NFL 2023

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
So what's the play by the Colts here if they want Lamar? Trade their 4th to a team who could do with a QB and get as much other draft capital as possible before using their two 1sts for Lamar? Tampa Bay are probably the team picking latest in the draft who I could see being interested in getting one of the QBs.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
So what's the play by the Colts here if they want Lamar? Trade their 4th to a team who could do with a QB and get as much other draft capital as possible before using their two 1sts for Lamar? Tampa Bay are probably the team picking latest in the draft who I could see being interested in getting one of the QBs.
That or wait until after the draft and use the next two 1sts for the trade after taking the best defensive player available. I think they have that option.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
We still don't know what Lamar is actually after and there have also been reports that he doesn't want a fully guaranteed deal. He's getting slaughtered just because he doesn't have an agent but far worse situations have been created with an actual agent involved. I don't see how we can blame him in this situation without knowing for sure what has been going on. There are so many factors at play here (QB contracts given out last year, his label as "running" or "injury prone" QB, the Ravens' unwillingness to commit, ...) that it's impossible to simply state that he has played this poorly.
He values himself higher than the Ravens (& as it appears early on, the entire league) value him. He has no one objectively advising him. That's his choice. He's played this poorly thus far.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
There's very, very little chance that we would take one of the four who dropped that far or Hooker. It's basically 'ride or die' with Baker & Trask this season.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
He values himself higher than the Ravens (& as it appears early on, the entire league) value him. He has no one objectively advising him. That's his choice. He's played this poorly thus far.
So in your view he should have accepted an offer which was less than he thought himself worth?

The league / owners created a problem last year by giving out huge contracts to player not worth it (and a few tiers below Lamar at that). Now they are backtracking on that as a whole, and Lamar is the victim of those specific circumstances. Doesn't mean he should cave at all.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
So in your view he should have accepted an offer which was less than he thought himself worth?

The league / owners created a problem last year by giving out huge contracts to player not worth it (and a few tiers below Lamar at that). Now they are backtracking on that as a whole, and Lamar is the victim of those specific circumstances. Doesn't mean he should cave at all.
Then he will either play on the franchise $ or sit out. The market is derived by what will be paid for something. Right now he is pricing himself out of the current market. It's really that simple.

Again, this is on him as he made the choice to not have professional agent representation. No doubt he is feeling hard done by the Ravens, but that's why an agent is a profession. No doubt his feelings are hurt.

As for his on field worth, he most certainly is on a decline than an ascent. A savvy agent would be able to spin that.

We'll see how the next four weeks play out. After the draft, there will be potentially four or five teams who are pur of the QB market.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Another option could be Lamar signing the Ravens tender and negotiating another trade with a team that could include players and other picks.

Lamar wouldn’t sign the tender without a trade negotiated already is my guess.

Mac Jones and a 1st should do the trick :wenger:

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Then he will either play on the franchise $ or sit out. The market is derived by what will be paid for something. Right now he is pricing himself out of the current market. It's really that simple.

Again, this is on him as he made the choice to not have professional agent representation. No doubt he is feeling hard done by the Ravens, but that's why an agent is a profession. No doubt his feelings are hurt.

As for his on field worth, he most certainly is on a decline than an ascent. A savvy agent would be able to spin that.

We'll see how the next four weeks play out. After the draft, there will be potentially four or five teams who are pur of the QB market.
Why wouldn't Lamar be savvy enough to spin that himself?

Richard Sherman, Laremy Tunsil, Bobby Wagner and others have all successfully negotiated good contracts for themselves. There's no reason to believe that Lamar can't do that as well. It's just that the (QB) market is distorted at the moment by bad contracts given out last year. He shouldn't be the victim of that - and we don't even know for certain that he's after those kind of numbers. He can still emerge as a winner from this entire situation as soon as there's just one franchise willing to offer him what he's after.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Why wouldn't Lamar be savvy enough to spin that himself?

Richard Sherman, Laremy Tunsil, Bobby Wagner and others have all successfully negotiated good contracts for themselves. There's no reason to believe that Lamar can't do that as well. It's just that the (QB) market is distorted at the moment by bad contracts given out last year. He shouldn't be the victim of that - and we don't even know for certain that he's after those kind of numbers. He can still emerge as a winner from this entire situation as soon as there's just one franchise willing to offer him what he's after.
You are talking about anecdotal examples. Agents are involved in 99.99% of the contracts, you are offering an absolute scintilla of a number of deals done. It almost doesnt even register. The teams have MBA earners & law school grads in their contractual department, while agents are an accredited position with often decades of experience.

