NFL 2023

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Outside chance was what I saw. Personally I'd be surprised, and I'm not sure I'd rush him either, such an important player for his consistency.
If he's good to go I'd roll the dice personally. Opportunities at the Superbowl aren't to be taken for granted, and there's a long time to recover properly afterwards if he did have a setback.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

Mind-blowing stuff this - unable to do it in FIFTY-EIGHT games and then immediately surpass it in your first game after his firing :lol:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Sigh. If they just let Carr handle the drives to the RZ and then let Taysom Hill handle the RZ offense I bet the Saints would be 7–4 instead 5-6.

Last edited:

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

Harsh. He apparently wanted Stroud but got forced into Young by the owner and now is out in his first season as HC after only 11 games.

Panthers of course don't even have their own 1st next year because of the Young trade, so it's not exactly an enticing position for anyone wanting to turn the franchise around.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon

I remember there were a lot of people scratching their head when the Chargers picked him over Flowers and Addison.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Harsh. He apparently wanted Stroud but got forced into Young by the owner and now is out in his first season as HC after only 11 games.

Panthers of course don't even have their own 1st next year because of the Young trade, so it's not exactly an enticing position for anyone wanting to turn the franchise around.
Young will be OK but the Panthers have to help him. They desperately need to invest in their O line and WR. Young has no protection and nobody to throw it to. He walked into a awful losing situation.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

A lot of people, myself included, were high on that coaching staff they put together. If it’s true the owner intervened in drafting Stroud and they turned down two firsts for Burns, then that is rough for the next guy.

If this owner is willing to eat all these costs could he buy out Riley at USC to save Young? I’m just thinking off the top of my head…that’d probably be outrageously expensive.

Hephaestus

This has been a predictably horrible game. Not sure why I'm still watching. Or why I started watching.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

The NFL was on a streak of around 43 seasons with no HC fired during his first season until three years ago. There's been one per season since.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Really hard to tell what's going on with the Bears. Would need to rewatch some parts but I can't even remember Fields throwing it more than 10 yards downfield. His only passing plays seem to be throw it to Kmet short of the sticks or screen passes to DJ Moore behind the line of scrimmage and let him create something on his own. And apart from that, even his designed running plays seem to suck.

It doesn't make any sense. He was a capable passer in college and has shown promise in the NFL as well in the pocket, while he can be super dangerous as a runner but the Bears just cannot seem to figure out how to best use his strengths. I'm sure he would (or could, at the very least) flourish at another organization, and it'll be intriguing to see what they will do if they end up with the 1.01 if the Panthers continue to lose after the Reich firing.

Plan should be quite simple though, draft Caleb Williams and trade Fields - before, during or after the draft. And I also think they desperately need to get rid of Eberflus and bring in an offensive minded HC.

EDIT: or get an absolute haul for the 1.01 and use it to improve OL and WR but then they DEFINITELY need to fire their coaching staff right now.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Would need to rewatch some parts but I can't even remember Fields throwing it more than 10 yards downfield.
Only watched the last 5 minutes. He threw a 30 yard cannon from midfield to get them into field position for the walk off FG.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Only watched the last 5 minutes. He threw a 30 yard cannon from midfield to get them into field position for the walk off FG.
Yeah that one completion to DJ Moore because they had to.

Just checked and that was his only completion above 15 yards (and only one of 3 above 10).

Horrible playcalling.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...

Analysts on various ESPN shows have been discussing what marquee coach available would want that job seeing as this clown owner frequently fires coaches in-season. Said coach goes into a situation with a knee-jerk reactionary owner and apparent asshat. It was mentioned that someone might be lured by the money alone but many would probably pass on the job. Additionally, a few candidates may not see Young as their guy which means they won't take the job if the owner refuses to allow the new coach/staff to ship him out.

Last edited:

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Yeah that one completion to DJ Moore because they had to.

Just checked and that was his only completion above 15 yards (and only one of 3 above 10).

