NFL Thread

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Is everyone going to let this nonsense pass? winning a cup competition in a niche sport vs dominating one of the toughest leagues in the world's most important sport - at least you're right about it not being a contest.
6 Super Bowls >>> 2 Champions Leagues

Skåre Willoch

Bit different.

We usually replace good players, but D McCourty and Gronk and Flowers are broadly our leaders.

That’s why it could be much harder as it’s the leadership and character that’s being lost more than the football talent.
Gronk has barely even played, and has been a shadow of his former self before his great games in the playoffs this season. Don't think losing him will be as bad as yoy make it out to be.

We might be able to sign Flowers and McCourty, but if we lose both of them, as well as Gostkowski, a great effort is needed to get back to this level for sure. Is there really any indication that they'll all leave, though?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Is everyone going to let this nonsense pass? winning a cup competition in a niche sport vs dominating one of the toughest leagues in the world's most important sport - at least you're right about it not being a contest.
It's nonsense to call it nonsense.

Very prepared to be wrong, as it’s foolish to write off the Patriots, Bellichick and Brady

But it does seem like this season was the beginning of the end, Brady did seem to not be as effective, doubts over Gronk moving forward and reduced production even if he carries in

Would still expect them to make play-offs because of their division. But got to think that now is finally the start of the end of the dynasty, and continuing to be so successful is going to become less and less likely

But watch, they’ll reinvent themselves as something else and be a threat still

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
So your only argument is hyperbole about how soccer is the most important sport in the world ? Well it helps that you can spend as much money as you like in the premier league while the NFL is made for keeping teams level . Oh btw NFL isn't a cup competition but even if it was then being so consistent in a sporting event with so many knockout games is a massive achievement.

I am a United fan myself but in those dynasty years we won 2Cl titles which is probably a better comparison with a lot of teams spending similar money and there being a lot of knockout games . I would be shocked if too many neutral fans who follow both sports would put United above patriots

P.S I probably went overboard with the no contest thing but Patriots are without doubt the better dynasty

Skåre Willoch

Very prepared to be wrong, as it’s foolish to write off the Patriots, Bellichick and Brady

But it does seem like this season was the beginning of the end, Brady did seem to not be as effective, doubts over Gronk moving forward and reduced production even if he carries in

Would still expect them to make play-offs because of their division. But got to think that now is finally the start of the end of the dynasty, and continuing to be so successful is going to become less and less likely

But watch, they’ll reinvent themselves as something else and be a threat still
Although I agree with you, and has said so many times this season as well, I think it's unfair to be to hard on Brady after yesterday. After all, he was up against Suh, Donald and Peters, all elite players. With no real deep threat, it's one heck of a job to make any big plays on that defense.

I reckon Gronk is done, and that both BB and himself knows it. Someone on twitter said it best: "He's got a massive energy drink empire to build".

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
D cost Tommy last year and paid him back this year.

Hopefully a more balanced performance at next year's Patriots Invitational.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Winning consistently in a sport with a salary cap >>>>>> winnings consistently when you're the richest club in the world

lsd

The Oracle
It’ll be interesting what happens with us in the off-season. We’ve lost our DC. I expect Gronk to retire. We need significant changes at WR. Wouldn’t surprise me if Trey Flowers leaves, but I’m hoping we give him a new contract. Gostowski’s contract is also up.

Then you wonder if Bill and/or Brady might call it a day. Neither seems the type to want to step away (Brady probably thinks he could play until 50), but what else is there left to achieve & what better way to go out?!

Im sure you will find another way to bore people stupid

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Does it ? Did you beat teams in other countries then ?
Yes, it does. You could argue if it was only 4, but 6 is just ridiculous. Especially in a league with a salary cap and draft system.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
but in a league designed to prevent one team dominating year after year, what the Pats have done for almost 20 years is insane.
Bills, Dolphins and Jets exist in recent memory only as Pats fodder. If you compare the Top 6 or 7 across both conference, NFC is definitely stronger. Excepting occassional challenge by Steelers and Broncos before them, Pats have remained on top despite not having a great team. The genius of Belichick cannot be underrated, but I'm not sure if Pats would have the same success rate if they were in NFC.