If you actually think a family advised, contractually neophytic player is going to be capable of negotiating the absolute pinnacle of the game's positions at a value higher than the franchise tag while being on a descent in his career & only potentially getting NFLPA contract assistance & after turning down a contract once, your optimism is off the charts.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Since they have been mentioned as an option and with the news that they rejected an extension offer from the Cousins camp. Should the Vikings target Lamar Jackson after his trade request?

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Since they have been mentioned as an option and with the news that they rejected an extension offer from the Cousins camp. Should the Vikings target Lamar Jackson after his trade request?
Most definitely. But so should the Jets, Lions, Falcons, Commanders, …

JPRouve

Scout
Most definitely. But so should the Jets, Lions, Falcons, Commanders, …
The issue is how do you fit JJ's and Darrisaw's future massive contracts? I have come around the two firsts but cap management would be very difficult.

Anyway, reports suggest that they want a QB on a rookie contract which makes sense.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
The issue is how do you fit JJ's and Darrisaw's future massive contracts? I have come around the two firsts but cap management would be very difficult.

Anyway, reports suggest that they want a QB on a rookie contract which makes sense.
Yeah indeed. Heard on some podcast last weekend that they could be interested in Hendon Hooker in the latter rounds.

JPRouve

Scout
Yeah indeed. Heard on some podcast last weekend that they could be interested in Hendon Hooker in the latter rounds.
Levis, Hooker and now Hall. It could be nonsense but yeah the rumor mill suggests that they are after a rookie QB this offseason or the next one.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Meek Mill has texted Robert Kraft stating that Lamar Jackson would like to join the Patriots.

Love to see it but don’t think it will happen.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports

Still don't like that this stupid rule change hasn't been totally binned. Could be on the cards for the 24 season.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Then 4th & 20? I think it's nice (and looks nice in the XFL as well). Onside kicks are boring as feck.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Kicking a ball along the ground and hoping it bobbles enough for the other team to drop seems such a dumb way to have a team try to retain possession.

If the roles were reversed and the current rule was some kind of 4th and miles play, and somebody came up with the onside kick as a new thing, surely nobody in their right mind would think it's a good idea.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

My heart skipped a beat, thought for a second three wouldn't be anymore Scott Hanson in my life after the first sentence.

Thank God.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

Pat already knows that's gonna be two Thursday appearances this fall :lol:

whitbyviking

If Mahomes upsets the NFL brass maybe he'll not be afforded so many special protection privileges during games........

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I think what I'd like to see change is that PI isn't a spot foul anymore, but not sure if there's a good alternative (i.e. a certain amount of yards depending on where the the ball is thrown from). A DB could just do anything with the WR if it looks like he's going to give up a TD. But still, some of those 1st & goals and huge gains as a result of (questionable) PI calls seemed unfair to me last season.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports

Bit confused by 10. Does that mean you have to have 2 feet down to tackle a ball carrier? That sounds impractical.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Kicking a ball along the ground and hoping it bobbles enough for the other team to drop seems such a dumb way to have a team try to retain possession.

If the roles were reversed and the current rule was some kind of 4th and miles play, and somebody came up with the onside kick as a new thing, surely nobody in their right mind would think it's a good idea.
I like the onside kick because the onus is on the receiving team to not feck it up and the chance of a successful conversion is about 5%. I think it's a bit unfair on a team leading by 14 in the last 5 minutes of a game that they can lose to an elite offense without their offense touching the ball. Your D can concede the 20 yards without doing anything wrong in particular if the opposition executes their play perfectly.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
I think what I'd like to see change is that PI isn't a spot foul anymore, but not sure if there's a good alternative (i.e. a certain amount of yards depending on where the the ball is thrown from). A DB could just do anything with the WR if it looks like he's going to give up a TD. But still, some of those 1st & goals and huge gains as a result of (questionable) PI calls seemed unfair to me last season.
I don't know how they could practically do anything with that given as you said it would allow the DBs to make tactical fouls to prevent TDs. I do think it's bullshit however that you aren't able to challenge a clear PI not given or a terrible PI that has been given.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

Fecking hell.

Best in the business...

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Pretty good numbers, probably the best for receptions and yards across first 50 games/first 3 seasons. Michael Thomas may have held the mark for most receptions in first 3 years - 321. Randy Moss probably held the record for most yards - 4163 - and most certainly for touchdowns - 43* - in first 3 years.

Receiving numbers are looking ridiculous over the past 20 years. I do wonder what some stars of yesteryear would do today.

Randy Moss had 47 total TDs - 43 receiving*, 3 rushing,1 punt return - over his first 3 years (48 games/43 starts). Note: 19% of his receptions were TDs.
Jerry Rice had 43 total TDs - 40 receiving, 3 rushing - over his first 3 years (44 games/31 starts - strike season his 3rd year). Note: 20% of his receptions were TDs; 22 receiving scores came in year 3... in 12 games.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports

Christ. Some of those names.