes which better improve the health of players. I’m not sure if that right balance has yet been reached. But I do sense progress is, albeit too slowly, being made.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
So guys who will win on Sunday?

People saying Eagles are slight favourites. Are they that good?

Should be an interesting game either way.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude

Eagles opened as 2 point favorites but have been bet down to 1 point. They have a great running attack, offensive line and defensive front. Very solid and aggresive team with a dual threat qb. KC has the modern day version of Brady/Gronk with Mahomes/Kelce and also a very good defensive line along with the creative play calling of Andy Reid. For me the game comes down to how Philly can defend the pass and how the chiefs can defend the run. Should be interesting either way like you said.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Eagles opened as 2 point favorites but have been bet down to 1 point. They have a great running attack, offensive line and defensive front. Very solid and aggresive team with a dual threat qb. KC has the modern day version of Brady/Gronk with Mahomes/Kelce and also a very good defensive line along with the creative play calling of Andy Reid. For me the game comes down to how Philly can defend the pass and how the chiefs can defend the run. Should be interesting either way like you said.
There’s really no daylight between these two teams. Hopefully it will be as tight a game as the spread says.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

I thought this was an interesting thread, just highlighting once more just how out of this world Mahomes really is. If his ankle holds up, KC should be favourites.

Only concern is how does their D-line face up against the Eagles' O-line, and can they stop Hurts + their running game? If you go all out for that, don't you give up too much space for AJB and the Slim Reaper? Intriguing matchup really.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I'm rooting for the Eagles, but I think KC are slight favourites. Though Mahomes hasn't faced a pass rush like Philly's this season. Bad time to get a gammy ankle.

But more important than bookies favourites and Mahomes' ankle... What food are you all prepping for Sunday?

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020

Eagles are pretty much better everywhere except QB and TE but those 2 are so special it kind of levels the playing field

Status
Not open for further replies.