NFL 2023

Hephaestus

Wasn't expecting this to be as tough a game for the Jags as it's proving to be.

Charlie Foley

Sounds like bad news for Lawrence. Hopefully he’s ok.

here comes niners icon CJ MasturbateAggressively

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Brutal loss for the Jags. Their defence didn’t show up and then the awful injury to Lawrence plus the missed FG crushed them. Proper buzzkill from the refs to call that holding

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Also I don’t get why in that situation would the Jaguars not decide to defer in OT. Chances of getting a TD with backup are so low

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Rarely has one opinion told so much about the person who has it. If someone thinks Brock Purdy is the MVP they simply don't know ball and all other opinions can be disregarded.
I don’t think that he should be MVP but I think that he will win it.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I believe the MVP will be contested between Mahomes, Hurts, Prescott, Jackson, and possibly Allen if Buffalo make a big run in the last few weeks. And Miami have two options in Hill and Tua, granted I wouldn't vote a receiver for MVP no matter how awesome or record-breaking the player is - it's a QB award now days and Hill ain't putting up the same numbers with an average QB.

Mahomes is the best QB in the league, Hurts will have his team on 12-14 wins, Prescott is balling out currently. Jackson may have Baltimore the top seed and a big rushing game or two could vault him to 1k yards while his passing stats are meh. Allen is literally carrying his team as well.

I can't put Purdy above these guys in the MVP race, not now for sure. Goff would probably do the same in Kyle's system, don't hear chatter for him despite the numbers he's putting up in Detroit. McCaffery is the 49ers MVP and probably receives more votes.

Stroud is a long shot as a rookie and despite his performances it would be a joke to give him the MVP considering the others above.
Top rookie QBs in the MVP vote - leaving out some big names with decent first years but on really bad teams and/or with high turnover stats:
2020 - Herbert: 6-9, 4336 yds, 31 tds, 5 rush tds; record rookie passing TDs - no votes
2017 - Mayfield: 6-7, 3725 yds, 27 tds; most rookie passing TDs at the time; 271.1 pypg as starter - no votes
2016 - Dak: 13-3, 3667 yds, 23 tds, 6 rush tds - 6th
2012 - Luck: 11-5, 4374 yds, 23 tds - no votes
2012 - RGIII: 9-6, 3200 yds, 20 tds, 815 rush yds (record), 7 rush tds - no votes
2012 - Wilson: 11-5, 3118 yds, 26 tds, 489 rush yds, 4 rush tds; most rookie passing TDs at the time - no votes
2011 - Newton: 6-10, 4051 yds, 21 tds, 706 rush yds, 14 rush tds; still holds rookie QB rush td mark, did hold rookie pass & rush yds record - no votes
2004 - Roethlisberger: 13-0, 2621 yards, 17 tds - no votes
1983 - Marino: 7-2 (OT loss in first start), 2210 yds, 20 tds; passing numbers were insane in that era; started games 6-14, injured last two games - 3rd

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I don’t think Stroud will win but statistically speaking he’s having a good a year as any and is in a team nowhere near as talented as some of the others. If he can lead the Texans to an ACF South victory, and then make some waves in the playoffs (I know they shouldn’t theoretically count), he could get a fair few votes.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I believe the MVP will be contested between Mahomes, Hurts, Prescott, Jackson, and possibly Allen if Buffalo make a big run in the last few weeks. And Miami have two options in Hill and Tua, granted I wouldn't vote a receiver for MVP no matter how awesome or record-breaking the player is - it's a QB award now days and Hill ain't putting up the same numbers with an average QB.

Mahomes is the best QB in the league, Hurts will have his team on 12-14 wins, Prescott is balling out currently. Jackson may have Baltimore the top seed and a big rushing game or two could vault him to 1k yards while his passing stats are meh. Allen is literally carrying his team as well.

I can't put Purdy above these guys in the MVP race, not now for sure. Goff would probably do the same in Kyle's system, don't hear chatter for him despite the numbers he's putting up in Detroit. McCaffery is the 49ers MVP and probably receives more votes.

Stroud is a long shot as a rookie and despite his performances it would be a joke to give him the MVP considering the others above.
Top rookie QBs in the MVP vote - leaving out some big names with decent first years but on really bad teams and/or with high turnover stats:
2020 - Herbert: 6-9, 4336 yds, 31 tds, 5 rush tds; record rookie passing TDs - no votes
2017 - Mayfield: 6-7, 3725 yds, 27 tds; most rookie passing TDs at the time; 271.1 pypg as starter - no votes
2016 - Dak: 13-3, 3667 yds, 23 tds, 6 rush tds - 6th
2012 - Luck: 11-5, 4374 yds, 23 tds - no votes
2012 - RGIII: 9-6, 3200 yds, 20 tds, 815 rush yds (record), 7 rush tds - no votes
2012 - Wilson: 11-5, 3118 yds, 26 tds, 489 rush yds, 4 rush tds; most rookie passing TDs at the time - no votes
2011 - Newton: 6-10, 4051 yds, 21 tds, 706 rush yds, 14 rush tds; still holds rookie QB rush td mark, did hold rookie pass & rush yds record - no votes
2004 - Roethlisberger: 13-0, 2621 yards, 17 tds - no votes
1983 - Marino: 7-2 (OT loss in first start), 2210 yds, 20 tds; passing numbers were insane in that era; started games 6-14, injured last two games - 3rd
The thing is you can’t just list the rookies in isolation. It’s all relative to how other QBs are doing in the league.

