NFL 2023

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
He’s also a whiney little shit and gets a lot of highly favourable calls from the officials.

As a Broncos fan I’m always going to be rooting against a division rival.
I can understand the animosity rooting against a division rival.

Mahomes is going to get more calls than most because he's always putting himself in the center of everything. Combine that with how the league is now treating QBs in terms of player safety and this is what you've got.

He really is a whiny SOB, that's true. It seems, unlike most people, I can get past that since he is just so good to watch.

Last edited:

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Fair point!

I just find it so strange that many people seem to be almost offended by Purdy. People are jumping on the Detroit fairy tale story, but not liking the fairy tale of Mr Irrelevant leading his team to the Super Bowl in his first full season as starter and after having off-season surgery for a potentially career-ending injury...whilst on the way breaking team records for passing yards, and being the highest ranked QB in the NFL across most of the major statistics.
I can see how it's different from one another. Detroit has suffered for half a century or so, has hit depths very few other franchise have seen (0-16 season for example), and even two years ago they were 3-13-1. Dan Campbell is a very likeable character, they steadily grew into their own and became what we saw this season. The Goff redemption arc is a nice one as well. On the other hand, whilst Purdy's story in itself might indeed be a fairytale, it doesn't come out of nowhere. The Niners were already a Super Bowl calibre team before him (and, in my opinion, they would be with around 15-20 other QBs in the league as well). The impressive thing is that he has been able to play well enough to keep his job as a 7th rounder with no prior experience, but other than that I don't think his play in itself warrants the word "impressive".

No matter what he does, people are looking for an angle to discredit him:

He's just a system QB – ignoring the fact that other QBs have not performed anywhere close to as well in the same offense.
I think we can all agree that Jimmy G can be described as pretty damn average, if not bad. Their 2019 vs 2023 season:
308-444, 69.4 cmp%, 4,280 yards, 31-11 TD/INT for a 113 QB rating.
329-476, 69.1 cmp%, 3,978 yards, 27-13 TD/INT for a 102 QB rating.

Purdy is the former, Jimmy G the latter. Purdy performed better but he also has added playmakers like Trent Williams and Brandon Aiyuk wich Jimmy G did not have. So imo Jimmy G definitely did perform close to Purdy.

He just has good players around him
– true, but no idea why this argument isn't equally applied to other QBs.
You can't see how Deebo and Aiyuk compare to Rice/MVS or Flowers/Bateman as your WR1 and WR2, or how CMC compares to Edwards and Pacheco?

His receivers just pick up YAC yards that pad his stats
– true, they are YAC machines - but they are dependent on him being able to hit them in stride so that they can pick up those additional yards. Jimmy G was unable to throw his receivers open, for example. Also, he is middle of the pack when it comes to YAC yards, yet at the very top when it comes to deep ball accuracy, rating, TDs etc. The fact that we have a deep-ball threat thanks to Purdy has really opened up our offense – and absolutely helps McCaffery and the run game.

Just two examples on how the Niners make life easy on Purdy and scheme up plays. And that's of course not a slight on him, but he is put in a position to win way better than a lot of other QBs, which is why I think Shanahan could basically do this with the likes of Mayfield as well.

There was also the opinion that he couldn't drag his team from behind and win a game. There were many games this year that weren't even close - thanks in part to Purdy's exceptional play. But as soon as he has a couple of not so good games – yet still manages to elevate his game when it matters and lead his team to a victory...people just criticise his performance instead. Reminds me of the quote: "If my critics saw me walking over water, they would say it was because I couldn't swim."
Not without good reason:

So yesterday was the first time he overcame a big deficit (granted you can't overcome one if you're almost never in one either, of course) and I already mentioned the crazy sequence he needed in order to set that up.

Maybe it's because no one really stood out this season and SF was one of the best teams that he was put in the MVP conversation, I don't know. Lamar wasn't spectacular either, but he sure is a lot more valuable to the Ravens than Purdy to the Niners. That's my main gripe with him and I admit he can do nothing about that, but he shouldn't ever have been in that convo. And like I said, I simply don't think he's a top 15 QB in the league, he doesn't pass the eye test for me, but there are a lot of stats out there in which he's 1st or near the top to counter that argument as well so I'm completely fine with it if people disagree with my view.

DavelinaJolie

How are the Chiefs villains?
I mean... You're posting on a Manchester United forum!

It's fairly normal to dislike a team that is dominating if it's not the one you support, and personally I tend to root for the underdog.

I would have loved to see the Ravens win another Superbowl, but as it is I'll be rooting for San Fran because I want to see some change at the top

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

It's fairly normal to dislike a team that is dominating if it's not the one you support, and personally I tend to root for the underdog.