6 Super Bowls >>> 2 Champions Leagues
Meh, 6 SBs = 6 FA Cups at best.

Sgt.Major

I feel like I'm reading a script for "Giant White Shark vs Tyrannosaurus Rex". Let's compare the incomparable and spend half a day arguing over that.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'

Most overrated player in the history of professional sports.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Bills, Dolphins and Jets exist in recent memory only as Pats fodder. If you compare the Top 6 or 7 across both conference, NFC is definitely stronger. Excepting occassional challenge by Steelers and Broncos before them, Pats have remained on top despite not having a great team. The genius of Belichick cannot be underrated, but I'm not sure if Pats would have the same success rate if they were in NFC.

Glad that you didn't say league cup atleast

lsd

The Oracle
Yes, it does. You could argue if it was only 4, but 6 is just ridiculous. Especially in a league with a salary cap and draft system.

Pats winning the superbowl is the equivalent of Utd playing in league 1 all year round then going on to face Liverpool in a one off game .

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Fell asleep during the third quarter. Pile of shite this year.

Andrew~

Obvious troll is obvious. The only analogue we have in Europe for the Super Bowl is the Champions League. Even then, managing to maintain success with a salary cap over two decades requires an amount of skill that’s unimaginable.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Pats winning the superbowl is the equivalent of Utd playing in league 1 all year round then going on to face Liverpool in a one off game .
Yes, if League 1 had an equalizing salary cap and a draft system. It's hardly their fault that the Jets, etc. are mismanaged whilst operating under a system that promotes an even competition, and doesn't reward the biggest and richest clubs.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Obvious troll is obvious. The only analogue we have in Europe for the Super Bowl is the Champions League. Even then, managing to maintain success with a salary cap over two decades requires an amount of skill that’s unimaginable.
Unless you have teams from other countries, you really can't equate to CL. It is a domestic US tournament and so FA Cup is a more apt comparison.

As to managing Cap, Pat have stuck it rich with Brady who keeps restructuring his contract. I do agree there is lots of credit to be given to the way Pats managed their team...but then they did take full advantage of favourable conditions.

Andrew~

Unless you have teams from other countries, you really can't equate to CL. It is a domestic US tournament and so FA Cup is a more apt comparison.

As to managing Cap, Pat have stuck it rich with Brady who keeps restructuring his contract. I do agree there is lots of credit to be given to the way Pats managed their team...but then they did take full advantage of favourable conditions.
I don’t see how having teams from different countries adds to the difficulty level or makes it different. The point is that since you’re playing Champions from different leagues, you get more good quality matches.

The US is as big as Western Europe, with a massive population. So the effect of having teams from different states is the same, especially with salary caps and the draft system.

As for ‘favourable’ conditions. Sure, but that’s like saying big teams in the CL aren’t achieving anything big because they beat fodder like Young Boys to get to the knockout stages.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
I feel like I'm reading a script for "Giant White Shark vs Tyrannosaurus Rex". Let's compare the incomparable and spend half a day arguing over that.
Exactly this! Apples and oranges. There is just no way in this sort of argument that either side wins, the measure of greatness and the feat accomplished is so very different in both cases.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Pats winning is the equivalent of Ajax winning the CL over and over again, under the same manager. That manager would be considered the greatest ever by a huge stretch.

Sylar

Not to take anything away from the Patriots, cos they still gotta win the big one, but I reckon making it to the Superbowl is an easier route through AFC as opposed to NFC.

BB is defo the greatest though.

Skåre Willoch

I don’t see how having teams from different countries adds to the difficulty level or makes it different. The point is that since you’re playing Champions from different leagues, you get more good quality matches.

The US is as big as Western Europe, with a massive population. So the effect of having teams from different states is the same, especially with salary caps and the draft system.

As for ‘favourable’ conditions. Sure, but that’s like saying big teams in the CL aren’t achieving anything big because they beat fodder like Young Boys to get to the knockout stages.

Very good post.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Your next Welker/Amendola/Edelman just finished up his time at Clemson. Renfrow is tailor made for what the Pats do offensively.
They already have that player in Berrios, who was on IR this past year. He will be back next season.

Last edited:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin

Come on. Europe has twice the population of US. And the schools of football are totally different. They way the game is played in Italy is different from Spain. Various managers with their philosophies and tactics...it is far more diverse and varied than whatever you can find within AFC and NFC.

Plus I reckon football as a sport is more difficult to play than NFL. I honestly can't see NFL being at par with CL.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City

Eh? Europe's football is pulling the talent from all over the world, football is being played everywhere. American Football is primarily only played in the US and plays an incredible tiny role in other countries. I agree on the salary caps and draft system point, that's definitely a good hurdle in establishing dominance as a team but overall Uniteds dynastie is definitely more impressive than the Patriots one.