Horrible playcalling.
This might explain why Fields didn't have throws downfield. Hint: Flores defensive scheme. Well, that is until he had the defense sit back on that play that ended up being a the decisive big play to set up the winning field goal.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2023-nfl-s...rned-from-bears-win-over-vikings-on-monday-ni
4. The Justin Fields question persists. It was very obvious Fields didn’t have time to throw early in this game, constantly being forced to evade a rush that seemed to come at him from every direction. Chicago’s shift to screens was Getsy’s answer to this conundrum, but eventually, the Bears needed Fields to make a play or two to wake up their offense. Twice, Fields turned the ball over while running with it, fumbling away a possession. The latter of the two fumbles appeared to doom the Bears, as Minnesota took possession and turned it into a touchdown. And after watching Fields hold on to the ball too long -- so long that the ESPN broadcast crew even noted how he needed to throw it somewhere on one dropback -- it became painfully clear that Bears fans’ gripes about Fields have been substantiated. Plainly, Fields was gun-shy when he couldn’t afford to be. But when he needed to rip a throw downfield in a huge spot, Fields delivered, finding DJ Moore for a gain of 36. The Bears won because of this throw and Cairo Santos’ field goal. And while the evidence is there for Chicago to make a change in the offseason, it’s fair to wonder if his replacement will fare any better without improvements elsewhere. It’s also fair to contemplate whether Fields truly is the problem, or just needs more help from the front office.

https://www.vikings.com/news/bears-week-12-rehash
In comparison to last year, if you had said the defense will allow one combined touchdown in Weeks 11-12, there's a strong chance you'd expect the Vikings to win both games. Flores has done a great job, but it does seem like the mobility threats posed by Russell Wilson at Denver and Fields affected Minnesota's methodology.
The reduction in pressure allowed Fields to move the ball and throw the dagger into the Vikings hearts for 36 yards.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Every single analytical & betting model has the Niners beating us on Sunday. Haven’t seen a lot of the Niners games this season but didn’t realise that they had been this good. They are on record breaking numbers as per DVOA

Giggsy13

Every single analytical & betting model has the Niners beating us on Sunday. Haven’t seen a lot of the Niners games this season but didn’t realise that they had been this good. They are on record breaking numbers as per DVOA
Eagles have rode some luck this year but have shown a winning mentality, so credit where it’s due. Niners will present a much different challenge though and the revenge factor after the NFC championship game is also added fuel. Doesn’t help that Reddick opened his mouth giving the Niners more bulletin board material either. The Niners when motivated can crush the majority of teams in this league. Hoping that the Niners stomp on the Eagles this week. Still bitter myself after the way the NFC championship went down.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Eagles have rode some luck this year but have shown a winning mentality, so credit where it’s due. Niners will present a much different challenge though and the revenge factor after the NFC championship game is also added fuel. Doesn’t help that Reddick opened his mouth giving the Niners more bulletin board material either. The Niners when motivated can crush the majority of teams in this league. Hoping that the Niners stomp on the Eagles this week. Still bitter myself after the way the NFC championship went down.
I don't think the Eagles themselves need any bulletin board material after all the whining and unsportsmanlike behavior the Niners players showed after their playoff exit last season.

Niners seem to be a better team this season but prone to an off-day. Eagles have been slightly worse but have the experience, the better QB, and the grit and determination to win close games. Hoping for a very good game.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

It's almost 2024 and Joe Flacco will be starting an actual meaningful NFL game. Crazy.

whitbyviking

I don't think the Eagles themselves need any bulletin board material after all the whining and unsportsmanlike behavior the Niners players showed after their playoff exit last season.

Niners seem to be a better team this season but prone to an off-day. Eagles have been slightly worse but have the experience, the better QB, and the grit and determination to win close games. Hoping for a very good game.
Unsportsmanlike behaviour? What are the examples of that? I don’t remember much/any, other than some bemoaning their luck at losing all QB options, which wasn’t exactly unsportsmanlike

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Unsportsmanlike behaviour? What are the examples of that? I don’t remember much/any, other than some bemoaning their luck at losing all QB options, which wasn’t exactly unsportsmanlike
Completely agree – it's not that the players were unaccepting of the result, I think the feeling was that they felt it would have been more competitive had we had a QB who was fit enough to actually through the ball.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
“We lost because we played with 10 people,” Samuel told Complex.com in the offseason. “I ain’t going to keep going on about what could’ve happened and what would’ve happened but yeah, it would’ve definitely been a different outcome (if healthy). … If we had another quarterback, we would’ve been all right. In that situation, what could you do?”

Samuel earlier called Eagles cornerback James Bradberry “trash” during a Super Bowl-week podcast, and Aiyuk said the Eagles were “extremely lucky” in an interview with TheSFNiners.com.
Call it unsportsmanlike or not, it was extremely poor behavior.

Completely agree – it's not that the players were unaccepting of the result, I think the feeling was that they felt it would have been more competitive had we had a QB who was fit enough to actually through the ball.
There's a difference between "it would have been more competitive" and "it would've definitely been a different outcome" in my view.

You just take it on the chin, congratulate your opponent and move on no matter how disappointed you are imo; your WRs (and CMC if I'm not mistaken) did quite the opposite of that.