I would have loved to see the Ravens win another Superbowl, but as it is I'll be rooting for San Fran because I want to see some change at the top
None of that make them villains, the same way United weren't villains. It's totally understandable that people root for the underdog or for a new team but being favorite doesn't make you a villain. Otherwise what are we calling the Saints during bounty gate or the Jeff Fisher lead Rams who were dirty teams?

DavelinaJolie

None of that make them villains, the same way United weren't villains. It's totally understandable that people root for the underdog or for a new team but being favorite doesn't make you a villain. Otherwise what are we calling the Saints during bounty gate or the Jeff Fisher lead Rams who were dirty teams?
Well to opposing fans United were villains, hence conspiracies about Ferguson, the league and refs.

Mahomes is taking on a Brady like aura with the complaining to the refs. And that certainly makes him unlikeable to rival fans who will perceive any dodgy call as more problematic.

Not saying I agree, but people will naturally pull out the things they see to add fuel to their fire.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State

I think dynasties are much more acceptable in American sports than in England because of geographical issues (especially in the professional game). Back in the UK pretty much everybody can have a home town team, go to the game, be a real fan. In the US because of the distances involved, a lot of fans are armchair supporters and only get to watch "their team" on TV. Since the networks want ratings they tend to show the popular teams which because of human nature tend to be those that win a lot. Therefore, if your not a hardcore fan it's much easier to switch allegiance and become a fan of a new team that you can watch every week. Hence dynasties become more acceptable.

JPRouve

Scout
Well to opposing fans United were villains, hence conspiracies about Ferguson, the league and refs.

Mahomes is taking on a Brady like aura with the complaining to the refs. And that certainly makes him unlikeable to rival fans who will perceive any dodgy call as more problematic.

Not saying I agree, but people will naturally pull out the things they see to add fuel to their fire.
The point is that it's silly. And most franchises aren't rivals to the Chiefs.

DavelinaJolie

The point is that it's silly. And most franchises aren't rivals to the Chiefs.
Well, yes....

Investing emotion in people throwing or kicking a ball around is silly. We do it anyway. Being a fan isn't really rational, it's an emotional investment, and that can lead us to do daft things like stand in the freezing snow, topless with face paint on, or call dynastic clubs villains because we don't like their success.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Can't find it anymore but I saw a Tweet yesterday from the 2018ish period, a graphic of the US per state where Massachusetts was rooting for the Pats and the 49 other States for the Chiefs, whereas now in 2024 it was Chiefs in Missouri/Kansas and Ravens in the other 48 (bar Ohio and maybe Pennsylvania I think, they were also red).

You either die a hero or win enough to see yourself become the villain.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
“so so bad” is just plain wrong. He might not be top 10 but he is more than competent. A legit dual threat, coming back from a serious injury and performing well beyond his “numbers”. Really don’t understand the hate for him.
He's nowhere near Josh Allen in terms of running, but he definitely has the ability to run for first downs here and there, which is all that's needed to keep the defense honest, which in turn also allows the likes of Kittle, Deebo, Aiyuk, and CMC more flexibility to get open. With the exception of Burrow and Marino, I can't recall many QBs taking their teams this far in their first two years.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
It’s funny to me that even fans of clubs like United or Bayern are so prone to hating the successful clubs.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
He's nowhere near Josh Allen in terms of running, but he definitely has the ability to run for first downs here and there, which is all that's needed to keep the defense honest, which in turn also allows the likes of Kittle, Deebo, Aiyuk, and CMC more flexibility to get open. With the exception of Burrow and Marino, I can't recall many QBs taking their teams this far in their first two years.
I agree with this. I don't see him as a proper dual-threat, but rather than someone is is surprisingly athletic and has enough mobility to extend plays and run for the occasional first down.

The more I see of him, the more he reminds me of Montana. I think they share similar traits – not the strongest arms, but great accuracy and anticipation and the ability to remain calm under pressure.

Sylar

lolions.

I actually think Chiefs/Niners could be a great Superbowl. I had those two to make it mid season,and whilst they did make it, both are very lucky also. Other teams have really let them off or missed big opportunities. Both packers and lions should have beaten them. Yesterday, Ravens just did their best not to win the game.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I agree with this. I don't see him as a proper dual-threat, but rather than someone is is surprisingly athletic and has enough mobility to extend plays and run for the occasional first down.

The more I see of him, the more he reminds me of Montana. I think they share similar traits – not the strongest arms, but great accuracy and anticipation and the ability to remain calm under pressure.
Agree with the Montana comparison. He had a certain mercurial quality about him that I see in Purdy as well, albeit in slightly lesser quantity. Purdy's rise has been faster than Montana's given Joe spent his first two seasons not going much at all, where as Purdy's first two years resulted in an NFC championship game and SB appearance.

Charlie Foley

He is very agile which helps. I think his shape/build helps a lot with that, and the baby bosa legs

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
With the exception of Burrow and Marino, I can't recall many QBs taking their teams this far in their first two years.
Brady won the Super Bowl in his first year as a starter.

Charlie Foley

I can understand the animosity rooting against a division rival.

Mahomes is going to get more calls than most because he's always putting himself in the center of everything. Combine that with how the league is now treating QBs in terms of player safety and this is what you've got.

He really is a whiny SOB, that's true. It seems, unlike most people, I can get past that since he is just so good to watch.
He’s Steph if Steph was a whiny bitch. And got all the calls

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
All you guys talking about each other teams and who is more popular or hated when you've made it to Superbowls or even won several of them while my poor Lions just wanted to be part of it but once :(

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Brady won the Super Bowl in his first year as a starter.
Yeah Brady would be in the mix as well. He barely played in season 1, then took over in season two resulting in a SB win. Similar to how Montana took over from Steve DeBerg and led them to the 81 title.

Charlie Foley

Fans are shit, local fans I mean. Lived in SF for a few years in the late 90s & the fan base made me nauseous, the epitome of a 'prawn sandwich' bunch with delusional entitlement syndrome. Local Oakland fans were far superior in every aspect.
Isn’t this the case for every successful/big team though? Especially in the US. I could go on for days about the crap I hear from the ravens fans and that’s a team and city no one nationally cares about like others. Cowboys fans are cnuts. Chiefs fans are amateur eskimos, Mahomes fanboys, and swifties. I lived in Philly for 3 years and know awesome eagles fans and then people who act like pricks and hide in the mob. There are plastic lakers fans all over the country, and in LA, just like there are good knowledgeable fans all over the place. There are cringey pricks who cling on to United, Liverpool, Barcelona, etc.

agreed with you about Oakland though. It’s a damn shame that city has no sports team moving forward. My dad’s an A’s fan and I don’t know how much he’ll care once they’re in vegas

JPRouve

Scout
By the look of it, Lamar is now widely considered a choker. I kind of feel sorry for him.

carpy

Puff the magic dragon
He’s also a whiney little shit and gets a lot of highly favourable calls from the officials.

As a Broncos fan I’m always going to be rooting against a division rival.
The irony of calling someone a whiny little shit while whining like a little shit.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
All you guys talking about each other teams and who is more popular or hated when you've made it to Superbowls or even won several of them while my poor Lions just wanted to be part of it but once :(
And now that you’ve been reminded of your place, just stay there.

Dan_F

Understatement of the year :lol: I couldn’t help thinking about Allen during the second half last night and how well he had to play to keep the Bills in that previous game. Imagine him with Baltimore’s defense.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Still can't believe you ignored the chance to get 2 FGs. That showed some playoff naivety which they will learn from, although it is a painful lesson.

RedDevilRoshi

Gutted for the Lions but the 49ers couldn’t play any worse as they did in that 1st half. As soon as they got the TD in the 3rd quarter, it just felt like a matter of time that the game was going to swing into their favour.

Sets up for a good superbowl :D

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Understatement of the year :lol: I couldn’t help thinking about Allen during the second half last night and how well he had to play to keep the Bills in that previous game. Imagine him with Baltimore’s defense.
Allen's big issue is picks. He's averaged 13 a year in six seasons, which is pretty high (he had 18 this year). That's always going to be a drag on any team trying to win, much less make it to, a SB.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Isn’t this the case for every successful/big team though? Especially in the US. I could go on for days about the crap I hear from the ravens fans and that’s a team and city no one nationally cares about like others. Cowboys fans are cnuts. Chiefs fans are amateur eskimos, Mahomes fanboys, and swifties. I lived in Philly for 3 years and know awesome eagles fans and then people who act like pricks and hide in the mob. There are plastic lakers fans all over the country, and in LA, just like there are good knowledgeable fans all over the place. There are cringey pricks who cling on to United, Liverpool, Barcelona, etc.

agreed with you about Oakland though. It’s a damn shame that city has no sports team moving forward. My dad’s an A’s fan and I don’t know how much he’ll care once they’re in vegas
It's the inherent haughtiness of local SF fans & their disdain for the common football fan. The entitlement was off the charts. I was in the absolute midst it as I was a wine salesman in downtown SF & the dot.com boom was in full swing. I got invited to countless tailgating parties outside Candlestick where they had ropes condoning off the area & security guards milling about. I barely made the cut to enter as I was curating a dozen season ticket holders' personal wine cellars & they knew I was a football fan. This was not out of the norm for tailgating there. It was so sterile & uncomfortable a situation. But, again, that was the local wealthy season holder circa 1998 & 1999. Perhaps the season ticket fan base shifted some to the more common folk when they migrated south. Dunno.

As far as non-local resident SF fans, haven't met too many that were over the top except for this one cat. He was a sous chef at a restaurant I was managing & he took a swing at me on expo right in front of the floor. He was (& probably still is) an insufferable cnut when it came to the Niners; I hope that the Niners lose for him to remain miserable too.