Look at Rodgers’ 2020 season, of course Herbert wasn’t getting votes for example. This year I don’t think there is an obvious candidate in this way. So whilst unlikely, IF Stroud continues to ball out and lead the league in yards, and IF he can get them to the top of the AFC South, and IF he plays well in the playoffs, he could well get some decent votes. But again, all relative to what others do.

MrMarcello

The thing is you can’t just list the rookies in isolation. It’s all relative to how other QBs are doing in the league.

Look at Rodgers’ 2020 season, of course Herbert wasn’t getting votes for example. This year I don’t think there is an obvious candidate in this way. So whilst unlikely, IF Stroud continues to ball out and lead the league in yards, and IF he can get them to the top of the AFC South, and IF he plays well in the playoffs, he could well get some decent votes. But again, all relative to what others do.
Fair point but voters clearly don't vote for rookie QBs even when the playing field is evened. The names I mentioned should be leading the field. Stroud has the yards lead but he's 23rd in completion percentage, t-8th in TDs, and 12th in QBR. He's arguably having an all-time best rookie QB season but should not be voted above these others carrying teams nor do I think voters will award him; he could still garner top 5 votes especially if Houston top the division but don't see how playoffs affect voting, the vote is tallied right after week 17.

2016 saw no statistical greatness across the league so Matt Ryan took home the award with 4944 yards and 38 tds. Brady and Carr were next in voting with decent years but not eye-popping stats. Zeke finished 4th as a rookie RB while Dak finished 6th.

RGIII and Luck took their teams to massive turnarounds in 2012 but that was Peterson's big year and the last non-QB winner.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Surely Mahomes isn't even in the discussion this year? He's doing nothing wrong, but similarly nothing to make him MVP worthy.

I'd love Dak to get it (for obvious reasons) but think unless he dominates the Eagles this weekend and then leads Dallas to at least 1 win in the 2 games that follow (Bills and Dolphins) he should rightly miss out. As great as he's been to watch pretty much all season, Seattle are best team we've beat.

If it was decided today, then I'd probably say Hurts should win it. Closely followed by Jackson.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Surely Mahomes isn't even in the discussion this year? He's doing nothing wrong, but similarly nothing to make him MVP worthy.

I'd love Dak to get it (for obvious reasons) but think unless he dominates the Eagles this weekend and then leads Dallas to at least 1 win in the 2 games that follow (Bills and Dolphins) he should rightly miss out. As great as he's been to watch pretty much all season, Seattle are best team we've beat.

If it was decided today, then I'd probably say Hurts should win it. Closely followed by Jackson.
Jackson and Mahomes would be behind Purdy, Hurts, Tua and Dak at this point in time. If Hill reaches the 2,000 mark he should be in the conversation.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Stroud or Prescott for me.
These two and Lamar imo. But feel like Prescott is the only viable option in the eyes of most of the public and media.

Beyond me how some can argue that Stroud shouldn't be in the conversation based on some stats. You haven't seen how truly awful the Texans were in the years prior to this one in that case. Having a (seemingly) capable HC does help but Stroud has almost single-handedly turned around that franchise in 3 months time by the looks of it right now.

I also think Josh Allen should be included for what it's worth but no one will have him in the conversation with the Bills sitting at 6-6.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
The 2k argument for Hill is so dumb as well. If he gets 1,920 he shouldn't be considered but if he houses a 85-yarder on a blown coverage in Wk 18 suddenly he should be up there as most valuable player for his team because he broke a record. Makes no sense to me whatsoever.

If you look at the Dolphins' schedule you couldn't argue with a straight face that they would've lost one game that they won right now because of his presence in Miami.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
These two and Lamar imo. But feel like Prescott is the only viable option in the eyes of most of the public and media.

Beyond me how some can argue that Stroud shouldn't be in the conversation based on some stats. You haven't seen how truly awful the Texans were in the years prior to this one in that case. Having a (seemingly) capable HC does help but Stroud has almost single-handedly turned around that franchise in 3 months time by the looks of it right now.

I also think Josh Allen should be included for what it's worth but no one will have him in the conversation with the Bills sitting at 6-6.
Yeah Allen is third for me.

MrMarcello

Mahomes is always in the discussion just like Brady, Manning, Rodgers, etc. were. He may not be the leading candidate or even third choice but he's always in the discussion. The best at the QB position usually is. He's also in the top 5/10 in every category while having one bonafide weapon in Kelce, probably even more impressive stat lines if his receivers weren't dropping TD passes.

Last edited: