NFL Thread 2019

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

Watson should be in there ahead of Big Ben and Cam imo.

Also, Brees should be above Brady and Rivers is way too high for me. Rodgers way too low.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Madden bitch out of giving Brady an accurate rating. No surprise.
Happens all the time tbf, same goes for FIFA and some waning stars who still got 87 something (Rooney comes to mind).

But no way Brady should be higher than the likes of Rodgers, Brees, Luck, Ryan and a few others probably.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
RB ratings
97 Gurley
94 Zeke
92 Bell
92 Gordon
91 Saquon
91 CMC
90 Hunt
90 Kamara
89 Freeman
88 Mixon
87 Carson
87 DJ

WR ratings
99 Hopkins
98 AB
98 Julio
96 OBJ
95 Thomas
94 Hill
94 Thielen
93 Diggs
92 Adams
91 Evans
91 Hilton

TE ratings
96 Kelce
93 Ertz
92 Walker
90 Kittle
89 Olsen
88 Eifert
88 Reed
87 Burton
87 Cook
86 Ebron
86 Henry

- Barkley should be between Zeke and Gurley
- Freeman is way too high
- Johnson is better than his rating but it's understandable
- Davante Adams deserves to be higher than Diggs and Thielen
- Kelce could be rated even higher for me
- Delanie Walker at 92 is insane
- Kittle should be closer to Ertz

Defensive ratings can be found here for anyone interested.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Brady haters already complaining before the season has started :drool:

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
RB ratings
97 Gurley
94 Zeke
92 Bell
92 Gordon
91 Saquon
91 CMC
90 Hunt
90 Kamara
89 Freeman
88 Mixon
87 Carson
87 DJ

WR ratings
99 Hopkins
98 AB
98 Julio
96 OBJ
95 Thomas
94 Hill
94 Thielen
93 Diggs
92 Adams
91 Evans
91 Hilton

TE ratings
96 Kelce
93 Ertz
92 Walker
90 Kittle
89 Olsen
88 Eifert
88 Reed
87 Burton
87 Cook
86 Ebron
86 Henry

- Barkley should be between Zeke and Gurley
- Freeman is way too high
- Johnson is better than his rating but it's understandable
- Davante Adams deserves to be higher than Diggs and Thielen
- Kelce could be rated even higher for me
- Delanie Walker at 92 is insane
- Kittle should be closer to Ertz

Defensive ratings can be found here for anyone interested.
Gurley and AB are way too high. I'd take both Zeke and Saquon over Gurley.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Gurley and AB are way too high. I'd take both Zeke and Saquon over Gurley.
I agree that they're both more talented RBs and would operate as good as Gurley in the Rams offence but you cannot really not have Gurley as the top RB after the 2 seasons he's just had. Don't think he'll be anywhere near the top RBs this season especially if they'll manage his workload a bit after his knee issues.

Man of Leisure

I agree that they're both more talented RBs and would operate as good as Gurley in the Rams offence but you cannot really not have Gurley as the top RB after the 2 seasons he's just had. Don't think he'll be anywhere near the top RBs this season especially if they'll manage his workload a bit after his knee issues.
I think his knee issues are far from over.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I guess the overall rating depends on the QBs player type. So where Brady would have terrible scramble and throw on the run stats, they probably don’t impact his overall because his QB type in the game isn’t based on that.

Comparing just overall ratings is a bit misleading tbh.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Happens all the time tbf, same goes for FIFA and some waning stars who still got 87 something (Rooney comes to mind).

But no way Brady should be higher than the likes of Rodgers, Brees, Luck, Ryan and a few others probably.
He should be higher than Brees and definitely Ryan.

I fancy Luck for MVP this year as it goes.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Nerds in here debating over fecking games!

Let's talk real stuff here.

Should Zeke get paid over Dak? I'm sure Eboue can offer up why a RB shouldn't be paid. Anyone offer up why Zeke should be paid?

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

Should Zeke get paid over Dak? I'm sure Eboue can offer up why a RB shouldn't be paid. Anyone offer up why Zeke should be paid?
Depends on what kind of money he's after, but Dak should be the priority for the Cowboys - underrated QB, no QB apart from Brady has more wins than Dak since he entered the league.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
There is nowhere near the necessary differential between RBs to justify paying them at the top of your roster level, same as they shouldn't be drafted too high.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
No RB should be payed. They are simply not worth it. Sames goes for Gordon. If I were the Chargers, I'd trade him to someone who's stupid enough to pay him.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
If Zeke does threaten to hold out/does hold out, I'd prefer they trade his ass out of town.

But Jerry was spoiled with the likes of Emmitt so he'll pay Zeke is my guess.

Man of Leisure

Is this even a real question? Of course Zeke should get paid. Will definitely be way harder to replace Zeke than Dak who I don't even really rate.

Man of Leisure

No RB should be payed. They are simply not worth it. Sames goes for Gordon. If I were the Chargers, I'd trade him to someone who's stupid enough to pay him.
:lol: Never played or watched the sport, have you? The drop in quality between Zeke and Gordon is significant. Plus, Melvin's injury history isn't the greatest.

Man of Leisure

Don't get me wrong, QBs are the most important position in all of sports. However, elite RBs are being seriously underrated on here. Zeke is 23 years old ffs.

Last edited:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
:lol: Never played or watched the sport, have you? The drop in quality between Zeke and Gordon is significant. Plus, Melvin's injury history isn't the greatest.
I'm just gonna quote the last time bitchmade ebooby got into this because it saves a lot of effort

elliot averaged 4.1 yards per carry last year

in the games without him, here is what alfred morris / rod smith did:

• 14 att, 67 yrd, 4.8 ypc
  • 25 att, 102 yrd, 4.1 ypc
  • 18 att, 77 yrd, 4.3 ypc
  • 37 att, 154 yrd, 4.2 ypc
  • 25 att, 109 yrd, 4.4 ypc
  • 23 att, 74 yrd, 3.2 ypc

your memory doesnt align with what actually happened
in fact, you can even look at last year's stats for the whole season and see this:

morris 4.8 ypc
smith 4.2 ypc
elliot 4.1 ypc

oh well. its not like the guy chosen immediately after him was 1st team all pro or anything.
you said the cowboys collapsed without him. i just pointed out that is wrong. my comparison makes more sense because they played in the same offense behind the same offensive line. not so with darkwa and bell.

but really, the larger point that i have been making all along is that running backs are the most interchangeable position (which is why its easier for rookies to contribute at running back than any other position) and that talent evaluators cannot consistently determine which running back will be better.

• phillip lindsey was undrafted
  • matt breida was undrafted
  • dion lewis was a 5th round pick
  • david johnson was a 3rd round pick
  • tarik cohen was a 4th round pick
  • kareem hunt was a 3rd round pick
  • alvin kamara was a 3rd round pick
  • james conner was a 3rd round pick
  • jordan howard was a 5th round pick

meanwhile

• tj yeldon was a 2nd round pick
  • ameer abdullah was a 2nd round pick
  • bishop sankey was a 2nd round pick
  • montee ball was a 2nd round pick
  • eddie lacy was a 2nd round pick
  • christine michael was a 2nd round pick
  • trent richardson, doug martin and david wilson all went in the first round in the same draft

the best running back drafted in 2008 was matt forte: he was the 6th back picked that year (shoutout to justin forsett, picked 25th, ranked 7th)
the best running back drafted in 2009 was lesean mccoy: he was the 4th back picked that year
the best running back drafted in 2010 was ryan matthews: he was the 2nd back picked that year (3rd best is james starks, picked 13th)
the best running back drafted in 2011 was demarco murray: he was the 6th back picked that year
the best running back drafted in 2012 was lamar miller: he was the 8th back picked that year
the best running back drafted in 2013 was leveon bell: he was the 2nd back picked that year
the best running back drafted in 2014 was devonta freeman: he was the 8th back picked that year
the best running back drafted in 2015 was todd gurley: he was the 1st back picked that year (2nd best is david johnson, picked 7th)

thats 8 years and only once was the back picked 1st actually the best. you can go back even further and see a time where you could have a reasonable chance of picking the best running back. its just that the game has moved on. rule changes benefit passing more than ever. teams use running back committees more than ever. its just not a good use of resources to use a top pick on a running back. even if you think you can evaluate which is best, history says you cant

2007: 1st
2006: 6th
2005: 6th
2004: 1st
2003: 1st
2002: 4th
2001: 1st
2000: 1st
1999: 1st
1998: 2nd
1997: 3rd
1996: 3rd
1995: 10th
1994: 1st
1993: 2nd
1992: 10th
1991: 6th

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Depends on what kind of money he's after, but Dak should be the priority for the Cowboys - underrated QB, no QB apart from Brady has more wins than Dak since he entered the league.
That you Skip Bayless?

He's average at actually being a QB, the rest of the team carries him. Let's see how he goes this season with two WR's that can really help him elevate his game and show his worth.

Man of Leisure

I'm just gonna quote the last time bitchmade ebooby got into this because it saves a lot of effort
Noticed in those eboue quotes, he stopped at 2015 with Todd Gurley. Zeke was the first RB drafted in 2016, and he was the best RB of his draft class. Same with Saquon Barkley in 2018. If we wait another 3 years, that'll still likely be the case. So that's 3 RBs picked first in their respective draft classes out of the last 4 drafts (can't include 2019), where the talent evaluators got it right. 2017 was an especially loaded RB draft class with the likes of Kamara, McCaffrey, Hunt, Mixon, Fournette, Cook and Conner. Fournette was the first RB selected, and I doubt he'll end up being the best with his injury history and the likes of Kamara, McCaffrey, Hunt and Mixon in the same draft class. Still think it's too early to judge someone like Conner who had one good season running behind a great Pittsburgh o-line.

As for the Zeke vs Morris and Smith comparisons, those numbers were from 2017. He was suspended for the first 6 games and clearly didn't come back the same player as the year before. In 2018, he averaged 4.7 yards per carry behind a not-so-great Dallas line while Smith dropped all the way down to 2.9.

I actually agree with eboue on his main point that RBs are generally interchangeable. The days of the bell cow RB are a thing of the past. And the one thing almost universally true about RBs (unless you're a freak like AD) is that once they hit 29-30 years old, their performance numbers fall off drastically. That still doesn't mean you don't pay top dollar for an elite, young RB, say an Ezekiel Elliott or a Saquon Barkley. Or an Adrian Peterson in his prime. Their values are immense. Without a doubt, it's much easier to replace a Dak Prescott than an Ezekiel Elliott.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Have to prioritise Dak.

That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t pay Zeke. Having said that, the kind of contracts top RBs have got in recent years makes me think don’t pay him and trade him to someone who will, purely because:

- Hazard a guess that RB carries the highest injury risk on the field (would love to know factually if true)
- Interchangeable and quality drop off between best and good isn’t actually that big.
- Teams run by committee now. And are successful with it too. Play calling is much more creative, a pass catching back can be formulated into run plays and that creates the diversity and uncertainty.
- Consistency of performance, running backs always tend to have up and down years.

@Man of Leisure the comment above re: 2017 kind of proves the point. Look at the sheer number of high quality backs.

If you look back over the last decade the number of top quality running backs drafted each year has been, I would guess, a lot more successful than other positions. You don’t need to prioritise paying a RB, and certainly many other positions should be prioritised. I agree with you to an extent that that doesn’t inherently mean you shouldn’t pay running backs ever, but you really need to consider the situation and it’s rare the situation warrants it.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Noticed in those eboue quotes, he stopped at 2015 with Todd Gurley. Zeke was the first RB drafted in 2016, and he was the best RB of his draft class. Same with Saquon Barkley in 2018. If we wait another 3 years, that'll still likely be the case. So that's 3 RBs picked first in their respective draft classes out of the last 4 drafts (can't include 2019), where the talent evaluators got it right. 2017 was an especially loaded RB draft class with the likes of Kamara, McCaffrey, Hunt, Mixon, Fournette, Cook and Conner. Fournette was the first RB selected, and I doubt he'll end up being the best with his injury history and the likes of Kamara, McCaffrey, Hunt and Mixon in the same draft class. Still think it's too early to judge someone like Conner who had one good season running behind a great Pittsburgh o-line.

As for the Zeke vs Morris and Smith comparisons, those numbers were from 2017. He was suspended for the first 6 games and clearly didn't come back the same player as the year before. In 2018, he averaged 4.7 yards per carry behind a not-so-great Dallas line while Smith dropped all the way down to 2.9.

I actually agree with eboue on his main point that RBs are generally interchangeable. The days of the bell cow RB are a thing of the past. And the one thing almost universally true about RBs (unless you're a freak like AD) is that once they hit 29-30 years old, their performance numbers fall off drastically. That still doesn't mean you don't pay top dollar for an elite, young RB, say an Ezekiel Elliott or a Saquon Barkley. Or an Adrian Peterson in his prime. Their values are immense. Without a doubt, it's much easier to replace a Dak Prescott than an Ezekiel Elliott.
Definitely disagree about the bolded part, and I think that Zeke is the most talented RB in the league after Barkley.

Just ask the Rams how happy they are with the contract they gave to Gurley last season. I would also be very surprised if any team is stupid enough to pay top dollar for Melvin Gordon right now. The Chargers would be mad to trade him anyway, they can just keep him and franchise tag him if they want to.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I wouldn't pay Elliott. The only RB that would make me think about it is Kamara, the others have mileage, tools or character issues. And one of the issues with RBs is that they are actually easy to replace, just think about it Gordon/Gurley are the older(drafted in 2015) RBs in FO's RBs rushing top 10, if you take both rushing and receiving James White is the older one being drafted in 2014.
It's not even debateable that RBs are easily replaced, they are actually replaced every years.

As for Elliott, his advanced stats are declining by the year, his rookie year was great, he had the best DYAR and 6th DVOA in 2016, in the same stats in 2017 he was 7th and 8th and then 9th and 18th.